Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Whats funny is that states and individual entities (universities, cities, organizations) are gonna be more responsible for halting the outbreak than the federal govt

This may be a CR comment but I would have been surprised if it didn’t go exactly this way.  The federal government has not been in the “get things done, and fast” business in my lifetime.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

@HenryJames no you don’t have to listen anyone and especially that guy. The only thing worse then non experts opining is probably a perceived expert (someone with a MD after their name) who politicizes this.

I should not have singled you out. The last day or so the cloaking of this thread by some is annoying to say the least. 

Unfortunately this is so new there are no experts on this. Everyone is learning hour by hour in real time and so far the stats we have to go off of are:

Flu: In US about 35 to 45 million cases annually resulting in 300 to 500 thousand hospitalizations and 35,000 to 45,000 deaths. 

Covid19: As of this morning approx 115,000 cases worldwide with 4,000 deaths. Can't get rate of hospitalization nailed down enough to post but most I've seen are around 10 to 20 percent. 

Quality and quantity of stats on Covid19 aren't up to where we need them yet but tough shit as this is what we have to work with. Based on this and seeing how a country like Italy is on the verge of having it's healthcare system overrun in a manner of days it's gross negligence at best for anyone to claim this is similar to the flu. We won't have the data to say for certain for quite a while but what we do have suggests it's a problem that can over run our medical system easily if precautions aren't taken. 

Right now the federal government isn't taking the proper precautions and the leader of the government and his political party are downplaying the threat in spite of the mounting evidence to the contrary. This is just a fact and people can call it what they want. 

Next person who says a politicians fucking name in this god damned thread is getting a week off.

DO NOT SAY POLITICIANS NAMES, DO NOT USE POLITICAL PARTIES AS QUALIFIERS OR ADJECTIVES - USE THEIR CURRENT POSITION IN GOVERNMENT ONLY

Examples:
Trump is such a dumbass and got us into this stupid mess and all the democrats that enabled him along the way are fucking part of the problem too!

BANNED

Our POTUS is such a dumbass and got us into this stupid mess and THE SENATE AND HIS CABINET MEMBERS enabled them along the way - the whole government is a mess!

NOT BANNED

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are at over 700 cases, and 27 deaths.   Boy, that CDC site sure seems to be lagging.....that’s not suspicious at all.

Meanwhile, Italy is publishing spreadsheets full of data everyday about their numbers, their testing, their cases, broken down by regions and cities, etc.   And South Korea is posting detailed reports of where infected people had visited.  

South Korea is testing over 10K a day.  A day.  CDC and public health labs have tested about 8K TOTAL.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing-in-us.html

lab-data-graph.png

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

JFC there's been plenty of cloaking in this thread that's not related at all to a planned response to the outbreak.  

Broadbrush painting entire groups of people as being backwoods and stupid and therefore "Trumpy"-- as one poster did above-- is the absolute definition of cloaking up this thread.  I mean, what kind of responses does anyone expect with inflammatory statements like that?  There can be no expectation of civil discourse when that kind of statement is made.  I can't stand Trump and didn't vote for him and that still doesn't change the fact that 

I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR BULLSHIT POLITICAL OPINION AND I DON'T WANT TO READ IT HERE.

Keep it to yourself.  Or if you just can't manage that bare minimum level of the tiniest shred of self-control, then take it to the Cloak Room with all the other dipshits who love to read and write about this stupid crap.

Thanks in advance

Oops

Edited by BrickHorn
Just saw the edict
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Johns Hopkins shenanigans.

Location of cases no longer visible below the state level with the exception of the boat in Oakland.

The big problem I see here with the differing opinions is stuff like this. You see “shenanigans” and I see a technology scale issue from a group that probably didn’t expect this kind of traffic in their wildest dreams and they are grappling with how to either get in front of it or catch up. Rather than have another complete outage, they removed a layer to the scale requirements, maybe for good maybe temporarily, who knows? You guys that want to proselytize about “exponential growth” and then can’t fathom the actual difficulty academics and bureaucrats have in dealing with it need to get a grip. 

Where many on this thread see partisan conspiracy, some of us are witnessing BAU from the worst and weakest at most levels of governmental bureaucracy, irrespective of politics. The fucking story of the CDC trying to build their own test kit instead of using WHO’s is fiefdom management 101. No conspiracy, as presented for weeks here. Just general ill-fated stupidity and overconfidence followed by ego-driven doubling down of the stupid. Anyone who read the story on that and didn’t see it for what it is, is willfully seeing boogeymen. 

“How does this not get Cloak Roomed?” Remove your fucking illusions that the government exists to add much value, no matter which machine is running it. They’re fucking up testing? No shit. They don’t seem to know how to grapple with this so they’re poo-pooing things and hoping it will fade away? Shocking. You know who else does that? Most humans until they can’t. Expecting more from a group of people with a mean IQ below that of your average unimpressive corporate c-suite is boring folly to witness and see droned on about here. You guys just have a higher base level opinion of the government at every level than many of us who can’t stand the banal political shit. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Next person who says a politicians fucking name in this god damned thread is getting a week off.

DO NOT SAY POLITICIANS NAMES, DO NOT USE POLITICAL PARTIES AS QUALIFIERS OR ADJECTIVES - USE THEIR CURRENT POSITION IN GOVERNMENT ONLY

Examples:
Trump is such a dumbass and got us into this stupid mess and all the democrats that enabled him along the way are fucking part of the problem too!

BANNED

Our POTUS is such a dumbass and got us into this stupid mess and THE SENATE AND HIS CABINET MEMBERS enabled them along the way - the whole government is a mess!

NOT BANNED

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The big problem I see here with the differing opinions is stuff like this. You see “shenanigans” and I see a technology scale issue from a group that probably didn’t expect this kind of traffic in their wildest dreams and they are grappling with how to either get in front of it or catch up. Rather than have another complete outage, they removed a layer to the scale requirements, maybe for good maybe temporarily, who knows? You guys that want to proselytize about “exponential growth” and then can’t fathom the actual difficulty academics and bureaucrats have in dealing with it need to get a grip. 

it's literally what they said happened yesterday - a 3x spike in traffic is huge, and it happened late morning yesterday (when west coast was up/going/at work) 

no shenanigans, just a huge spike in traffic...

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Examples:

BANNED

NOT BANNED

So Anastasis is safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

“How does this not get Cloak Roomed?” Remove your fucking illusions that the government exists to add much value, no matter which machine is running it. They’re fucking up testing? No shit. They don’t seem to know how to grapple with this so they’re poo-pooing things and hoping it will fade away? Shocking. You know who else does that? Most humans until they can’t. Expecting more from a group of people with a mean IQ below that of your average unimpressive corporate c-suite is boring folly to witness and see droned on about here. You guys just have a higher base level opinion of the government at every level than many of us who can’t stand the banal political shit. 

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20090501.001058/full/

• Fuck You 1

This is crucially important and reason for optimism.  Watch the video with explanation to better get it.  Relatively small changes in how many people we come in contact with have major effects on the absolute numbers of those infected. 

Look at the difference in sheer numbers over 61 days when "E" is reduced from 1.15 to 1.05, i.e each infected person is exposed to 1.05 people per day versus 1.15 people.  It's a massive, massive difference for the better , 411k people vs 106M people ---> social distancing, significantly cut the number of physical and close proximity contacts with others per day.  I haven't seen the math behind how long this would have to continue, but China and SoKo are real time evidence that it reverses the curve.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 7.12.19 AM

full vid:

Spoiler

• Like 3

My sisters are educators and medical professionals. I am surprised how nonchalant they are about this. They (so far) are in towns that don't have confirmed CV, and they are very much against closing their school. Would create chaos moving everything online. Web servers can't handle it. Teachers aren't trained on running online classes, and many kids don't have computers.

The pharmacist sister has a Mexico trip scheduled in 3 weeks. It'll be a game time decision, but she's looking forward to going.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

We got an email from the provost yesterday afternoon:

I had just told my students that I didn't expect to see them in person after spring break.

Son just told me 9 in self quarantine. All students who came back from study abroad. I am sure the Square is taking appropriate measures. 

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

So Anastasis is safe.

Jokes on you. 

I self-identity as a politician.  It's really a psychological disorder, but you must respect my identity self-determination none the less.

And you just said my name. 

Therefore the tolerant thing for you to do would be to self ban. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Just now, Anastasis said:

Jokes on you. 

I self-identity as a politician.  It's really a psychological disorder, but you must respect my identity self-determination none the less.

And you just said my name. 

Therefore the tolerant thing for you to do would be to self ban. 

Only if I say it 3 times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

spacer.png

If you read the link it was sound protocols put in place by both the previous president with dark pigmentation and his predecessor who spoke funny that lead to a very good federal response to the swine flu outbreak. 

The response to this outbreak has been abysmal. What has changed from 2005 to 2020? One wonders

• Like 5

Meanwhile, in Seattle...  the grim reaper begins making his rounds at the other elder care facilities in the area.

The death of an 86-year-old Seattle man has been linked to COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, according to his son. 

Kenneth Robert Hunt died Monday, according to a Facebook post by his son, Ken Hunt Jr., of Seattle, and a statement from the Ida Culver House in the Ravenna neighborhood, where Mr. Hunt was a resident.

“At 86 and with his underlying lung and kidney issues, he perfectly fit onto that at-risk population,” Hunt Jr. wrote of his father Monday, “but the shock of him being one of the soonest deaths is staggering.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/seattle-mans-death-linked-to-novel-coronavirus-son-says/

NPR had a lady on last week whose mother was in that same nursing home facility in Kirkland. She couldn't obviously get in to see her because of the quarantine. She was only able to talk to her mom over the phone. She knew it was just a matter of time before her mother got the virus and would die. Saw yesterday that her mom just passed away from COVID-19. That's got to feel very powerless, especially if you needed to put your parent into the facility to ensure their level of care.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

My dentist shook my hand Before sticking his fingers in my mouth so glad to see health professionals are being extra cautious 

Your dentist doesn't use gloves when he's putting his hands in your mouth? What sort of frontier dentist do you go to? Does he use a spitoon? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Son just told me 9 in self quarantine. All students who came back from study abroad. I am sure the Square is taking appropriate measures. 

9 students, 1 faculty.  All had been called back from overseas when they cancelled study abroad.  3 of them showing symptoms.

• Like 1

Just now, mdmost said:

NPR had a lady on last week whose mother was in that same nursing home facility in Kirkland. She couldn't obviously get in to see her because of the quarantine. She was only able to talk to her mom over the phone. She knew it was just a matter of time before her mother got the virus and would die. Saw yesterday that her mom just passed away from COVID-19. That's got to feel very powerless, especially if you needed to put your parent into the facility to ensure their level of care.

Yeah, my mom is adamant about staying in her facility there in Austin.  We're still talking, and I'm making sure she gets information and understands the implications, but she would rather die in her "home" environment than to go through even a temporary move in with family.  If something similar happens closer to home than Seattle, she might budge, but am guessing she's just going to take her chances where she's at.

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Wow, at this point we are at after first case being reported 4K something have been tested, in South Korea at this point it was over 100k...

How can we adequately respond to cases/communities if we don’t have the benefits of accurate and widespread testing results?

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Meanwhile, in Seattle...  the grim reaper begins making his rounds at the other elder care facilities in the area.

The death of an 86-year-old Seattle man has been linked to COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, according to his son. 

Kenneth Robert Hunt died Monday, according to a Facebook post by his son, Ken Hunt Jr., of Seattle, and a statement from the Ida Culver House in the Ravenna neighborhood, where Mr. Hunt was a resident.

I used to live right across the street from the Ravenna Tavern, so this hits close to former home.

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

How can we adequately respond to cases/communities if we don’t have the benefits of accurate and widespread testing results?

Data, science, and facts are not  <<checks notes>> priorities of the current administration.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Where many on this thread see partisan conspiracy, some of us are witnessing BAU from the worst and weakest at most levels of governmental bureaucracy, irrespective of politics. The fucking story of the CDC trying to build their own test kit instead of using WHO’s is fiefdom management 101. No conspiracy, as presented for weeks here. Just general ill-fated stupidity and overconfidence followed by ego-driven doubling down of the stupid. Anyone who read the story on that and didn’t see it for what it is, is willfully seeing boogeymen. 

I read this in the voice of Ron Swanson. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Data, science, and facts are not  <<checks notes>> priorities of the current administration.

Pretty sure you need to make this a compliment sandwich now. Something like this:

The current administration is really great at golf

Data, science, and facts are not <<checks notes>> priorities of the current administration.

The current administration is really smart and good looking

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

9 students, 1 faculty.  All had been called back from overseas when they cancelled study abroad.  3 of them showing symptoms.

Yay????  Told son to go enjoy Spring Break, head back to San Marcos and be a river rat.....  No gym, no square, etc. 

Washington (CNN)President Mack Brown has not been tested for coronavirus despite being in close contact with multiple lawmakers who are now self-quarantining due to their proximity to someone with the virus, the White House said late Monday.

"The President has not received COVID-19 testing because he has neither had prolonged close contact with any known confirmed COVID-19 patients, nor does he have any symptoms. President Brown remains in excellent health, and his physician will continue to closely monitor him," said White House press secretary Sally Brown.
"Per current CDC guidelines, medical professionals should base testing decisions on patient symptoms and exposure history."
Earlier in the day, Vice President Greg Davis said that he did not know whether Brown had been tested.
"I really don't know the answer to the question, but we'll refer that question and we will get you an answer from the White House physician very quickly," Davs, who leads the administration's coronavirus task force, said during a White House press briefing Monday evening.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I think most halfway decent unis will move what they can to online platforms in the next week. My department is freaking out over this. We now have to report personal travel so they can decide if we go into quarantine upon return. They want all events canceled and as much work from home as possible.

Iran Updates:

Gizmodo: Google Pulls Iran's Official Coronavirus App From Play Store

The story was initially reported by ZDNet, which had malware researcher Lukas Stefanko review the app. Stefanko reportedly didn’t find anything particularly fishy in the app’s APK. Gizmodo reached out to Google to ask for an official reason why the app was pulled but didn’t receive an immediate response. Barring any malware, it’s likely that the app—dubbed AC19—was removed due to claims it was able to detect if a person was infected with Covid-19... which common sense would tell you is impossible through a mobile app. Science would also tell you that’s impossible.

and

In particular, the Covid-19 app requested real-time location data that was sent to a remote server. After coronavirus began to spread in Iran, citizens were sent a mass SMS urging them to download the app.

It probably doesn’t help that MJ Azari Jahromi, Iran’s minister of information and communications technology, tweeted the government had the location data of 4 million people who downloaded the AC19 app.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away