Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

AFAIK, this thread is the only place in the entire Longhorn universe that has someone saying a deal with Urban is done.

Meanwhile, people extremely close to the people in the middle of all this are telling me it’s no and has been no for a few weeks.

So, of course I’m just going to put all of that information on the back burner for the next three weeks and believe in the unicorns on this thread. This will get me through the holiday season in a joyous mood.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

that's because we don't have one t. boone pickens. we have 10x that, and it results in a coaching search by committee. it's crazy to me not to let the athletic director do his job. if he does a bad job doing that job, then get another one. but this circus we have every time we need a new coach is fucking embarrassing. 

I understand where you are coming from, but the notion that we should (or even can) "just let the AD do their job" and spearhead the hiring effort hearkens back to a bygone era when football coaches didn't make much.  If you go back and look at Mackovic's salary (even inflation adjusted), it's not even comparable to what coaches make today.  

In today's market, it works to let the AD hire, say, the softball coach because Mike White's salary is rounding error in the AD budget. Our weightlifting coach probably makes double his salary.  

Hiring a football coach requires boosters to commit to tens of millions of dollars.  The idea that they are just going to commit to this kind of money ex ante, and effectively cede all decision rights to the AD (particularly an AD like CDC, who I think is a fool), is silly.  Can you imagine a process whereby CDC comes back to them and says "fellas, I got our new coach without any input from anyone else- it's Sonny Dykes!!.  Also, I need that $30 million you promised me."  

I promise you that any school looking to hire a big time coach with big time $$ involved is going to have big time booster involvement.  I don't see any way around it.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

AFAIK, this thread is the only place in the entire Longhorn universe that has someone saying a deal with Urban is done.

Meanwhile, people extremely close to the people in the middle of all this are telling me it’s no and has been no for a few weeks.

So, of course I’m just going to put all of that information on the back burner for the next three weeks and believe in the unicorns on this thread. This will get me through the holiday season in a joyous mood.

If they know that then they are in a position to know if we are pursuing other options.  Well, are we?

3 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

5/6 captains opted out. Have to wonder if TH has pulled them in and told them what is going to happen with his job.

Not a chance. Herman probably hasn't been advised he's dead man walking yet. These guys are just getting a jump on prepping for the NFL Draft. We are destined for a minor bowl game -- if it gets played at all. Even in normal seasons, you see guys not playing the bowl games now.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

So do his players hate him or love him? I keep getting mixed signals from the rumor mill.

Maybe the love to hate him or it is one of those love-hate relationships.

IT has been pretty adamant that the players, in general, do not like Tom Herman.  I'm sure there are some players that have a fine enough relationship with him - but I think they're the exception.  This isn't like Charlie where you had scores of players coming out to support him despite the terrible record.  Even Sam was lukewarm in his evaluation of the staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Not true.  Plenty of insiders at Ob,IT, 24/7 have said it's happening.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fire the coach after NSD1 then the class just transfers anyway so it really doesn't matter but holding onto a dead weight lame duck piece of shit coach isn't the right answer.

Someone(s) has to pony up more than $25M (much more if other coach has a buyout to pay). I feel pretty confident that CDC would can him tomorrow if you drop off a payment.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT has been pretty adamant that the players, in general, do not like Tom Herman.  I'm sure there are some players that have a fine enough relationship with him - but I think they're the exception.  This isn't like Charlie where you had scores of players coming out to support him despite the terrible record.  Even Sam was lukewarm in his evaluation of the staff.

Idk how true that is.  I know Sam is frustrated, but Tom went to bat for these kids this summer.  

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

They seriously need new blood over there. It'd bad. 

Yeah it is much better for the program to be able to point to first round draft picks in Ossai and Cosmi (hopefully one or both of them are first round picks) than have them back next season. Our inability to produce high draft picks is a serious problem right now.

Just terrible take by the Statesman there.

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Dbeasy said:

They did say he could always change his mind.

I think this speaks to how little information people are really getting on the situation. I don't think they've really heard from a solid source that Urban said no, just that the search continues, so they've gotta leave it open on that end. 

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Idk how true that is.  I know Sam is frustrated, but Tom went to bat for these kids this summer.  

Sure he did, and that was good on his part.  But if went back to being an asshole on the practice field and continued his shitty game management and overall leadership, whatever capital he built up in the summer has eroded.

17 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

5/6 captains opted out. Have to wonder if TH has pulled them in and told them what is going to happen with his job.

Once again, Herman has no clue. He may suspect it as he is mensa. The leaks would be massive. Now we are supposed to believe he may have told the captains and they're keeping it a secret? 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach

14 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I understand where you are coming from, but the notion that we should (or even can) "just let the AD do their job" and spearhead the hiring effort hearkens back to a bygone era when football coaches didn't make much.  If you go back and look at Mackovic's salary (even inflation adjusted), it's not even comparable to what coaches make today.  

In today's market, it works to let the AD hire, say, the softball coach because Mike White's salary is rounding error in the AD budget. Our weightlifting coach probably makes double his salary.  

Hiring a football coach requires boosters to commit to tens of millions of dollars.  The idea that they are just going to commit to this kind of money ex ante, and effectively cede all decision rights to the AD (particularly an AD like CDC, who I think is a fool), is silly.  Can you imagine a process whereby CDC comes back to them and says "fellas, I got our new coach without any input from anyone else- it's Sonny Dykes!!.  Also, I need that $30 million you promised me."  

I promise you that any school looking to hire a big time coach with big time $$ involved is going to have big time booster involvement.  I don't see any way around it.  

and i understand your point. my problem is that we have competing interests in our boosters and many apparent rivalries. they aren't all pulling in for the big win. they are all pulling for the big win to their individual egos. that's how we got tom herman. that's how tom herman got an extension, the whirlwind of which we are currently reaping. 

the bottom line is that we pay too much because we want to be the joneses. that's a great sentiment and all, but we need to be the destination program, not the retirement program. you win something, sure, we'll pay you, but we have paid way too much for way too little for way too long.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think its entirely plausible that Urban did not want to be hired right now. Right before signing day, season almost over, and the likely coaches he'd take from other schools are still playing. Of course, its completely plausible that Urban simply wont coach again due to his health. 

Is it just me, or has this whole "process" feel fan and media driven? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

That wasn't your argument, that Big 12 teams don't play good defense... your argument was as to why that is, and I just don't fully agree with you.

Your point completely ignores that we also don't happen to be getting the best offensive talent anymore, either. Is it because of weak targeting calls and poor defense that we're not getting the best linemen anymore, also?

No on the OL thing

But why do you think big 12 teams don't play defense? 

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

No on the OL thing

But why do you think big 12 teams don't play defense? 

Didn't ESPN or Big Noon show that this year the conference with the least yards allowed per game is the BIG12? Other conferences did not play offense and now that they are playing our style of offense their defenses are learning.

and i understand your point. my problem is that we have competing interests in our boosters and many apparent rivalries. they aren't all pulling in for the big win. they are all pulling for the big win to their individual egos. that's how we got tom herman. that's how tom herman got an extension, the whirlwind of which we are currently reaping. 
the bottom line is that we pay too much because we want to be the joneses. that's a great sentiment and all, but we need to be the destination program, not the retirement program. you win something, sure, we'll pay you, but we have paid way too much for way too little for way too long.

It’s apparent Herman isn’t the guy today but four years ago, Strong was an utter failure. Herman was the hot, up-and-comer and we had to strike fast to keep him from going to LSU. We did what had to be done. Who else was feasible or likely then?

Things are better than when Herman took over but there are also glaring blind spots and other deficiencies in Herman’s skill set. Plus, he’s an asshole that nobody seems to like.

By most accounts, the Big Cigars are fully aligned in wanting Herman gone. They also seem fully aligned on the idea of Urban at Texas. I hope that’s still in play. If he has already — or will — turn us down, things get a lot trickier.

Just now, Skipper said:

Agreed.  Who is actually still saying it's happening at this point?  Those twitter trolls everyone was hanging their hat on 2 weeks ago?  

Who is saying it's not happening? People that work for a defunct, barely locally relevant newspaper? Strikeout take king FCB? The "local" guy that voted for Reggie Bush for the fucking Heisman?

If I wanted to listen to people like that and take their words as God's I'd have gone to aggy.

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The ACC was dead garbage 8 years ago. Seems they have a program in their crap conference who shares their state with an SEC program who's doing okay for themselves.

And you played yourself again with another post. 

"The Big 12 can't play defense like the SEC. To prove that point here's a quote where someone points out Nick Saban said you can't really play defense anywhere anymore."

You're not a very bright guy. 

The ACC was dead garbage 8 years ago... except the ACC team that won the national championship in 2013, then sent a team to the CFP the next year.

You forgetting crab legs?

The ACC isn't notorious for a playing style that doesn't include defense. The big 12 is, and blowU usually goes and shows that off every year in the CFP. Then everyone reaffirms their point that the big 12 doesn't play any defense, and defensive recruits go find somewhere else to exhibit their talents.

The Big 12 can't play defense like the SEC, the ACC, or the Big 10. Look at the players each league is sending to the NFL or the eye test on those DL, it's a different ball game.

• Fuck You 6

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can anyone confirm or deny that CDC did or did not have any say so in the hiring of Patterson at TCU?

He has been TCU head coach since the year 2000. CDC was at the University of Arizona at the time, and Rice after that. He did not join TCU until 2009.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can anyone confirm or deny that CDC did or did not have any say so in the hiring of Patterson at TCU?

Patterson will not have been named HC at TCU until 2022, so we won't know until then whether CDC did or did not play a role in that hiring

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Zeus said:

The ACC was dead garbage 8 years ago... except the ACC team that won the national championship in 2013, then sent a team to the CFP the next year.

You forgetting crab legs?

The ACC isn't notorious for a playing style that doesn't include defense. The big 12 is, and blowU usually goes and shows that off every year in the CFP. Then everyone reaffirms their point that the big 12 doesn't play any defense, and defensive recruits go find somewhere else to exhibit their talents.

The Big 12 can't play defense like the SEC, the ACC, or the Big 10. Look at the players each league is sending to the NFL or the eye test on those DL, it's a different ball game.

You are really giving RD a run for his money...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Didn't ESPN or Big Noon show that this year the conference with the least yards allowed per game is the BIG12? Other conferences did not play offense and now that they are playing our style of offense their defenses are learning.

Even if this is true, our conference is trash and we should be embarrassed to be a member.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic