Cam Rising is on the transfer portal...

Fug

Makes no sense.  He is basically being prepped to have the keys handed to him his RS Jr year with guys like Ingram, Eagles, jake smith and Whittington as Jrs and sophomores.  That gives him two years to be in a high scoring offense.  This is what healthy programs do.  Seems like he wants waste his RS freshman year learning a new system with no guarantees of starting at a lesser program.  Good luck to him.  Not sure why you’d give up being the man at Texas just to possibly play a year earlier.   In addition, wherever he lands, they will still recruit QBs behind him and I’m sure he’ll have to compete with an upper classman.   

Edited by victory88

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You used the word "decided".

It may or may not be much of a "decision". Let's see how he holds up in year 3 before throwing a Sam dart at the big-board with a blindfold on.

He’s already being touted as a Heisman candidate for next season. If he somehow finishes top 3 in that race and we make the CFB playoffs, I can see him easily getting a high draft grade. Hell he’s already more pro-ready than Tebow and he went 1st round.

I do think he’ll have a decision to make, but I’d lean toward him returning.

Edited by Nope

2 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

So how does this transfer portal thing work? Once you’re on it, you’re gone? Or is it used like testing the draft waters as an underclassmen?

Testing the waters..... Could still stay at Texas.

By putting name in portal, other Coaches can contact and recruit the player....

3 minutes ago, Nope said:

He’s already being touted as a Heisman candidate for next season. If he somehow finishes top 3 in that race and we make the CFB playoffs, I can see him easily getting a high draft grade. Hell he’s already more pro-ready than Tebow and he went 1st round.

Oh, good, I love quoting myself from 10 minutes prior. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Let's see how he holds up in year 3 before throwing a Sam dart at the big-board with a blindfold on.

It just seems weird. You would think that when rising notified Herman; herm would have to be like wtf? 

Sam has gotten hurt both seasons and rising should be QB2 next year. 

This only means Shane isn’t leaving and rising doesn’t get the feeling that he’s got a shot next year. 

Glad Rising waited to post on transfer portal until after all the 2019 Recruits (except Shepherd) had signed LOIs for NSD1.....

If he wants to stay at Texas, great..... if not, it appears he's handling the possible transfer in a respectful way....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

It just seems weird. You would think that when rising notified Herman; herm would have to be like wtf? 

Sam has gotten hurt both seasons and rising should be QB2 next year. 

This only means Shane isn’t leaving and rising doesn’t get the feeling that he’s got a shot next year. 

This has more to do with Sam than Shane. 

Edited by po elvis

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Jesus. Does no one want to work anymore? You’re a true fresh that redshirted and all the sudden the path to starting is to hard so quit and move on?  Just as we started to build depth too.  Oh well next man up. 

You have a very finite amount of time to play college football given the rules.  I'm sure every transfer would like to stay, but the writing is on the wall so good luck.  

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

At the time Rising committed and even when he signed, he probably didn't think Sam had a vicegrip on the starting job.

this is the answer. Sam looked questionable his freshman year.  played mostly lights out this year.  the reason I'd want to keep Cam is that Sam has an injury history and I'd rather have Cam behind Sam.  love Shane but I wish he had transferred. there is not more upside with him in this offense.  It will be OK unless Rising turns out to be a complete stud, CT transfers also, or Sam gets hurt.

2019- Sam, Shane, Casey, Rojo(RS)

2020- Sam, Casey, Rojo, Card(RS), Shane Grand transfer?

2021- three way battle at QB between casey, Rojo and Card (hopefully with Preston Stone RS as well)

dont blame rising for wanting out instead of just hoping for the best in 2021. Really thought he could beat out Shane for QB2 this year

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is the answer. Sam looked questionable his freshman year.  played mostly lights out this year.  the reason I'd want to keep Cam is that Sam has an injury history and I'd rather have Cam behind Sam.  love Shane but I wish he had transferred. there is not more upside with him in this offense.  It will be OK unless Rising turns out to be a complete stud, CT transfers also, or Sam gets hurt.

If Casey is better he'll play over Shane. Shane doesn't play into the QB calculus at all.

