Ok Tom, We'll Talk about Kansas Game, Oct 19th 6pm cst LHN

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Was it Ash or Fickel who was the real DC ?   Ash was there for 14-15 but Fickel was co DC from 05-16

i think he would take the job, he was making 2.2M at Rutgers so he would get paid most of that.  He would likely be an improvement but I don't think he's the answer. 

at this point you would be an improvement. 

56 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I count 7 players out on defense and at least 2 playing hurt.
Cummins, McCulloch, Floyd, Tillman, Green, Thompson, and Brown out. Overshown hurt. Foster is playing hurt.

Along the D line we are in decent shape.
DL class breakdown looks like this: 4/3/1/6

LB is worse. Our only upperclassman LB is out, and of his 2 freshmen backups one is also out. We are also out a freshman MLB.
LB class breakdown looks like this: 1/0/4/6

DBs were a problem area going into the year. We have one senior and 4 juniors in the secondary, and one of them (Brown) is out.
Green and Thompson are also out, and Foster and Overshown are hurt. 
DB class breakdown looks like this: 1/4/8/4

The fact is we are very young (and that is no one on this staff's fault) and we had little margin for injuries, and we've had more than our share.

That doesn't excuse our atrocious play. Much of our problem starts with lack of pressure and blitzing too often, and too ineffectively.
Our LB corps is young and thin, so when runners get to the second level, or routes go shallow middle, our LBs get exposed.
And our secondary is just getting exposed. They have the physical tools, but they're not playing well - especially open field tackling. That's coaching, I believe.

I *might* buy this against teams not named Kansas. At home.

47 minutes ago, jinx said:

Tom may get his wish to talk about Kansas this week.  What an absolute shit show.  I completely agree with Michael Griffins take on the game.  Pathetic Defense, I don't give a damn how many players are out.  

And on the injured players note, how many are injured because they have no fucking clue how to tackle.  I know Brandon Jones tackle form had him in the locker room.  

Said the exact same thing about 100 posts ago. The way we go about tackling is unreal. And our DB's NEVER NEVER NEVER look back for the fucking ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lhorn said:

If we show up with this D- defense and get anyone's better than average game, we're gonna be in a dog fight every week.  

I'll save you the "if"  we are going to be in a dogfight every game.  Baylor is likely a loss,  ISU will probably beat us, they are due.  Until Herman decides to fire orlando and get a real DC and a real DB coach we are proper fucked.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I *might* buy this against teams not named Kansas. At home.

Said the exact same thing about 100 posts ago. The way we go about tackling is unreal. And our DB's NEVER NEVER NEVER look back for the fucking ball.

Oh my goodness, we havent had DBs look back for the ball since Akina left. Who the fuck can defend a pass with their back to the football? It is basic high school level shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

So one would eat ass, and get charged for it...?

I'm actually laughing out loud.  "For this series Texas has opted to go with the famous 'eat my ass pay me football' scheme on defense."

If Orlando taught the defense to bend over and spread their ass cheeks when the ball was snapped, we wouldn't miss any less tackles than we are now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Oh my goodness, we havent had DBs look back for the ball since Akina left. Who the fuck can defend a pass with their back to the football? It is basic high school level shit.

Fucking this!  I see this every fucking game over and over again.  If a play is made at all it is after the catch.  There is no anticipation or preparation to defend the pass in the air.

33 minutes ago, lulz said:

What did you guys think of putting RoJo in the wildcat? I liked it a lot - it provides another blocker for the run without exposing Sam, and we could have a jump-pass counter play out of that formation.

I hated the Jake Smith wrinkle in that situation, but I like the concept for goal line/short yardage situations.

11 hours ago, Vertigo said:

yeah you seem real educated on the subject.  they are coached to not turn around.  sorry, chief.

2 hours ago, lulz said:

What did you guys think of putting RoJo in the wildcat? I liked it a lot - it provides another blocker for the run without exposing Sam, and we could have a jump-pass counter play out of that formation.

I think it was a stupid ass wrinkle to put in a game against Kansas. Would have been nice to see last week.