Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, Tex-19 said:

This would be a bit disappointing. I like the pods idea so everyone can play non-division teams more often. Would also hope for LSU-Bama to be permanent bc that game is always nails. Or Aggy-Bama to continue the regular beating.

Can we not call them “pods,” though?  It sounds goofy as all fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i think we're going to find that georgia is the closest thing to our culture and alumni profile, and florida are the most similar to us academically

everyone with connections to those alumni should reach out and form bridges where possible in their respective professions and careers

My best friend from . . . well, roughly birth . . . is a UT grad (MS-Petro Eng) and a UGA grad (Veterinary).  He's not exactly upset.

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'd put my money on it being an assistant to sankey. The message would have been simple enough for even a dipshit like sharpe to grasp. "You know, Mr. Sharpe, there are a couple thing abouts the SEC constitution, which by the way our conference schools approve every year, that I want to make certain you're specifically aware of. For example, the constitution gives the SEC commissioner "Full Discretionary Authority" to carry out his job. His responsibilities specifically include lining up potential additions to the conference when they make financial and competitive sense; these would be for the full Conference board to consider. Also he has Full Discretionary Authority in doling out any penalties to institutions whose behavior is contrary to the best interests of the Conference. These past few days have put A&M in grave danger of crossing that line. The conference urges you to carefully consider your next steps. And by the way the same 3/4ths majority it takes to admit a school to the conference is the same majority it takes to remove a school from the conference. Any questions?"

.... sharpe: silence

.... sharpe's talkie bird: "controlling brand".... "controlling brand".....

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'd put my money on it being an assistant to sankey. The message would have been simple enough for even a dipshit like sharpe to grasp. "You know, Mr. Sharpe, there are a couple thing abouts the SEC constitution, which by the way our conference schools approve every year, that I want to make certain you're specifically aware of. For example, the constitution gives the SEC commissioner "Full Discretionary Authority" to carry out his job. His responsibilities specifically include lining up potential additions to the conference when they make financial and competitive sense; these would be for the full Conference board to consider. Also he has Full Discretionary Authority in doling out any penalties to institutions whose behavior is contrary to the best interests of the Conference. These past few days have put A&M in grave danger of crossing that line. The conference urges you to carefully consider your next steps. And by the way the same 3/4ths majority it takes to admit a school to the conference is the same majority it takes to remove a school from the conference. Any questions?"

Actually only takes a 2/3 majority to kick someone out, I believe.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Evidently this is a move by the SEC powers that be meant to cripple the great Jimbo and prevent aggy football from becoming the fully operational Death Star they were clearly on track to becoming. Pooooooooor aggy

51554CD8-CCE4-4795-9BE6-4BC67F259AC1.jpeg

Yes, if there's two words aggy has been projecting over the last week, those words are definitely "tough guy." Nothing looks harder than sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming until the grownups in the room laugh at you or simply tune you out. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

This will be their new military school and scholarship limit excuse for not ever winning anything important. Just as they were on the rise the mean ole SEC and UT conspired to take down Jimbo. The next 30 years will be really fun in the state of Texas

Well, the world needs ditch-diggers, too.

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

..... and what on earth does he do with those 2 degrees?

Oh, that's not the end of it.  His veterinary background landed him a medical position in the Air Force as a Major at age ~ 45.  He's now a Lt. Colonel and is going to Army War College to try to help make full bird.

He serves in the reserves and sometimes goes to the sandbox, but when he's off military service, he is either a horse vet in the Athens-Savannah corridor or a petroleum engineering contractor, usually in North Dakota (Bakken) but sometimes in the middle east.

He's fucking nuts.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Lamar and Houston Baptist are about to get paid. Aggy, Texas, and OU will all probably schedule them. 

Oh, bullshit.  Texas is not going to start scheduling FCS teams.  The only exception might be as a replacement because of having to change the schedule for the next few years.

We will never routinely do it.

Just now, Telegraph_it said:

I could also go with a shrewdness or

a cauldron or

an obstinacy or 

a cackle

I do believe that is the term for a group of 3 or more Karen’s. I suggest we refrain for using that term because the SEC surely does not want to deal with their forthcoming sternly worded letter..

25 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the B12 is t going to die, and so this will go the legal/negotiated buy route.

We all talk about schools poaching the Tagalong 8, but which ones move the needle enough to make the move worthwhile?

Can you justify expansion to USC and UCLA by saying TT and OSU will bring in more $$?

Does bringing in KU, ISU or OSU fly with Minnesota or Michigan, knowing that those inclusions won’t increase the payout and will finally kill the dream of landing ND?

How do you sell WVU to the rest of the ACC, knowing they are only “valuable” for a group of 3 geographic rivals.

Maybe this. Tech and the Pokes need to accept the possibility of the PAC 12 standing pat. 

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

So when we move to the SEC does that mean realignment talk will go away?

Not completely as there is still the remaining issue of what the pac 12 does or the B1G. I bet the ACC takes West Virginia and then eventually the PAC 12 and B1G figure out what they want to do and then it’s done. 

18 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the B12 is t going to die, and so this will go the legal/negotiated buy route.

We all talk about schools poaching the Tagalong 8, but which ones move the needle enough to make the move worthwhile?

Can you justify expansion to USC and UCLA by saying TT and OSU will bring in more $$?

Does bringing in KU, ISU or OSU fly with Minnesota or Michigan, knowing that those inclusions won’t increase the payout and will finally kill the dream of landing ND?

How do you sell WVU to the rest of the ACC, knowing they are only “valuable” for a group of 3 geographic rivals.

I think you could make a case for Texas Tech and Oklahoma State expanding the Pac into new media markets, particularly into the states of Texas and Oklahoma.  Sure, Tech generally does not travel all that well.  But they have a fair number of alums in the major cities in Texas - probably enough to justify carrying Pac games on TV.  I would think that expanding the Pac into Texas TV markets in particular would be attractive to the Pac, and perhaps at worst make adding these schools a break-even proposition for the rest of the Pac.  If some of the rumors of the B1G forming a west coast division and raiding the Pac for members come to pass, the Pac is going to be desperate to get out in front of that and try and shore itself up.

Cultural fit of these two schools in the Pac has been raised as a potential issue, but let's not forget that Washington State in particular is located in the thriving metropolis of Pullman, Washington.  If you've never been to Pullman - well, let's just say it makes both Stillwater and Lubbock look absolutely cosmopolitan by comparison.  I don't think this will be as big of an issue as some people make it out to be.

West Virginia to the ACC is perhaps a tougher sell - but really, what other options does the ACC have for expansion at this point?

26 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I'm open to change.  I just kind of wish OU/Tex/TT/OkSU had gone to Pac.  Because poor Pac.

Furk.

yeah, i'll admit...on my list of preferred conf realignment options this^ was actually at the top.

i understand all the logical reasons the SEC is the better option, and mainlining aggy schaudenfraude the past 4 days certainly makes it easier (and perhaps worth it lol)...but in general i would have preferred the above. if the PAC actually cared about football (outside of maybe what 2, 3 teams??) maybe it would have happened 😄

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2