Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They had a veteran front 7. According to the aggy radio guys, almost every play an aggy front 7 player was going to the injury tent.

If Miami rolls them next week, the locker room is going to explode. Fisher made horrible hires at OL and DC, and then juggled his entire offensive coaching staff heading into fall practice. Max Johnson isn't fixing this offense.

I think they started cramping in the 4th

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

From a 247 poster so take it FWIW.  May have been mentioned in his video, IDK.

Screenshot_20220912-114422_Chrome.jpg

A) that's not what Pate said.

B) that's not what is happening.

C) If they collapse and wind up 2-4 or 1-5 by the time they reach off week, yes, this could happen because they hired mercenaries and this is an era of free agency and openly paying players with no salary cap. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

A) that's not what Pate said.

B) that's not what is happening.

C) If they collapse and wind up 2-4 or 1-5 by the time they reach off week, yes, this could happen because they hired mercenaries and this is an era of free agency and openly paying players with no salary cap. 

Pretty sure we were all predicting a roster implosion last season as well then they somehow beat Bama while we proceeded to completely shit the bed and we know the rest of the story.    This is a delicious start for the "Jimbo runs a prehistoric offense" narrative that has now firmly taken hold but lot of football left to play.  Considering we're about to start a Austin High QB week 3 I'm not counting my chickens as to how this season will play out.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Pretty sure we were all predicting a roster implosion last season as well then they somehow beat Bama while we proceeded to completely shit the bed and we know the rest of the story.    This is a delicious start for the "Jimbo runs a prehistoric offense" narrative that has now firmly taken hold but lot of football left to play.  Considering we're about to start a Austin High QB week 3 I'm not counting my chickens as to how this season will play out.

While I agree with being hesitant about Texas, I also don't think it is related to anything that might happen at ATM. I'm not predicting any fallout for ATM unless they actually collapse. I think that's possible, but to your point, they rallied around the Bama game last year and saved their season. I could see them fixing things this year too, albeit I don't know how. 

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not predicting any fallout for ATM unless they actually collapse. I think that's possible, but to your point, they rallied around the Bama game last year and saved their season. I could see them fixing things this year too, albeit I don't know how. 

This is where I am. I just think they rally this week and, with the help of some coaching malpractice by Cristobal, they beat Miami. Then they go 2-2 over the next 4 and probably end up at their traditional resting spot of 8-4. I don’t know how they turn things around, but college football is just too much of a week to week game for me to believe a team with that much talent just craters.  It happens from time to time (see us in 2010), but I can’t believe we’ll be that lucky. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

One big difference this yea is that they are about to play, after Miami, 4 straight games away from Kyle Field.  A 'neutral site' game against Arkansas, then Miss ST, Alabama, and South Carolina.  If they win two of those that will be an incredibly successful road trip and will have them at either 3-4 or 4-3 depending on Miami game outcome.

If they are 3-4 heading back home to play Ole Miss and then Florida - that might be where things just come completely apart.

Last years schedule only had 3 true road games - Missouri, Ole Miss, and LSU and they lost two of those.

This is Captain Obvious, but they have a lot riding on this Miami game.  Feels like the lynchpin game for the whole season.  1-2 with games against the Hogs in Dallas, and road games in Starkville and Bama is fucking ugly.  I don't see how they win 2 out of those 3, which they would need to do to save the season IMO.

3 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

This is where I am. I just think they rally this week and, with the help of some coaching malpractice by Cristobal, they beat Miami. Then they go 2-2 over the next 4 and probably end up at their traditional resting spot of 8-4. I don’t know how they turn things around, but college football is just too much of a week to week game for me to believe a team with that much talent just craters.  It happens from time to time (see us in 2010), but I can’t believe we’ll be that lucky. 

