Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Back to more important matters.

Watched some hudl film on the Thompsons since they’re next up. Jerrin has good range which I expected, but he’s a better hitter/form tackler than I expected. He looks good.  

CTJ is about what everybody has said. Great downhill defensive player. Reminds me a bit of Landon Collins. Could be tackle machine as hybrid/box safety. Film and awesome offer list contradict the 247 ranking of #72 in the state this year. 

These two guys plus Bijan will make for a great week. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

If Bijan, Thompson Jr., Thompson, and Johnston commit to Texas, my recruiting priority list is:

Collins

CB2 (hopefully Pouncey or flip Jahari Rogers)

Rover/Mac LB (not Brennon Scott)

RB2 (hopefully Ty Jordan)

HWR (hopefully Bunkley-Shelton if grades check out)

XWR

Boundary and/or Field safety

Late bloomer DL or Princely, if he wants in

Late bloomer OL

What's your target number for Horns 2020 Class?       (My guess is 23)

Best guess for probable number of Juco transfers in 2020 Class?      (My guess is 2)

2 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Back to more important matters.

Watched some hudl film on the Thompsons since they’re next up. Jerrin has good range which I expected, but he’s a better hitter/form tackler than I expected. He looks good.  

CTJ is about what everybody has said. Great downhill defensive player. Reminds me a bit of Landon Collins. Could be tackle machine as hybrid/box safety. Film and awesome offer list contradict the 247 ranking of #72 in the state this year. 

These two guys plus Bijan will make for a great week. 

This is one of the situations we see a handful of times every year, in regards to CTJ. 247 gets overly clever and in their own heads and decide this guy is between positions. Rivals and ESPN rest on their laurels with earlier evaluations and end up being correct on the kid, while 247 just over-thinks it and fucks it up. CTJ is a stud and he a great fit in this defense. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is one of the situations we see a handful of times every year, in regards to CTJ. 247 gets overly clever and in their own heads and decide this guy is between positions. Rivals and ESPN rest on their laurels with earlier evaluations and end up being correct on the kid, while 247 just over-thinks it and fucks it up. CTJ is a stud and he a great fit in this defense. 

I mean, how many kids ranked lower than 500 overall have committable offers from UT, USC and Ohio State?  Bitch please 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I mean, how many kids ranked lower than 500 overall have committable offers from UT, USC and Ohio State?  Bitch please 

at a certain point you can't focus on the specific rankings in the overall grouping. I think they themselves have said it recently, focus on the score not the rankings when you are at that point.

i mean, at this point he is certainly better than the #70 something (72?) ranked player in the state. assuming he has a Sr year like his Jr year, he probably jumps up and we hear more cries of BOMC!!!! from people ignoring the fact that 3 months ago he was just outside the Top247 150 and 12 months ago he was in the 50-55 overall range.

side note, when is the next planned Top247 update generally? do they do one during the season?

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

10 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

247’s problem is that they focus too much on safeties’ abilities to cover a WR 1 on 1. CTJ looks like shit in WR v DB drills, but that shouldn’t matter because he’s never going to be asked to do that. 

When you consider that he’ll be playing Joker or Rover in our defense, he’s a great fit and he’s going to be a stud.

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Bill Greene, an ohio guy, put in a cb to Bijan to texas

It’s been so great watching all these tOSU cocksuckers putting in picks for Bijan to Texas.

Knowing they’ve now missed on all their premiere RB targets is just icing on the cake. I will die laughing if one of those goobs starts a thread asking for Drayton to come back.

• Like 2

A few 2020 notes from IT

Credit to the staff for its persistence this cycle battling through some difficult recruitments and having a productive July and likely beginning of August. 

Already in for the month are defensive end Vernon Broughton, outside linebacker Prince Dorbah, offensive tackle Andrej Karic, and defensive end Van Fillinger. Texas could potentially add safety Chris Thompson Jr. (we're watching Auburn) and running back Bijan Robinson (we're watching USC). We don't want to take anything for granted, but things look good on both fronts.

This class has been rockier sledding than initially anticipated; along with the hits came some misses in the form of safety Bryson Washington, safety Lathan Ransom, and corner Jahari Rogers. Landing bigs and missing on DB's isn't the most Texas thing ever, but one positive development is the offer and press for Lufkin's Jerrin Thompson. The 6-foot, 180 pounder would tuck neatly into the program as a nickel or field safety and we feel Texas is in great standing.

- Vernon Broughton returned to campus with his mother and sister, Asia. This was more of a basketball trip for Asia, but Coach Giles spent most of the day with the family as they toured around. The Broughtons are extremely happy with the decision.

- Alfred Collins didn't make it to OU this past weekend. Along with our own intel, confidence is waning with other schools. I don't think that would be happening if he was going to take his official visits this fall. We think he knows where he's going. Having recruits in his ear of late seems to be helping.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

- Alfred Collins didn't make it to OU this past weekend. Along with our own intel, confidence is waning with other schools. I don't think that would be happening if he was going to take his official visits this fall. We think he knows where he's going. Having recruits in his ear of late seems to be helping.

I like this comment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Vernon Broughton returned to campus with his mother and sister, Asia. This was more of a basketball trip for Asia, but Coach Giles spent most of the day with the family as they toured around. The Broughtons are extremely happy with the decision.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

At this point, I'm just praying for a solid JUCO.

I'm hoping for a late rising senior. Or we just go the Sooner route and use the transfer market every year. 

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Of course he’s going to be smiling at the end of his commitment. *Unless it’s a another awkward commitment like that midget receiver a few years back.

Ryan Newsome. God that was cringe worthy. I assume he never amounted to anything. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just a little more on Daron Roberts (podcast with Bryan Carrington)

https://sportsleadership.utexas.edu/about/staff/  

"Roberts holds a bachelor’s in Plan II Honors and Government from the University of Texas (2001), where he served as student body president. He then worked as an aide to Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut before continuing his education at Harvard where he earned a Master of Public Policy degree from the Kennedy School of Government (2004) and a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law School (2007)."

ha, back in 2000 or 2001 i was at across the street bar the night before the TX OU game, they would just give you pitchers of beer for $2 or something crazy. got hammered and went to stand against the wall with my pitcher in my hand. next to me is this guy hammered as well with his pitcher in his hand. 

really cool guy, talked to him for a bit