Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, ConfettiRain said:

Not to defend Boyce (though I’m of the apparently unpopular opinion that he’s a solid average cornerback with a small gap between his floor and ceiling) but it was Overshown #31 who had that embarrassing play you’re referencing . . . just to be fair, and to keep our four/five star guys as accountable as our three star guys. 

I’m no longer in a position to look at the replay. But a table of 4 guys last night felt it was #38 as opposed to 31, and I watched again this morning and I saw 38. Someone else can spot check but if it was Overshown then an entire table of UT fans went Ole. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I’m no longer in a position to look at the replay. But a table of 4 guys last night felt it was #38 as opposed to 31, and I watched again this morning and I saw 38. Someone else can spot check but if it was Overshown then an entire table of UT fans went Ole. 

I’m not in a position to go back and check. I just remember after the replay going to Texas Sports website to double check the roster so I could be disappointed at whoever #31 was . . . and if forgotten it was Overshown. Maybe I mis-saw the number. But it wasn’t for lack of trying to spot it right when it happened. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, ConfettiRain said:

Not to defend Boyce (though I’m of the apparently unpopular opinion that he’s a solid average cornerback with a small gap between his floor and ceiling) but it was Overshown #31 who had that embarrassing play you’re referencing . . . just to be fair, and to keep our four/five star guys as accountable as our three star guys. 

https://www.totalprosports.com/2019/08/31/texas-longhorns-cb-celebrates-incomplete-pass-not-realizing-wr-caught-it-ran-for-more-yards-video/

As other posters have confirmed, feel free to fuck your own face. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ConfettiRain said:

Maybe you’ve thought Boyce was number 31 for the last two years. That’s the only explanation for calling Boyce a “solid average cornerback.” 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ConfettiRain said:

This was Boyce, as was giving the receiver a guillotine neck breaker when he mistimed a deep ball and got a PI on third and long. Boyce has no business on the field considering our other options.

Horns247 Road Notebook: Which recruits impressed this week?

Horns247's Mike Roach and Clint Buckley hit the road over the weekend and saw several top Texas targets. Here are their thoughts from their time on the trail.

Commits

WR Quentin Johnston, Temple - Texas 2020 wide receiver commit Quentin Johnston began his senior season Friday night at Round Rock Cedar Ridge. He finished with four catches for 87 yards, which included a 53-yard touchdown reception in the second half of his team’s 35-29 loss. Johnston looked smooth running routes, and was targeted multiple times. However, his quarterback struggled mightily all night, throwing five interceptions, three of them coming on balls intended for Johnston. - Buckley

OL Logan Parr, San Antonio O’Connor – Parr and O’Connor saw their impressive regular season win streak snapped by Cibolo Steele. Though Parr and the rest of the O’Connor offensive line paved the way for 31 points, miscues on special teams and defensive busts cost them the game. Parr played extremely well showing off his technical ability, nasty demeanor, and overall athleticism. Parr is a strong fit for the Texas pro-spread offense with his ability to move and finish. – Roach

Offered Targets

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek – Collins and Cedar Creek dominated Austin Northeast in a 47-0 rout. Collins sat for most of the second half with the game in hand, but he was able to record 4 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 fumble recoveries, a forced fumble, and a pair of two point conversion catches. Collins shows exceptional burst for his size, and he has the ability to truly dominate when one-on-one. He’s still raw as a prospect and must work on using his hands better at the point of attack and playing with better pad level. - Roach

RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite - West Mesquite 2020 running back Ty Jordan shined in his team’s 41-21 season-opening loss to Hutto in Waco on Saturday afternoon. Jordan rushed 12 times for 56 yards and two touchdowns, and added 10 receptions for 79 yards and a touchdown. Jordan was his team’s lone bright spot on offense, which was mostly shut down by a stout Hutto defense led by 2021 four-star defensive end and LSU commit Landyn Watson. Jordan was best out in space, whether running off-tackle out of the backfield or catching passes out of the slot. - Buckley

Three to watch

WR J.Michael Sturdivant, Flower Mound Marcus (2021) – Sturdivant got off to a fast start, but the Marcus offense struggled against an athletic Bowie squad. Sturdivant recorded 3 catches for 46 yards on the night and showed good physicality and the ability to haul in some contested catches in traffic. Sturdivant must work on his route running and initial explosiveness, but he’s an intriguing receiver to watch in the 2021 cycle. - Roach

QB Grayson Doggett, Hutto (2022) - Hutto 2022 QB Grayson Doggett was impressive in his varsity debut, completing 20 of 28 passes for 275 yards and a touchdown. When he had time, he was on the money, especially downfield. - Buckley

DE Travion Mitchell, West Mesquite - West Mesquite 2022 DE Travion Mitchell looked great Saturday afternoon, making several stops at or behind the line of scrimmage. The sophomore is listed at 6-foot-4, 230 pounds. - Buckley

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

To me, Eno Benjamin was one of Strong’s most egregious eval misses outside of his penchant for taking a bunch of weak minded snowflakes.

Eno was actually Herman, he took Toniel Carter instead, probably Herman’s biggest miss since he’s been here.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

No strong didn't pick the kid at TCU (Anderson?), instead got Porter. Herman got Toneil Carter when he de-committed from Jawja.. Eno then went to ASU.

This is correct.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Even after reading everything that has been said about Sweat, I was blown away. If he was on the field, there was absolutely no yardage to be gained running the ball. 

That play where he blew up a double team to plug the hole in the first half...man. 

I remember feeling gutted when aggy got Leal last year. He was the only recruit I thought might be a difference maker in the CFP. A year later Sweat looks like the difference maker and Leal not so much.

It's hard to blame Herman for the 2017 transition class, it was in a shity position because Strong preferred to recruit late December through February. There wasn't a lot of time to build a strong enough evaluations on both those kids. Maybe you could blame them for not knowing more about each one at UH. Carter would be getting a shit ton of carries right now had he wanted to work, he cultured out and Rischad was on his ass about him being lazy.

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Do you know anything about Leal’s situation? He missed all of spring practice because of a cartilage tear in his knee. Of course he’s not making a difference at this point.

Yeah but now that there has been one game we can make definitive conclusions about them, especially when it means our guy is better 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Epps can’t deal with the physicality of 175 pound pressing CBs

This is somewhat contradictory, but Boyce’s resume is a little longer than Epps’. Boyce has had multiple chances in games and hasn’t acquitted himself super well in his appearances. I understand the criticism and know where I’m at where it comes to the hyperbolic criticism on this thread.

That was Epps’ basically second time with the spotlight on him ever. The first was against Tech last year. Maybe that play was a wake up call.

Edited by randygilman