Jimbo 2021: Meemaw's Got a Brand New Bag

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

It was her personal trainer who was a former Florida Gator 

that was one - Tyler Jacobs (former UF WR). there were several. The FSU tennis kid was another. There was an FSU LB as well. There was a young lawyer dude. @TBGFL likely knows more. The main rumor for years in Tallahassee was that it was fine for her to do so, if Jimbo watched but when he wasn't involved it pissed him off. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

that was one - Tyler Jacobs (former UF WR). there were several. The FSU tennis kid was another. There was an FSU LB as well. There was a young lawyer dude. @TBGFL likely knows more. The main rumor for years in Tallahassee was that it was fine for her to do so, if Jimbo watched but when he wasn't involved it pissed him off. 

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Absolutely the B-team of college graphics departments. 2/3 of this shit is illegible.

EgSZWO_XYAEjnZl?format=jpg&name=small

This graphic represents jimbo's personality. He speaks and recruits just like this graphic illustrates, a bit like Mack did. They'll say nothing and everything then force the parents/kids/uncles to select where he then focuses. If that fails, just dial up adidas and money bags.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:
34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

ESPN projecting aggys win 6.2 games this season (ESPN.com/FPI)

Sounds about right. 

Frankly, six wins appears to be best case scenario?

Vandy - W

Bama - L

Florida - L

Mississippi State - W

Arky - W

South Carolina - W

Tennessee - W

Ole Miss - W

LSU - L

Auburn - L

Final record 6-4.

that was one - Tyler Jacobs (former UF WR). there were several. The FSU tennis kid was another. There was an FSU LB as well. There was a young lawyer dude. [mention=1906]TBGFL[/mention] likely knows more. The main rumor for years in Tallahassee was that it was fine for her to do so, if Jimbo watched but when he wasn't involved it pissed him off. 
There were several but the tennis kid and Taylor Jacobs are the most well known. What most people don't know is that Jimbo was banging his way around Tallahassee as well.

I heard one person say "well I guess Candi is getting back at him". People painted him as a victim and her as a whore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Vandy - W

Bama - L

Florida - L

Mississippi State - W

Arky - W

South Carolina - W

Tennessee - W

Ole Miss - W

LSU - L

Auburn - L

Final record 6-4.

I think they upset one of the 4 and lose to one of the 6

27 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Vandy - W

Bama - L

Florida - L

Mississippi State - W

Arky - W

South Carolina - W

Tennessee - W

Ole Miss - W

LSU - L

Auburn - L

Final record 6-4.

@ Tennessee or @ Mississippi State could very easily be a loss.  Maybe both.

32 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Vandy - W

Bama - L

Florida - L

Mississippi State - W

Arky - W

South Carolina - W

Tennessee - W

Ole Miss - W

LSU - L

Auburn - L

Final record 6-4.

I think they split the Mississippi games

12 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@ Tennessee or @ Mississippi State could very easily be a loss.  Maybe both.

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I think they split the Mississippi games

Sounds like you all agree me that six wins is a best case scenario for them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

• I'm going to start with this: We're only a week or so into fall camp, but when it comes to things like energy, buy-in, depth, leadership and team chemistry, this squad is night and day different than what Jimbo Fisher saw a year ago. Things like seniors sending messages about being socially responsible in these unprecedented times as students return to campus. Younger, second-year guys like DeMarvin Leal are emerging as team leaders. Nearly fifteen seniors expected to either start or play key roles (as opposed to just two last year). There has even been a team meeting or two called by players — and not the kind you call only because things are going poorly. This is also a team where you'll eventually find juniors and seniors trying to fend off a gifted group of underclassmen from the '19 and '20 recruiting cycles. Instead of locker room competition, the only battles taking place are on the field, where veterans like Micheal Clemons, Jayden Peevy, Myles Jones and four offensive linemen don't appear ready to give an inch.

• One of the positions that could wind up being the most competitive on the field during September is safety. Demani Richardson is established, and Keldrick Carper is a team captain who will prove invaluable, both on defense and special teams. Beyond that, things are wide open, with several very heavily-recruited guys fighting for playing time and a starting job.

Junior Leon O'Neal reported in great shape and has been very focused on bouncing back from a tough ending to his sophomore campaign. He looks significantly improved while working primarily with the 1s thus far. However, Leon will get a stiff test from guys like sophomore Erick Young and true freshman Antonio Johnson. Both of the "newcomers" will factor heavily into the playing time mix at some point. The competition to see who starts opposite Richardson will be Mike Elko's primary focus between now and the season-opener versus Vandy (and maybe even through Game One). The Ags have done a tremendous job on the recruiting front here.

Rey Romo, TexAgs

DeMarvin Leal is expected to move around on A&M’s defensive line in his second year in Aggieland.

• DeMarvin Leal came in at No. 1 in the annual TexAgs '30 players in 30 days', and I've been saying throughout the off-season that I believed he could be the Aggies' best player this fall. I'm not sure that wasn't already the case when A&M took the field in the Texas Bowl. Through a week's worth of practices, it's sounding like very few would dispute TA's summer ranking as Leal has been a destructive force along Mike Elko's defensive line. Jimbo Fisher sang the sophomore's praises last week, and he's drawing the same praise from teammates. Not only is DeMarvin getting it done between the snap and whistle, but he's also been a tremendous leader through the early portions of camp (and throughout the off-season). Leal is trending towards becoming one of those SEC West game-wreckers, similar to Jonathan Allen, Quinnen Williams and Derrick Brown.

• I'm not going to go down the entire list of names, so don't read into anything here as we'll probably reference every member of the loaded 2020 class over the next couple of weeks as the newcomers assimilate at their own pace. We're only a couple of padded practices in, but a handful of 2020 signees are already turning heads and impacting Aggie practices.

Offensively, the first impression on the four-man o-line class is that it's going to prove to be a high-quality, SEC West group. Only time will tell what type of Year One impact we see, though. Where this group is already turning heads is at the skill positions.

Sitting at the top of that list is a blue-chip receiver signee: Demond Demas. He's just an incredible talent and the type of athlete — sub-4.4 speed, insane hops, ball skills and rare spatial awareness — who has all of the physical tools necessary to eventually become a Biletnikoff Award winner. Eventually. Demas is incredibly talented but also incredibly raw. The primary question between now and the time the Ags take the field against Bama and Florida will be, "How quickly can the true freshman process the offense?" He's currently on a crash course of Fisher's offense, and as soon as Demas is out there and regularly getting the ball in his hands, the A&M offense will become exponentially more explosive.

On defense, the snap judgment on the entire group has been incredibly positive. The hit rate is going to be extremely high, and this year's true freshmen will feature not only several eventual starters but also a few future stars.

Last year, it was Demani Richardson early and DeMarvin Leal late, as both highly-rated 2019 signees ended up in Elko's starting eleven. Even though this year's D is going to be more experienced, it would come as no surprise to see a couple of true freshmen eventually breakthrough this fall. I've mentioned Jaylon Jones as a possible (if not likely) starter since January, and he's been terrific thus far. Fellow fish McKinnley Jackson, Edgerrin Cooper and Antonio Johnson look like they have All-SEC (or more) potential, as well. Jackson is turning heads in the trenches daily — both his defensive linemates and the guys trying to block him have been raving about the potential year one impact from the 320-pounder. While I wouldn't call Johnson a surprise (the Ags did outlast Bama and Tennessee for his services), his offseason and first week of work have been pretty elite. There are some excellent options at safety on the roster this fall, but it's time to start considering the possibility that the Ags could start a true freshman on the back end for the second straight fall (at some point this season, anyway).

Rey Romo, TexAgs

Zach Calzada will be duking it out with Haynes King to determine who will be Kellen Mond’s backup in 2020.

• Because Haynes King has looked so good since arriving in January and has opened eyes in the Ags' first handful of practices, the battle between him and sophomore Zach Calzada is going to be a fun one to follow throughout the extended fall camp.

We don't talk about Calzada enough because he's kind of fallen in between the unquestioned starter (despite a slight media and message board push to lead some to believe it wasn't the case, Mond was always going to be QB1 and has always had the full support of his coach) and a borderline five-star true freshman. Zach probably hasn't drawn as much mention on the boards, but he has a very real shot at earning QB2 honors. He's still probably the best pure passer on campus, which counts for a whole hell of a lot. However, King is going to make a real push to serve as Mond's primary backup because the young man has that 'It' factor as a QB and a leader. He's also already shown an uncoachable knack for extending plays and keeping his eyes downfield.  King is ridiculously fast and very productive 'off-script,' if you will.

Again, this one is going to be one of the most competitive fall camp battles, in my opinion. Goes without saying how important it is, as well.

• Isaiah Spiller looks like a completely different player today than he did a year ago at this time. He's confident and carrying his 220 pounds VERY well. His vision and patience have improved. He'll be one of the most valuable members of the Aggie offense.

As far as dynamic playmakers go, Ainias Smith and true freshman Devon Achane could be game-changers for Jimbo Fisher. I'm not sure Ainias won't be the Aggies' best player on offense — a unit that includes Kellen Mond, Jhamon Ausbon, Jalen Wydermyer, Isaiah Spiller and Kenyon Green, among others. I'm not sure you'd find many in Maroon & White who would argue against that sentiment. Smith has hit the ground running (literally), catching, blocking and just generally looking like an incredibly versatile and explosive weapon out of the backfield. He's also one of those guys who elevates the level of competition and energy when he's on the field.

Achane has turned heads with his jaw-dropping speed during the last couple of practices. It's hard to imagine that he's not going to find a way to force his way into meaningful touches very early in his first season in Maroon & White. He's the real deal.

