Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

He could be asking Fox for an offer - hence why Joel Klatt was quiet yesterday on the herd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he is asking Fox for an offer he doesn't want to coach football at Texas.

12 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I was comparing Herman losses to MD. I could easily throw in TCU, tech, you name the shitty school. Yes, Campbell is very similar to Herman in that regard. He drops games to far inferior opponents and upsets occasionally better ones. 

I totally get the comparisons between Herman and Campbell, but at this point Herman loses to good, bad, and average team. At least Campbell beats the middling teams (like us fml). Campbell is a better coach than Herman but I would be disappointed with his hire. 

4 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Show me acoach who has not lost a few games where he is a favorite. I'll wait. Never judge a coach by a game or two but his track record in program building. Have we learned nothing from Herman?

Iowa State's run in the past few years is so anomalous given their sordid pathetic history, that you almost have to wonder if they are cheating their asses off. It is literally one of the worst jobs in P5. Yet their program is at a stage where they are in championship conversation every year now.

We all know what the xfactor is behind this upswing. It's their fucking coach.

All thise saying how Campbell is Herman 2.0 need to read up on how he has built the ISU program in the last few years.

This, he should easily be the next guy we call (if necessary) unless Sean Payton is bored or something.

Edited by Bevo14

3 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Show me acoach who has not lost a few games where he is a favorite. I'll wait. Never judge a coach by a game or two but his track record in program building. Have we learned nothing from Herman?

Iowa State's run in the past few years is so anomalous given their sordid pathetic history, that you almost have to wonder if they are cheating their asses off. It is literally one of the worst jobs in P5. Yet their program is at a stage where they are in championship conversation every year now.

All thise saying how Campbell is Herman 2.0 need to read up on how he has built the ISU program in the last few years.

Exactly.

After Herman and Strong everyone's looking for a P5 coach who has shown consistent success for more than a couple of years without being a coach resting on one player's laurels (Strong/Bridgewater) or being an unprepared gimmicky idiot (Herman). There's only one coach in college football available to Texas that fits that bill and it's sure as fuck not Mario Cristobal or Steve Sarkisian. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

My issue with Cristobal is if we thought Herman was a stubborn, childish, meathead and that ultimately caused him to fail at Texas holy fuck man. Cristobal is a meatier, more stubborn version of a coach than Herman. It doesn’t mean he also a stumbling fool who would rather line up Brewer out wide than Jake Smith or immediately rub his vagina and turtle if up by 3 points with 8 minutes left but from a coaching and personal style standpoint, imagine Herman on steroids. 

There’s nothing wrong w Herman’s personality if he won.  Winning cures just about everything - definitely a shitty personality.  

34 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Hoody's is great, and Hoody himself is a very nice guy.

I love their cheesesteaks, but their meatball subs and their Italian sausage subs are also fantastic.

We know you like the sausage. 😉

Edited by Chili dog

3 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

There's a difference between making a bottom dweller relevant enough to maybe win 10 games or play for a conference title once or twice a decade and taking a blueblood and flipping on the afterburners to where you can begin looking the top 3 programs in the country in the eye.

Yes - ISU now compared to where ISU was is a huge leap. Where ISU is now compared to where even a program like OU is now is another huge leap. 

You can be a really good Volkswagen mechanic - that doesn't mean you're going to know what the fuck to do when someone brings in a Ferrari. 

51 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

JMO, although Urban can't stand Herman, I don't think he wants a co-term, ie he's the coach in waiting, they allow Herm to coach against Kansas.  He doesn't want to answer questions about that.

huh?  I'm saying fire Herman after KSU as that was the original end of the season.  then they have Ash be the interim.  we waste a week of recruiting if we wait until Kansas.

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s nothing wrong w Herman’s personality if he won.  Winning cures just about everything - definitely a shitty personality.  

Can you think of a single great football coach at any level that would do the backpack thing to Drew Lock that Herman did? I can't.

Try to get a mental image of Dabo, Urban, Saban, Bellicheck, Payton, Tomlin, Carroll, etc. doing that and you'll realize what a caricature Tom Herman is.

• Like 2

I don’t buy the whole ploy for fox to give him a raise. They would’ve offered him one when he was first talking to Texas earlier this year or at the beginning of this week.

I mean I get that he would at least want a raise from fox if he chose to stay but that would’ve already happened already.

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

Thamel

Texas AD Chris Del Conte’s play here appears to be shopping for Herman’s replacement and attempting to arrange something before having to make a public decision on Herman. This is a common tactic, but rarely do these shadow searches unfold under such scrutiny. The question will be if Texas strikes out — and Del Conte will aim Dabo-level high if Meyer passes as expected — how will everybody sputter forward and force smiles for Herman returning for a plank-walk season in 2021?

As expected???? What the fuckkkk

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Can you think of a single great football coach at any level that would do the backpack thing to Drew Lock that Herman did? I can't.

Try to get a mental image of Dabo, Urban, Saban, Bellicheck, Payton, Tomlin, Carroll, etc. doing that and you'll realize what a caricature Tom Herman is.

How about the double bird on national TV

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I totally get the comparisons between Herman and Campbell, but at this point Herman loses to good, bad, and average team. At least Campbell beats the middling teams (like us fml). Campbell is a better coach than Herman but I would be disappointed with his hire. 

That's why he is Herman 2.0 he is the upgraded version of Herman but it's still Herman. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

You can be a really good Volkswagen mechanic - that doesn't mean you're going to know what the fuck to do when someone brings in a Ferrari. 

Sure, but a smart Volkswagen mechanic who knows how to lean on experienced people and is quick on the uptake will turn into a good Ferrari mechanic in a few years.

The rest of the jokers available out there are drooling on themselves trying to figure out how to put together a lego car. Give me the smart Volkswagen guy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

There's a difference between making a bottom dweller relevant enough to maybe win 10 games or play for a conference title once or twice a decade and taking a blueblood and flipping on the afterburners to where you can begin looking the top 3 programs in the country in the eye.
Yes - ISU now compared to where ISU was is a huge leap. Where ISU is now compared to where even a program like OU is now is another huge leap. 
So what makes you think Cristobal orany of the others know anything about ferraris.

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I agree. I just wonder to what extent did those personality traits contribute to him bringing in Mehringer and Warhime and not taking Maryland seriously. Cristobal in an interview is going to sound and act a lot like Herman, “More Culture and toughness!!!’

Just now, SuperSurly said:

Anybody talking to Matt Rhule?

please for God's sake people...STOP BRINGING UP MATT RUHLE

let me go over this for seemingly the tenth time in this thread

• has a 7 year, $60 million deal with $50+ guaranteed
  • hasn't even finished his first year as a NFL coach, leaving would ensure he never gets another job there
  • took a ton of his coaching tree and friends with him to Carolina
  • Carolina paid a large buyout to Baylor

He isn't happening.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

That's why he is Herman 2.0 he is the upgraded version of Herman but it's still Herman. 

Another similarity to tack on--his teams start slow early in the season. I think a big part of the reason we're so mad at Herman is that three of our seasons were dead by October. CFB is a lot more fun when your title hopes are still alive late in the year. We've only had one opportunity to really enjoy the hype of a winning team: the two weeks after OU in 2018 which were immediately destroyed with the 21-0 first quarter debacle in Stillwater. Fuckin Tom

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

• hasn't even finished his first year as a NFL coach, leaving would ensure he never gets another job there

He isn't happening.

How are the Carolina beaches?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

He isn't happening.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Alright I hung in here through Hamburgers, Fisting, Flight Aware, Curtain-gate and shit hole Texas towns, but with this latest Joe Rogan bull shit...

Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

My friend, when we look back on this thread the talk about Rogan and McRibs will be seen as the “highlights” of this thread. Buckle up because this Palace of Degenerates will take this thread to new lows never seen before on Shaggy/Surly before it’s all said and done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Exactly.

After Herman and Strong everyone's looking for a P5 coach who has shown consistent success for more than a couple of years without being a coach resting on one player's laurels (Strong/Bridgewater) or being an unprepared gimmicky idiot (Herman). There's only one coach in college football available to Texas that fits that bill and it's sure as fuck not Mario Cristobal or Steve Sarkisian. 

It's not sexy but I would put forth Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern as a Plan B.  46 years old.  14 years as head coach in the Big Ten with a 62-60 conference record at a program with huge disadvantages.  Doesn't make a ton of money.  He's no Urban Meyer or Dabo but he is no flash in the pan Strong or Herman either.

If you want a good coach, won consistently over a long time, that would be available on our timeline there are not a lot of choices.

Oh no doubt it would be a huge emotional letdown from an Urban type hire.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic