Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I thought he already left.

Quitting on the job imo.  
He actually came on and played decently toward the end of the year. I don't know if I've ever been more disappointed in a guy I thought was going to be a super star after a really great freshman year than I am with him.  After that Alamo Bowl I'd have sword he was going to be 3 and out at Texas and go no later than the 2nd round.  Crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, D3zii said:

It goes in cycles I remember at one point it was Colorado as DBU, then Texas came, then Florida now LSU.  Who knows who it’ll be next 

We've been DBU since at least the Jerry Gray days. Florida was never DBU, they briefly tried to make it stick but failed miserably. The early 2010s with Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, and Morris Claiborne were when it began to swing in the direction of red stick

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

It goes in cycles I remember at one point it was Colorado as DBU, then Texas came, then Florida now LSU.  Who knows who it’ll be next 

Texas has been DBU for decades. We just need some dominant players to remind people. It’s been a while. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Quitting on the job imo.  
He actually came on and played decently toward the end of the year. I don't know if I've ever been more disappointed in a guy I thought was going to be a super star after a really great freshman year than I am with him.  After that Alamo Bowl I'd have sword he was going to be 3 and out at Texas and go no later than the 2nd round.  Crazy. 

Collins will be fine.  Heck, experts on this board were saying he was gonna processed and Cobourn was going to just be a name on a roster this year....Seriously, the 2021 season was a horrible season to evaluate anyone based off the fact that they basically didn't get any coaching whatsoever and it showed.  Cobourn was back to dominant this year and Collins came on amazingly well the last 6 games.  Geez this forum likes to hyperventilate.....Is Tillman still splashing the NIL pot to take all our good cruits or just the one who was a candidate to be processed anyway?

• Hook 'Em 5

34 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought was going to be a super star after a really great freshman year than I am with him. 

Really great freshman year? 🤨

He played well, and made one phenomenal interception, against a bad Colorado team his freshman season. That's it.

Collins was always going to take time.

Broughton, even longer.

Edited by pacman
  • Hook 'Em 2

UT was DBU from 2001 - 2010. We had 9 DBs drafted (thought it would be more) with 5 of them going in the first round, along with two Thorpe award winners. Over that same period LSU had 8 DBs drafted, but only one in the first round, and no Thorpe award winners.

From 2011 -2020 they were unquestionably DBU. They had 16 DBs drafted with five going in the first round and three Thorpe award winners (which is the most of any school). We had 9 DBs drafted (thought it would be fewer) with Kenny Vaccarro being our only first round pick. Obviously didn't have any Thorpe award winners over that period of time.

Over the last two years they've had 4 DBs drafted, one in the first round, to our one Caden Sterns who went in the 5th round. 

Slice it up however you want. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Quitting on the job imo.  

will ferrell sword GIF

sword to god, he might be a late bloomer and go second round with Bo Davis help. The tools are there. 

1 hour ago, TexasRenegade said:

Collins will be fine.  Heck, experts on this board were saying he was gonna processed and Cobourn was going to just be a name on a roster this year....Seriously, the 2021 season was a horrible season to evaluate anyone based off the fact that they basically didn't get any coaching whatsoever and it showed.  Cobourn was back to dominant this year and Collins came on amazingly well the last 6 games.  Geez this forum likes to hyperventilate.....Is Tillman still splashing the NIL pot to take all our good cruits or just the one who was a candidate to be processed anyway?

What the fuck. So, the exact same coaching staff decided to actually coach in 2022.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Dude, you have been absolutely crushing the rebuking of posters in this forum for having contemporaneous opinions germane to the program that sometimes don't pan out. We should all sit on our hands like you and swing back by in 365-730 days when some of the board's thoughts were proven incorrect and form a chorus of fates against its wrongheadedness. I remember you boldly showing up after the 2021 season when Coburn said he was staying to tell us that he'd have a standout '22 season. 

Beyond that, no one said Collins was going to get processed. There was discussion around him not liking his role and PT and going elsewhere. 

As well, UH coordinated three OVs in the same weekend with UT recruits. Two of those recruits took it very seriously and one of them had to be aggressively shored up. That's, you know, how fucking recruiting works. Roster management is never a snapshot but a moving picture. Get over yourself.

We've been DBU since at least the Jerry Gray days. Florida was never DBU, they briefly tried to make it stick but failed miserably. The early 2010s with Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, and Morris Claiborne were when it began to swing in the direction of red stick

Mr. Gray says Bo don’t know sh$t.

Ps. Look at that clean uni. Would kill for this to come back.

bf0aed366c8103dc0da2b4dfcab26b8f.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

UT was DBU from 2001 - 2010. We had 9 DBs drafted (thought it would be more) with 5 of them going in the first round, along with two Thorpe award winners. Over that same period LSU had 8 DBs drafted, but only one in the first round, and no Thorpe award winners.

From 2011 -2020 they were unquestionably DBU. They had 16 DBs drafted with five going in the first round and three Thorpe award winners (which is the most of any school). We had 9 DBs drafted (thought it would be fewer) with Kenny Vaccarro being our only first round pick. Obviously didn't have any Thorpe award winners over that period of time.

Over the last two years they've had 4 DBs drafted, one in the first round, to our one Caden Sterns who went in the 5th round. 

Slice it up however you want. 

Not for nothing, Ohio State had 8 DBs go in the 1st round from '11-20 and another 8 drafted in other rounds. So their showing in the draft outpaces LSU's

Sorry for continuing this diversion

Edited by TommyGufano

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, you have been absolutely crushing the rebuking of posters in this forum for having contemporaneous opinions germane to the program that sometimes don't pan out. We should all sit on our hands like you and swing back by in 365-730 days when some of the board's thoughts were proven incorrect and form a chorus of fates against its wrongheadedness. I remember you boldly showing up after the 2021 season when Coburn said he was staying to tell us that he'd have a standout '22 season. 

Beyond that, no one said Collins was going to get processed. There was discussion around him not liking his role and PT and going elsewhere. 

As well, UH coordinated three OVs in the same weekend with UT recruits. Two of those recruits took it very seriously and one of them had to be aggressively shored up. That's, you know, how fucking recruiting works. Roster management is never a snapshot but a moving picture. Get over yourself.

So sorry I seem to have offended you.  I will try to step carefully in the future and try not to hurt your feelings.

I wasn't calling out anybody other than the Forum in general for our gargantuan freak outs about players.  Plenty of people have called Collins a bust.  I didn't prognosticate success for either of them but nor did I freak out from one bad season with very little coaching and no spring workouts while implementing an entirely new staff and system.

I was correct on Sunday niggt btw when I tried to tell yall he wasn't flipping to UH. But I guess others aren't allowed to hear things.   UH boosters were saying it was dead when he got home without flipping and they thought the 6 figure NIL rumors for a receiver were hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

Not for nothing, Ohio State had 8 DBs go in the 1st round from '11-20 and another 8 drafted in other rounds. So their showing in the draft outpaces LSU's

Sorry for continuing this diversion

They've been so dominant at WR recruiting and development it's even overshadowed that.

Which is kind of funny for a team in the fatball conference that has to play games in weather where you can't even pass (although Day trying to force it through sheer will vs Northwestern was hilarious).

• Like 1