They are not going to fall off a cliff. Last week was like a bar fight where a little midget jumps on your back in a rear naked choke and just hangs on for dear life until you pass out... I never did find that little fucker. At any rate, they will recover and it wouldn't shock me if they beat Miami this week. Miami is a team that they should beat all things being equal, unless Jimbo plays Haynes for too long. I think they will lose to Arkansas and Bama the following two weeks. 

On the other hand, here is how I think they may be in real trouble. How many times in the 20-50 years of watching football have you seen a team shuffle position coaches a few weeks before the season? That is a sign that Jimbo knows his offense is going to be terrible. Looking at how bad King is, and the fact that Johnson can't beat him out, tells me maybe it was to remove Dickey from the QB room. Either way, the damage is done. Those guys are not going to get 10X better week to week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

They are not going to fall off a cliff. Last week was like a bar fight where a little midget jumps on your back in a rear naked choke and just hangs on for dear life until you pass out... I never did find that little fucker. At any rate, they will recover and it wouldn't shock me if they beat Miami this week. Miami is a team that they should beat all things being equal, unless Jimbo plays Haynes for too long. I think they will lose to Arkansas and Bama the following two weeks. 

On the other hand, here is how I think they may be in real trouble. How many times in the 20-50 years of watching football have you seen a team shuffle position coaches a few weeks before the season? That is a sign that Jimbo knows his offense is going to be terrible. Looking at how bad King is, and the fact that Johnson can't beat him out, tells me maybe it was to remove Dickey from the QB room. Either way, the damage is done. Those guys are not going to get 10X better week to week. 

Maybe I don't get the analogy but I don't agree with this at all. 

I would take App State to beat aggy again if they played in a couple weeks. They're just the better team and dominated at the LOS. That wasn't "a little midget holding on for dear life." They were also missing their top RB, arguably their top defensive player, and another starting LB missed the entire second half. 

That was a straight up ass kicking. Not a midget holding on for dear life. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

This is Captain Obvious, but they have a lot riding on this Miami game.  Feels like the lynchpin game for the whole season.  1-2 with games against the Hogs in Dallas, and road games in Starkville and Bama is fucking ugly.  I don't see how they win 2 out of those 3, which they would need to do to save the season IMO.

Yeah, I think the toughest three games are following Miami. 

Arkansas on a neutral field

AT Miss State

At Alabama 

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe I don't get the analogy but I don't agree with this at all. 

I would take App State to beat aggy again if they played in a couple weeks. They're just the better team and dominated at the LOS. That wasn't "a little midget holding on for dear life." They were also missing their top RB, arguably their top defensive player, and another starting LB missed the entire second half. 

That was a straight up ass kicking. Not a midget holding on for dear life. 

This is where I’m at regarding the App State match up. @Vertigo did you watch the fucking game? That wasn’t some fluke upset. App State kicked their ass at the LOS. 

Honestly, the truly big mystery right now is how in the fuck ATM is a mildly heavy favorite heading into this Miami game. Miami has talent across the defense. The QB will play in the pros. The TB is all conference. You know their OL will be well coached.

Cristobal is an in-game idiot, but Miami has the talent to come in and just kick the shit out of ATM. It’s like Vegas is expecting a serious adjustment from both the OL and DL of ATM. Maybe that happens with the DL, but that isn’t happening with that OL. The ATM OL is flat out obviously going to be a liability all season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My only guess for why Vegas has aggy as the favorite is the Miami offense struggled in the 1st half against Southern Miss. 

But they treated that game like a scrimmage with injuries and suspensions. Their potential first round LT played limited reps, their starting RB played limited reps, and one of their starting WRs was suspended. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is where I’m at regarding the App State match up. @Vertigo did you watch the fucking game? That wasn’t some fluke upset. App State kicked their ass at the LOS. 

Honestly, the truly big mystery right now is how in the fuck ATM is a mildly heavy favorite heading into this Miami game. Miami has talent across the defense. The QB will play in the pros. The TB is all conference. You know their OL will be well coached.

Cristobal is an in-game idiot, but Miami has the talent to come in and just kick the shit out of ATM. It’s like Vegas is expecting a serious adjustment from both the OL and DL of ATM. Maybe that happens with the DL, but that isn’t happening with that OL. The ATM OL is flat out obviously going to be a liability all season. 

Yeah I saw it. Trust me, I want more than anything for what you are saying to be true. I want the wheels to fall off in spectacular fashion while Reveille takes a shit in Jimbo's shoe at halftime. but they are going to win some games we don't think they will. It happens every year. It may be ugly, and they may have the most boring team to watch in history, but they will eek out a few wins. They are never as bad as we think they will be, they are just also never as good as they think they will be. All I am saying is that I can see them winning this weekend. But even if they do, they are still fucked and they are locked in to Jimbo for another 10 years and the noise is going to get very very loud coming out of CStat this season.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah I saw it. Trust me, I want more than anything for what you are saying to be true. I want the wheels to fall off in spectacular fashion while Reveille takes a shit in Jimbo's shoe at halftime. but they are going to win some games we don't think they will. It happens every year. It may be ugly, and they may have the most boring team to watch in history, but they will eek out a few wins. They are never as bad as we think they will be, they are just also never as good as they think they will be. All I am saying is that I can see them winning this weekend. But even if they do, they are still fucked and they are locked in to Jimbo for another 10 years and the noise is going to get very very loud coming out of CStat this season.

Speak for yourself. They appear to be worse than I thought they would be, and I was thinking 6-6/7-5. They just lost to Appalachian State at home and got beaten up on both sides of the ball in doing so. That’s hard to recover from and no team that has that happen is going better than 6-6. None. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This is exactly right.  I would love for a 3-5 win season for them but they will play like crap in most games just like last year but somehow find a way to win most of them.  I see them beating Miami and Arkansas and maybe even Miss St in ugly games.  They should get drummed by Bama.  

I normally agree that it's not as bad as we normally think and that's been primarily driven by their elite defensive line. It's been far from the dominating force it's been in years past. Maybe that's coming. 

I think this is a critical game for aggy and Jimbo probably knows it. 

If they lose the Miami game I'm not sure the "wheels fall off" but I see no way they get to 8-4. 

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

This is exactly right.  I would love for a 3-5 win season for them but they will play like crap in most games just like last year but somehow find a way to win most of them.  I see them beating Miami and Arkansas and maybe even Miss St in ugly games.  They should get drummed by Bama.  

They've been finding ways to win because their defensive line has been so disruptive. 

Their DL looks nothing like it has in years past. Maybe that's coming with more experience. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They've been finding ways to win because their defensive line has been so disruptive. 

Their DL looks nothing like it has in years past. Maybe that's coming with more experience. 

Their DL has been beat up, so the depth is not there. Maybe things change once they get healthy, but they were committing heavy numbers to the box against Appalachian State, and still couldn't stop the run game. They will not be able to do that against teams that can throw the ball and stress their slow CBs.

Listening to their announcers on Saturday, the most excited they got, which was after every positive play by aggy, was when they didn't jump offsides with 2 minutes to go in the 1st half.

The promptly went 3 and out after getting the punt.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

They didn't best Arkansas last year, I suspect this year Pittman makes a statement 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

They didn't best Arkansas last year, I suspect this year Pittman makes a statement 

They were on the way to getting their asses kicked by Arkansas last year until their QB got hurt on hit out of bounds.  He was not the same the rest of the game (and really the rest of the season).  I rarely bet on games, but I am going to put some money on that one.

• Hook 'Em 2

So I got a dumb question… What area of the D did Elko have specific control over and how much interaction did he have shaping the scheme for the DL?

Their DL looks lost and completely out of sync with the LBs. It’s like watching us last year with none of the position groups being on the same page.

I know going into the season everyone thought their LBs and CBs could be an issue, but their DL as a whole had been man handled.