Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

52 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I love playing Fun with aggy Futility.  So you're saying we took two decades off from Omaha due to poor coaching hires and still managed to win as many in games in 3 days in 2016 as aggy has won in their entire history?  That doesn't seem possible.    

Next year is the year. 

• Like 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm assuming the answer is No. Pretty sure Randolph Duke knows the intricate details there, if you wanted to tag the guy. 

Another pertinent question was whether that academic adviser that helped aTm get Perry'd managed to implement his proposal that Professors get graded by a combination of student reviews, as well as how much "money" or "value" they bring to the university. I can't find any of the old articles (I'm sure I just can't find the right search terms) written about his education reforms for aTm, that he attempted to force onto UT and we resisted, but I distinctly remember one of them was the notion that students end up grading Professors at the end of term and that this tied somehow into their wages or their ability to get Tenure. I'd love to know if that has become part of the university. 

The more people they keep letting in, the more their stupid fucking culture is going to get watered down. I'm not sure if it's better to have more aggies that are 50% less weird and annoying, or less aggies that are 100% worth getting punched in the face every second of every day. 

Found some links:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/education/2011/05/11/the-central-flaw-in-the-seven

https://www.texastribune.org/2011/07/06/ut-dean-rejects-seven-solutions-in-new-report/

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/storming-the-ivory-tower/

Here was Sandefer's 7 Solutions:

7 Solutions

1. Measure teaching efficiency and effectiveness

Goal: "Improve the quality of teaching by making use of a public measurement tool to evaluate faculty teaching performance that makes it possible to recognize excellent teachers."

2. Publicly recognize and reward extraordinary teachers

Goal: "Create a financial incentive to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of teaching at Texas’ colleges and universities that will help attract the best teachers from across the nation."

3. Split research and teaching budgets to encourage excellence in both

Goal: "Increase transparency and accountability by emphasizing teaching and research as separate efforts in higher education, and making it easier to recognize excellence in each area."

4. Require evidence of teaching skill for tenure

Goal: "Highlight the importance of great teachers by evaluating teaching skill in nominating and awarding faculty tenure."

5. Use "results-based" contracts with students to measure quality

Goal: "Increase transparency and accountability to students with learning contracts between Deans, department heads, and teachers that clearly state the promises of each degree program to each student."

6. Put state funding directly in the hands of students

Goal: "Increase college access and make students the actual customers for higher education with student-directed scholarships for undergraduate and graduate education with funding from the state’s current appropriation that goes directly to colleges and universities." View full solution (PDF).

7. Create results-based accrediting alternatives

Goal: "Encourage greater competition in higher education and more choices for students by creating an alternative accrediting body that would focus on results and the college’s or university’s ability to uphold any obligation or promise made to the student."

That’s exactly why they are doing away with the portion of automatic acceptance that’s not government mandated. All those smart auto admits aren’t true aggy, or at least not enough of them. They are going to bend the rules as much as possible to limit the top 10% admissions and maximize holistic review admissions, with the main component of a “well rounded” applicant being are you aggy enough. 

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

I think this is their way to make their acceptance rate numbers look better than the 70+% they have now.   They comply with the top 10% rule which is required by law, but get rid of the other automatic admission from students who are good students (with good scores), but who fall out of the top 10%.  I would guess that these students use Texas A&M as more of a safety school so they are forced to admit them based on past rules they used but they probably yielded a poor percentage of admits compared to the the "Holistic" admissions.

And by Holistic what they mean is let's read their essay and if they seem delusional and mention TU, Teasip, Good Bull, etc then we will let them in no matter what and if they seem smart and discerning but not full on Red Ass then we will turn them down to make sure our admission percentage looks better.

It will make their acceptance rate and percentage enrolled look better but will drive down their GPA/SAT/ACT scores.

I think this is designed to get in kids from private schools or other schools that don't rank so they don't qualify for that top 25% of their class requirement. I personally know a kid who is a legacy with a composite ACT over 30 who graduated from a school that doesn't rank who had to go the Blinndergarten route his first year.  This is a kid who got into SMU.  That second category of auto-admits is probably pushing the # of holistic admits so far down that a kid like that can't get in.  A lot of public schools are now giving kids the option of not ranking.  My kids' school started that this year.  It might help get you into some schools but it could screw you on things like the top quarter/1360 requirement.  We decided to go with the ranking and take our chances.   

