Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ok serious question- right now I’m planning to take my family to San Juan, Puerto Rico for spring break. There are no excursions and no confined spaces other than a couple of fort visits and maybe kayaking in a bioluminescent bay. Otherwise It’s basically 4 days on the beach plus restaurants. That doesn’t seem high risk.
also- isn’t it a coin flip to to get this anyway? 

Talk me out of it.

Good luck. I’m still going to LA next week with kids 4, 6, 8, & 10 with my wife.

You think you can keep me out of California? We’re going to be at Disneyland/Cali Adventure, at the LaBrea tar pits, we’re going to be all over Universal Studios and I dare you to keep me out! 

Anywho thoughts and prayers to you and yours as well. 

Also, tickets on United from Houston to Seattle are now in the $250 range. Looking pretty, prettaaayy enticing. 

Also also, after reading the latest Bru McCoy article on the $9.95 board, it’s pretty  clear that he was patient zero for this thing. Not sure how he got to and fro Wuhan to make it happen though. 

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Are you driving to Puerto Rico in a bitchin' Camaro?

Well then you will have to go through an airport, and customs at least twice. 

Is it all inclusive? Are you dining with hundreds or going all in on regional food dining with locals?

Seems perfectly safe to me. And even if you get sick, PR has first rate health care.

Customs from the mainland to PR?

22 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Puerto Rico's government makes great decisions in case you get stuck there and i'm sure Puerto Rico's reporting is top notch and up to date.  Go for it!  

It's literally impossible for their response to be worse than Florida's.  

56 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

FIFM

Yeah, that's kind of where I am for the most part. Have never been on one, have no intention on It. I hear the Alaskan cruises are better (smaller). Some day, though, I want to do a chartered sailboat cruise around the Caribbean with a few other couples.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

For folks that want actual information, Ars Technica has a very comprehensive article/guide that they regularly update. I really recommend checking it out. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/

I found out back on shaggybevo that getting news from the people here is much more entertaining than from any other place I know of. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/westlake-high-school-student-self-quarantines-after-possible-covid-19-exposure/

“A Westlake High School student is under self-quarantine for a few weeks after possibly being exposed to a person who may have contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus.

On Monday, Eanes Independent School District sent out a letter to the community explaining that the WHS student recently attended a national conference out of state and then returned to school for five days.

Upon returning, the Westlake student learned that the student later exhibited flu-like symptoms consistent with COVID-19.”

(Shit KXAN get your copy editing together)

“The student is currently healthy with no signs of the virus, the district says. The student’s family has reportedly chosen to self-quarantine out of “an abundance of caution.”

The district says the potential exposure has been reported to the Travis County Health Department, which determined the student does not qualify for further screening at this time.“

This thing seems really fucking contagious:

Most cases linked to the meeting, which was attended by about 175 people, are in Massachusetts. State health officials said Monday that 32 of the 41 infected patients in the state were either Biogen employees or close contacts of employees.

Two people in Indiana, five people in North Carolina and one person in New Jersey tested positive with coronavirus after attending the meeting.

Biogen has since informed all attendees to quarantine themselves and symptomatic employees to alert public health officials, the company said in a statement emailed to The Washington Post.

“We recognize that this is a difficult situation for our colleagues and their loved ones,” the drugmaker wrote. “We are actively working with all relevant departments of public health and hospitals to prioritize the well-being of the people who may have been exposed to COVID-19.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/09/coronavirus-live-updates/#link-J6OHSEP2AJELJMSDXTI4RMEY3E

Unclear how many of the 32 in Massachussets were there, but it seems like a quarter of the people catching something from one conference is bad. It's supposed to be less contagious than the flu. Does the flu transmit like that?

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Maybe someone else can copy paste but this thread is terrifying if accurate:  

here is a working link. 

https://threader.app/thread/1237142891077697538

The Text 

Spoiler

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:
1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.

2/ First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick
2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.
4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.

13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.

You can follow @jasonvanschoor.

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The district says the potential exposure has been reported to the Travis County Health Department, which determined the student does not qualify for further screening at this time.“

That's an odd way to say, "We still have no testing kits."

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Have seen similar stuff elsewhere - basically ICUs are overwhelmed (no surprise given the numbers) and they are deciding who gets treatment by whether the docs think they will survive.  Basically, the fabled death panels.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Have seen similar stuff elsewhere - basically ICUs are overwhelmed (no surprise given the numbers) and they are deciding who gets treatment by whether the docs think they will survive.  Basically, the fabled death panels.  

