Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Pro Football Talk (Mike Florio/Chris Simms) spent a full segment on the Colts with about 10 minutes on Sam and Jacob. Bigger focus on Sam. This game Saturday is a big test for both. They both said it’s a bigger competition than was realized between the two of them. Simms said Jacob met the eye test with big time throws and more risk/reward type player whereas Sam more controlled and conservative (I didn’t see that in the pregame Sunday but whatever.) I am an admitted homer so…duh. But Minny is a big test. I’m guessing by that point they won’t be splitting the reps equally. 

On 8/15/2021 at 11:03 PM, ATXbronco said:

I'd forgotten how much fun it is to root for Sam in a football game.

It always seems ike his next play will be the most amazing thing ever.
It never is, but sometimes it gets close.

And that's enough to keep me rooting for him.

Couldn't agree more. He always reminded me of Bret Favre without the regarded mistakes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here is the deal my friend. First, let me go back to the beginning and why I was so against Tom Herman coming here.
   Tom Herman's(Urban Meyer's) offense is very heavy on the QB carrying the football. It needs it in order to be dynamic. That said, the kind of athlete you need at the QB position for it to be special is a rarity. Herman STUMBLED into Greg Ward Jr at UH. It was complete luck. Ward had been playing receiver even though he was a QB in high school. Undersized guy, but had all the tools to be special in an offense like that. The coach prior to him Tony Levine, had just figured out his best QB was playing wide receiver, and inserted him into the starting lineup. Tom Herman walks in and here is this kid tailor made for his playbook. If not for that none of us know who Tom Herman even is.
   However, if you are not an elite athlete not only does it take away a huge chunk of the offensive effectiveness, but it gets the QB pretty beat up along the way. So what you are seeing is a Sam Ehlinger who is completely healthy. When you get popped in the ribs, and then try to make throws, no matter how tough you are that's going to affect how the ball comes out. To put it in perspective, Mac Jones(Bama QB) carried the ball 51 times over 2 years. Sam carried the ball 554 times over 4. Sam was constantly playing nicked up, which turns ordinary throws into adventures. I do not know what Sam will be in the NFL, but I do know we will see a far better Sam than we did with Herman.

To follow up on this, Ward led UofH to 28 points in the final quarter in their bowl game prior to Herman’s arrival. So he was primed upon That arrival. And I wouldn’t say accuracy was his best attribute.

I’d say you can classify running QBs differently from dual threats. Herman’s offense requires a running QB. And that QB will never be as accurate as a Lincoln Riley or Mike Leach system guy. Fewer reps throwing. And not just hits to the ribs but a helmet to the shoulder or 4 quarters of body blows. Even just the intensity of running all take a toll. Sam does look thinner with the Colts so the body type and off season regimen are probably different. Even a physical run from the QB one play followed by a needed touch pass the next play adds some complexity.

Sam actually was a pretty accurate short and intermediate thrower as a Soph and Junior and improved on the deep ball. The oddity of his senior season was going deep too often, but that was stated to be Yurvichs thing so it makes you wonder. They were rarely bad decisions as it was often 1 on 1, but there were likely higher percentage shorter options.

It is interesting that the WRs are said to have troubles creating separation and even catching balls this fall. Eagles was already let go by the Cowboys. We’ve added Worthy and Omeire is back. Poor receiver play can worsen QB anticipation issues, which the Colts seem to highlight decisive decision making as a positive.

NFL success would be awesome but unlikely. That’s for anyone as it requires the right system and situation. Sam just plays the game the way it should be played. He’s a Longhorn and he represents. So for all those things go kick some tail.

Signed a non-Westlake fan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Reich on Sam:

Q: You’ve mentioned before Sam Ehlinger and the ‘It Factor’ he has. I know it may be hard to describe, you’ve mentioned that before, but can you just picture what that ‘It Factor’ is that you’ve noticed over the last few months alongside Sam?

“Yeah, I mean, he just exudes confidence. I would say one, when he steps into the huddle, you just know this guy is a natural leader. I think guys think he’s going to find a way, just like he did on the last drive of the game to make a play. I think that’s what he’s done his whole career. He’s a winner. And then I think the ‘It Factor’ is as a leader. It’s not just about you, it’s about the rest of the team. And I think guys sense he’s a team-first guy. There’s very little ego involved. So, those are a few of the things that I perceive about his ‘It Factor.’”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2021/8/16/22627914/frank-reich-on-michael-strachan-sam-ehlinger-position-battles-knot-today-foundation-and-much-more

Hope Sam will be in practice today. Competition is close but Eason appears to be favored. Next few days are super important. 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

19 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

NTTAWWT, however I think the Carolina jersey is closer to a teal color even though they refer to it as blue.

I am a male, the ability to discern periwinkle from lavender does not exist in this dojo.   But I am pretty sure the girl in blue is wearing blue.  The dudes on the field are wearing teal.  But you are the expert.

Edited by Nivek

Hopefully, Sam can kick some ass this weekend. Had a shaky practice today (not sure what his illness was/non-Covid—if it was food poisoning or what.) he did finish well with TD drive. Most reporters said he wasn’t as efficient and didn’t talk to the press as per usual and speculated he was still not feeling well. 

The shitty part about getting so excited to see a former UT QB, especially Sam, in the mix and making headlines in the NFL preseason, is that I want so badly for him to do well and make the team. I want him to outplay/out kick his draft position and what the doubters think about him. I’m such a goober homer.

It would be amazing if Sam were able to beat out Eason (who has had a solid week’s worth more reps with the ones than Sam.) I don’t dislike Eason but the Colts either saw something they really think is worthwhile to explore with Sam OR they thought Eason really needed a friendly competition with Sam. Sam has said he likes Eason and they work together well and are helping each other. Hard to say.

But Sam is getting to start the Vikings game with the ones (more ones will be playing shading the Vikings than played the last game) and if it were truly clear cut (Eason is their guy) I figure with the uncertainty about when Wentz will start (it looks like week 1) that the most valuable reps would go to Eason? Or maybe they just want to see how Eason will do with the twos and threes to see if eason can do as well as Sam did against the Panthers with the same twos/threes?

Anyone more knowledgeable about this shit that would like to weigh in on how preseason works or why this is still considered among the Colts insiders a heated competition b/w Eason and Sam?  

Lotsa fuckups in that piece: obviously, the pronunciation of “Ehlinger.” It tells me no one in the booth has the balls to get in the ear of Florio or Simms to correct them (which is the job of a producer). It is an easy mistake to make if you’re not that familiar with the name, and Florio started down that road and Simms might have heard the way he said it, and just followed suit (I can’t know this, but I’m betting he had a nagging suspicion they were saying it wrong, but didn’t have the full confidence to correct Florio... as mentioned in the piece, Chris was familiar with the Sam toddler video, so he’s heard “Ehlinger” with the hard “g,” likely many times). Also, Florio said Sam was undrafted and the stat line in the graphic had no interceptions for Sam. 

• Rage+1 2

Hope someone has a good streaming link for tonite’s 7:00 pm CT preseason game bc unless you’re in Indy/Minny it’s not on tv. Excited for Sam that the whole Colts organization is supportive of him. Case in point:

Thought about getting the 7 day free trial NFL pass…but…

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Hope someone has a good streaming link for tonite’s 7:00 pm CT preseason game bc unless you’re in Indy/Minny it’s not on tv. Excited for Sam that the whole Colts organization is supportive of him. Case in point:

https://www.streameast.live/ab/

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, I was looking earlier. Guess we really need to see the Texan-Cowboys game on two different channels.
  • Hook 'Em 1

How to watch Sam Ehlinger make his first start for the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday

Cami Griffin
Fri, August 20, 2021, 10:37 AM·1 min read

Former Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger was selected by the Indianapolis Colts in the sixth round of the 2021 NFL draft.

Due to question marks surrounding his arm strength and accuracy, Ehlinger was considered a developmental quarterback at the professional level according to numerous NFL draft analysts.

However, his relentless attitude, competitive nature, leadership qualities and maturity were on full display the moment he walked into the Colts building as a rookie.

Ehlinger entered his first NFL training camp with hopes of competing alongside second-year quarterback Jacob Eason to become the primary backup to starter Carson Wentz.

When Wentz suffered a foot injury early on in training camp, with his return still unknown at this point, Ehlinger suddenly found himself in the mix to receive meaningful snaps as a rookie.

He took complete advantage of the opportunity and was awarded first-team reps throughout the last week of training camp due to his consistent play. After Eason started the Colts’ first preseason game against the Carolina Panthers, it’s Ehlinger’s turn to make the start against the Minnesota Vikings on Saturday.

Ehlinger is expected to play the majority of the first half, while Eason will take over for the second half. Oddly enough, the former Texas star will be battling against former Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond, who is likely to receive the start for the Vikings.

Against the Panthers, Ehlinger he threw for 155 yards on 10-of-15 passing and was the team’s leading rusher with 30 yards.

Here’s how to tune in as Ehlinger makes his first NFL start on Saturday:

When

Saturday, August 21, 7 p.m. CDT

Where

U.S. Bank Stadium (Minneapolis, Minnesota)

How to watch

ABC, CBS, FOX

https://sports.yahoo.com/watch-sam-ehlinger-first-start-153748656.html

• Hook 'Em 1

^ The above…

“Where to Watch” article reads like it was written by a regarded fan girl. 

Maybe Austin will have the game on some channel, but I seriously doubt that all of Texas can watch the game on ABC, CBS, & FOX.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1