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That’s exactly why they are doing away with the portion of automatic acceptance that’s not government mandated. All those smart auto admits aren’t true aggy, or at least not enough of them. They are going to bend the rules as much as possible to limit the top 10% admissions and maximize holistic review admissions, with the main component of a “well rounded” applicant being are you aggy enough. 

So you are 100% in if you write an essay talking about how dad class of '92 and granddad class of '66 were both in the corp and they both never missed a midnight jiz- i mean yell practice.

4 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

So you are 100% in if you write an essay talking about how dad class of '92 and granddad class of '66 were both in the corp and they both never missed a midnight jiz- i mean yell practice.

You just need to submit a photo of yourself with your arm up a cow's ass. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

I think this is designed to get in kids from private schools or other schools that don't rank so they don't qualify for that top 25% of their class requirement. I personally know a kid who is a legacy with a composite ACT over 30 who graduated from a school that doesn't rank who had to go the Blinndergarten route his first year.  This is a kid who got into SMU.  That second category of auto-admits is probably pushing the # of holistic admits so far down that a kid like that can't get in.  A lot of public schools are now giving kids the option of not ranking.  My kids' school started that this year.  It might help get you into some schools but it could screw you on things like the top quarter/1360 requirement.  We decided to go with the ranking and take our chances.   

I always regret not attending Blinn Jr College

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Too many Asians and Indians getting into A&M these days - need more whites to balance that out

"Asians" is clear, but "Indians" is ambiguous. Are you talking tomahawk-wielding dog-eaters or red dot elephant thumpers?

Edited by Tex Long

38 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

"Asians" is clear, but "Indians" is ambiguous. Are you talking tomahawk-wielding dog-eaters or red dot elephant thumpers?

Well, since they just cut automatic academic acceptance and also announced fire water sales at football games, I guess he means both.

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The more people they keep letting in, the more their stupid fucking culture is going to get watered down. I'm not sure if it's better to have more aggies that are 50% less weird and annoying, or less aggies that are 100% worth getting punched in the face every second of every day. 

mqxngk0.png

8 hours ago, ABSR said:

I think this is their way to make their acceptance rate numbers look better than the 70+% they have now.   They comply with the top 10% rule which is required by law, but get rid of the other automatic admission from students who are good students (with good scores), but who fall out of the top 10%.  I would guess that these students use Texas A&M as more of a safety school so they are forced to admit them based on past rules they used but they probably yielded a poor percentage of admits compared to the the "Holistic" admissions.

And by Holistic what they mean is let's read their essay and if they seem delusional and mention TU, Teasip, Good Bull, etc then we will let them in no matter what and if they seem smart and discerning but not full on Red Ass then we will turn them down to make sure our admission percentage looks better.

It will make their acceptance rate and percentage enrolled look better but will drive down their GPA/SAT/ACT scores.

I don't think this will work they way you are saying it will and I actually don't think that is the goal of aggy to have it work how you say

people continue to debate it, but acceptance rate is a meaningless number as far as it pertains to the actual QUALITY of the student admitted.....it means absolutely nothing

aggy does not really care about that number anyway....they are doing this in a desperate attempt for some "diversity" which most will not believe for aggy, but it is what it is

the way this is going to fail them and the way it will fuck up their acceptance rate (which is again meaningless as far as quality of student goes) is that it is going to drive a lot of students that were formerly top 25% with a 1390/30 simply to not apply and that is going to dramatically lower their number of overall applicants

now at first it might help them some......100% of those top 25% 1390/30 are admitted to that is not beneficial to lowering acceptance rate (to lower acceptance rates you need to recruit students that are NOT admitted and have them apply and then reject them)

when they have fewer of those students (25% 1390/30) that they  guarantee admissions to that helps them....BUT the main issue that aggy has is they are still trying to grow enrollment thus they still need to admit the same number of students each year without regard to how many apply)<-----this is what fucks them

aggy is NOT trying to lower enrollment like UT and thus all of the auto admits UT can weed out they lower enrollment.....aggy still wants MORE students.....but they are about to weed out well qualified auto admits.....to maintain enrollment they will simply have to admit more "holistic review students"

but here is the problem most students with a 1390/30 top 25% (from a good high school especially) are not going to be in the mood to play the holistic review bullshit and waiting around to see if they get a full admit or get blinn  shit admit

so when those students start saying fuck it and not applying that lowers the overall number of applicants, but aggy still wants the same number of students to enroll or maybe even more to enroll....so to do that they have to admit more students from fewer applicants....and over time those admitted will be lower and lower in quality 

look at it like this if aggy has 36,000 applicants (just under what they had in 2017

they enrolled 10,154 in 2017 (so we will use 10,200 (because more good aggs = mo betta)

they had accepted 71% of those applicants (15,881 that were accepted made a CHOICE to go somewhere else)

now say they want 10,200 enrolled and they have 36,000 applicants and 70% of those enrolled were either top 10% or they were 11%-25% and had a 1390sat/30act

in 2017 11,762 (47%) of admits were top 10%

3,329 (13%) were auto admit (11% to 25% 1390/30)

3,944 (16%) were review

again these are ADMITS not enrolled

not at a quality university trying to reduce enrollment while trying to keep "diversity" you would be glad to get less applicants from that 13% with the auto admit metrics because then you take fewer of them, you keep the review numbers the same and you reduce enrollment (provided your "yield" of admitted then enrolled holds steady and more do not choose to enroll)

but what I think will happen with aggy is a large number of those 3,329 students will say fuck it I want to apply, and know that I am admitted I do not want to fuck around and wait to go through review and even if some do go to review they will still start looking much more aggressively at other schools and the "yield" of those that are admitted will drop as well

and again 100% of those 3,329 were admitted because they met the class rank and SAT/ACT

so now you get 1,000 of them that say fuck it and do not apply so that drop overall applications by 1,000 BUT those were 100% admits so bad for the (meaningless) admissions rate

but now you get another 200 out of the ones that do apply that look at other schools harder and decide to go elsewhere even after being admitted to aggy

in 2017 39% of those admitted enrolled to aggy so 39% of those 3,329 enrolled (may be higher or lower it is not broken down) so about 1,300 enrolled......well now you get 1,000 less applicants (so 390 less enrolling) and you have 200 of those that do apply that go elsewhere because they looked harder at other universities and you have lost 590 students that were going to enroll

and again for a school that is not aggy that would be great,.......but aggy needs more good ags and they just ran off 590 good ags that woke the fuck up and went elsewhere......so how do you make up for that.......you have to admit a shit load more review students so that you can hope that 39% of them choose to enroll

and the reality is they are not going to get more applicants from this they are going to get less.....true it will (IMO) be less applicants from those that were guaranteed admissions, but the fucked part is aggy will still need the enrollment so they will still need to admit about the same number of students to get that enrollment....from less applicants....and I think they will hurt their "yield" (applied and enrolled) because some that are eventually admitted will have decided on somewhere else......so to keep the actual enrollment you have to again admit MORE......and eventually it will get in a bad cycle of aggy being less and less appealing to top students because they will simply make a choice to go elsewhere......and there will not be a needed increase in unqualified applicants to reject to keep the acceptance rate from going higher

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

Texas A&M Aggies fans cheer on their team against the Louisiana Monroe Warhawks at Kyle Field on September 15, 2018 in College Station, Texas.

Bob Levey/Getty Images

Texas A&M University is expanding the availability for the purchase of beer and wine to the general public at Kyle Field starting this fall.

The plan follows a recently-announced decision by the Southeastern Conference to allow the sale of beer and wine in public areas during college athletic events.

Texas A&M’s implementation plan will comply with SEC alcohol management expectations, University policy, and state and local regulations governing alcohol sales and consumption.

Beginning this fall, a variety of domestic and imported beer and a selection of wine will be available for purchase to the general public until the end of the third quarter.

“This is another way we are enhancing the amenities at Kyle Field,” Interim Director of Athletics R.C. Slocum said. “We are extending the availability of alcohol beyond the premium areas which have had this option for many years. Fans, 21 and older, will have the option to purchase alcohol, regardless of seating area.”

In the past, SEC athletics programs have been prohibited from selling alcohol in public areas of SEC athletics venues. The new policy does not impact the type of service in suites, clubs or privately leased areas where alcohol was already allowed under SEC rules.

The new policy was adopted by SEC presidents and chancellors this spring. It requires institutions to designate stationary sales locations and prohibits sales by vendors in seating areas. It also limits the number of alcoholic beverages purchased per transaction.

“Our policy governing alcohol sales has been a source of considerable discussion and respectful debate among our member universities in recent years,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey.

“We are committed as a Conference to ensuring that all changes in policy are implemented in ways that respect and sustain the traditions that make the SEC game-day experience exceptional for all attendees,” Sankey said.

Expansion of alcohol sales at additional Texas A&M athletics venues will be determined at a later date.

Blah, blah, blah.   At least 5 years behind Big Brother, and sharp knows it.

When has "aggy" ever been associated with the concept of "respecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the people of Texas?"
"Holistic review" is code for "same old dumb, redneck aggy."

That’s what I thought. This gives them more of a chance to let in kids named Jed from Vidor and deny kids named Jugdish or Dinesh with 25 letters in his last name.

I love them bragging about undergrad salaries.  Maybe they do earn slightly more out of undergrad due to having more STEM majors (and it is not the typical aggy dishonesty fueled by their massive inferiority complex).  But it doesn't measure all the post grad degrees like law and MBA.  Take for example two friends who went to Texas undergad.  Both took low paying jobs in DC, one on W's staff and the other on Cornyn's.  So some aggy getting an entry level accounting job is going to blow them away on that survey.

Except both got MBAs and are now investment bankers pulling in several million a year.  It's fucking stupid.  We have far more billionaires.  Far more hundred millionaires.  Far more people worth 8 figures.  And far more alums who earn 7 figure incomes.  It is not all that close and never will be.

Hell, how do they even count people like me who went straight to law school in that survey.  

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I love them bragging about undergrad salaries.  Maybe they do earn slightly more out of undergrad due to having more STEM majors (and it is not the typical aggy dishonesty fueled by their massive inferiority complex).  But it doesn't measure all the post grad degrees like law and MBA.  Take for example two friends who went to Texas undergad.  Both took low paying jobs in DC, one on W's staff and the other on Cornyn's.  So some aggy getting an entry level accounting job is going to blow them away on that survey.

Except both got MBAs and are now investment bankers pulling in several million a year.  It's fucking stupid.  We have far more billionaires.  Far more hundred millionaires.  Far more people worth 8 figures.  And far more alums who earn 7 figure incomes.  It is not all that close and never will be.

Hell, how do they even count people like me who went straight to law school in that survey.  

Oh yeah, bet you didn't go to the extra most bestest fightin texum bulldog school for fancy law lernin

1 hour ago, Deej said:

No. They plan on adding more glory holes. 

Bunch of entitled, drunk assholes that had been tailgating for hours, then another four hours or watching your team get donkey-stomped is going to result in glorious boo-birds and other assorted fuckery.  I can't wait!

Has this been talked about yet?

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Texas-AM-University-Under-Investigation-for-Foreign-Funding-511255701.html

Texas A&M University Under Investigation for Foreign Funding

The Trump administration is reviewing foreign money to US colleges

Published Jun 13, 2019 at 5:17 PM

The U.S. Education Department is opening investigations into foreign funding at Georgetown University and Texas A&M University as the Trump administration increases its scrutiny of international money flowing to American colleges.

Letters sent to the schools Thursday and obtained by The Associated Press accuse the schools of failing to report gifts and contracts tied to their branch campuses in Qatar. Investigators also are demanding years of records related to funding from sources in China, Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Officials at Georgetown and Texas A&M haven't immediately responded to requests for comment.

Federal law requires colleges to report gifts or contracts with any foreign source amounting to $250,000 or more in a year. Some lawmakers say the Education Department has done too little to enforce the rule.

51 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

aggie+weird+twins+on+TV.jpg

"Jethro, pass me the flask "

And here we have the rare Bumpkin or Aggy Dandy in the wild.

Rarely venturing out of its natural pig farm habitat, the Aggy Dandy emerges each Fall to mate, drink and complain about people they’ve never met while refer to segregation at ‘the good ol days’. They characterized by their bright plumage, hubris and watching their obsession with glamor sports destroy a once decent university. Feeding largely on disappointment, these unique creatures will go back to their burrows earlier than others since his bowls are generally earlier, emerging the following spring.

/David Attenborough

Edited by Doc Reeves
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's pretty much the career equivalent of scheduling FCS schools

• Like 1