Obi-Wan Series on Disney+ Staring Ewan McGregor

Viper

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I remember overall when I first started I "clicked" with Rebels much faster than Clone Wars; possibly because early Clone Wars had lots "filler" episodes that felt VERY kid-centric... like having whole episodes about a few droids, etc.  Rebels had Ezra and *some* kid stuff but felt very much like the OT to me.

But I will say when Clone Wars gets dark, it gets DARK. There are some episodes/arcs that go pretty far on death and violence. I'm thinking of the Satine/Mandalore arc, some of the Savage/Maul stuff and that arc where that dickhead Jedi general was treating clones like disposable droids.

I didn’t watch the filler, I followed the guide. 

Besides the guide, the other way I’ve read to pare the series down is skip any episode that has jar-jar. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I didn’t watch the filler, I followed the guide. 

Besides the guide, the other way I’ve read to pare the series down is skip any episode that has jar-jar. 

I was late to the cartoons as well, I had some nerd friend tell me what episodes to watch. 

First two episodes are ok. It suffers from some of the same continuity and budget issues that affected Bobba Fett. Some of the actions sequences just look cheap and cheesy. Leia running through the forest. Leia running through the market. The rooftop shootout.

Also, on the rooftop shootout there were two bounty hunters shooting at Obi-Wan. We saw him shoot the non-human bounty hunter, but we never saw him shoot the droid. He shoots at the droid, but they cut away without showing the droid get hit. I guess we are just supposed to assume he hit the droid, because after he shoots the other non-human guy, there are no more shots and he can save Leia from falling. But it’s confusing to the audience not to see resolution on the other bad guy taking a hit.

• Hook 'Em 3

Caught a neato nerd detail on my rewatch of ep2. When Haja (Kumail Nanjiani) was sending that mom and her son on their way... He was sending them to Corellia because the kid was force sensitive. They didn't say the kids name during the episode, but in the credits his name was listed as "Corran".

Corran Horn was an EU pilot in Rogue Squadron who was from Corellia and eventually was trained as a Jedi in Luke's new Jedi academy. 

Filoni plz

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Caught a neato nerd detail on my rewatch of ep2. When Haja (Kumail Nanjiani) was sending that mom and her son on their way... He was sending them to Corellia because the kid was force sensitive. They didn't say the kids name during the episode, but in the credits his name was listed as "Corran".

Corran Horn was an EU pilot in Rogue Squadron who was from Corellia and eventually was trained as a Jedi in Luke's new Jedi academy. 

Filoni plz

holy shit GIF

And the mom's name is Nyche or whatever, which was Corran's mom.

Corran was in a lot of the EU X-wing novels, including I think the main character in I, Jedi.

Just looked, and people are now wondering if Rangers of the New Republic and the Rogue Squadron the movie, may be morphed into a series.

Edited by atomheartbevo

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Corran was in a lot of the EU X-wing novels, including I think the main character in I, Jedi.

Yeah Corran was a badass - I, Jedi was his Jedi training saga but he had been a main character in quite a few storylines prior to that book. IIRC, he was a key character during the Thrawn campaign too.

Idk man, they're definitely loading the deck for a starfighter/X-Wing show. Those X-Wing books are super fun schlock, I just about wore out my paperbacks as a kid

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah Corran was a badass - I, Jedi was his Jedi training saga but he had been a main character in quite a few storylines prior to that book. IIRC, he was a key character during the Thrawn campaign too.

Idk man, they're definitely loading the deck for a starfighter/X-Wing show. Those X-Wing books are super fun schlock, I just about wore out my paperbacks as a kid

Yeah, there's a lot of higher-level discussion about Kennedy's recent comments about where Star Wars is head (more serialized), and with Rangers being canceled, etc., and how TV shows on Disney+ are, in the long run, safer than films and can even provide more revenue to Disney than films (in that Disney doesn't have to share with theaters, and budgets are smaller and less risky.  Turn-around is quicker as well.

Could be just a nice shout-out to fans, but Corran is one of those things that if it was nothing, would just piss fans off more than make them go "I see what you did there Filoni!"

On 5/29/2022 at 7:54 PM, closetohumping said:

Definitely delivered.  But a couple of complaints (more than 2):

The goons they sent to kidnap Leia must run like 9.4 forties.  Slow as fuck.

This Obi wan is what 50?  There is a lot to bridge as the Obi wan that Guiness played had to be 75.  Not sure it lines up with Luke's age correctly.

Leia does not look 10 at all.

The meat processing company that Obi was working at should go out of business soon.  Probably a lot of contamination and temperature issues doing it out in the open like that.  Looked like some good toro.

species age differently/ IG-11 

1 hour ago, Sleep off ugly said:

I agree with the horde here that some of the casting and action scenes are weak sauce. But even though I wasn’t a fan of the prequels it’s cool as hell seeing Ewan as Obi-Wan, and Uncle Owen is well cast. I’m digging it despite it’s faults.