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If Casey is better he'll play over Shane. Shane doesn't play into the QB calculus at all.

IMO Shane hanging around was part of Rising's calculus in looking to transfer.  battling for #2 vs. #3.    if shane is still around there aren't enough practice snaps to try to get to #2 or even #1.  after next year it would be Sam(sr), rising(soph), CT(soph), RJ(RS frosh). one injury away from possibly starting as a rs soph.

I'd rather have a QB room of Sam, Rising, Thompson, Johnson.  I do agree that he may not like all the running the QB needs to do until we really fix the OL.

Hope Thompson is good.

It is nice to have a QB room where one transfer isn't a disaster.

Man this sucks.  With Sam playing so well this year, I guess these younger guys see it as a foregone conclusion that barring injury, they are going to have to battle for 2 years of playing time.  If Shane ends up sticking that's pretty fucking awesome of him.  Hope Roshon is the real deal.  Looks to be the case.  What we got in the next class?  (Sorry I don't follow recruiting that far ahead).

Our choices are:

1. Starting QB impressive, returning; more than one backup; more in pipeline. At least one backup at risk to leave.

2. Starting QB not impressive or no clear starter.

3. Obvious hole at depth or in pipeline.

4. Fantasyland in which great starters come back and all the depth and recruits are happy to forego playing CFB so that our depth chart remains optimal. These guys have 5 to play 4.3, and that’s it forever. In the real world, that leads to tough choices.

10 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Man this sucks.  With Sam playing so well this year, I guess these younger guys see it as a foregone conclusion that barring injury, they are going to have to battle for 2 years of playing time.  If Shane ends up sticking that's pretty fucking awesome of him.  Hope Roshon is the real deal.  Looks to be the case.  What we got in the next class?  (Sorry I don't follow recruiting that far ahead).

It means we finally have a starting QB. I wouldn't say that sucks.

For 2019, we just signed Roschon Johnson, dual threat out of PNG. He was the top guy on our board for the whole cycle.
For 2020, we already have a commitment from Hudson Card, another dual threat out of Lake Travis. He's a plus athlete but the jury is still out on his future as a QB and consensus view right now is that we'll continue to pursue other QB options as well.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

For 2019, we just signed Roschon Johnson, dual threat out of PNG. He was the top guy on our board for the whole cycle.
For 2020, we already have a commitment from Hudson Card, another dual threat out of Lake Travis. He's a plus athlete but the jury is still out on his future as a QB and consensus view right now is that we'll continue to pursue other QB options as well.

Thanks

Rising could beat out Shane next year to become #2. Sounds like:

1. He's not getting enough positive reinforcement from the coaches.

or

2. He's talked it over with them and they've told him that there are no guarantees (subtext, we don't like you enough to promise you anything at all.)

or

3. Rising took a look at the competition and a family member began looking around quietly, maybe already had a "friend" of a friend with a top program who is more serious about Cam''s future.

If any of these assumptions are wrong, enlighten me. I'd hate to see him go, but it sounds like we're in pretty good shape at QB. Too bad about Shane, but he is not the guy.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

IMO Shane hanging around was part of Rising's calculus in looking to transfer.  battling for #2 vs. #3.    if shane is still around there aren't enough practice snaps to try to get to #2 or even #1.  after next year it would be Sam(sr), rising(soph), CT(soph), RJ(RS frosh). one injury away from possibly starting as a rs soph.

I'd rather have a QB room of Sam, Rising, Thompson, Johnson.  I do agree that he may not like all the running the QB needs to do until we really fix the OL.

Hope Thompson is good.

It is nice to have a QB room where one transfer isn't a disaster.

You'd have to think it depends on how good these young guys are.  Shane is good but by no means a perfect fit for Herman's offense.  It was obvious both freshman sat this year to get experience and save a year of eligibility.  It does seem a foregone conclusion that Sam is the starter barring injury given how he played this year.  I would not assume backup is gifted to Shane without competition, and we all know our backup is likely to get real playing time any given year. 

If Rising or Thompson don't think they can win the backup spot over Shane, or if the prospect of meaningful playing time as a rs freshman isn't enough to keep them around, well OK.