Dear Texas, we need to have a conversation about Louie Gohmert

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's amazing what Luigi and the others allow on TexAgs, given that they are closely tied to aggy athletics.  Whether it's threads like that, or the nearly-thousand page qanon thread.

It amazes me that Luici and the others never stop to think "what if a bunch of aggy recruits saw these threads or somebody got these threads going viral on twitter?"

You used the word "think," and that is not off to a great start.

I believe they (the posters and perhaps the owners) are somewhat proud and self-righteous about it. It's their brand and if someone doesn't like it, they tell them that the highway runs both ways. They got pretty mad at their quarterback, a quarterback they never seemed all that fond of, although he seemed okay to me. We'll see how they do without him.

It's amazing what Luigi and the others allow on TexAgs, given that they are closely tied to aggy athletics.  Whether it's threads like that, or the nearly-thousand page qanon thread.
It amazes me that Luici and the others never stop to think "what if a bunch of aggy recruits saw these threads or somebody got these threads going viral on twitter?"

Wait until Arch Making sees DT

On 6/9/2021 at 10:33 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh, and another thing, there hasn’t been any increase in solar output like the anthropogenic global warming deniers like to blame for global warming. Claiming there’s been an increase in solar flares was more bullshit. Solar flares happen. They have nothing to do with climate change.

Yes, there has been a recent increase in solar activity in the last year.  But.... this is just part of the normal 11 year Solar cycle and we are currently just coming off of the Solar minimum between cycles 24 and 25 (the current one).  So Solar activity for the last couple of years has been LOWER than the average.  Furthermore, the peak of Solar cycles 23 and 24 were LOWER than many of the peaks observed in modern times.

We Ham Radio operators love those Solar cycle peaks.  The shortwave radio bands really come to life.  I wish I was around for Cycle 19 in the late 1950's, which was legendary.  There are a couple of different measurements of "solar activity" one of them being the number of sunspots (more spots = more output).  Cycle 19 had 129 average daily sunspots.  Cycle 24 had only 49.

In a nutshell, Solar output is not causing this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_cycles

2 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Yes, there has been a recent increase in solar activity in the last year.  But.... this is just part of the normal 11 year Solar cycle and we are currently just coming off of the Solar minimum between cycles 24 and 25 (the current one).  So Solar activity for the last couple of years has been LOWER than the average.  Furthermore, the peak of Solar cycles 23 and 24 were LOWER than many of the peaks observed in modern times.

We Ham Radio operators love those Solar cycle peaks.  The shortwave radio bands really come to life.  I wish I was around for Cycle 19 in the late 1950's, which was legendary.  There are a couple of different measurements of "solar activity" one of them being the number of sunspots (more spots = more output).  Cycle 19 had 129 average daily sunspots.  Cycle 24 had only 49.

In a nutshell, Solar output is not causing this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_cycles

The scientific consensus on AGW has been agreed upon for decades. There’s no correlation between solar output and global warming. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The scientific consensus on AGW has been agreed upon for decades. There’s no correlation between solar output and global warming. 

Yes, this is just their latest flailing about trying to deny reality.  First they denied climate change entirely.  Now that it's clear it's occurring, welp, it's beyond our control and nothing we can do about it.  I hope they all drown.

• 2 months later...

Our pet's heads are on fire! /LloydChristmas.

I heard a panel on this at an alternative energy conference awhile back about the birds blowing up.  It is a legitimate thing.

However, I like how Gohmert takes the industry term about the burning birds "streamers" and instead uses the term "flamers"...every accusation is a...?

When those charred birds arise from the flamed ashes that once doomed them, we are all gonna be sorry.  

"I FEEL REBORN!  I'm like a Phoenix, rising from Arizona!"

"Nevada, Dad." 

"Shut up George."  

• 2 weeks later...

Goobmart stood in front of school age yutes  and touted Ivermectin.

On Friday, in a speech at the Texas Youth Summit, Representative Louie Gohmert touted ivermectin as an effective treatment for Covid-19, despite there being no substantiated scientific evidence to back this up

It is a strange thing to witness, over time, the segment of society once proud of being “low information” transform into thinking themselves experts on everything.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2021/08/29/ivermectin-a-40-year-old-anti-parasitic-now-embedded-in-a-covid-19-culture-war/amp/

Edited by Willfully Horn
Yutes, youts, or utes

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

If you give Louie Gohmert 1 million dollars by Nov 19th, he will run for Attorney General.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/U-S-Rep-Louie-Gohmert-considers-opposing-Texas-16606271.php

He must think the AG spot will help his future aspirations (maybe a run at the Senate?).

But he also smells blood in the water, since he has no problem trying to primary another Republican.  

And I'd say he has an outside shot.

5 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Mentioned financial and legal issues. If Paxton is indicted (after 27626527523 years) after the primary, no replacement can be put on ballot

Gohmert was a former state judge - makes me wonder if somebody he knows approached him about it, knowing that there is a chance, no matter how slight, that Paxton could fuck over the GOP by sticking around and then being indicted.

And Gohmert has Trump's approval, as do some of the others.

And this is pretty brutal coming from Gohmert:

“Texas & our nation hang in the balance.”

“We need a Texas Attorney General whose top attorneys working for him have not found it necessary to send a letter to the FBI urging an investigation into corruption of their boss,”

Edited by atomheartbevo

48 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Imagine how shitty one person has to be for Louie Fuckin Gohmert to think - “That person isn’t ethical enough to hold elected office”

As entertaining as it might be to think the synapses in his little lizard brain fired enough to create such a thought, it is guaranteed it never crossed his mind.

He recognized a situation he can use to his advantage, period.  He thought, "Man, I could be AG of Texas, and after that, King of the Wuuurrrrllldddd!"  

Ken Paxton's ethics, or lack thereof, never entered the equation.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

As entertaining as it might be to think the synapses in his little lizard brain fired enough to create such a thought, it is guaranteed it never crossed his mind.

He recognized a situation he can use to his advantage, period.  He thought, "Man, I could be AG of Texas, and after that, King of the Wuuurrrrllldddd!"  

Ken Paxton's ethics, or lack thereof, never entered the equation.

This.  AG of Texas when things are in flux and Texas politicians at the state level are generating/courting controversy on a nationwide scale is a better stepping stone than some House member who gets ignored a lot.

2 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Mentioned financial and legal issues. If Paxton is indicted (after 27626527523 years) after the primary, no replacement can be put on ballot

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Gohmert was a former state judge - makes me wonder if somebody he knows approached him about it, knowing that there is a chance, no matter how slight, that Paxton could fuck over the GOP by sticking around and then being indicted.

And Gohmert has Trump's approval, as do some of the others.

And this is pretty brutal coming from Gohmert:

“Texas & our nation hang in the balance.”

“We need a Texas Attorney General whose top attorneys working for him have not found it necessary to send a letter to the FBI urging an investigation into corruption of their boss,”

Wait--are y'all suggesting he is going to run as an independent?

45 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Wait--are y'all suggesting he is going to run as an independent?

Nope.  

Gohmert still has plenty of connections.  I'd be surprised if he didn't already have the $1 million lined up, and was just trying to get the rank-and-file Republicans who don't care for Paxton and the others to chip in more.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a group of Republican BMD types got together and urged him to run.  I don't see him coming up with this idea on his own, and I could see plenty of Republican bigwigs in the state who are not keen on Paxton/Guzman/Bush/Krause, and who think somebody like Gohmert could get some people out to vote in the primary that maybe the other four couldn't bring out.

This isn't about the general election - the (R) will win that, this is all about the primary.  

Could Guzman, Bush, or Krause beat Paxton in a runoff?  Could Gohmert do it?  That's what this comes down to.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Question - pretend Gomert runs and actually wins Texas AG and sends Paxton packin' (yes - I should be a political consultant), is Texas better off or worse off than they are now?

Pros:  Paxton gone, Gomert not going to embarrass Texas in Congress, Gomert probably gets Trump's backing (Paxton loses not only Trump pardon, but also Trump endorsement)

Cons: Gomert's seat likely filled with some East Texas dipshit, Gomert continues to file similar ridiculous lawsuits as Paxton did

1 hour ago, Disco Strangler said:

Question - pretend Gomert runs and actually wins Texas AG and sends Paxton packin' (yes - I should be a political consultant), is Texas better off or worse off than they are now?

Pros:  Paxton gone, Gomert not going to embarrass Texas in Congress, Gomert probably gets Trump's backing (Paxton loses not only Trump pardon, but also Trump endorsement)

Cons: Gomert's seat likely filled with some East Texas dipshit, Gomert continues to file similar ridiculous lawsuits as Paxton did

If Gohmert wins the primary, there are some bonuses right off for the Texas GOP (and he will win the general).

Texas Pro: Doesn't have an AG whose own hand-picked aides ratted him out to the feds because he's that corrupt

Texas Con: AG continues filing ridiculous lawsuits, embarrassing Texas on the national stage.

Texas GOP Pro: Don't have to worry about Paxton going down between the primary and the general election, handing the election to a Democrat

Texas GOP Pro: Don't have to worry about Paxton going down after the general for that matter - Republicans don't want the specter of a sitting AG being nailed as voters look ahead to 2024.

Texas GOP Con: Still have to worry about Paxton taking down any Republicans that he can, and he's not as protected, so will be more desperate.  I have no doubt that Paxton gets called to the carpet once he leaves office, and he does not go down in a vacuum.

As a state, we are slightly better off, but still going to be embarrassed as usual.

The Texas GOP is much better off.  They still run a solid risk of Paxton being indicted once he's out of office, and trying to take down other Republicans, but he won't be the sitting AG (and AG Gohmert would probably make an example out of him) and he doesn't toss the election to the Dems if he was indicted after the primary.

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Texas Con: AG continues filing ridiculous lawsuits, embarrassing Texas on the national stage.

You left out a pretty big con in my book. Louis Gohmert was one of the speakers at the Million MAGA march in November of 2020, and continued to push the Big LIe even after the coup attempt. HE filed the lawsuit saying Mike Pence had the authority to decide which votes count, which not only supports your Texas Con listed above, but perhaps implies that he would not recognize any fairly contested elections in which he did not like the outcome. Don't know if he and the current Secretary of State (John B Scott) get along in that regard although Scott was participating in the audits after being appointed by the governor.

“They rose up though all over Egypt, and as a result of the people rising up in the greatest numbers in history, ever anywhere, they turned the country around …. If they can do that there, think of what we can do here,” he told thousands of cheering Trump supporters in downtown Washington at Saturday’s “Million MAGA March.”

The tea party Republican was one of a number of speakers at a plaza near the White House, where demonstrators waving flags and Trump banners readily agreed that Trump should not concede.

“This was a cheated election and we can’t let it stand,” said Gohmert, a Tyler Republican and former trial judge who easily won a ninth term this month.

Dallas Morning News, November 16, 2020

So I'm old enough to remember a guy named Jim Hightower.  Jim was the guy the Dems put put into the Ag Commissioner spot that was the final nail that made people realize that the Dems had lost touch with the populace, and it was why we started to see more people finally quit being yellow dog dems and flip to Republicans in enough mass to change us to a reliably red state.  Could Gomer be the equivalent on the right?  Could enough smart people finally get pushed to far when faced with a raging moron as the top lawyer in the state?  I hope so.