If they announced an Owen/Beru raising Luke on Tatooine series, with a bit of a young Cobb Vance thrown in (some kind of take on Gunsmoke), I would be down for that.

Actually I just want a Cobb Vance series.

8 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

well then.   things just got turned up a notch 

No kidding. Wow. I had no idea the third episode came out today. I was up sick and reading shit online until I could get back to sleep when I saw mention of an Episode 3 watch party.  Now I’m not sure I want to fall asleep. Parts of that were terrifying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy fucking fuck this episode goes hard. 

Spoiler

Quinlan Vos is confirmed to be alive and kicking, Vader is the scariest he's ever fucking been on screen, and a fucking lightsaber duel???

I also got a kick out of the "aw shucks" truck driver who just wants order so he works for the fascists. 

This show is fucking awesome. Each episode is like a movie

On 5/31/2022 at 8:51 AM, crash_davis said:

Agreed. I said this about the Mando series. After watching Clone Wars (especially the last final 2 episodes which together make THE BEST STAR WARS MOVIE ever) and Rebels, the Star Wars universe is better told in animation. That medium is better suited for action scenes especially with jumping, flying, fighting and awesome Jedi shit. In live action, we get Reva doing uncoordinated herp derp parkour on a roof top. I thought of Case McCoy's run against aggy. We've had much better parkour in Bourne and Bond movies, and those dudes aren't Jedi.

I realize most of you fockers wouldn't watch this series if it were in animation but I'm just thinking what better story and visuals these episodes would be in animation. Disney realizes that too so we get Reva McCoy doing shitty parkour as an allusion to the powers of the Jedi/Sith.

Reva casting is just shitty. They should've named her Karen cause that's the vibe I get from her.

Bratty Leia needs to die but she won't. 

Love the idea of the series. Knowing what it could have been, I'm giving it a 6/10 for the first 2 eps .

Vader at the end of Rogue One or Luke at the end of the Mandalorian are much more powerful live than say watching Anakin or the Bad Batch smash robots.  The problem with the live action isn't the action.  It comes from the influence of poor one-trick pony directors like Rodriguez who is more concerned with posing and looking a certain way rather than the movements.     

We don't need Michael Mann caliber directors to pull this off even, Bill Hader did a fantastic job with the latest episode of Barry.   

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Nivek said:

It comes from the influence of poor one-trick pony directors like Rodriguez who is more concerned with posing and looking a certain way rather than the movements.   

If Rodriguez had given us a Boba Fett out of his El Mariachi/Desperado/From Dusk till Dawn days, we'd have all been happy.

35 minutes ago, Nivek said:

We don't need Michael Mann caliber directors to pull this off even, Bill Hader did a fantastic job with the latest episode of Barry.   

No, and Deborah Chow, Rick Famuyiwa, and Bryce Dallas Howard are giving us some of the best Star Wars we've had in years, and hell, even Howard is more known for her acting than directing (well, used to be).

• Like 1

Much better…obviously

Vadar knows Kenobi is weaker but he still seems a bit wary of him. And irony is ironic… “You should have killed me when you had the chance”. Oh but I want you to suffer so I’m going to make the same mistake I just accused you of making.

I think we might see Leia discover some of her innate force ability in wriggling away from Reva.

Props to Disney for keeping Vader dark. That kid getting his neck snapped while trying to save his dad was brutal. I’m also digging the execution of Kenobi’sframe of mind. He was absolutely shaken at the end of episode 2 hearing about Anakin still being alive and then actually seeing him now scared the crap out of him. Kenobi will be ready if they fight each other again for this series which will be just fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 7

^ Reva seems to be conflicted about something... like she is half good/bad...  she seems like a flip candidate   ooooorrr, i could just be way the fuck off.

fuck me.. i just want to binge... 

Come on. Once the cast was announced with a female in that role, it was a given that she’s a bad guy that turns good and fights along side Obi Wan. We won’t see a female villain for the foreseeable future from Disney.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Come on. Once the cast was announced with a female in that role, it was a given that she’s a bad guy that turns good and fights along side Obi Wan. We won’t see a female villain for the foreseeable future from Disney.

She's no Aunty Entity, for sure.

54 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Props to Disney for keeping Vader dark. That kid getting his neck snapped while trying to save his dad was brutal. I’m also digging the execution of Kenobi’sframe of mind. He was absolutely shaken at the end of episode 2 hearing about Anakin still being alive and then actually seeing him now scared the crap out of him. Kenobi will be ready if they fight each other again for this series which will be just fantastic. 

Agree with the first part.  But I do not think he is scared of Vader, more like he is off guard, and horrified at what has become of his brother, friend, and mentee.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Given Disney’s recent record, I thought it was bold but unlikely that they’d cast an African American female as the main villain. 
Not really a spoiler as much as some fan rumor, but people are pondering if she was a plant by Saw Guerrera after being a force sensitive child (maybe padawan) and they are trying to find Kenobi (the man who maimed Vader) to take down Palpatine. 

That 3rd episode was fucking awesome.  McGregor is absolutely killing it in this role.  If this were a feature film he’d be on track for an Oscar-caliber performance.

If they’re trying to portray Reva as conflicted they’re more just making her look like a shitty actress.  I hate her character for all the wrong reasons.  But there are good (non storytelling) reasons why she might be a double agent or turn.

Spoiler

Minor quibble but it wasn’t very believable how Obi-Wan got away.  First of all, Vader would have never delegated his capture to Stormtroopers.  Secondly he could have just picked up Obi-Wan with the force and drug him thru to his side of the fire.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

That 3rd episode was fucking awesome.  McGregor is absolutely killing it in this role.

If they’re trying to portray Reva as conflicted they’re more just making her look like a shitty actress.  I hate her character for all the wrong reasons.  

Hide contents

Minor quibble but it wasn’t very believable how Obi-Wan got away.  First of all, Vader would have never delegated his capture to Stormtroopers.  Secondly he could have just picked up Obi-Wan with the force and drug him thru to his side of the fire.

He wants him to suffer. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Agree with the first part.  But I do not think he is scared of Vader, more like he is off guard, and horrified at what has become of his brother, friend, and mentee.    

I agree, maybe scared wasn’t the best way to describe what he was feeling. He didn’t want any part of that fight though. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 7:47 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Color me mildly underwhelmed so far, but I had high hopes.  Ewan McGregor has been awesome.  Reva so far appears horribly miscast and poorly written, and Leia has missed the mark as well.  And through 2 episodes it really doesn’t feel like much has happened.  Showing the transition of Jedi being ubiquitous in the PT to being all but forgotten 20 years later is difficult for this story to manage, but they’ve done ok on that with plot points like the fake Jedi.  Hopefully it picks up and they are able to weave in Anakin and Qui-Gonn in a meaningful believable way.

Bolded above are so far my biggest complaints, although as always I will keep watching.

I do also wonder how in this technological marvel of a universe how a Jedi Masters when realizing he is being hunted by people who have a picture/hologram of his face can only revert to pulling a hood over his head as a disguise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Given Disney’s recent record, I thought it was bold but unlikely that they’d cast an African American female as the main villain. 
Not really a spoiler as much as some fan rumor, but people are pondering if she was a plant by Saw Guerrera after being a force sensitive child (maybe padawan) and they are trying to find Kenobi (the man who maimed Vader) to take down Palpatine. 

This is where I am.  She's trying to get close to Vader or Palps to kill them.

Watched the most recent episode again and noticed some things:

Spoiler

How did Reva and Tala not cross paths in the tunnel, and how did Reva get ahead of Leia?  Also, the “dead” pilot that it it looks like Reva killed moves his eyes in the last frame; maybe he’s not dead.  Could be nothing, could be evidence Reva is a good guy. She flinched when Vader broke that kids neck.  She got sentimental when she saw the Republic emblem on the wall.  I am pretty sure it hasn’t actually shown her harm any good  guys on screen.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Hide contents

How did Reva and Tala not cross paths in the tunnel, and how did Reva get ahead of Leia?  Also, the “dead” pilot that it it looks like Reva killed moves his eyes in the last frame; maybe he’s not dead.  Could be nothing, could be evidence Reva is a good guy. She flinched when Vader broke that kids neck.  She got sentimental when she saw the Republic emblem on the wall.  I am pretty sure it hasn’t actually shown her harm any good  guys on screen.

She did lop off that lady's hand earlier, which is pretty widely considered a dick move.

Spoiler

I thought Tala went straight for Obi Wan rather than slow down Reva, but still not sure how she beat Leia

• Haha 1

Spoiler

She did cut that poor woman’s hand off…
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I throughly enjoyed Episode 3, but I have a question: 

Reveal hidden contents

Why didn’t Vader just kill Obi Wan? He had him dead to rights. 

Bc he’s torturing him 

I’m two episodes in and it’s good. That opening scene at the Jedi Academy is as good as any moment in the last six main movies.

Haven’t read the thread because I’m an episode behind, but Reva is interesting. I still don’t really understand her motivations (she has a boner for Vader?) but we haven’t really had a hood gangsta character like her before. She could have been a character in The Wire.

I’m impressed given that Filoni isn’t involved at all.