Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

Just now, Llogg said:

Ummm wut? Just cost me a hundred bucks at jiffy lube yesterday. That's not hurting me but it's not cheap as hell either.

All the quick change places sell synthetic as the default now, tripling the cost of your oil change. 
Pro tip:  you don’t need synthetic. 

4 hours ago, nnm said:

Pro tip:  you don’t need synthetic. 

If you plan to keep the car to 6digit mileage, you absolutely want synthetic. With modern prices, there is no reason to NOT run synthetic on any car, it makes a very clear difference in engine wear, well demonstrated via oil analysis and teardown analysis.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

And anyone who's telling you that you need to change your oil every 3,000 miles is either selling oil or selling oil changes.

This. Running synthetic allows extended change intervals. It is senseless to run synthetic and keep using "dino" oil change intervals. Generally the cost works out in favor of synthetic if you count the extended change intervals. Modern synthetics and modern engines can frequently go 10k miles comfortably.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

If you plan to keep the car to 6digit mileage, you absolutely want synthetic. With modern prices, there is no reason to NOT run synthetic on any car, it makes a very clear difference in engine wear, well demonstrated via oil analysis and teardown analysis.

This. Running synthetic allows extended change intervals. It is senseless to run synthetic and keep using "dino" oil change intervals. Generally the cost works out in favor of synthetic if you count the extended change intervals. Modern synthetics and modern engines can frequently go 10k miles comfortably.

This. I get the synthetic b/c this is likely to be the last car I buy. I get the oil changed at around 5-6k intervals.

9 hours ago, slorch said:

LMAO. Pretty sure growing up on a farm, doing maintenance on all varieties of equipment and machinery; serving as a light vehicle mechanic in the Marine Corps  gives  me a decent foundation from which to work on the task at hand.

It's a fucking oil change, not climbing Everest.  Plenty capable, but more willing to pay someone else to do it.

The point of contention was the displayed hours of availability for said service versus what was being conveyed.

just yanking your chain man.

When there is a lane closed due to construction and they have a sign and traffic backed up for two miles and idiots keep zooming by in the upcoming closed lane!  Hey idiots, we all get out of here faster if you just get in the single file lane like the rest of us.   

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

When there is a lane closed due to construction and they have a sign and traffic backed up for two miles and idiots keep zooming by in the upcoming closed lane!  Hey idiots, we all get out of here faster if you just get in the single file lane like the rest of us.   

Actually that’s not true.  The zipper method is the most efficient 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

the airlines don't all have the same size carry on.  they all buy their bins from the same companies, why the fuck aren't they all one size?  and then there's the luggage makers making things slightly bigger than the most common carry on size. "there's not a top on the sizer so we were like, fuck it, who cares if it's an inch too big that way not like that means 3 of our product definitely won't fit in the bin so there's going to be a big dead space up there and anyone taking our luggage on a ULCC won't get dinged an extra $50"

• Rage+1 1

the phrase "moving day" while watching golf.   I have never heard this term until 15-20 years ago.   the announcers fucking ramrod this saying down your fucking throat every saturday and especially at majors.   you would literally die of alcohol poisoning if you played a game where you took a shot every time an announcer said "moving day" while watching the masters 

16 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

the phrase "moving day" while watching golf.   I have never heard this term until 15-20 years ago.   the announcers fucking ramrod this saying down your fucking throat every saturday and especially at majors.   you would literally die of alcohol poisoning if you played a game where you took a shot every time an announcer said "moving day" while watching the masters 

I don't watch much golf, but a little bit here and there (like the Austin tourney).  I've never heard the term "Moving Day."  What does it mean and how I can play the drinking game today? 

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

What's better? It takes 20, 30 minutes tops. It's 5 minutes from the house. My hands stay clean. It's cheaper than the shop I go to for real shit. What's the down side? Yes they try to upsell on all the things, but I don't bite.

They're dipshits and strip drain plugs.  Corporate structure rewards bullshit upselling.  I use a local shop and they're quick.  If you trust that JL shop, good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

People who put a slice of lemon in my tea or on the rim when I explicitly tell them “no lemon please”.

I couldn’t even begin to count how many times I’ve ordered a sandwich with no tomato but have been served a sandwich with tomato on it. It’s like a reflex with them. They can’t help but put tomato on the sandwich. 

Yes, lemons are normally more expensive than limes. Typically 3/$1 for lemons and 5/$1 limes in my area. Limes have been getting more expensive over the past few months though and apparently have overtaken lemons in some places. That sucks because I don't make margaritas with lemons.

Broadly speaking, people who don’t realize that lemons and limes are NOT FUCKING INTERCHANGEABLE.
I use limes in lots of my Mexican and Asian cooking, and in particular cocktails. I use lemons in Italian and African cooking, and in some DIFFERENT cocktails. And when I said for a particular one, that’s what I want. Also, lemons and limes (along with fresh garlic, butter, eggs, and good olive oil) are among the things that I make sure I always have in the kitchen.
Fuckers who give me lemon when I want a lime….make brisket wanna cut a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The last time I bought limes they were 79¢ each. I bought lemons yesterday for 89¢ each. Aren’t lemons always more expensive than limes?

yes, that's why i said right now they're inverted.  limes are 2/$1 and lemons are 3/$1 right now at HEB. 

the usual 5/$1 limes probably works out to about the same per bushel as 3/$1 lemons. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Broadly speaking, people who don’t realize that lemons and limes are NOT FUCKING INTERCHANGEABLE.
I use limes in lots of my Mexican and Asian cooking, and in particular cocktails. I use lemons in Italian and African cooking, and in some DIFFERENT cocktails. And when I said for a particular one, that’s what I want. Also, lemons and limes (along with fresh garlic, butter, eggs, and good olive oil) are among the things that I make sure I always have in the kitchen.

Note to self:  the next time I am having a drink with brisket I’m gonna slip the bartender $5 to mix up the lemon and lime.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

gourmet.jpg

• Like 1