It spread so damn fast in Italy. Pretty sure that will be many US regions within a week or two. 

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

here is a working link. 

https://threader.app/thread/1237142891077697538

The Text 

Hide contents

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:
1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.

2/ First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick
2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.
4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.

13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.

You can follow @jasonvanschoor.

That would probably scare me more if it included a glossary for all the abbreviations.  

I live in Frisco and just read the comments on a local news story about the case discovered here.

We are fucked.

It's really frightening how ignorant most people here are about what is going on with this across the world. What's worse is the narrative that anyone encouraging changes in behavior to avoid catching and spreading this is gullible and caught up in the media frenzy. These people really believe there's nothing to see here, meanwhile other countries are implementing unprecedented quarantines of huge numbers of people.

Any hope I had that this could be moderately contained here is just gone. Idiots are going to be idiots and make sure this thing spreads like crazy, and only once people they know start being impacted will they realize it was more than just the media. Unfortunately that will be about two weeks too late to hope to to anything about it.

General lack of awareness about what goes on in the world has always been pretty embarrassing for a lot of Americans, and for once it's going to bite us in the ass. There's plenty of evidence to go off of at this point in terms of the severity of this, but reading these comments you wouldn't know it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

When is large scale testing suppose to begin? I'm sure someone has asked and it's been answered but this thread moves pretty quick. Thanks in advance 

Anywhere from last week to never depending on who you believe.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ok serious question- right now I’m planning to take my family to San Juan, Puerto Rico for spring break. There are no excursions and no confined spaces other than a couple of fort visits and maybe kayaking in a bioluminescent bay. Otherwise It’s basically 4 days on the beach plus restaurants. That doesn’t seem high risk.
also- isn’t it a coin flip to to get this anyway? 

Talk me out of it.

If you are going to Phosphorescent Bay on the south side of the island, be sure and do the glass bottom boat after dark. And please take some photos of El Morro fortress at the tip of Old San Juan. We lived there from 1950-1954. Our “modern” military quarters were torn down in the late 1960s when the Army turned the place over to the National Parks Service. Those buildings at that time were located In the open green acreage to the left of the main drive up to the bridge gate of the fort.

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

When is large scale testing suppose to begin? I'm sure someone has asked and it's been answered but this thread moves pretty quick. Thanks in advance 

I don’t think the US has any plans to test anyone, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see testing discontinued entirely here. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I work from home (or an airplane) anyway, but my company just issued a work from home order until March 24th. I bet our always reliable VPN service will be awesome with a few thousand extra users. 

Assuming we work for the same company.  Hope EHS isn’t calling you tonight.  

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I cant believe there are people that follow this and still wanna fly on planes/go on cruises/go to large scale church services/events/places

I have a trip to Mexico City booked next week for work plus two days personal. Am I crazy to want to go still? Figure its safer there than in DC, so it's just flying on the plane. 

30 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This one caught my eye.  Is this a safety measure to protect others?  No comprende.

I posted an article this morning that basically said a chest CT was much more accurate and sensitive than the RT-PCR test. I'd have to go back to the article, because I find it hard to believe, but I guess a lot of it has to do with sample handling. Anyway, a CT is pretty fast and inexpensive so it would make sense to me to admit based on CT and follow-up on those cases with the labwork.

I live in Frisco and just read the comments on a local news story about the case discovered here.

We are fucked.

It's really frightening how ignorant most people here are about what is going on with this across the world. What's worse is the narrative that anyone encouraging changes in behavior to avoid catching and spreading this is gullible and caught up in the media frenzy. These people really believe there's nothing to see here, meanwhile other countries are implementing unprecedented quarantines of huge numbers of people.

Any hope I had that this could be moderately contained here is just gone. Idiots are going to be idiots and make sure this thing spreads like crazy, and only once people they know start being impacted will they realize it was more than just the media. Unfortunately that will be about two weeks too late to hope to to anything about it.

General lack of awareness about what goes on in the world has always been pretty embarrassing for a lot of Americans, and for once it's going to bite us in the ass. There's plenty of evidence to go off of at this point in terms of the severity of this, but reading these comments you wouldn't know it.
This is my observation as well. Only a few at work seem even moderately concerned. I'm starting to feel like a conspiracy theorist for thinking this gets much, much worse here in the next few weeks and months.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

No.  They’re devoting limited resources to those with a decent chance of surviving.  Certain co-morbidities are chalked up as lost causes.

In other words, they’re basically practicing classic battlefield triage techniques.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away