Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've been greeting people Bash Brothers style:

bash-2615.jpg

Elbow to elbow!  The next time you cough into your elbow, just make sure you're not making mouth / nose to elbow contact bro.  

I agree with the Japanese bow.  I also read someone suggesting just to simply place your hand gently over your heart.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  I haven't raised it to her, and won't anytime soon, because she can get pretty anxious, but I've got a kiddo in college in Canada.  She's supposed to come home late April.  Looking at likely timelines and talking to some folks with a bit of inside knowledge, we may well be looking at extensive foreign travel bans at that time.  I'm beginning to wonder if we'll have a hard time repatriating her, and if so, what our contingency plans should be (maybe the university will keep a dorm open for stranded students?  Maybe she can stay with one of her local friends, although they aren't in her city -- they are in surrounding provinces), or shit, maybe we spend money and put her up in a hotel for a period.

Just one more thing to worry about.

Buckle up, folks.  There are going to be a lot more tough questions like that one coming our way.

Sent you a PM.

. It's supposed to be less contagious than the flu. Does the flu transmit like that?

Says who? The exponential case rate is higher than flu. The R0 (number of people one person expects to infect) is 2.5 to 3.5 times that of flu. That’s one of the things some of us have been trying to explain to the JUSTTHEFLU crowd while Italy’s health care system collapses into Bolivian.
  • Like 4

So here's some food for thought from statistical reasoning: if trump shakes hands with a person infected with coronavirus, he has a 0.5% chance of becoming infected. No big deal. 

But he goes to a rally in Florida and shakes hands with all the local gomers, and 9 folks in the crowd were infected. His risk just jumped up an order of magnitude to just under 5% (4.88% for you nerds out there). Another day and rally, but it's worse here and he gets exposed to 30 more positive cases at a rally. He's clocking an 18% shot now. 

Every time he comes in contact through completely ignoring health best practices and touching his face a ton, he's creeping his number up and up. Once someone hits over a hundred exposure events it starts to get real likely. Past 140, it's over 50% likely to happen. 

I guess what I'm saying is I think it's a matter of when, not if, trump comes down with it. What say y'all?

• Like 1

So here's some food for thought from statistical reasoning: if trump shakes hands with a person infected with coronavirus, he has a 0.5% chance of becoming infected. No big deal. 
But he goes to a rally in Florida and shakes hands with all the local gomers, and 9 folks in the crowd were infected. His risk just jumped up an order of magnitude to just under 5% (4.88% for you nerds out there). Another day and rally, but it's worse here and he gets exposed to 30 more positive cases at a rally. He's clocking an 18% shot now. 
Every time he comes in contact through completely ignoring health best practices and touching his face a ton, he's creeping his number up and up. Once someone hits over a hundred exposure events it starts to get real likely. Past 140, it's over 50% likely to happen. 
I guess what I'm saying is I think it's a matter of when, not if, trump comes down with it. What say y'all?

To be frank, I think he has it now, but they’d never tell us if that was the case... though some brave soul might leak that information.

24 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

4 feet tall or 4 years old? Jesus

I pulled that picture off her facebook, and given how skinny she is it was probably taken before her Filipino boyfriend got her pregnant, which means she was most likely 16 in the picture. I did not know her then. She is not any taller but is chubbier and looks older now.

5 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I pulled that picture off her facebook, and given how skinny she is it was probably taken before her Filipino boyfriend got her pregnant, which means she was most likely 16 in the picture. I did not know her then. She is not any taller but is chubbier and looks older now.

Chubbier?  Vic’s ears perked up all the way from the Cowboys thread 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I would be surprised if they aren’t checking temps at his rallies going forward.    And I doubt he shakes that many hands of the randos at his rallies - he is a germaphobe of sorts.    But then you have Matt Gaetz saying he blew it off.   

finally caught up at 11fucking09pm.

NO ONE here caught the orange man during the 530 national news.  all the banksters are having a summit with orange man in the WAR ROOM on wednesday.  help for everyman on the table.  stipends to help(?) pay for (??) lost hourly wages for anyone that needs to quarantine.

the economist says the fed will cut rates again at it's next meeting.  but then what leverage will be left?  go negative interest like denmark?

geddy thinks the plan is print money.  inflate inflate.

apropo of nothing, caches of certain items are still around, oblivious to those surrounding them.  anyone with the guile to see through my words pm me if you are short something.

the chinese bus diagram, plus this 180 on asympotmatics..... puzzle pieces are missing.

#FLATTENTHEFUCKINGCURVE

#SOCIALDISTANCINGWORKS

original thought of the day: announce that this generation will all require an extra half-year to finish school.   halt school NOW.  resume in September.  use the school cafeterias to manufacture nutrition delivered to any child who needs it.  get creative on the "school is free day care" issue.

hang seng +2% on orange man bankster news, plus vlad and salman appear to have backed off and oil is up.

it is within our power to put the world back together.  but "us" requires the 1% to surrender now what they hoped to stop Bern taking from them.

the prior statements were not political, simply an observation of facts by someone who has not voted since 1984.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Politics aside, I’m curious at what point governments will start isolating their leaders. It would be a pretty bad look for a first world country to have their president die from this.

Must....resist...Cloak Room...

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

NO ONE here caught the orange man during the 530 national news.  all the banksters are having a summit with orange man in the WAR ROOM on wednesday.  help for everyman on the table.  stipends to help(?) pay for (??) lost hourly wages for anyone that needs to quarantine.

the economist says the fed will cut rates again at it's next meeting.  but then what leverage will be left?  go negative interest like denmark?

apropo of nothing, caches of certain items are still around, oblivious to those surrounding them.  anyone with the guile to see through my words pm me if you are short something.

the chinese bus diagram, plus this 180 on asympotmatics..... puzzle pieces are missing.

#FLATTENTHEFUCKINGCURVE

#SOCIALDISTANCINGWORKS

original thought of the day: announce that this generation will all require an extra half-year to finish school.   halt school NOW.  resume in September.  use the school cafeterias to manufacture nutrition delivered to any child who needs it.  get creative on the "school is free day care" issue.

hang seng +2% on orange man bankster news, plus vlad and salman appear to have backed off and oil is up.

it is within our power to put the world back together.  but "us" requires the 1% to surrender now what they hoped to stop Bern taking from them.

the prior statements were not political, simply an observation of facts by someone who has not voted since 1984.

I watched an interview with one of the Saudi ministers today on CNBC.  One thing that was fairly intriguing that he mentioned was how much the last price war increased  real demand.   To the tune of 8-9mmb/d.  

#FLATTENTHEFUCKINGCURVE
#SOCIALDISTANCINGWORKS

It’s a trap!
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

ray dog: they all look the same, and they are too small, too short, and have no tits.

show me a 5'7" with tits.

carry on.

The average Filipina is about 4'10", so 5'7" is unusual.  If you are checking out a 5'7" woman on walking street it is probably a ladyboy. I tend to stick with women 5'2" or less just to be safe. If they have more than a B cup they are going to be pretty thick everywhere. Some guys are into that.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Going to the valley this weekend, interested to see what the atmosphere is like. There’s not a whole lot that scares people down there, should be a good time to get cleaning stuff that’s harder to find in SA. 

The shelves are just as empty as San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. Best time to get any sort of supply is after 11pm at H-E-B or first thing in the morning when they open (if they open). I think the media scare has impacted nationwide at this point.

The shelves are just as empty as San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. Best time to get any sort of supply is after 11pm at H-E-B or first thing in the morning when they open (if they open). I think the media scare has impacted nationwide at this point.

Or go to dollar stores in the hood where they don’t panic as much plus they usually wait until the very last minute to stock up.

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You've said this, and I'm not trying to come at you because I think you brought up some valid points in your prior posts about the smoking thing. However, they and Iran are roughly average for cigarette smoking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita
Maybe the old people smoke more (as with most countries). I don't know, haven't made it to Italy yet.
But all said, if we see similar mortality rates here within those advanced age groups, it's going to create an enormous burden on our healthcare system that's likely to break it, at least in a lot of places. So I mean even if you and I are safe, these mortality rates for older people are going to make this unlike anything we've ever seen, both in pure body count and in what it does to our infrastructure.

Yep. And what if you or your kid get in a bad accident or have a stroke or heart attack or any medical emergency and end up at a hospital with capacity at 200% and half the health care providers in quarantine?

There’s lots of ancillary dangers that will be threats to folks outside of just the virus.

In other “Alabama is fucking stupid” news.....I work at our county’s main hospital. Non profit and public so we take everyone. Part of my job is physician relations so I spend 3-4 days a week visiting every affiliated physician office and the rest of my week in the hospital, so I will probably have a high risk of exposure.

This was in an actual physician’s office in a town about 45 minutes from here - not one of my docs but I was a pharma rep for 15 years prior to working for the hospital and I still have lots of friends in the pharma game. My former partner sent me this picture today -

62b90a363ced42c9db215b02264935cc.jpg

Now, this little town is really fucking backwards even for Alabama. They have the highest per capita rate of opioid prescriptions in the state and have had multiple physicians and pharmacists arrested over the years. One practice was a father and son practice and the father was sleeping with his son’s wife so the son shot his father in his crotch with a shotgun at their practice during the middle of the work day.

Anyway, this sign wasn’t in some dinky DO FP or chiropractor’s office - this was in a gotdamn pulmonologist’s waiting room.

It’s just unbelievable that there are actual medical doctors spouting this crap.

I told my partner I’m sending the picture and a formal complaint to the ALBME. And I may send it to the local news station too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Nothing CR about that question. I was thinking about that today.

I didnt pay attention to this type of stuff when I was younger but has a world leader of significance died of something like this?

William Henry Harrison died from pneumonia contracted from giving his inauguration speech in a cold driving rain.  Not pandemic but similar. 

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

What about your Dr friend in Arlington ?? Has he/she done any heart transplants on corona virus patients today?

They treated 3 Asians for covid19 that day. He swears by it and isn't the type to bullshit. Given how the CDC has fucked everything up here I have zero doubt. 

53 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Nothing CR about that question. I was thinking about that today.

I didnt pay attention to this type of stuff when I was younger but has a world leader of significance died of something like this?

The Spanish Flu was so named because the Spanish King got it and because Spain didn't have censorship since they were neutral

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

They treated 3 Asians for covid19 that day. He swears by it and isn't the type to bullshit. Given how the CDC has fucked everything up here I have zero doubt. 

let me guess, it was in a porta potty

56 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I swear, I must be using toilet paper wrong all of these years. I could stock my entire house up with canned goods, and buy ONE Costco-sized TP pack, and I guarantee that I'd run out of food first.

Are they using it as bed linens? Are they assuming that cannibalism shits are going to be the worst shits? I'm so confused.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yep. And what if you or your kid get in a bad accident or have a stroke or heart attack or any medical emergency and end up at a hospital with capacity at 200% and half the health care providers in quarantine?

There’s lots of ancillary dangers that will be threats to folks outside of just the virus.

In other “Alabama is fucking stupid” news.....I work at our county’s main hospital. Non profit and public so we take everyone. Part of my job is physician relations so I spend 3-4 days a week visiting every affiliated physician office and the rest of my week in the hospital, so I will probably have a high risk of exposure.

This was in an actual physician’s office in a town about 45 minutes from here - not one of my docs but I was a pharma rep for 15 years prior to working for the hospital and I still have lots of friends in the pharma game. My former partner sent me this picture today -

62b90a363ced42c9db215b02264935cc.jpg

Now, this little town is really fucking backwards even for Alabama. They have the highest per capita rate of opioid prescriptions in the state and have had multiple physicians and pharmacists arrested over the years. One practice was a father and son practice and the father was sleeping with his son’s wife so the son shot his father in his crotch with a shotgun at their practice during the middle of the work day.

None of that means anything to do with the virus but just gives you an idea of what this town’s medical community is like and it’s a super Trumpy place. It’s also one of the only counties Roy Moore won too.

Anyway, this sign wasn’t in some dinky DO FP or chiropractor’s office - this was in a gotdamn pulmonologist’s waiting room.

It’s just unbelievable that there are actual medical doctors spouting this crap.

I told my partner I’m sending the picture and a formal complaint to the ALBME. And I may send it to the local news station too.

You gone get shot.  🤧

Edited by Bullneck

42 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Tell us more, Dr. Maga.

Did something upset you? It’s not bad advice. Panic is not helpful and a bunch of talking heads enumerating on a topic they have no expertise in should try not to stoke fear. 

It is one thing to be an “expert” on politics where if you know some rules and whose side believes what you can have an opinion. Virology is not like politics. 

So be a peach a keep politics out of this thread. And if you find that so difficult to do then some introspection may he needed. With the upcoming potential self quarantine there will be plenty of time for it. 

• Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away