Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

40 minutes ago, Loco said:

Peace be with you and coronavirus too

Bishop Doyle from the Diocese of Texas has banned the practice of intincting the host (which is less sanitary than drinking from the communion cup because people's fingers sometimes end up touching the wine) for the time being and has ordered holy water stoups to be drained. Still there has never been a documented case of an infectious disease being transmitted from the communion cup. Every Episcopal church I have been to take the appropriate safeguards--that is, wiping the interior and exterior rim between communicants, use of care to rotate the cloth during use, and use of a clean cloth for each service - to diminish this risk

• Letter to the Editor from CDC Scientists,
    "Risk of Infectious Disease Transmission from a Common Communion Cup"
    American Journal of Infection Control (Vol. 26, pgs. 538-539). 
    • Key quotes: "no documented transmission of any infectious disease has ever been traced to the use of a common communion cup" and "the risk for infectious disease transmission by a common communion cup is very low"
  • Peer-Reviewed Article,
    "The hazard of infection from the shared communion cup"
    Journal of Infection (1988) (Vol 16, pgs. 3-23).
    • Key quote: "No episode of disease attributable to the shared communion cup has ever been reported. Currently available data do not provide any support for suggesting that the practice of sharing a common communion cup should be abandoned because it might spread infection."
Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

Still not near enough info on testing availability/procedures.   At what point is someone without a bullshit travel history qualifier or known contact with a confirmed positive (i) presenting with fever at a major hospital going to be able to get tested and (ii) presenting at a regular doctors office or urgent care going to be able to get a test.   If we still can't do the first one by the end of this week it's a joke.  And based on the earlier tweet regarding Florida, it looks like that will still be the case.

• Like 1

Just now, Girdwood said:

Wishing for death of politicians on a particular side of the aisle is totally not CR 🙄

It was apolitical.  I didn't specify either party.  If it takes them all, we can get a soft system reset.  It'll do what term limits will never be allowed to do.

• Like 1

We have to accept this is going to get a lot worse. But if they shut down schools and universities as well as all large gatherings including church services this could be handled well. 

With the president unable to know the difference between comparing annual flu rates with a couple of weeks of this virus that we have almost zero ability yet to test for I am sure we'll get the worst case scenario. 

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Still not near enough info on testing availability/procedures.   At what point is someone without a bullshit travel history qualifier or known contact with a confirmed positive (i) presenting with fever at a major hospital going to be able to get tested and (ii) presenting at a regular doctors office or urgent care going to be able to get a test.   If we still can't do the first one by the end of this week it's a joke.  And based on the earlier tweet regarding Florida, it looks like that will still be the case.

Sometime this week as mass production of non-flawed tests are already underway.  I believe they've already changed the guidance on this matter.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If it’s already all over the country, then why haven’t olds been dropping dead all over?  And if they have, what illnesses have we been appropriating those deaths to, that apparently we don’t care about the spike in deaths?

This is my deal - either it's here all over the place, in which case there's no reason at all to be concerned, or it's not in most places and we could see a huge spike once it gets here.  It can't be both, can it?

1 minute ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Sometime this week as mass production of non-flawed tests are already underway.  I believe they've already changed the guidance on this matter.

No not in Florida.  As of yesterday doctors who are requesting tests are being told NO.  Will it change tomorrow?  who knows

Red lines everywhere on google maps around my friend's Sams Club in Frisco. Here come the preppers and the Karens

If they were smart and Plus members(free shipping), they’d order their shit online other than water(not free shipping). Of course wipes and hand sanitizer are all out of stock.

Just now, Armybrat said:

Well, to be truthful if the virus wiped out DC, then the CR forum could just fade away...like cruise line stocks. 😊

Heh!  I would support a bipartisan viral wipeout and government reset.  Is it against the rules if you just hope everyone dies?  

ysx72vk4i59z.png?width=960&crop=smart&au

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This is my deal - either it's here all over the place, in which case there's no reason at all to be concerned, or it's not in most places and we could see a huge spike once it gets here.  It can't be both, can it?

