Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, B00M said:

At this point there are only a few people that actually know the truth. CDC, UM, and the 1+ people that are responsible for Herman's buyout. That's it. Any news trickling down to mid/low level "insiders" like RCV and the 9.95ers is simply what CDC wants leaked. Any endorsement from CDC for TH would simply be for NSD1 and added cover for UM. This is all strange and new to us, but we're witnessing a professional AD in his finest hours. 

Or we are witnessing someone in over their heads that’s never proven that they can run a massive and important program and is only good at money whipping coaches from non revenue sports that don’t matter. 
I’m not saying that what I just typed is true, just that it is as likely to be true as what you said. We don’t have any data point either way with CDC. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Yes. 

IF CDC has had any plans of possibly bringing back Herman since around the OU game, he's done the program a disservice by letting Tom twist in the wind without publicly displaying his support of the head coach.

Yep this all day. If Herman does indeed return then CDC should be kicked right to curb and Herman can help pack up his shit and show him the door. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Expect a CDC vote of confidence today or this weekend. I expect the wording will be carefully crafted. I also expect everyone on this thread to melt all the fucking way down. 

"Tom is currently our head coach. We discussed things over some kolaches this morning." A melt down indeed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Expect a CDC vote of confidence today or this weekend. I expect the wording will be carefully crafted. I also expect everyone on this thread to melt all the fucking way down. 

Well if we are going to melt down, might as well do it right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As a smoke screen you think? Or as- yep - we took our shot, it didn’t work- and nobody else out there is worth paying Herman the buyout? 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yes. 

IF CDC has had any plans of possibly bringing back Herman since around the OU game, he's done the program a disservice by letting Tom twist in the wind without publicly displaying his support of the head coach.

Correct. And in my mind the two things are separate. You can dismiss the lack of public displays of support up until, say, the beginning of this week, as CDC strategy for taking a swing at Urban and laying the groundwork to reel him in and transition coaches. But if we're to believe Urban has truly become "no" and CDC has switched courses to bringing back Herman sometime in the last few days, that switch would logically involve publicly supporting him now.

The verifiable fact is that CDC has stayed the court of no public support despite the change in circumstances being reported. It doesn't line up. 

Edit: See CTJ is suggesting the above might change near-term. If that happens, the above obviously goes out the window. But until then, fishy. 

Edited by derpyhorndog

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

wait, didn't you just rag on RVC for posting basically the same thing at 2 am?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

star park GIF

Hell im ready to melt with just you alone saying it, let alone something public

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Smoke. They’re onto someone else worth the buyout, apparently. 

Tom Herman will not be coaching Texas in 2021. Whatever is released will be bullshit. He might not get fired until after the national title game, but he’s gone. See the difference between “I have bad news, he’s staying “ at 2am bit versus what I’m saying? 

Michael Scott GIF by Giphy QA

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Burton

continue to be told that Texas is working behind the scenes on a number of possible coaching scenarios, some of which are further along than others. Frankly put, some of those feelers and subsequent conversations have been more well received than others.

However, I expect no major, external movement of any sort until after the various conference championship games. Instead, I expect the normal behind-the-scenes machinations that come with situations like this, and that includes ongoing vetting of potential coaches and assuaging the concern and fears of the existing staff. Please note that just about every major coach Texas would pursue is playing in a conference championship game or in the middle of their NFL season.

In other words, if you woke up this morning hoping for a major revelation from me on the coaching front, I’m sorry to disappoint. I’d say patience is the operative word.

I got the low down on all of the Texas freshman yesterday and how they have been perceived internally.

We’ll go quickly position-by-position.

At QB, Hudson Card came out of the gate strong. He understood the offense, whereas Ja’Quinden Jacksonstruggled in his first couple of weeks on campus with the nuances of the position.

Card throws crisp passes and makes quick decisions. He is considered the best thrower on the roster, and that includes Sam Ehlinger.

Jackson, on the other hand, has really come on of late. He is starting to look like a real long-term option at QB because he has been a relatively quick study and because he is so talented. Props were given to both Jackson for his effort and attention to detail and QB coach Mike Yurcich for Jackson’s development and consistent approach even when Jackson clearly would not play much this season.

Suffice to say, the existing Texas staff is extremely excited with the freshman QBs.

At running back, Bijan Robinson is the most explosive back on the team and perhaps in the conference. He is also a team-leader type, and that could be very valuable in the long run. When a team’s best players are actually the best teammates, good things tend to happen.

The wide receivers in the 2020 class are a bit of a mixed bag. Troy Omeire literally wowed the coaches in fall camp. As outside receivers for Texas have struggled to get off press coverage this season, Omeire is considered the answer. Coaches don’t expect him to merely be good, they think he is a different breed. Words truly can not express how dominant the coaches think Omeire can be. Sometimes players walk onto the field and they’re just different. That’s Omeire.

Kelvontay Dixon has shown some ability and is still considered a good take for the Horns. Dajon Harrison is a different situation. His decision, following an injury, to opt out really kind of took the coaching staff by surprise and disappointed them. It’s an unnecessary lost year of development for him.

Along the OL, Herb Hand struck gold at center. Jake Majors is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of player. The staff expects Majors to be an eventual team captain and multi-year starter. Likewise, Andrej Karic has already pushed up the depth chart to become a factor. The question is not whether Karic will be a contributor or starter for the Horns over the long term, it’s at what position. Will he be good enough to play left tackle, or is he tailor-made for a right tackle spot?

Unfortunately, just like a prospector sometimes hits gold, he sometimes gets less than rosy results. It’s way too early to write off Logan Parr by any means, but early results are the expectation of that of a late-career starter or solid back-up. And perhaps the worst news is that Jaylon Garth may very well end up being a medical opt out in time. His initial injury was severe and it just isn’t coming around as much as all had hoped. Again, it’s way too early to write offensive linemen off because of the development time they take, but that’s where those two sit currently.

On the defensive front, Alfred Collins has already played in every game and is a known commodity. One coach called him the best young DL talent he’s ever been around. Vernon Broughton is expected to be a terrific interior pass rusher in the long run. His combo of burst and size make him an ideal threat to get after the QB. Sawyer Goram-Welch is considered one of the finds of the class. While he is currently playing DT, he could move over to offense in the off-season and try his hand at either guard or tackle. Coaches really like his motor, toughness and better-than-anticipated athleticism.

At linebacker, Jaylan Ford has stepped into a potential heir apparent as the most talented linebacker on the team. Coaches like his combo of football smarts, size and relative quickness. They also think he’s football tough. Ford will likely end up a multi-year starter for the Horns. Jayden Hullaby and Prince Dorbah are the other two LBs in the class. Dorbah has plus-ability but coaches would like him to show more tenacity and a greater commitment in his desire to develop as a player. Hullaby is different in that regard. He’s considered a blue collar, lunch pail type. He will strike you and he has no problem giving it everything he’s got on every play.

In the secondary, Kitan Crawford, Xavian Alford, and Jerrin Thompson all have the cut of future starters. Coaches are particularly high of late on Crawford and Alford as they have shown signs of growing into their plus-athleticism with more and more practice reps. Thompson is considered a savvy football player. Alford was singled out as a potential captain-type long term. Crawford is the most physically gifted of the group. That leaves Jahdae Barron, who has already seen significant action on special teams. Barron has some work ahead of him to define his role better but he has the requisite talent to be a contributor and possible starter.

Last but not least...

I hate the Coronavirus

You know what would really make those freshmen shine?  A new head coach.

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Correct. And in my mind the two things are separate. You can dismiss the lack of public displays of support up until, say, the beginning of this week, as CDC strategy for taking a swing at Urban and laying the groundwork to reel him in and transition coaches. But if we're to believe Urban has truly become "no" and CDC has switched courses to bringing back Herman sometime in the last few days, that switch would logically publicly supporting him now.

The verifiable fact is that CDC has stayed the court of no public support despite the change in circumstances being reported. It doesn't line up. 

That last paragraph is the money one to me. If CDC isn’t out waving Pom Pom’s for Herman right now, and he’s really bringing him back he’s a fucking room temperature idiot or actively trying to bring about the dismantling of the Texas football program, bc that’s what letting a coach twist in the wind only to bring him back ultimately does to a place. 
I don’t think CDC is a fool or a sabateur, but if he keeps his fucking pie hole closed for weeks while the barbarians gather at the gate and then hand waves it away and brings Herman back without putting those rumors down he’s a fool or working to fuck over our own interest. 
I choose to believe he’s neither so o choose to believe Herman is gone. We shall see. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

Tom Herman will not be coaching Texas in 2021. Whatever is released will be bullshit. He might not get fired until after the national title game, but he’s gone. See the difference between “I have bad news, he’s staying “ at 2am bit versus what I’m saying? 

ah, got it.  That's the same thing I've heard. He's gone, and has already been informed he's gone. But I could easily see a public show of support before Wednesday.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Yuk said:

Again, this is all about NSD1. CDC will not give Herman a public vote of confidence. This is the best he'll do, leak that UT is leaning toward having him back in 2021.

Meanwhile, Meyer hasn't put this to bed and just yesterday told tOSU reporter not to bring it up. Why? And yesterday on Cowherd, said he thinks about coaching every day and would return to "perfect, perfect" situation. He must have told Cowherd "don't ask about Texas" too because he didn't.  It would be better for him and tOSU if he put this to bed publicly if it was over because the suspicion of this deal still being on is leaking back into public sphere again. But he hasn't. In fact he goes out of his way to avoid answering any questions about it.

Agree. Without having Meyer in hand at this point, the goal has to be to hold together what is a below-standards but not terrible NSD1 class, especially if we can pull LJ Johnson. That gives a level of cushion to work with and see if there are better options. If CDC fires Herman this weekend you put the whole class at risk because you are not going to have someone new lined up to keep it together by Wednesday. 

These two statements related?

26 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Something always happens in the "last few minutes" at 2am.  At least in my life thats been the case so maybe that dumbass is right. 

Ehh, I'm usually too drunk for it to happen. But I can't even remember the last time I stayed up until 2:00 anyway.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 1

Wonder if it is a new name because it seems Mullen is the only one worth it so far assuming Campbell wants to stay in the midwest. 

Re a possible CDC vote of confidence, the logical side of my brain tells me we've gone too far in this game for him to do a 180 and and truly expect that fixes the issue, best it could do IMO is provide a bandaid until NSD 1. Further, if that's the plan at this point and we're to believe the 9.95 leaks re keeping Herman are CDC-influenced, why the fuck would CDC choose to message that through Ketch and other online rags?

In other words, why wouldn't he just get it out there himself? As a trial balloon to gauge UT fans' reactions? Have a hard time believing that, as it's pretty clear how most feel about retaining Herman and, frankly, don't think the AD gives a shit what message board sentiment is so long as DKR seats are filled.

The emotional side of my brain says fuck that shit, there will be no public vote of confidence because it doesn't fit my desired narrative and it'd be a stupid fucking decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Like you wouldn't melt the fuck down. You are already close to jumping.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I just don't see the value in giving him a vote of confidence for recruiting purposes when the kids can still leave via portal if you still plan on removing him after NSD1.

You'd much rather have to fight to keep a kid who already signed with you then see a recruit push back their signing date to NSD2 or worse - sign with another school.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

ah, got it.  That's the same thing I've heard. He's gone, and has already been informed he's gone. But I could easily see a public show of support before Wednesday.

I don’t think he’s been informed of anything, though. In fact, he for sure believes he’s coming back and doesn’t understand why all the “Internet trolling” is being allowed to go on without a response from CDC, so he’s pushing for it. This guy is not going to handle his termination well and that’s an active administrative fear. I don’t think we’re hearing the same thing on this one.

There’s a growing belief that UM hasn’t publicly addressed anything whatsoever because watching Tom Herman twist in the wind is worth it to him. He blames the guy for ruining his tenure at OSU. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I just don't see the value in giving him a vote of confidence for recruiting purposes when the kids can still leave via portal if you still plan on removing him after NSD1.

Fire him before NSD1 without a replacement and almost nobody signs except for "I'm a Longhorn ride or die" types like Sanders. And other coaches can swoop in and convince teenagers not to wait until NSD2 and just get it over with. 

Get them signed with the current coach and work on keeping them with the new coach seems like the optimal strategy, especially if you think the new coach is going to be a good hire. That doesn't mean be a dick school and fight their release tooth and nail if they still want to leave but it gives you the best shot. 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:
12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

A lot of buyouts get lowered in late December or early January

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We’re all going to be terribly disappointed when we wait until January for a new coach and it’s Tony Elliot. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You'd much rather have to fight to keep a kid who already signed with you then see a recruit push back their signing date to NSD2 or worse - sign with another school.

Yes. I do agree that the transfer rule helps things out a lot, but there's a difference in going back on a verbal, and then leaving a school you just physically signed with recently. Psychologically for these kids, and all. I'm sure some could give a shit, but others would hesitate.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic