Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Not buying that this was hanging on a Dr’a office that you just happen to know in Alabama.  I’ve already seen it running around on Facebook and other message boards since over the weekend.  

I never saw it - a friend sent it to me and said they saw it and now I’ve seen it on Twitter as misinformation.

My bad for not researching it before also spreading it.

I figured if a real life friend sent it to me and said “Look what I saw” that I could trust it.

The misinformation and nuttiness going around is real on both sides.

Seriously, I apologize for not fact checking before posting.

NPR had a lady on last week whose mother was in that same nursing home facility in Kirkland. She couldn't obviously get in to see her because of the quarantine. She was only able to talk to her mom over the phone. She knew it was just a matter of time before her mother got the virus and would die. Saw yesterday that her mom just passed away from COVID-19. That's got to feel very powerless, especially if you needed to put your parent into the facility to ensure their level of care.

Was that the lady who’s mother had a knee surgery she was recovering from? She said the staff let her see her mom through the outside window of the room?

If so that’s pretty sad because the lady I’m thinking of didn’t have reason to believe her mother was infected at the time of the interview. Amazing how quickly it can turn from sort of okay to dead.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:47 PM, closetojumping said:

That’s a bullshit take. You sound like someone cushioned by a middle level salary in a bloated corporation or government entity. Putting start-ups and small businesses together is hard fucking work and risky as hell.

Your view, which I see espoused by critics who’ve never taken a risk in their life, is either naive or bitter. Early stage businesses can be fragile, like children. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t exist.

Restaurants and bars are often a labor of love and life for the investors and entrepreneurs. Every foodie and fan of good experiences and service should be saddened by this stuff. When you’re left with a bunch of fucking Landry’s chains, Chili’s, Red Lobster and fast food joints, I’m sure you and the city of Austin will remain very smug in your satisfaction of staving off the next addition to the common cold. 

Username checks out.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I'm an entrepreneur and small business owner myself.  Hinging your business on the existence of a single event upon which you have zero control is an unsustainable business model.  I won't apologize for stating a fact.  As I said before, I feel bad for the humans involved but businesses on ground that shaky are doomed to go under.  I don't have sympathy for the business itself.  I'm sorry if my take hurts someone's feelings, but I stand by it.

Restaurants and bars are high risk whether or not something like SXSW is involved, and naturally go under all the time.  There will always be another to take their place.  Not sure where your rant about chain restaurants is coming from, although it's clearly tied to something emotional.  I don't think for one second SXSW being cancelled will spell the end of locally owned restaurants in Austin.  That already happened thanks to out of control commercial rent prices, and it's a damn shame. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I never saw it - a friend sent it to me and said they saw it and now I’ve seen it on Twitter as misinformation.

I figured if a real life friend sent it to me and said “Look what I saw” that I could trust it.

FW: FW: FW: FW:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

No big deal.  Wasn't trying to launch an assault at you by any means.  I just have become numb to seeing things like this and hearing "look what I saw at my Dr.'s Office" or, look what I saw walking down the street or some shit.  It's like "breh, there ain't no damn mountains in Waco, TX, you didn't see that shit walking down the street, you saw that shit on facebook."  

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Username checks out.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I'm an entrepreneur and small business owner myself.  Hinging your business on the existence of a single event upon which you have zero control is an unsustainable business model.  I won't apologize for stating a fact.  As I said before, I feel bad for the humans involved but businesses on ground that shaky are doomed to go under.  I don't have sympathy for the business itself.  I'm sorry if my take hurts someone's feelings, but I stand by it.

Restaurants and bars are high risk whether or not something like SXSW is involved, and naturally go under all the time.  There will always be another to take their place.  Not sure where your rant about chain restaurants is coming from, although it's clearly tied to something emotional.  I don't think for one second SXSW being cancelled will spell the end of locally owned restaurants in Austin.  That already happened thanks to out of control commercial rent prices, and it's a damn shame. 

That's quite the delay for a retort. You're wrong completely, but you seem pretty comfortable on the high horse, so enjoy the ride. 

No one said anything about hinging a business on a single event. The issue is that the single event plays a role in profits and operations that cannot be ignored. These places have to stock up in order to handle demand. Demand disappearing overnight and right before the event is a problem, and would be for anyone, anywhere.

Austin Beer Works allegedly has 100 kegs of a specific beer ordered for the SXSW festivities and now nowhere for it to go. Were they irresponsible business people for preparing for an event that is now cancelled and left them holding the bag on a large inventory build-up? It looks like your answer will be "yes, they should be omniscient". 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Japan closed all schools right away until April at earliest.  What else are they doing ?

As someone who has been to both Japan and Italy, Japan is VERY clean, especially considering the density.  They also don’t touch each other and not much sexin’ going on.  Meanwhile, if New Orleans were a country, it would be Italy:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's quite the delay for a retort. You're wrong completely, but you seem pretty comfortable on the high horse, so enjoy the ride. 

No one said anything about hinging a business on a single event. The issue is that the single event plays a role in profits and operations that cannot be ignored. These places have to stock up in order to handle demand. Demand disappearing overnight and right before the event is a problem, and would be for anyone, anywhere.

Austin Beer Works allegedly has 100 kegs of a specific beer ordered for the SXSW festivities and now nowhere for it to go. Were they irresponsible business people for preparing for an event that is now cancelled and left them holding the bag on a large inventory build-up? It looks like your answer will be "yes, they should be omniscient". 

So we should put ourselves at risk of illness and possibly death to ourselves or our family members to support these small businesses?

• Like 1

So this is from a FB friend who I went to jr. high with, not some random FB forward.  Dude was a brainiac (as were most of the kids at that school).  So I take his insight with some credibility.

Dropping some knowledge - Whod’ve thunk that my years pointlessly studying in the bowels of Laboratories of EPIDEMIOLOGY and Public Health at Yale School of Medicine and getting a near useless MPH would have actually resulted in any real world utility?! 1f609.png😉 … So now, for those few of you who care about what an actual Epidemiologist and Statistician with decades of work in health data science/big data has to say about CoVID-19, please listen up

CoVID-19 is a zoonotic coronavirus … really, the only numbers most folks need to concern themselves with are CFR and R0 - all the rest of the stats are for dweeb/nerds/data wonks like me 1f609.png😉 … CoVID-19 has an undetermined CFR (Case Fatality Rate - ”how many out of 100 who get it are going to die”) and R0 (R Nought – “infective potential”) … as such, precaution is warranted, hysteria is not … Global Public Health authorities think that CoVID-19 has a CFR around 3.4 and an R0 of around 2.2 – that is not good, but not the zombie apocalypse on a relative basis ... CENSORED CONTENT BECAUSE POLITICS .. once the CDC releases testing that can definitively diagnose the prevalence of disease, we're going to see that the denominator ("who has the disease") is going to be order of magnitude larger than what is currently reported, thus the CFR will be far lower … as a reference: Influenza – CFR=~.2 and R0=~1.5, Ebola - CFR=52-90 (based on strain), R0=18, HIV(untreated) – CFR=~94, R0 (sexual contact)= 2.5 … you can look up these values for most diseases and see that CoVID-19 rates fairly low on the deadly/infective analysis

You can't trust the reporting from China at all ... Korea, Iran and Italy seem to have a version of CoVID-19 that has a higher CFR than the one in Wuhan, but that is likely due to better diagnostic testing and truthful reporting than any difference in the underlying disease ("segmentation") ... When we get reporting out of Africa and India, its going to be a unmitigated shitshow ... the WORLD is going to need ingenuity to rush a vaccine to market ... meditation, herbs and prayers aren't going to do it

Based on the disease profiling so far, we are ALL going to get this infection unless we find an effective vaccine – full stop … it would be nice if our leaders understood that "Health Care for some" is sort of pointless in the face of Pandemic disease like this … self quarantine, hand washing and recs to stop touching your face are just a speed bump and will slow the transmission, but we will nearly all get this eventually … Nursing homes are going to be an unmitigated horrorshow - reporting seems to indicate a CFR of 22+ in 80+ yo populations?!! ... CoVID-19 is going to kill many more than Influenza and is likely to become a endemic seasonal disease - sorry ... Mother Earth (and Pangolins) have had enough

What is worrisome is the Public Health response that is increasing the CoVID-19 CFR … what you DO NOT WANT TO DO with a Coronavirus, is assemble folks with a wide variety of underlying infections (e.g. TB, Malaria, Ebola, Dengue, Yellow Fever, etc…) into large quarantined populations and let CoVID-19 run its course- E.g Chinese Wuhan effort … the CoVID-19 virus can pick up gene snippets from these underlying chronic diseases and become deadlier ... thus you want to be infected with CoVID-19 1.0, you want to avoid CoVID-19 4.0

Stay tuned

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Another issue that's overlooked is that for most downtown music venues and bars, their leases include a 200-300% bump in rent for March since landlords know that's when the money's made.  Now there's no bump in income but that inflated March rent is still due.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

My dentist shook my hand Before sticking his fingers in my mouth so glad to see health professionals are being extra cautious 

He's a dentist. He wants to maximize the chances he infects you.

dentist GIF

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think his point was more that these business should be able to handle an unexpected financial rainy day. 

I don't want to make this a "look at me" but I also am a very small business owner and I'd start thinking about getting my resume in order if I didn't have enough cash to keep me afloat for at least six months with no additional revenue.

I get that the service industry runs tight margins, but ABW should be able to handle the loss of ten grand worth of product with it barely even registering. I assume they can. The businesses that have solid financial models and foundations are going to be fine, for the most part. The exception being very new businesses who haven't had time to build up cash reserves yet. It does suck for them.

Edited by BradInATX

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So this is from a FB friend who I went to jr. high with, not some random FB forward.  Dude was a brainiac (as were most of the kids at that school).  So I take his insight with some credibility.

I'd give pos rep, but apparently I'm tapped out.  If you've got older loved ones, now might be a good time to give them a call.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Dropping some knowledge - Whod’ve thunk that my years pointlessly studying in the bowels of Laboratories of EPIDEMIOLOGY and Public Health at Yale School of Medicine and getting a near useless MPH would have actually resulted in any real world utility?! 1f609.png … So now, for those few of you who care about what an actual Epidemiologist and Statistician with decades of work in health data science/big data has to say about CoVID-19, please listen up

CoVID-19 is a zoonotic coronavirus … really, the only numbers most folks need to concern themselves with are CFR and R0 - all the rest of the stats are for dweeb/nerds/data wonks like me 1f609.png … CoVID-19 has an undetermined CFR (Case Fatality Rate - ”how many out of 100 who get it are going to die”) and R0 (R Nought – “infective potential”) … as such, precaution is warranted, hysteria is not … Global Public Health authorities think that CoVID-19 has a CFR around 3.4 and an R0 of around 2.2 – that is not good, but not the zombie apocalypse on a relative basis ... CENSORED BECAUSE POLITICS .. once the CDC releases testing that can definitively diagnose the prevalence of disease, we're going to see that the denominator ("who has the disease") is going to be order of magnitude larger than what is currently reported, thus the CFR will be far lower … as a reference: Influenza – CFR=~.2 and R0=~1.5, Ebola - CFR=52-90 (based on strain), R0=18, HIV(untreated) – CFR=~94, R0 (sexual contact)= 2.5 … you can look up these values for most diseases and see that CoVID-19 rates fairly low on the deadly/infective analysis

You can't trust the reporting from China at all ... Korea, Iran and Italy seem to have a version of CoVID-19 that has a higher CFR than the one in Wuhan, but that is likely due to better diagnostic testing and truthful reporting than any difference in the underlying disease ("segmentation") ... When we get reporting out of Africa and India, its going to be a unmitigated shitshow ... the WORLD is going to need ingenuity to rush a vaccine to market ... meditation, herbs and prayers aren't going to do it

Based on the disease profiling so far, we are ALL going to get this infection unless we find an effective vaccine – full stop … it would be nice if our leaders understood that "Health Care for some" is sort of pointless in the face of Pandemic disease like this … self quarantine, hand washing and recs to stop touching your face are just a speed bump and will slow the transmission, but we will nearly all get this eventually … Nursing homes are going to be an unmitigated horrorshow - reporting seems to indicate a CFR of 22+ in 80+ yo populations?!! ... CoVID-19 is going to kill many more than Influenza and is likely to become a endemic seasonal disease - sorry ... Mother Earth (and Pangolins) have had enough

What is worrisome is the Public Health response that is increasing the CoVID-19 CFR … what you DO NOT WANT TO DO with a Coronavirus, is assemble folks with a wide variety of underlying infections (e.g. TB, Malaria, Ebola, Dengue, Yellow Fever, etc…) into large quarantined populations and let CoVID-19 run its course- E.g Chinese Wuhan effort … the CoVID-19 virus can pick up gene snippets from these underlying chronic diseases and become deadlier ... thus you want to be infected with CoVID-19 1.0, you want to avoid CoVID-19 4.0

Stay tuned

So don’t buy into the hysteria but a lot of our elders are going to die. Got it.

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Exactly.  It takes the better part of a month to just cover your tracks in build up for just the onslaught of an event like SXSW.  It is year round planning otherwise.  Many places will do 15-25% of their annual business for an event like that in 1 week.  Margins are razor thin to begin with in the restaurant/bar business, and taking a hit like that will leave people to breaking even at very best for the year (and that's after they have to sell a bunch of inventory off at discounted prices just to get it off the shelves).  

Edited by Trey3216

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So don’t buy into the hysteria but a lot of our elders are going to die. Got it.

And every single person on the planet will get this infection. Not sure I believe that. 

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Dropping some knowledge - Whod’ve thunk that my years pointlessly studying in the bowels of Laboratories of EPIDEMIOLOGY and Public Health at Yale School of Medicine and getting a near useless MPH would have actually resulted in any real world utility?! 1f609.png😉 … So now, for those few of you who care about what an actual Epidemiologist and Statistician with decades of work in health data science/big data has to say about CoVID-19, please listen up

CoVID-19 is a zoonotic coronavirus … really, the only numbers most folks need to concern themselves with are CFR and R0 - all the rest of the stats are for dweeb/nerds/data wonks like me 1f609.png😉 … CoVID-19 has an undetermined CFR (Case Fatality Rate - ”how many out of 100 who get it are going to die”) and R0 (R Nought – “infective potential”) … as such, precaution is warranted, hysteria is not … Global Public Health authorities think that CoVID-19 has a CFR around 3.4 and an R0 of around 2.2 – that is not good, but not the zombie apocalypse on a relative basis ... also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but Trump is prolly right about the CFR being lower (although he has no idea what a CFR is) ..

Capture.jpg

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Your dentist doesn't use gloves when he's putting his hands in your mouth? What sort of frontier dentist do you go to? Does he use a spitoon? 

We're very close. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm a charitable type, so I'd be willing to provide a home for some of these soon to be orphaned kegs of beer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

So we should put ourselves at risk of illness and possibly death to ourselves or our family members to support these small businesses?

Huh? You are late to the discussion and missing important elements of the back and forth. Either read something from the start and get informed, or stay the fuck out of the subthread. No one said anything about canceling SXSW being stupid. It doesn't mean it doesn't suck for a bunch of people, specifically hospitality-based businesses throughout Austin. You just made a low-information post and added zero value. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Another issue that's overlooked is that for most downtown music venues and bars, their leases include a 200-300% bump in rent for March since landlords know that's when the money's made.  Now there's no bump in income but that inflated March rent is still due.

What kind of lease has an escalator like that for one month?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm the one that mentioned businesses that hinge their success on a single event.  So you (and others) were responding to a ghost argument.  Congrats on moving the goal post to squeeze your point in there, I guess.  Of course a single large event can have a major impact on any business, but sustainable businesses are prepared to weather such events even if they  do significant damage to the bottom line.

ABW doesn't fit the description of what I was talking about at all, and they've been around long enough and had enough success that I assume they understand risk mitigation. I doubt seriously that those 100 kegs are going to put them out of business.  That doesn't mean it won't hurt. Shit happens, and good business owners know this and plan accordingly. 

If your business can't handle a single setback (even a large one) and survive, you don't really have a business but rather a hustle.  It's no different than having a large chunk of your revenue come from a single customer.  If you can't survive if they stop doing business with you tomorrow you only have a business because they're allowing you to have one.  Nothing wrong with that if you accept it for what it is, but no one should be surprised when it goes tits up.  A well run business would have sought to balance out its revenue sources prior to disaster striking.

I didn't write anything particularly controversial.  You just clearly chose to read something into it that wasn't there, as evidenced by your ABW example.  Although, if I wasn't an asshole on a high horse I wouldn't be posting on shaggy - so you're at least half right.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I think his point was more that these business should be able to handle an unexpected financial rainy day. 

I don't want to make this a "look at me" but I also am a very small business owner and I'd start thinking about getting my resume in order if I didn't have enough cash to keep me afloat for at least six months with no additional revenue.

I get that the service industry runs tight margins, but ABW should be able to handle the loss of ten grand worth of product with it barely even registering. I assume they can. The businesses that have solid financial models and foundations are going to be fine, for the most part. The exception being very new businesses who haven't had time to build up cash reserves yet. It does suck for them.

BradinATX gets it. 

I think closetojumping just needed to go on a tirade and didn't bother with whether or not what I wrote merited it.  It was going to happen anyway.  I don't know if he's a business owner or works for a small business, or maybe just has friends/family who do, but I can understand folks being emotional when shit is about to hit the fan.  

• Like 1

Sooooo....Any actual news?  Here's what I know:

Markets appear to be in either a stabilization or a really small dead cat bounce. The CD Director said we don't need to care about China anymore - it's about 1% of new cases.  We need to care about Europe and we're not closing that off.  He also said "there's not enough equipment, there's not enough people, there's not enough internal capacity" to handle this.  Oh, and Broadway's on sale!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

BradinATX gets it. 

I think closetojumping just needed to go on a tirade and didn't bother with whether or not what I wrote merited it.  It was going to happen anyway.  I don't know if he's a business owner or works for a small business, or maybe just has friends/family who do, but I can understand folks being emotional when shit is about to hit the fan.  

I've found, anecdotally, that a lot of small business owners perceive the finish line of "I've made it, I can start taking a bunch of cash out of the business" as being closer than it really is. 

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

My sisters are educators and medical professionals. I am surprised how nonchalant they are about this. They (so far) are in towns that don't have confirmed CV, and they are very much against closing their school. Would create chaos moving everything online. Web servers can't handle it. Teachers aren't trained on running online classes, and many kids don't have computers.

The pharmacist sister has a Mexico trip scheduled in 3 weeks. It'll be a game time decision, but she's looking forward to going.

The problem with my school is that I'm pretty sure about 3 of the 17 I have would put any type of effort into learning via tech.  I'm not blaming the kids.  I just only get homework from about 5 each day and that's with candy bribes.  4 of 17 came to parent-teacher mtgs last month.

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? You are late to the discussion and missing important elements of the back and forth. Either read something from the start and get informed, or stay the fuck out of the subthread. No one said anything about canceling SXSW being stupid. It doesn't mean it doesn't suck for a bunch of people, specifically hospitality-based businesses throughout Austin. You just made a low-information post and added zero value. Thanks.

Well if we're talking about added value from posts you might consider posting less.

I never said anything about canceling SXSW being stupid, either.  Since this isn't the CR thread I can't talk about ideas that might soften the blow for small businesses when things like this happen.  Sorry for bristling your sensitive feelings.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away