Depends on incubation length.

9 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

It can be geographically widespread, but not have impacted a significant portion of the population (yet). I think we likely have a few thousand or maybe even 10-20 thousand cases across the US. That number is going to get really big really fast. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It can be geographically widespread, but not have impacted a significant portion of the population (yet). I think we likely have a few thousand or maybe even 10-20 thousand cases across the US. That number is going to get really big really fast. 

Who knows how many people (especially the young) already have this, but their symptoms are so minor they attribute them to other natural causes (like seasonal allergies)?

1 minute ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Who knows how many people (especially the young) already have this, but their symptoms are so minor they attribute them to other natural causes (like seasonal allergies)?

Exactly. My kids have been sick a few times over the winter, same as every winter. Completely possible that they've already been exposed, and I'd have no way of knowing either way. 

Just now, hopkinsnhorns said:

Agreed. I'm just saying the number can't be "yuge" (yet) due to the lack of reported deaths. But, it can still be (and is) spread out geographically despite a relatively small pool of infected. As I said, tens of thousands is possible. That number is going to be in the millions before the end of April. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

They decided to hold their conference anyway during the run up to a global pandemic and shook a bunch of hands with a bunch of folks and talked on and on about how it's all bullshit and we have nothing to worry about.

Fast forward to now and they're all starting to quarantine themselves because they exposed themselves to the virus by engaging in a litany of high-risk behaviors for spreading.

It's not like CV was unknown and this is coming out of left field. This is equivalent to a flat earther launching himself on a steam rocket to prove us all wrong.

So how about Seattle hosting Comic Con even though they have the virus in the area? Hope they all get sick, or would you rather not since Seattle votes a certain way? 

It's fucking dumb for wanting people to get sick and or die.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

So how about Seattle hosting Comic Con even though they have the virus in the area? Hope they all get sick, or would you rather not since Seattle votes a certain way? 

It's fucking dumb for wanting people to get sick and or die.

I don't think it's smart to host any convention right now, and Emerald City Comic Con was postponed so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. If they decided to host the event and proudly proclaimed it was just a conspiracy and everything is 100% safe, then yeah, I'd laugh when it blew up in their face.

I don't want people to get sick or die, but I am going to laugh at when their own actions put them at risk of the very thing they claimed was a non-factor. The schadenfreude has nothing to do with their politics, and everything to do with that they were (and still are) vehemently denying that it was a problem and engaged in extremely high-risk behavior for viral transmission when there was a consensus that it was something to be concerned about.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I'd be really interested in seeing the national figures for deaths attributed to pneumonia, flu, cold, and respiratory illness in February and March compared to December and January. 

What a shitshow. I get these letters from the airlines titled “our response to the coronavirus outbreak” from United and a Delta. They are basically the same copy-paste bullshit. I just flew domestic and international on United two days ago. EVERYTHING is exactly the same as it was before. Almost all the soap dispensers in the bathroom at fucking IAH didn’t work. Everyone was playing musical chairs around the faucets to find a soap that worked. No alcohol gel anywhere. No disinfectant wipes anywhere.

Just now, XYZ said:

What a shitshow. I get these letters from the airlines titled “our response to the coronavirus outbreak” from United and a Delta. They are basically the same copy-paste bullshit. I just flew domestic and international on United two days ago. EVERYTHING is exactly the same as it was before. Almost all the soap dispensers in the bathroom at fucking IAH didn’t work. Everyone was playing musical chairs around the faucets to find a soap that worked. No alcohol gel anywhere. No disinfectant wipes anywhere.

Got similar from Delta and SWA in the last few days. 

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Don’t think this is CR... but this shit spreading at CPAC might be one of the best things that could’ve happened. These are the folks who are significantly downplaying the risks, if not directly undermining our ability to contain this. Hopefully the exposure/fear they now have will be enough to change the narrative. A “scared straight” situation if you will

I'm no mod, but to me that is just a good take without any invective or malice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

That's ok within the last 2 hours Florida has communicated 3 different versions of "mandatory" self isolation protocol.  Seems like they keep walking it back... wonder why that might be????