• I'll be honest, we're not going to have a clearer picture (as in Jimbo Fisher and Josh Henson won't know) how much progress the Aggie offensive line has made until probably a couple of weeks deeper into fall camp. Usually, I'd say we won't know as much until we see the Ags take on Alabama and Florida in games two & three. Still, the fact of the matter is that the Maroon Goons are lining up against what should be one of the SEC's better defensive lines every practice, which means Fisher and Henson will get a pretty clear picture of how good the unit is before the season. We're just not there yet. I haven't come off my offseason-long stance that this A&M offense will be very difficult to stop if the offensive line proves to be a solid unit.

I haven't come off my offseason-long stance that this A&M offense will be very difficult to stop if the offensive line proves to be a solid unit.

Early returns have been positive — including a scrimmage-type setting where the O marched down the field for an impressive 80-yard TD drive capped by a perfect strike from Kellen Mond to Jhamon Ausbon from about 20 yards out.

I've been sitting here thinking about some of those Missouri offensive lines under Gary Pinkel, Kentucky's unit two years ago (and the one they're expected to put on the field this fall) and even a couple of those Mississippi State lines under Dan Mullen. Not much in the way of high draft picks but just a lot of guys who had played a ton of football entering the season and a couple of late-round picks littered around maybe one high-end draft guy (at best...and the Aggies have that in Kenyon Green). That's why seeing guys like Carson Green, Dan Moore and Jared Hocker elevate their game is vitally important over the next 3-4 weeks. Again, it's still too early, but Moore has certainly arrived in the best shape of his career. There is some real in-house excitement about an improved Moore and Kenyon on the left side this fall.

Kenyon Green might be my pick for the 'Most Improved' player on the 2020 team. Don't get me wrong, Green was excellent by the time he finished last fall, but I'm starting to get the feeling that the sophomore (who has made the move to left guard) is going to explode on the SEC scene this season. I'm talking about the former five-star signee emerging as one of the league's top interior defenders. That's his 2020 ceiling, and though it's very early, he appears ready to play up to that level.

In the all-important middle of the o-line, Ryan McCollum has been working with the 1s, with sophomore Luke Matthews and veteran Grayson Reed also getting work. He's an interesting follow this month as he's finally healthy, coming off a very solid offseason.

• All of the Ags' interior offensive linemen have their hands full every day during fall camp. The entire defensive front has a chance to rank among the best units in the SEC, but where this group should make hay will be between the tackles and when it comes to stuffing the run.

I mentioned McKinnley Jackson already, and Isaiah Raikes and Derick Hunter are two more young guys who could also factor in. Don't lose sight of the fact that DeMarvin Leal will be lining up everywhere, and the Ags have a couple of high-end veterans in the rotation (and likely starting) as well. Jayden Peevy is in the best shape of his career and approaching 295 lean pounds. Bobby Brown is down at least 25 pounds from the start of last season, and it's shown in the way of Bobby's improved quickness and mobility without any loss of strength. I'm told Peevy has been an early standout up front. Experience, talent, depth, future NFL Draft picks in probably all four classes...Elijah Robinson's group has it all.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Senior Josh Rogers could factor into Mike Elko’s defense quite a bit this season after only seeing spot duty last season.

• Speaking of the DTs, let me take a second to mention Josh Rogers. Guys like him are going to be a very interesting part of a successful formula in 2020. Rogers — a fourth-year player who has seen spot duty prior to this season — is someone whose name has come up from more than one source during the early stages of fall camp. Now, there's a ton of competition in the defensive trenches, so it remains to be seen how many reps the 300-pounder can log this fall. However, the fact that a guy who has been in the program that long, has hung in and is showing up prepared and determined to compete for a spot says a lot about where this team is at.

Rogers is not the only one, either. The same can be said for guys like Devin Morris, Clifford Chattman, Aaron Hansford, Jeremiah Martin, Grayson Reed, Hez Jones and a few others. Juniors and seniors like these guys are going to find ways to contribute, provide depth and (perhaps in a couple of instances) even force their way into seeing significant playing time and a heavy workload.

• Mike Elko also has plenty of depth to work with at linebacker, with Anthony Hines and Buddy Johnson as returning starters leading the way. Johnson and Hines both look and sound determined to break through onto the mainstream SEC scene this fall. Both Aaron Hansford and Andre White are trusted options behind them. All four guys can run, and all four are versatile and athletic. In the younger ranks, Chris Russell looks a lot more ready than he did as a true freshman a year ago and is trending in the right direction. I've stated multiple times I think Edgerrin Cooper was an absolute steal and could be this year's Ainias Smith in that even A&M fans are underestimating what a big-time talent the Ags added when they signed Cooper. Antonio Doyle arrived a few weeks after the rest of his classmates, but he's adjusting quickly. I'm told that he stood out and had a very nice practice to end last week, his best of the four.

A lot to work with and a whole lot of teaching going on for first-year assistant Tyler Santucci.

• The Ags know what they've got in sophomore Jalen Wydermyer. Max Wright is an intriguing addition to the tight end stable. Baylor Cupp has reported in terrific shape and, per Fisher, has been moving around very well after missing last season after suffering a broken lower leg in a fall camp scrimmage a year ago. Cupp is the Ags' fastest tight end, and if they're able to get him and Wydermyer on the field together regularly, the Ags could put a hell of a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. Don't rule Blake Smith out of the mix, either. He's pretty flashy catching the ball and is another big, athletic target who can get down the field.

JUCO addition Brian George looks like the real deal. In fact, I've heard enough positive feedback on George that he's someone I'm expecting to make an impact this year.

• Elijah Blades has been eased into action but is now a full-go. JUCO addition Brian George looks like the real deal. In fact, I've heard enough positive feedback on George that he's someone I'm expecting to make an impact this year. Competition at corner is very stiff, but George is going to force his way into the mix for a starting job at some point. I said it during my 'Ask Liucci' chat last week and will again: My bet is that we see a Jones/Jones starting tandem at corner fairly early into the season. Myles had an excellent offseason, both in College Station and also working out in Dallas with a personal trainer/coach. It has carried over into camp for the Ags' most experienced defensive back. He's been very, very good through the first few practices, and continues to be the most trusted corner on the roster.

• Another cornerback who has the trust of his coaches is Devin Morris. The junior has looked good as Mike Elko's nickel and could end up being the primary guy at the all-important position this fall. He and Clifford Chattman give Elko a couple of very different options there, and both can play.  Once things are sorted out at corner, we could see a new contender emerge, but for now, Morris seems like a good bet to man the nickel spot.

• Tough news at receiver, as senior Cam Buckley fired off a tweet on Sunday night that led many to speculate that he has suffered a significant injury. As it turns out, the knee injury is season-ending. That's a very tough break for a guy who had stepped up as a leader throughout the offseason. I said as recently as last week Cam was going to make it very difficult for anyone to push him out of the starting spot in the slot. The good news is that Buckley can get healthy and return next season when he would probably be the most experienced member of the 2021 Aggie receiving corps. He's an incredibly determined young man and will undoubtedly bounce back, so this isn't the last we'll see of #14.

Of course, without Buckley, that means that Dameyune Craig will be without four of the five members of the Aggie receiving rotation a year ago (Buck, Ainias Smith, Kendrick Rogers and Quartney Davis). Not ideal, but Jhamon Ausbon is an absolute anchor and should be one of the SEC's most productive pass-catchers.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

The Aggies will miss Buckley’s determination and experience after a season-ending knee injury.

If there's a silver lining here, it might be that the early returns at the position have been extremely encouraging. Ausbon has been Ausbon. He reported to camp in even better shape than he did last year. Another step quicker and, were the Ags playing a 12-game schedule, I would have #2 penciled in for his first 1,000-yard season.

Even with Jhamon out there looking like a grizzled SEC veteran, Chase Lane might be the Aggie receiver generating the most buzz through four practices. I spent a lot of the offseason telling anyone who would listen that Lane had caught the attention of Fisher and the staff in his limited duty last fall. Lane has really dialed it up so far in camp. His speed adds a new dimension to the offense, and Chase has been a big-play producer thus far.

Another speed guy who has made some noise early is a bit of a surprise. A year ago, Hez Jones suffered a torn Achilles' tendon and was lost for the season. After flying under the radar the entire offseason, the junior from Stafford is back, and he's off to a solid start. Like Lane, Jones brings legitimate 4.4 speed to the equation at receiver, as does Demas and Caleb Chapman. Hez is also capable of lining up and making plays on the outside or the slot. He's a nice weapon for Craig to utilize in the rotation. Remember, this is a guy who was hauling in a key third-down pass against Auburn and worked his way into Craig's rotation as a sophomore two years ago.

• Lane, Demas, Jones, Chapman and Kam Brown (last week, the second-year wideout made what may have been the best catch of camp to date) at receiver and Achane and Smith in the backfield (not to mention Mond as a proven running threat at quarterback) are all going to give the Aggies a very different look this fall. This year's offense will be by far the fastest and most explosive unit Jimbo has fielded in his three seasons at the helm. Jimbo mentioned it last week and said he was actually talking to his senior quarterback about it. Anyone who has watched this team so far would mention a noticeable increase in speed at the skill spots as the Aggies' most significant difference.

-Finally, no one has bigger shoes to fill than freshman punter Nik Constantinou. As everyone is aware, he's replacing Ray Guy Award winner and NFL Draft pick Braden Mann. So far, the Australian has consistently demonstrated a VERY big leg. Reportedly, the Aussie gets a very impressive amount of hang time on his punts, which — combined with increased (quality) depth at LB and DB — could lead to better coverage than what we saw from the punt unit last fall.

On 8/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, Getafix said:

Perroni mentions that Regis was 240 lbs last summer.  He's now listed at 290 - 300.  As a ~ 6-1 guy, he's put on 50 - 60 lbs (20 - 25% of body weight) within one year?  And apparently retained his athleticism?  Wow ... 

gentlemen, we’re not doctors.  the NC2A has a testing program for this kind of thing, I suggest we let them handle it.  and it’s not that hard to gain 35 lbs over summer if you hit the gym real hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

• I'm going to start with this: We're only a week or so into fall camp, but when it comes to things like energy, buy-in, depth, leadership and team chemistry, this squad is night and day different than what Jimbo Fisher saw a year ago. Things like seniors sending messages about being socially responsible in these unprecedented times as students return to campus. Younger, second-year guys like DeMarvin Leal are emerging as team leaders. Nearly fifteen seniors expected to either start or play key roles (as opposed to just two last year). There has even been a team meeting or two called by players — and not the kind you call only because things are going poorly. This is also a team where you'll eventually find juniors and seniors trying to fend off a gifted group of underclassmen from the '19 and '20 recruiting cycles. Instead of locker room competition, the only battles taking place are on the field, where veterans like Micheal Clemons, Jayden Peevy, Myles Jones and four offensive linemen don't appear ready to give an inch.

• One of the positions that could wind up being the most competitive on the field during September is safety. Demani Richardson is established, and Keldrick Carper is a team captain who will prove invaluable, both on defense and special teams. Beyond that, things are wide open, with several very heavily-recruited guys fighting for playing time and a starting job.

Junior Leon O'Neal reported in great shape and has been very focused on bouncing back from a tough ending to his sophomore campaign. He looks significantly improved while working primarily with the 1s thus far. However, Leon will get a stiff test from guys like sophomore Erick Young and true freshman Antonio Johnson. Both of the "newcomers" will factor heavily into the playing time mix at some point. The competition to see who starts opposite Richardson will be Mike Elko's primary focus between now and the season-opener versus Vandy (and maybe even through Game One). The Ags have done a tremendous job on the recruiting front here.

Rey Romo, TexAgs

DeMarvin Leal is expected to move around on A&M’s defensive line in his second year in Aggieland.

• DeMarvin Leal came in at No. 1 in the annual TexAgs '30 players in 30 days', and I've been saying throughout the off-season that I believed he could be the Aggies' best player this fall. I'm not sure that wasn't already the case when A&M took the field in the Texas Bowl. Through a week's worth of practices, it's sounding like very few would dispute TA's summer ranking as Leal has been a destructive force along Mike Elko's defensive line. Jimbo Fisher sang the sophomore's praises last week, and he's drawing the same praise from teammates. Not only is DeMarvin getting it done between the snap and whistle, but he's also been a tremendous leader through the early portions of camp (and throughout the off-season). Leal is trending towards becoming one of those SEC West game-wreckers, similar to Jonathan Allen, Quinnen Williams and Derrick Brown.

• I'm not going to go down the entire list of names, so don't read into anything here as we'll probably reference every member of the loaded 2020 class over the next couple of weeks as the newcomers assimilate at their own pace. We're only a couple of padded practices in, but a handful of 2020 signees are already turning heads and impacting Aggie practices.

Offensively, the first impression on the four-man o-line class is that it's going to prove to be a high-quality, SEC West group. Only time will tell what type of Year One impact we see, though. Where this group is already turning heads is at the skill positions.

Sitting at the top of that list is a blue-chip receiver signee: Demond Demas. He's just an incredible talent and the type of athlete — sub-4.4 speed, insane hops, ball skills and rare spatial awareness — who has all of the physical tools necessary to eventually become a Biletnikoff Award winner. Eventually. Demas is incredibly talented but also incredibly raw. The primary question between now and the time the Ags take the field against Bama and Florida will be, "How quickly can the true freshman process the offense?" He's currently on a crash course of Fisher's offense, and as soon as Demas is out there and regularly getting the ball in his hands, the A&M offense will become exponentially more explosive.

On defense, the snap judgment on the entire group has been incredibly positive. The hit rate is going to be extremely high, and this year's true freshmen will feature not only several eventual starters but also a few future stars.

Last year, it was Demani Richardson early and DeMarvin Leal late, as both highly-rated 2019 signees ended up in Elko's starting eleven. Even though this year's D is going to be more experienced, it would come as no surprise to see a couple of true freshmen eventually breakthrough this fall. I've mentioned Jaylon Jones as a possible (if not likely) starter since January, and he's been terrific thus far. Fellow fish McKinnley Jackson, Edgerrin Cooper and Antonio Johnson look like they have All-SEC (or more) potential, as well. Jackson is turning heads in the trenches daily — both his defensive linemates and the guys trying to block him have been raving about the potential year one impact from the 320-pounder. While I wouldn't call Johnson a surprise (the Ags did outlast Bama and Tennessee for his services), his offseason and first week of work have been pretty elite. There are some excellent options at safety on the roster this fall, but it's time to start considering the possibility that the Ags could start a true freshman on the back end for the second straight fall (at some point this season, anyway).

Rey Romo, TexAgs

Zach Calzada will be duking it out with Haynes King to determine who will be Kellen Mond’s backup in 2020.

• Because Haynes King has looked so good since arriving in January and has opened eyes in the Ags' first handful of practices, the battle between him and sophomore Zach Calzada is going to be a fun one to follow throughout the extended fall camp.

We don't talk about Calzada enough because he's kind of fallen in between the unquestioned starter (despite a slight media and message board push to lead some to believe it wasn't the case, Mond was always going to be QB1 and has always had the full support of his coach) and a borderline five-star true freshman. Zach probably hasn't drawn as much mention on the boards, but he has a very real shot at earning QB2 honors. He's still probably the best pure passer on campus, which counts for a whole hell of a lot. However, King is going to make a real push to serve as Mond's primary backup because the young man has that 'It' factor as a QB and a leader. He's also already shown an uncoachable knack for extending plays and keeping his eyes downfield.  King is ridiculously fast and very productive 'off-script,' if you will.

Again, this one is going to be one of the most competitive fall camp battles, in my opinion. Goes without saying how important it is, as well.

• Isaiah Spiller looks like a completely different player today than he did a year ago at this time. He's confident and carrying his 220 pounds VERY well. His vision and patience have improved. He'll be one of the most valuable members of the Aggie offense.

As far as dynamic playmakers go, Ainias Smith and true freshman Devon Achane could be game-changers for Jimbo Fisher. I'm not sure Ainias won't be the Aggies' best player on offense — a unit that includes Kellen Mond, Jhamon Ausbon, Jalen Wydermyer, Isaiah Spiller and Kenyon Green, among others. I'm not sure you'd find many in Maroon & White who would argue against that sentiment. Smith has hit the ground running (literally), catching, blocking and just generally looking like an incredibly versatile and explosive weapon out of the backfield. He's also one of those guys who elevates the level of competition and energy when he's on the field.

Achane has turned heads with his jaw-dropping speed during the last couple of practices. It's hard to imagine that he's not going to find a way to force his way into meaningful touches very early in his first season in Maroon & White. He's the real deal.

• I'll be honest, we're not going to have a clearer picture (as in Jimbo Fisher and Josh Henson won't know) how much progress the Aggie offensive line has made until probably a couple of weeks deeper into fall camp. Usually, I'd say we won't know as much until we see the Ags take on Alabama and Florida in games two & three. Still, the fact of the matter is that the Maroon Goons are lining up against what should be one of the SEC's better defensive lines every practice, which means Fisher and Henson will get a pretty clear picture of how good the unit is before the season. We're just not there yet. I haven't come off my offseason-long stance that this A&M offense will be very difficult to stop if the offensive line proves to be a solid unit.

I haven't come off my offseason-long stance that this A&M offense will be very difficult to stop if the offensive line proves to be a solid unit.

Early returns have been positive — including a scrimmage-type setting where the O marched down the field for an impressive 80-yard TD drive capped by a perfect strike from Kellen Mond to Jhamon Ausbon from about 20 yards out.

I've been sitting here thinking about some of those Missouri offensive lines under Gary Pinkel, Kentucky's unit two years ago (and the one they're expected to put on the field this fall) and even a couple of those Mississippi State lines under Dan Mullen. Not much in the way of high draft picks but just a lot of guys who had played a ton of football entering the season and a couple of late-round picks littered around maybe one high-end draft guy (at best...and the Aggies have that in Kenyon Green). That's why seeing guys like Carson Green, Dan Moore and Jared Hocker elevate their game is vitally important over the next 3-4 weeks. Again, it's still too early, but Moore has certainly arrived in the best shape of his career. There is some real in-house excitement about an improved Moore and Kenyon on the left side this fall.

Kenyon Green might be my pick for the 'Most Improved' player on the 2020 team. Don't get me wrong, Green was excellent by the time he finished last fall, but I'm starting to get the feeling that the sophomore (who has made the move to left guard) is going to explode on the SEC scene this season. I'm talking about the former five-star signee emerging as one of the league's top interior defenders. That's his 2020 ceiling, and though it's very early, he appears ready to play up to that level.

In the all-important middle of the o-line, Ryan McCollum has been working with the 1s, with sophomore Luke Matthews and veteran Grayson Reed also getting work. He's an interesting follow this month as he's finally healthy, coming off a very solid offseason.

• All of the Ags' interior offensive linemen have their hands full every day during fall camp. The entire defensive front has a chance to rank among the best units in the SEC, but where this group should make hay will be between the tackles and when it comes to stuffing the run.

I mentioned McKinnley Jackson already, and Isaiah Raikes and Derick Hunter are two more young guys who could also factor in. Don't lose sight of the fact that DeMarvin Leal will be lining up everywhere, and the Ags have a couple of high-end veterans in the rotation (and likely starting) as well. Jayden Peevy is in the best shape of his career and approaching 295 lean pounds. Bobby Brown is down at least 25 pounds from the start of last season, and it's shown in the way of Bobby's improved quickness and mobility without any loss of strength. I'm told Peevy has been an early standout up front. Experience, talent, depth, future NFL Draft picks in probably all four classes...Elijah Robinson's group has it all.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Senior Josh Rogers could factor into Mike Elko’s defense quite a bit this season after only seeing spot duty last season.

• Speaking of the DTs, let me take a second to mention Josh Rogers. Guys like him are going to be a very interesting part of a successful formula in 2020. Rogers — a fourth-year player who has seen spot duty prior to this season — is someone whose name has come up from more than one source during the early stages of fall camp. Now, there's a ton of competition in the defensive trenches, so it remains to be seen how many reps the 300-pounder can log this fall. However, the fact that a guy who has been in the program that long, has hung in and is showing up prepared and determined to compete for a spot says a lot about where this team is at.

Rogers is not the only one, either. The same can be said for guys like Devin Morris, Clifford Chattman, Aaron Hansford, Jeremiah Martin, Grayson Reed, Hez Jones and a few others. Juniors and seniors like these guys are going to find ways to contribute, provide depth and (perhaps in a couple of instances) even force their way into seeing significant playing time and a heavy workload.

• Mike Elko also has plenty of depth to work with at linebacker, with Anthony Hines and Buddy Johnson as returning starters leading the way. Johnson and Hines both look and sound determined to break through onto the mainstream SEC scene this fall. Both Aaron Hansford and Andre White are trusted options behind them. All four guys can run, and all four are versatile and athletic. In the younger ranks, Chris Russell looks a lot more ready than he did as a true freshman a year ago and is trending in the right direction. I've stated multiple times I think Edgerrin Cooper was an absolute steal and could be this year's Ainias Smith in that even A&M fans are underestimating what a big-time talent the Ags added when they signed Cooper. Antonio Doyle arrived a few weeks after the rest of his classmates, but he's adjusting quickly. I'm told that he stood out and had a very nice practice to end last week, his best of the four.

A lot to work with and a whole lot of teaching going on for first-year assistant Tyler Santucci.

• The Ags know what they've got in sophomore Jalen Wydermyer. Max Wright is an intriguing addition to the tight end stable. Baylor Cupp has reported in terrific shape and, per Fisher, has been moving around very well after missing last season after suffering a broken lower leg in a fall camp scrimmage a year ago. Cupp is the Ags' fastest tight end, and if they're able to get him and Wydermyer on the field together regularly, the Ags could put a hell of a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. Don't rule Blake Smith out of the mix, either. He's pretty flashy catching the ball and is another big, athletic target who can get down the field.

JUCO addition Brian George looks like the real deal. In fact, I've heard enough positive feedback on George that he's someone I'm expecting to make an impact this year.

• Elijah Blades has been eased into action but is now a full-go. JUCO addition Brian George looks like the real deal. In fact, I've heard enough positive feedback on George that he's someone I'm expecting to make an impact this year. Competition at corner is very stiff, but George is going to force his way into the mix for a starting job at some point. I said it during my 'Ask Liucci' chat last week and will again: My bet is that we see a Jones/Jones starting tandem at corner fairly early into the season. Myles had an excellent offseason, both in College Station and also working out in Dallas with a personal trainer/coach. It has carried over into camp for the Ags' most experienced defensive back. He's been very, very good through the first few practices, and continues to be the most trusted corner on the roster.

• Another cornerback who has the trust of his coaches is Devin Morris. The junior has looked good as Mike Elko's nickel and could end up being the primary guy at the all-important position this fall. He and Clifford Chattman give Elko a couple of very different options there, and both can play.  Once things are sorted out at corner, we could see a new contender emerge, but for now, Morris seems like a good bet to man the nickel spot.

• Tough news at receiver, as senior Cam Buckley fired off a tweet on Sunday night that led many to speculate that he has suffered a significant injury. As it turns out, the knee injury is season-ending. That's a very tough break for a guy who had stepped up as a leader throughout the offseason. I said as recently as last week Cam was going to make it very difficult for anyone to push him out of the starting spot in the slot. The good news is that Buckley can get healthy and return next season when he would probably be the most experienced member of the 2021 Aggie receiving corps. He's an incredibly determined young man and will undoubtedly bounce back, so this isn't the last we'll see of #14.

Of course, without Buckley, that means that Dameyune Craig will be without four of the five members of the Aggie receiving rotation a year ago (Buck, Ainias Smith, Kendrick Rogers and Quartney Davis). Not ideal, but Jhamon Ausbon is an absolute anchor and should be one of the SEC's most productive pass-catchers.

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

The Aggies will miss Buckley’s determination and experience after a season-ending knee injury.

If there's a silver lining here, it might be that the early returns at the position have been extremely encouraging. Ausbon has been Ausbon. He reported to camp in even better shape than he did last year. Another step quicker and, were the Ags playing a 12-game schedule, I would have #2 penciled in for his first 1,000-yard season.

Even with Jhamon out there looking like a grizzled SEC veteran, Chase Lane might be the Aggie receiver generating the most buzz through four practices. I spent a lot of the offseason telling anyone who would listen that Lane had caught the attention of Fisher and the staff in his limited duty last fall. Lane has really dialed it up so far in camp. His speed adds a new dimension to the offense, and Chase has been a big-play producer thus far.

Another speed guy who has made some noise early is a bit of a surprise. A year ago, Hez Jones suffered a torn Achilles' tendon and was lost for the season. After flying under the radar the entire offseason, the junior from Stafford is back, and he's off to a solid start. Like Lane, Jones brings legitimate 4.4 speed to the equation at receiver, as does Demas and Caleb Chapman. Hez is also capable of lining up and making plays on the outside or the slot. He's a nice weapon for Craig to utilize in the rotation. Remember, this is a guy who was hauling in a key third-down pass against Auburn and worked his way into Craig's rotation as a sophomore two years ago.

• Lane, Demas, Jones, Chapman and Kam Brown (last week, the second-year wideout made what may have been the best catch of camp to date) at receiver and Achane and Smith in the backfield (not to mention Mond as a proven running threat at quarterback) are all going to give the Aggies a very different look this fall. This year's offense will be by far the fastest and most explosive unit Jimbo has fielded in his three seasons at the helm. Jimbo mentioned it last week and said he was actually talking to his senior quarterback about it. Anyone who has watched this team so far would mention a noticeable increase in speed at the skill spots as the Aggies' most significant difference.

-Finally, no one has bigger shoes to fill than freshman punter Nik Constantinou. As everyone is aware, he's replacing Ray Guy Award winner and NFL Draft pick Braden Mann. So far, the Australian has consistently demonstrated a VERY big leg. Reportedly, the Aussie gets a very impressive amount of hang time on his punts, which — combined with increased (quality) depth at LB and DB — could lead to better coverage than what we saw from the punt unit last fall.

So, basically every player on the entire team except Jordan Jefferson is basically perfect. Shocker. 

So many gems. Calzada being the best pure passer on the team, glossing over Kenyon Green moving to left guard and then this.......truly throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks

6 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Rey Romo, TexAgs

Rey Romo, TexAgs

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

Lia Musgrave, TexAgs

6 hours ago, JNip said:

Why even play the season, it’s clear that Aggy is winning the super bowl. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

So, basically every player on the entire team except Jordan Jefferson is basically perfect. Shocker. 

32 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Loochi fluffs with the best of them. All the lonely nights on Grindr paid off. 

I know it’s fiction, but deep down, I’d like our “journalist” to blow some smoke up our ass like this every once in a while.  
Sure, we get a little cool aid about a player or two here and there, but damn, TexAgs is hyping up every player/position group on the team to where there’s no doubt they could stand toe to toe with the 1990s Cowboys. 

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

I know it’s fiction, but deep down, I’d like our “journalist” to blow some smoke up our ass like this every once in a while.  
Sure, we get a little cool aid about a player or two here and there, but damn, TexAgs is hyping up every player/position group on the team to where there’s no doubt they could stand toe to toe with the 1990s Cowboys. 

Hard pass. The regulars on this board do an excellent job as a community of being realistic but also allowing for plenty of sunshine and hope. Except for Satya. I’m extremely bullish and excited about this season with our talent, and new scheme. But also have plenty of reservations about two new schemes being installed and repped, offensive line, other spots. I’m not looking to be more like Aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, futureman said:

gentlemen, we’re not doctors.  the NC2A has a testing program for this kind of thing, I suggest we let them handle it.  and it’s not that hard to gain 35 lbs over summer if you hit the gym real hard. 

Place at the table WOOOOOOOO!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

but damn, TexAgs is hyping up every player/position group on the team to where there’s no doubt they could stand toe to toe with the 1990s Cowboys. 

This is how the roller coaster works. It takes these articles from their $9.95ers in the fall, it takes players on preseason watch lists, it takes the national AP writers ranking them in the top 15, it takes recruiting classes that are overranked,  it takes gullible people that believe it every year.

The annual roller coaster doesn't happen on its own. It takes a concerted, multi-angle attack to see that crash every November.

Edited by Orange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

This is how the roller coaster works. It takes these articles from their $9.95ers in the fall, it takes players on preseason watch lists, it takes the national AP writers ranking them in the top 15, it takes recruiting classes that are overranked,  it takes gullible people that believe it every year.

The annual roller coaster doesn't happen on its own. It takes a concerted, multi-angle attack to see that crash every November.

I’m convinced Liucci uses one of those A.I. Machine learning macros to populate these reports year after year. He just uploads the players and positions and it creates the rest.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

This. It's what they've done every season after 2013. Auburn is the more of a toss up than a loss in my opinion. If Auburn beats Bama, they will almost surely Auburn themselves and lose to Aggy the following week. However, if they lose to Bama, they'll be out of for blood against Aggy. 

Hard to say on this year's W/L.  Mond sucks on the road-- even more than at home--but this year's road games shouldn't be like normal road games.  I am not so sure on the offense, in light of that and the the OL (although being able to field a more respectable TE group may help to some degree).  I'm pretty optimistic about our defense, though.  Should at least be able to keep us in these toss-up games until the end.

I'll be disappointed with anything less than 8-2.  We didn't really lose all that much from last year and most of our opponents did.  Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida will be tough games, though. To me, it all hinges on Mond's play, which is a scary thought.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2