Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

10 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Supporting and trying to sell Orlando are two completely different things...

They can intersect. Coach was not telling UH or UConn that Orlando fails to protect leads, is an average recruiter or is fooled by the talent at hand to start the season.

44 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If you landed Ingram, Brown, Whittington, Robinson and Wheaton there is absolutely no way you can get rid of Drayton. That might be the best run of RB's at Texas that I can remember. 

Priest Holmes>Ricky Williams>Hodges Mitchell>Cedric Benson>Selvin Young>Jamal Charles would like a word with you.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If you landed Ingram, Brown, Whittington, Robinson and Wheaton there is absolutely no way you can get rid of Drayton. That might be the best run of RB's at Texas that I can remember. 

Drayton only recruited Ingram from that list.

He had/has little or nothing to do with Brown, Whittington, and Robinson. Wheaton is being recruited by Samples with Drayton tagging along - much like he did with Derrian Brown who was all Jason Washington. 

Drayton would have an entire RB room recruited by anyone but him. I think you could toss his worthless ass to the trash heap pretty easily. These guys aren't here because of him and I don't think you'd see any attrition if he was cut loose. I do think you'd see improved RB recruiting, and more importantly development on the field. 

Also, we had fucking Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, and Shon Mitchell in the same goddamn backfield. Roosevelt Leaks and Earl Campbell as well. Cedric Benson, Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young. I'll hold off on the best run of RBs I've seen. Hell, I'd take those guys in the room living up to Ogbonnaya and Charles. 

• Like 3

Imo, Broughton is a top 3-5 in the state type, Collins is a top 7-10 type, and Umanlyman is a top 25-30 type (he’s lower than his natural talent, which I’d say is something in the high to mid teens, says he should be due to some potential red flag concerns that I have with him). I’d rather land all three, but I think this staff is more than capable of finding a top 25-30 in the state replacement.

I’m much more concerned about the Broughton and Collins recruitments; those misses would be serious downers for the recruiting class in the end. It wouldn’t be the end of the world, but it would be very fucking annoying. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Drayton only recruited Ingram from that list.

He had/has little or nothing to do with Brown, Whittington, and Robinson. Wheaton is being recruited by Samples with Drayton tagging along - much like he did with Derrian Brown who was all Jason Washington. 

Drayton would have an entire RB room recruited by anyone but him. I think you could toss his worthless ass to the trash heap pretty easily. These guys aren't here because of him and I don't think you'd see any attrition if he was cut loose. I do think you'd see improved RB recruiting, and more importantly development on the field. 

Also, we had fucking Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes, and Shon Mitchell in the same goddamn backfield. Roosevelt Leaks and Earl Campbell as well. Cedric Benson, Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young. I'll hold off on the best run of RBs I've seen. Hell, I'd take those guys in the room living up to Ogbonnaya and Charles. 

Ricky Brown, Hodges Mitchell, Maurice Gordon, Victor Ike

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I lose track of which posters are the insiders on here and which ones are the people who emphatically state their opinions as fact until the rest of the board accepts it as canon.

Just imagine how hard it is for those of us without a server farm full of memory storage

• Like 4

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

Also, since we're running up on this topic again I'd like to point out that while the matchup between Price and Giles as recruiters is very lopsided, MOST if not ALL of the current issues surrounding the "scheme fit" and "my position at Texas" etc ... that we have heard from EVERY SINGLE DL recruit -- stems not from Giles and Price. It's ALWAYS after meeting with Elko and dissecting film with Elko. Orlando is an absolutely terrible recruiter and while a good position recruiter might be able to overcome some of that nonsense, the fact that Orlando is constantly getting pantsed is a HUGE problem. Giles working from behind is not going to net us positive results. 

Look, I get that surly loves a good Giles pile but the reality is that Orlando is getting pantsed here. He's really got more of an NFL mindset because he simply doesn't view recruiting as a huge portion of his job (or at all). To his credit Elko knows how to recruit and is doing it, he's not as good in any other facet of the job but he can recruit and his impact is clear after each one of these DL visits. Luckily they have some terrible position coaches so that the impact is negated elsewhere. (see here: Bradley Dale and Linguist) 

If Naivar is indeed the DC replacement for Orlando - we will see a drastic difference in quotes and impact from defensive recruits on visits to Texas. I don't know if he can gameplan as well, and I don't know if he can scheme as well but as a recruiter it will be a drastic improvement. 

One of the best posts in the entire thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Additionally, as much as many here bag on Drayton, myself included, what happens if we bag Robinson in this class, and get an early verbal from Camar Wheaton in 2021? If you're Herman, at that point, you probably can't part with Drayton either. That leaves you back to the Wareheim and Mehringer options. 

Wheaton would be 100% Samples, and the whole #DallasToAustin movement he has started.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Wheaton would be 100% Samples, and the whole #DallasToAustin movement he has started.

I understand completely, believe me. As another poster said, I don't think it will matter who did what in the recruitment. We all know Giles didn't have shit to do with Corburn either, or Ed Oliver at UH. I'm just saying, he'll get credit on the RB room from Herman anyway, I expect. That's just my opinion, although the way Herman treated Mehringer's recruiter of the year title publicly lends credence to that, at least publicly. 

29 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Priest Holmes>Ricky Williams>Hodges Mitchell>Cedric Benson>Selvin Young>Jamal Charles would like a word with you.

I guess I simply do not remember Jamal Charles and Preist Holmes playing together. Are you confused and/or high? 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I guess I simply do not remember Jamal Charles and Preist Holmes playing together. Are you confused and/or high? 

Hey dummy, you didn't say "playing together". Your exact words were "that might be the best run of RB's at Texas that I can remember." The run of RBs from Priest to Jamal was pretty fucking impressive. And you also seem to be giving credit to Drayton for recruiting and not yet landing a bunch of guys for whom he wasn't the primary recruiter. Clearly you, sir, are the confused and high poster.

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Hey dummy, you didn't say "playing together". Your exact words were "that might be the best run of RB's at Texas that I can remember." The run of RBs from Priest to Jamal was pretty fucking impressive. And you also seem to be giving credit to Drayton for recruiting and not yet landing a bunch of guys for whom he wasn't the primary recruiter. Clearly you, sir, are the confused and high poster.

I just assume everyone here is confused and high.

Just now, satyanash said:

I think you saw a post speculating that he had passed, based on speculation that Texas offered.

It's speculation all the way down.

Thanks for the clarification.  Guess we have to keep the Manor option open until NM and Utah solidify.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

I’m much more concerned about the Broughton and Collins recruitments; those misses would be serious downers for the recruiting class in the end. It wouldn’t be the end of the world, but it would be very fucking annoying. 

This is where I'm at.  Those 2 will be the difference in this being a great class to stack with the last 2 or just a pretty good one.

Fillinger looks pretty good if he does end up being in the class instead of Princely.  He ran a 4.25 shuttle ( faster than aggy DB commit J. Jones ).  He's a 4* on ESPN and 247 and his ranking went up on the last Rivals update so I don't think his .8778 composite is right.

It's a shame DL recruiting is like this, but Herb Hand can get whoever he wants on OL unless they have a Stanford obsessed mom ( Bragg ) or have nothing but aggy all around them 24/7 ( Green ).

Supposedly Fillinger may be headed back this weekend for an OV.

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Not a brawl, but more than one player threw punches during the game I watched. One of them had already been flagged for unnecessary roughness on a play (as I recall, he was on the ground and pulled an opposing player down by his balls). He was immediately flagged, stood up, and threw a punch (at the guy HE grabbed by the balls) right in front of the ref. Of course he was ejected. But there was a lot of stuff like that in the game. It was extremely unnecessary and really impacted the flow of the game and their ability to move the ball. Seems like they had 200 yards in penalties. Seriously one of the ugliest games I have ever seen. 

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1