Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

FYI on Pouncey:

-Amazing ball skills. Elite in this regard.

-Underdeveloped and probably weighs 165lbs soaking wet. Will blossom physically in college. 

-78 inch wing span

-I would expect Jordan Pouncey to be plenty involved in the WR rotation.

-He’d be the best CB signed in Bilbo Fisher’s 3 classes at ATM. Liucci is a fucking clown to attempt to talk shit about him and his ranking. We should save his bullshit and tweet bomb his clown ass in 3 years. 

The comment about jordan, is that because he's earned it or is this a solid to placate and get Ethan?

Roach didn't VIP his late-night notes today:

Gabe Brooks reported confidence in Texas landing West Mesquite RB Ty Jordan. I’ve heard similar, and a source confirmed to me tonight that Jordan is close to making a decision. I’d expect something before the season.

I also spoke with a source who told me four-star Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston is close to making his commitment. It appears to be a very tight race between Texas and TCU, and TCU WR coach Malcolm Kelly is doing a lot of great work in this recruitment. I’ve mentioned that Quentin is a tough read, and nobody seems to have any idea where he’s leaning. If I had to make a pick today it would be Texas but that could change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Also, if the Pouncey brothers stick it out and have some success here, there are two more Pouncey brothers that could appear on our radar at some point. One of them already has a HUDL page at 11 years old: http://www.hudl.com/profile/4353627/Ayden-Pouncey

It’s a damn shame the Shipley’s didn’t fuck the way the pounceys did.  We’ve had a pouncey in the croot chats since 2005 and looks to last through 2026

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Is that OU Malcolm Kelly?

If so, we're all old as fuck

Whoa that makes me nervous. He and his freestyle skills vs Coach Meh? 

Sippin codeine cuz I got a killer cough Vs Faux Hawk

Edited by GRHorn

Fall camp has me thinking about how the 2020 Texas team has potential to be a national championship team if the Ehlinger and Cosmi return.  That has me thinking about this class through the lens of which guys could contribute to a championship team as freshman.

In 2005, Texas got a lot of help from Charles (878 yards, 11 TDs) and Melton (10 TDs) and that was basically it.

Obviously Bijan is the most likely to contribute.  Running backs can play early, championship teams typically have a stable of elite backs, and he's our highest rated recruit.  So duh.

But similar to 2005, I don't think any of the 2020 defensive recruits have a real chance at playing meaningful snaps that first year.  Probably a good sign and something that separates the potential of the 2020 roster from the past decade of relying on youth at defense.

Other than Bijan, who from this class could contribute (sans special teams) if our 2020 roster is as good as we hope?

I feel like the answer is any halfway decent linebacker... and that's what kind of kills me about Orlando and this class.  If we had one linebacker anywhere in the realm of our class average, I feel like they'd instantly be the 2nd most likely candidate to play as a freshman.

3 minutes ago, fellside said:

Fall camp has me thinking about how the 2020 Texas team has potential to be a national championship team if the Ehlinger and Cosmi return.  That has me thinking about this class through the lens of which guys could contribute to a championship team as freshman.

In 2005, Texas got a lot of help from Charles (878 yards, 11 TDs) and Melton (10 TDs) and that was basically it.

Obviously Bijan is the most likely to contribute.  Running backs can play early, championship teams typically have a stable of elite backs, and he's our highest rated recruit.  So duh.

But similar to 2005, I don't think any of the 2020 defensive recruits have a real chance at playing meaningful snaps that first year.  Probably a good sign and something that separates the potential of the 2020 roster from the past decade of relying on youth at defense.

Other than Bijan, who from this class could contribute (sans special teams) if our 2020 roster is as good as we hope?

I feel like the answer is any halfway decent linebacker... and that's what kind of kills me about Orlando and this class.  If we had one linebacker anywhere in the realm of our class average, I feel like they'd instantly be the 2nd most likely candidate to play as a freshman.

It's a good thing we have 4 games to play true freshman to find out....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BruceVonClaude said:

It's a good thing we have 4 games to play true freshman to find out....

Well yeah.  And by that logic we have like 17 months to figure this out.  But sometimes (read: pretty much always) message boards are speculative and time wasting and people make guesses about the future.

4 minutes ago, fellside said:

Well yeah.  And by that logic we have like 17 months to figure this out.  But sometimes (read: pretty much always) message boards are speculative and time wasting and people make guesses about the future.

Well yeah.  That's the point of message boards (read: pretty much always), but happy to be wasting time with you!

18 minutes ago, fellside said:

I'd need to know who is enrolling early. I could absolutely see Dorbah as a situational edge rusher if he goes through spring ball and summer conditioning. Bijan is the obvious answer, lets you experiment with moving Whittington around while preserving the ability to go two-back. Hullaby, even as the lowest ranked recruit, could compete for time at LB as a EE if that's where they put him. I don't know the plan there at all - spit-balling. Generally, though, this class is about bringing in a small group of elite talent to bolster the overall talent level of the program in a  year where numbers are tight. I think the ideal vision of this class isn't one that pushes the team across the finish line for a championship in 2020, but is a huge part of a lot of success in 2021-24.

13 hours ago, Goodman said:

BC guys read better than they listen IMO.

- Horncast is a podcast network which is/was managed by @OnAComputer This includes Barking Carnival & 4th and 5.

- Longhorn Blitz - they now have Roach for recruiting as part of the show

- BON-Longhorn Republic

-Longhorn Confidential is Brian Davis' as the MC with Bohls and Golden as guests.

- Fire Tom Herman

- Eyes of TX is the IT podcast with Nahlin & Wells

- The Hook'em huddle I expect to start up during season again

- The Audible and Yahoo College podcast are good for national CFB

- Stick to Football is good for NFL and CFB, they are longhorn fans.

- Ten12 is ok for our league

- 104.9 when Joe Cook is a guest, usually Monday's at 11AM. I would pass on Wells on Wednesday@12.

- FCB can have some good info on his morning show but you have to be a masochist to listen to that show.

Will Surou be doing another podcast this season? I really hope so. That was fucking-motorboatin'-tits last year. @immamac

@blacklab

18 hours ago, Goodman said:

BC guys read better than they listen IMO.

- Horncast is a podcast network which is/was managed by @OnAComputer This includes Barking Carnival & 4th and 5.

- Longhorn Blitz - they now have Roach for recruiting as part of the show

- BON-Longhorn Republic

-Longhorn Confidential is Brian Davis' as the MC with Bohls and Golden as guests.

- Fire Tom Herman

- Eyes of TX is the IT podcast with Nahlin & Wells

- The Hook'em huddle I expect to start up during season again

- The Audible and Yahoo College podcast are good for national CFB

- Stick to Football is good for NFL and CFB, they are longhorn fans.

- Ten12 is ok for our league

- 104.9 when Joe Cook is a guest, usually Monday's at 11AM. I would pass on Wells on Wednesday@12.

- FCB can have some good info on his morning show but you have to be a masochist to listen to that show.

so you're basically saying "Fuck the day job."

14 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah, but where do they rank in the Texags rankings?

Kitan Crawford: #182 overall, #11 CB, #27 in State --> #19 in Looch 44
Josh Eaton: #355 composite, #28 CB, #51 state --> #26 in Looch 44

hilariously, he has Haynes King at #15

top 10 is Demas, Evans, Drew Sanders, McGowan, JQJ, McCllellan, Alfred Collins, Jaylong Jones, Troy O, Chad Lindberg

• Broughton is 14
  • Kimber is 16
  • Card is 18
  • Garth is 22
  • RJ Mickens is 24
  • Dorbah is 40
  • Josh White is 42

his CBs in order are Jaylon Jones at 8, Watts at 13, Kimber at 16, Crawford at 19, Lorando Johnson (LSU) at 23, Eaton 26

guessing he re-does this in the near future? He can't have Haynes King at #15 in the state when 247 (non composite) has him at #19 nationally and #4 in the state (composite 78, 13 in state) but is waiting for Rivals to release their update first and composite to update?

7 hours ago, fellside said:

While he’s clearly not a 2020 recruit, I join many others in hoping that “new guy” is Floyd. 

• Like 1

With the caveat that these things change, here are the potential EEs I have that are still on our board

Hudson Card
Logan Parr
Jake Majors
Ja'Quinden Jackson

Vernon Broughton

Zach Evans
Bryson Washington
Princely Umanmielen
Xavion Alford

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Apparently Super K thinks Texas is still pushing for and might land Eaton. As of yesterday, the IT guys thought Texas was done with Eaton. He's supposed to be deciding soon, so we'll see. 

I'd love to take him, fuck the numbers. At some point we're going to hit a wall where guys that have real talent are going to look to transfer. It's inevitable. Take him, keep him from aTm, laugh outlandishly, and if he develops into a freak with his innate talent and measurables, great. If he doesn't it will be like watching Montrell Estell or someone of that ilk transferring. I would have said Marques Caldwell but I've been informed by a poster here that he's Deon Sanders mixed with Champ Bailey in their prime, so clearly that guy isn't going anywhere. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

Apparently Super K thinks Texas is still pushing for and might land Eaton. As of yesterday, the IT guys thought Texas was done with Eaton. He's supposed to be deciding soon, so we'll see. 

Based on the way he's reporting it, there seems to be disagreement among the coaches over whether he's a take or not.