Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

However, it's a big corner (looks like temps will still be at/over 100° later this week!) ☀️

ETA:  If anyone's interested (and I expect yes and no at the same time), the latest official 100° temp in the year is Oct. 2 (1938).

Edited by phdhorn

5 hours ago, phdhorn said:

However, it's a big corner (looks like temps will still be at/over 100° later this week!) ☀️

ETA:  If anyone's interested (and I expect yes and no at the same time), the latest official 100° temp in the year is Oct. 2 (1938).

How about just a day under 95.  I know triple digits is a nice benchmark but should we have one day in a September where it doesn’t get much over 90?

November is lovely here.  But I honestly can’t remember a Halloween where we weren’t either proactively hydrating before the festivities or it was pouring rain.  I got pneumonia once on 10/31 growing up,  all I’m asking for is nothing above 80.  Not a crazy ask for the even of November.  Something is wrong with our home planet.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

November is lovely here.  But I honestly can’t remember a Halloween where we weren’t either proactively hydrating before the festivities or it was pouring rain.  I got pneumonia once on 10/31 growing up,  all I’m asking for is nothing above 80.  Not a crazy ask for the even of November.  Something is wrong with our home planet.  

Oct 31 average high is 75 so that's generally a pretty nice day, but not the chilly days you see in movies for most of the country.

Not being hyperbolic, can't remember the last (non-raining) Halloween that wasn't at least 80, if not closer to 90.  And I mean at 5pm when the festivities start.  Obviously when everybody gets to bed and we clean up, yeah---at that point, it's 70-75.  

Yep, felt pretty good when I got home at 7:30p.  Wish I had more daylight to do some yardwork, but very pleasant surprise.  Let us honor this moment as it seems there is no day without a high under 95 for the next 2 weeks.  Praise Be!  

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

Not being hyperbolic, can't remember the last (non-raining) Halloween that wasn't at least 80, if not closer to 90.  And I mean at 5pm when the festivities start.  Obviously when everybody gets to bed and we clean up, yeah---at that point, it's 70-75.  

I'm assuming your post pertains to areas south of Dallas, but, two years ago we got sleet the week of Halloween.  I believe it got down to 34 one night in Dallas.  I know.  It doesn't seem even remotely possible at this time.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Not that forecasts are worth much beyond 5+ days, but the extended forecast is just depressing. Not a single high below 94 or low below 73 all the way out to 9/25.

Only bright side is that with earlier sunsets and slightly cooler nighttime lows, evenings should start getting a little more tolerable the next few weeks.

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

10 day now has a slight cooldown happening in about a week.  It will be revised upward soon I'm sure.  

Yeah, I'm seeing 93/73 both days next weekend and then ~90/~70 for the period from 9/24-26 in Houston. GFS models envision a front arriving around then, but a prediction that's 280 something hours out doesn't really mean anything.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=T850a&runtime=2019091212&fh=282

On 9/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, Lobo said:

I remember having to wear a coat when trick or treating in 1976. It was in the upper 30's. That may have been the last one. 

On 9/12/2019 at 2:18 PM, Deej said:

I remember having to wear a coat when trick or treating in 1976. It was in the upper 30's. That may have been the last one. 

I’m an 80s kid. I was a mummy for Halloween in like first or second grade, and by mummy I mean my parents wrapped me in gauze. Not the warmest costume. And it was in the 30s or 40s for sure. So it has happened since then. At least in the last 30 years. 

I know there were a couple of cold Halloween days since 2000 because I trotted my kids out there at least 2000-2012 and I know for a fact that some of those nights were pretty cold.  That's all I know.

1 more 100'er today then none for at least 4-5 days while this low moves in/up from the Gulf.  That should absolutely, completely, utterly do it for 100's.

Well, in most years.  This one where that high did it's nasty beginning late July, who knows?  My guess is maybe 1-2 more but not consecutive (>2ff). for the year.

By the way, way back up there somewhere it was correctly pointed out that despite the "feel" and what I said, July was a bit above normal (and of course August was way above) temp wise.  However there are a lot of asterisks on that that actually justified our "feeling" that it was a cooler summer than normal (well up to late July) - and it was taking other factors into consideration, and even further 'splaining the stat that was used (daytime high).  But no one gives a fuck now, just make it stahp.  But if anyone gets so utterly fucking bored they wanna know, I guess I can put it down.  Nah, fuck it.  Let's look fwd to 90's then 80's... and so on.

I can get on board with that.

BTW, "Summer performance has nothing (or very little) to do with fall/winter behavior... kind of like the stock market.  It could be hot, dry or cool and wet as your mom.

Never-ending summer is starting to finally peter out. I think yesterday may have been the last high 90's day in Houston for the foreseeable future. Supposed to rain all week, which will keep temps in the 80's. After the rain pushes through, extended forecast is showing more seasonally-expected temps with highs around 90 and lows in the low 70's. 

We are not supposed to talk long term weather on this weather thread according to the dipshits on this website. 

In five minutes they’ll tell me to take that cloak room shit to the cloak room without any hint of irony.  We are allowed to talk weather on a weather thread you inbred shitstains.  If you want to own an embarrassing legacy you find prideful, finger your aunt Again

Edited by Lobo

41 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We are not supposed to talk long term weather on this weather thread according to the dipshits on this website. 

In five minutes they’ll tell me to take that cloak room shit to the cloak room without any hint of irony.  We are allowed to talk weather on a weather thread you inbred shitstains.  If you want to own an embarrassing legacy you find prideful, finger your aunt Again

Did you get kicked in the head, or have some sort of cyst in your brain, or have some sort of CTE?

Seems like ever since you started working on that COA Bond board/committee you've turned into a prodigious cunt.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2019 at 2:15 PM, Par4 said:

Thanksgiving in shorts...an Austin tradition. 

I grew up an hour south of Houston, and I'm an old.  I remember  mowing the yard on Christmas Eve.  This had to be in the early 80's.  

Neither here nor there, I guess, but your shorts comment brought it to mind.  

10 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I grew up an hour south of Houston, and I'm an old.  I remember  mowing the yard on Christmas Eve.  This had to be in the early 80's.  

Neither here nor there, I guess, but your shorts comment brought it to mind.  

I'm old too. Weather has always been weird. Grew up in Austin. Must have been 1981 or 82, went to Middle School in shorts (probably OP). School was dismissed at 1:00 because of snow. That was a fun bus ride home. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Par4 said:

I'm old too. Weather has always been weird. Grew up in Austin. Must have been 1981 or 82, went to Middle School in shorts (probably OP). School was dismissed at 1:00 because of snow. That was a fun bus ride home. 

I was at Possum Kingdom lake one Easter back in the late 90s.  It snowed 12 inches overnight and was stacked up.  That afternoon it was sunny and warm.  We played golf.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:34 AM, Brisketexan said:

Halloween 92 or 93 - I had some other costume planned, but a hellacious front blew in and knocked it down to around freezing.  I wore jeans, a work shirt, a duster, and a cowboy hat to the party, and called it a day.  And yes, the womenfolk decided to wear layers.  That was a bad halloween.

It was 1993 and below freezing that night. The urge to unveil fall/winter fashion trumped costumes and there were mock turtlenecks, blocky structured blazers, and long, black fitted coats everywhere. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

12 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Two dates you can never reliably predict the weather in SETX:

Halloween night should be a pleasant evening between 65-75, but can also be high 80's and humid, pouring down rain, or damn near freezing cold.

Spring Break down at the beach. It's either in the 80's and sunny, or 50's and overcast. 

two of my kids have birthdays the week after halloween.  the other two have bdays right before spring break.  we can never plan for outdoor parties. 

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Did you get kicked in the head, or have some sort of cyst in your brain, or have some sort of CTE?

Seems like ever since you started working on that COA Bond board/committee you've turned into a prodigious cunt.

Climate change affecting psyche.

• Like 1