Here is the latest and most watered down version.  Also no discussion at all about foreign visitors to the state.

ESr79UyWoAE_e41?format=png&name=large

I switched all client interactions to phone/virtual today and two out 3 people are sick.  One guy who could barely talk was dx'd with bacterial infection but didn't get tested for Covid despite asking to and being told he didn't meet criteria.  I mentioned some of the symptoms and reactions people have been having then he mentions that 3 weeks ago the wife of a friend who is middle aged got flu symptoms.  Husband got her some cold meds. She went downstairs and he found her passed out on the floor.  In coma in hospital and died.  That sounds an awful lot like the acute onset and respiratory failure we're hearing about in Kirkland WA and in China.  Legitimately freaked out by that.

So one of the things I don't really see discussed much on this thread that seems relevant is specific issues for different locales that aren't as germane for other groups of countries, and that impact. I'm not talking about "China is authoritarian" or "Iran is an Islamic state" or "Italy is the Mexico of Europe". I mean more along the lines of this:

-China is a smoker's haven with a terrible local air environment (I am peanut-buttering Wuhan into the stereotype here, but I've never heard of any place in China being a stand alone clean location during their industrial rise)

-Is there a situation of large scale malnourishment in China as well? I don't know.

-Iran is a smoker's haven for men. Hospital beds per 1000 people is .1 (for comparison, US is 2.9, China 3.8) and the .1 is skewed by higher density of beds in Tehran.

-Italy is also an extremely heavy-smoking population. They also kiss anyone and everyone they greet socially on each cheek with their lips, or brush the cheeks if not with the lips. That's not a stereotype, that's actually a thing. This has to be a big component for spread, right? It's also an extremely old population, with 22% of the population being over the age of 65. Honestly, Italy seems like a perfect storm for outbreak for something like this. Hell, most of the world beyond a few first world countries still has a smoking problem. It's not like it doesn't exist in the US, but traveling abroad highlights an imbalance that is supported by facts from WHO. 

Anyway, this isn't to poo-poo weaknesses in infrastructure in the US or elsewhere. I'm just wondering if part of what we are seeing as major epicenters for this aren't also not coincidentally places with unique amplifiers to the location making it a bigger deal there than it might be elsewhere. Is the argument that places like the US have their own unique bullshit that will make things worse than they should be? If so, what is it/are they?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

So one of the things I don't really see discussed much on this thread that seems relevant is specific issues for different locales that aren't as germane for other groups of countries, and that impact. I'm not talking about "China is authoritarian" or "Iran is an Islamic state" or "Italy is the Mexico of Europe". I mean more along the lines of this:

-China is a smoker's haven with a terrible local air environment (I am peanut-buttering Wuhan into the stereotype here, but I've never heard of any place in China being a stand alone clean location during their industrial rise)

-Is there a situation of large scale malnourishment in China as well? I don't know.

-Iran is a smoker's haven for men. Hospital beds per 1000 people is .1 (for comparison, US is 2.9, China 3.8) and the .1 is skewed by higher density of beds in Tehran.

-Italy is also an extremely heavy-smoking population. They also kiss anyone and everyone they greet socially on each cheek with their lips, or brush the cheeks if not with the lips. That's not a stereotype, that's actually a thing. This has to be a big component for spread, right? It's also an extremely old population, with 22% of the population being over the age of 65. Honestly, Italy seems like a perfect storm for outbreak for something like this. Hell, most of the world beyond a few first world countries still has a smoking problem. It's not like it doesn't exist in the US, but traveling abroad highlights an imbalance that is supported by facts from WHO. 

Anyway, this isn't to poo-poo weaknesses in infrastructure in the US or elsewhere. I'm just wondering if part of what we are seeing as major epicenters for this aren't also not coincidentally places with unique amplifiers to the location making it a bigger deal there than it might be elsewhere. Is the argument that places like the US have their own unique bullshit that will make things worse than they should be? If so, what is it/are they?

We have a fatass/diabeetus problem.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away