Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

I could definitely see a Kerstetter-Angilau-Majors-Hookfin-Jones line and thats decent enough. A grad transfer center would be great to give Majors another year. I still have hopes for Tyler Johnson as well, who knows what could happen with a half way decent OL coach

I think Karic would have a really good shot of beating out Jones over the summer or early in the season, and Angilau could be salvaged by a good OL coach. Plus if you add in even just one transfer who starts, then our OL starts to look a lot better. It certainly wouldn’t be dominant, but it could plenty good enough to win 10+. 

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I refuse to believe we have no one on the roster who can give us approximately what Kerstetter is giving us at center. Moving him back to RT almost has to be a net positive. 

We really don’t. ghirmai is horrible and Majors is a TR FR who’s not ready physically. That’s it. Now, had the staff realized Ghirmai sucked a year ago a, which was completely obvious, maybe they could’ve started cross-training someone else and they’d have a better Plan B right now, but Herman gonna Herman. 

24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Jesus this is moronic.  After Tressel and the quick pivot to Fickell, Urban set them on a path to success like few other programs.  MNC, multiple conference championships and 10+ win seasons YOY.  This board would shit itself to have Urbans worst season at tOSU.  

It really is. Day hasn’t done anything besides keep the train rolling. The only reason they’re set up for success is because of Meyer, and he’s somehow trying to flip that in it’s head with some extremely twisted logic. Who knows if Day can sustain a program. Guys like David Shaw and Lincoln Riley we’re handed elite programs. They looked good right away, but Shaw has shown he’s not good enough to keep winning in his own and Riley is starting to show some serious cracks in his armor now that the program is fully his players and coaches. 

21 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Wow. You sure know how to polish a turd, I'll give you that. 

This same argument is going on all over the Football board. People see bad play and think we don’t have talent, but not enough importance is being given to just how bad the coaching is right now. Every single one of our OL has bad technique. The biggest issues with our OL are way too widespread to be individual personnel issues. If we get a real HC and a good OL coach in here, this OL would look drastically different. We have a lot of guys who can get good movement in the power/gap run game but we never let them.
Bad coaching and not playing to our personnel’s strengths aren’t even giving our OL a chance. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This same argument is going on all over the Football board. People see bad play and think we don’t have talent, but not enough importance is being given to just how bad the coaching is right now. Every single one of our OL has bad technique. The biggest issues with our OL are way too widespread to be individual personnel issues. If we get a real HC and a good OL coach in here, this OL would look drastically different. We have a lot of guys who can get good movement in the power/gap run game but we never let them.
Bad coaching and not playing to our personnel’s strengths aren’t even giving our OL a chance. 

You have a more positive outlook on the in-house OL talent than I do, but you are correct about coaching. I think that's even more reason to move on from Herman. You're going to have to replace Hand, he's not getting it done (coaching and recruiting), so you want to let Herman go ahead and hire another coach at this position that needs an overhauling? Firing and hiring a guy at the position for the second time in three/four years? No thx.

Come home, Urban. 

Edited by UncleBuck

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

People see bad play and think we don’t have talent, but not enough importance is being given to just how bad the coaching is right now. 

In 1997 we had an awful defense that gave up lots of points. That defense had Casey Hampton, Shaun Rogers, Quentin Jammer, Cedric Woodard, etc. The next season, with a good coaching staff, the defense was good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think Karic would have a really good shot of beating out Jones over the summer or early in the season, and Angilau could be salvaged by a good OL coach. Plus if you add in even just one transfer who starts, then our OL starts to look a lot better. It certainly wouldn’t be dominant, but it could plenty good enough to win 10+. 

We really don’t. ghirmai is horrible and Majors is a TR FR who’s not ready physically. That’s it. Now, had the staff realized Ghirmai sucked a year ago a, which was completely obvious, maybe they could’ve started cross-training someone else and they’d have a better Plan B right now, but Herman gonna Herman. 

It really is. Day hasn’t done anything besides keep the train rolling. The only reason they’re set up for success is because of Meyer, and he’s somehow trying to flip that in it’s head with some extremely twisted logic. Who knows if Day can sustain a program. Guys like David Shaw and Lincoln Riley we’re handed elite programs. They looked good right away, but Shaw has shown he’s not good enough to keep winning in his own and Riley is starting to show some serious cracks in his armor now that the program is fully his players and coaches. 

Tyler Johnson seemed like a logical person, or hell even Okafor/Imade (who both suck but have experience) would at least be able to keep Kerstetter at RT

Just now, RGBIII said:

Tyler Johnson seemed like a logical person, or hell even Okafor/Imade (who both suck but have experience) would at least be able to keep Kerstetter at RT

Tyler Johnson should make some noise under good coaching. I don't know to what extent covid might have hamstrung his strength and physical development. I was a bit shocked to see Okafor in the starting line up this season. He has two left feet and discombobulates against defenders with mobility.

Ghirmai has manboobs. Who recruits manboobs?

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Of all Herman’s failings, his inability to evaluate his personnel might be the biggest

I'd disagree and say that player development has been the problem.  Wisconsin turns 3 stars into draft picks.  Herman has been turning 4 stars into undrafted guys.

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

I'd disagree and say that player development has been the problem.  Wisconsin turns 3 stars into draft picks.  Herman has been turning 4 stars into undrafted guys.

They are related.  You have a guy like Roach playing MLB in the previous idiots defense and Herman let that happen.  Roach’s natural position was eventually forced on the staff when they finally realized what everybody else knew as a no shit given.  Now he’s playing his obvious natural position for the Saints.   Same shit with Ossai until Ash showed up.

that punter has sucked for years and we brought in zero point zero options.  Punters are free.  There are guys in their dorm rooms right now who can do it. 

he just has blind spots and rigid thinking when it comes to personnel.  Or not enough leadership skills to enforce sensical personnel decisions on his staff.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

You have a more positive outlook on the in-house OL talent than I do, but you are correct about coaching. I think that's even more reason to move on from Herman. You're going to have to replace Hand, he's not getting it done (coaching and recruiting), so you want to let Herman go ahead and hire another coach at this position that needs an overhauling? Firing and hiring a guy at the position for the second time in three/four years? No thx.

Come home, Urban. 

Well yeah, I don’t think anyone’s questioning that Herman has to go. 

And to be clear, I don’t think we’re in a good spot with the OL, but assuming Kerstetter comes back,  I’d say 1 transfer starter and a good OL coach could pretty easily get next year’s OL to about average where it’s not not a team strength, but it’s also not killing us. If we can get there, then I think we have enough other talent on offense and defense to still win double digit games. 

35 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

In 1997 we had an awful defense that gave up lots of points. That defense had Casey Hampton, Shaun Rogers, Quentin Jammer, Cedric Woodard, etc. The next season, with a good coaching staff, the defense was good. 

33 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

In 2013, we went from the BYU disaster with Manny Diaz to beating OU with Greg Robinson.

Yep. People are really underestimating how much bad coaching can obscure talent, and this is some of the worst coaching I’ve ever seen. We’re fundamentally unsound in very phase of the game. 

19 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I don’t think we disagree much. Lack of ability to evaluate strengths and weaknesses and lack of development go hand in hand. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Early Oct...

"Anwar tweeted out that Tyler Johnson hasn't practiced in a while due to non-COVID related health issue.  Says he was cleared for 50% weight room workload this week".   

(Thx for this info...  @Elmer_Fudd   )

Humidor: We have confirmed Anwar Richardson’s report that Tyler Johnson is out with a mystery illness. We wish him the best. That shouldn’t affect this season too much. To our knowledge there is nobody in quarantine. 

(Thx whoever posted this particular Humidor info Oct 2nd)

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I care less about draft picks and more about winning meaningful games. Which Wisconsin doesn't do, either.

it doesnt matter who starts at ol

j jackson is an elite athlete who can make ish happen at qb with his feet he will actually be a threat in the zone read situations unlike sam 

he has already shown flashes in practice & the players respect him he will be starting qb for year 1 ubran

here is a refresher 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

You're awfully engaged in threads about what he does next for someone who doesn't care.

So wait, is your point that you don't think he'll come, or that you think ohio state is better off without him? I can't follow the point you're trying to make.

You know who else thought Meyer was done for good? Florida fans, after he stepped down there for the sake of his health. Funny how that all worked out.

He’s disappeared from the fire Tom Herman thread though.  

28 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

j jackson is an elite athlete who can make ish happen at qb with his feet he will actually be a threat in the zone read situations unlike sam 

he has already shown flashes in practice & the players respect him he will be starting qb for year 1 ubran

here is a refresher 

Supposedly Card is a stud but no one has the ceiling Jaquinden does...I trust Urban Meyer to maximize that talent

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

here is a refresher 

Can he start this weekend? 

If its UM or bust, what is bust? Who are the parade of "also receiving votes" coaches that would would preside over their own little chapter of the "Lost Longhorns" story if UM gets a headache or has palpitations? I can't even begin to make a list. I don't care for UM but I don't see a plan B. 

8 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

If its UM or bust, what is bust? Who are the parade of "also receiving votes" coaches that would would preside over their own little chapter of the "Lost Longhorns" story if UM gets a headache or has palpitations? I can't even begin to make a list. I don't care for UM but I don't see a plan B. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11099483

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

This isn't Charlie Strong or Tom Herman bringing along a bunch of shitty assistants like Watson, Bedford, Orlando, and Beck. 

Urban will leave behind a more than capable assistant like Ryan Day after he knocks out a few National Championships. 

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This isn't Charlie Strong or Tom Herman bringing along a bunch of shitty assistants like Watson, Bedford, Orlando, and Beck. 

Urban will leave behind a more than capable assistant like Ryan Day after he knocks out a few National Championships. 

So true. Urban would never be dumb enough to hire Tim Beck as his OC. I mean, can you even imagine such a ridiculous scenario?! It truly bottles the mind. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Try not to let your emotions confuse you. I don't care what Urban does next. You do. I don't know what the future holds but there's a legitimate argument to be made that the Ohio State football program is better off right now than it was in Urban's last year running things. This isn't like the jilted lover syndrome of Texas fans who watched Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M flee the Big XII for greener pastures. I'm just sharing my observations after following Urban's career since he was at Bowling Green. I'm pretty sure the Buckeyes will be okay regardless of what he does next. 

Sorry I'm not telling you what you want to hear. 

I am pretty happy that aggy joined the nascar circuit.  The only one of those schools that I miss is Nebraska.  Because we crushed the soul of the fan base.

13 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Casey Hampton & Chris Akins we’re both lost for the season in the 97 Rice game, the week after Rout 66.

43 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I like how Herman came to Texas talking about how he needed to build a dominant OL that would enable us to impose our will on opponents and then proceeded to hire the 2 worst OL coaches we've had since Tim Nunez.

I'm at a loss to understand why we can't get this hire right.. Who was the last good OL coach we had? It can't be that difficult... Am I crazy? I would think we could just go get the Wisconsin OL coach each year we need one. They seem to always have a bruising line. Or whoever is recruiting OL at Alabama. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, TexasBeta said:

I'm at a loss to understand why we can't get this hire right.. Who was the last good OL coach we had? It can't be that difficult... Am I crazy? I would think we could just go get the Wisconsin OL coach each year we need one. They seem to always have a bruising line. Or whoever is recruiting OL at Alabama. 

Inept head coaches. 

59 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Inept head coaches. 

Just a quick glance - in the 2000's to now

Mac McWhorter or Stacy Searels - both Mack Brown... that's it.. Two in 20 years who produced draft ready offensive lineman. That's embarrassing. I'm sure there are more out there who did a fine job.. but.. really.. two?

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure if it's TEXAS, but this guy wants to coach again...

Urban Meyer Had Never Seen This Scenario in 35 Years of Coaching | Big Ten Football | Urban Analysis

Penn State end of 4th qtr vs Indiana

Tom Herman has never made a mistake, according to Tom Herman.

• Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic