Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Work is close to saying just work from home. I need to decide between outside Mason and Jackson Hole to hole up for awhile. Leaning toward west Texas for now. Somehow the internet is better. 

Godspeed surly. 

I guess that just means you'll have to... telegraph it?

Screenshot_116.jpg

• Like 6

@HenryJames no you don’t have to listen anyone and especially that guy. The only thing worse then non experts opining is probably a perceived expert (someone with a MD after their name) who politicizes this.

I should not have singled you out. The last day or so the cloaking of this thread by some is annoying to say the least. 

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Yep. And what if you or your kid get in a bad accident or have a stroke or heart attack or any medical emergency and end up at a hospital with capacity at 200% and half the health care providers in quarantine?

There’s lots of ancillary dangers that will be threats to folks outside of just the virus.

In other “Alabama is fucking stupid” news.....I work at our county’s main hospital. Non profit and public so we take everyone. Part of my job is physician relations so I spend 3-4 days a week visiting every affiliated physician office and the rest of my week in the hospital, so I will probably have a high risk of exposure.

This was in an actual physician’s office in a town about 45 minutes from here - not one of my docs but I was a pharma rep for 15 years prior to working for the hospital and I still have lots of friends in the pharma game. My former partner sent me this picture today -

62b90a363ced42c9db215b02264935cc.jpg

Now, this little town is really fucking backwards even for Alabama. They have the highest per capita rate of opioid prescriptions in the state and have had multiple physicians and pharmacists arrested over the years. One practice was a father and son practice and the father was sleeping with his son’s wife so the son shot his father in his crotch with a shotgun at their practice during the middle of the work day.

None of that means anything to do with the virus but just gives you an idea of what this town’s medical community is like and it’s a super Trumpy place. It’s also one of the only counties Roy Moore won too.

Anyway, this sign wasn’t in some dinky DO FP or chiropractor’s office - this was in a gotdamn pulmonologist’s waiting room.

It’s just unbelievable that there are actual medical doctors spouting this crap.

I told my partner I’m sending the picture and a formal complaint to the ALBME. And I may send it to the local news station too.

Not buying that this was hanging on a Dr’a office that you just happen to know in Alabama.  I’ve already seen it running around on Facebook and other message boards since over the weekend.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

@HenryJames no you don’t have to listen anyone and especially that guy. The only thing worse then non experts opining is probably a perceived expert (someone with a MD after their name) who politicizes this.

I should not have singled you out. The last day or so the cloaking of this thread by some is annoying to say the least. 

No harm. It's just getting really hard to separate politics from this.

40 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Did something upset you? It’s not bad advice. Panic is not helpful and a bunch of talking heads enumerating on a topic they have no expertise in should try not to stoke fear. 

It is one thing to be an “expert” on politics where if you know some rules and whose side believes what you can have an opinion. Virology is not like politics. 

So be a peach a keep politics out of this thread. And if you find that so difficult to do then some introspection may he needed. With the upcoming potential self quarantine there will be plenty of time for it. 

What’re the odds ole’ Dr Maga is a virologist? There’s a lot of different doctors, and most probably shouldn’t be spouting off definitive things unless it’s about hygiene and habits in this context. See the post from bama chick above. Or Dr. Oz. He’s a doctor right?

i took a semester of engineering calculus in college. You don’t want me building a bridge or giving my thoughts on engineering with any authority.

Edited by SydneyCarton
I see you basically beat me to the punch about I see you beat me to the punch on expertise above.

What do you consider cloaking the thread? There wasn't any discussion of the politics, just the brass tacks reality of what's going on. 

You can't talk about a pandemic as a current event without talking about how it's being responded to. And when the people (or person) ultimately responsible for that were telling us that it's all overblown a couple weeks ago while their experts said the opposite, that's not an important thing to how it will actually affect people?

Our current big idea to fix CV19 is a fucking tax cut. That's not gonna do dick for health outcomes, and it shouldn't be political to say that

• Like 5

8 hours ago, RayDog said:

Forgive me. I forgot the 4 footer.

spacer.png

And her birthday is December 23, 2000 and she has a 2 year old.

Salamat, Po!

I saw three marriages collapse and know of two kids conceived who were conceived out of wedlock by guys traveling there for my employer back when I worked closely with, and traveled to, the Phils in 07-08.  Had my share of good times but am forever grateful I was smart...and single.  

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We’re going to be at Disneyland/Cali Adventure, at the LaBrea tar pits, we’re going to be all over Universal Studios

I can imagine you doing the Howard Dean fist pump and saying "BYAH" after all this heh

giphy.gif

...WE ARE GOING TO GO TO NASHVILLE, AND CHARLESTON AND PORTLAND AND WE'RE GOING TO NEW ORLEANS AND CHICAGO AND DENVER AND SANTA FE! .........BYAH!!!!!!!!!!

(context for those of you who are not aware of this: http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj0/the-opposition-with-jordan-klepper-welcome-to-the-opposition-w--jordan-klepper/glotfh)

Edited by NoName
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

When is large scale testing suppose to begin? I'm sure someone has asked and it's been answered but this thread moves pretty quick. Thanks in advance 

great news! /s

per CDC yesterday there were 21 tests conducted in the US and 0 done by the CDC (last 3 days are 0 actually)

there is no reason the tests at the state level should go 585 - 758 - 750 - 800 - 525 - 261 - 22 over the last 7 days. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing-in-us.html

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

JFC there's been plenty of cloaking in this thread that's not related at all to a planned response to the outbreak.  

Broadbrush painting entire groups of people as being backwoods and stupid and therefore "Trumpy"-- as one poster did above-- is the absolute definition of cloaking up this thread.  I mean, what kind of responses does anyone expect with inflammatory statements like that?  There can be no expectation of civil discourse when that kind of statement is made.  I can't stand Trump and didn't vote for him and that still doesn't change the fact that 

I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR BULLSHIT POLITICAL OPINION AND I DON'T WANT TO READ IT HERE.

Keep it to yourself.  Or if you just can't manage that bare minimum level of the tiniest shred of self-control, then take it to the Cloak Room with all the other dipshits who love to read and write about this stupid crap.

Thanks in advance.

You misspelled one hundred. 

37 minutes ago, NoName said:

I can imagine you doing the Howard Dean fist pump and saying "BYAH" after all this heh

giphy.gif

...WE ARE GOING TO GO TO NASHVILLE, AND CHARLESTON AND PORTLAND AND WE'RE GOING TO NEW ORLEANS AND CHICAGO AND DENVER AND SANTA FE! .........BYAH!!!!!!!!!!

(context for those of you who are not aware of this: http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/kw3fj0/the-opposition-with-jordan-klepper-welcome-to-the-opposition-w--jordan-klepper/glotfh)

Ha, it was actually a nod to Frank Costanza heading to Del Boca Vista. SydneyCarton actually still does the Howard Dean yell every time Texas turns the ball over. It’s mildly entertaining. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, NoName said:

great news! /s

per CDC yesterday there were 21 tests conducted in the US and 0 done by the CDC (last 3 days are 0 actually)

there is no reason the tests at the state level should go 585 - 758 - 750 - 800 - 525 - 261 - 22 over the last 7 days. 

Wow. So are we just giving up on this and hoping for the best? 

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I honestly am not seeing all that much CR unless you think “I think the President is downplaying this to a dangerous degree” and “the government is mishandling this IMO” are CR-worthy comments.  There have been some CR-worthy takes here and there, but not much. 

I’m curious how much of this “take it to CR” shit is really “I disagree and I don’t want to argue about it.”

Go read utee94's post on page 183. The surly hive mind/group think is in full effect on this entire thread.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

48 minutes ago, NoName said:

great news! /s

Whew, that’s a relief.  Outbreak over.  Booking cruise to Italy.  Resuming touching myself.

7 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I honestly am not seeing all that much CR unless you think “I think the President is downplaying this to a dangerous degree” and “the government is mishandling this IMO” are CR-worthy comments.  There have been some CR-worthy takes here and there, but not much. 

I’m curious how much of this “take it to CR” shit is really “I disagree and I don’t want to argue about it.”

The example I gave had nothing to do with how the president, or any government agent or agency, is handling the event.  It was obviously CR bullshit and it was also obviously completely unnecessary and undesired on this forum.  I didn't bother to document every single instance, but there have been many.

I don't agree with many/most/all things the Federal government is doing and saying right now.  And yet I still have zero desire to hear CR bullshit.  I don't go to that Forum for precisely this reason.

Thank you for your support

Edited by utee94
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:
10 minutes ago, Loco said:

Those panicky idiots over at Harvard...

Neighbor’s kid that goes to UT was told that they are prepping to go all online for a while, if not the semester, if necessary.   Nothing set in stone just yet, but the staff member he talked to gave off vibes that they were not confident in how the situation is being handled by the government, so they are being proactive in having an online option    

But if/when that happens, I’m sure there will be plenty saying “those tsips are idiots, it’s just like the flu, and I never gave no flu to my favorite sheep, and they never gave no flu to me!”

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I swear, I must be using toilet paper wrong all of these years. I could stock my entire house up with canned goods, and buy ONE Costco-sized TP pack, and I guarantee that I'd run out of food first.

Are they using it as bed linens? Are they assuming that cannibalism shits are going to be the worst shits? I'm so confused.

I may have cracked the code.  I’ve noticed out of our friends/family, that those who really stocked up on tp all have little kids.    That’s an understandable fear.  

52 minutes ago, alincoln said:

It's getting more and more difficult by the day (hour?) to discuss coronavirus in the U.S. without addressing the stunning incompetence of the governmental response.  The President has handled the situation abysmally thus far, but so have many other governmental organizations.      

This, I do not disagree with.  And I don't think it's necessarily political to state things like that.

But, it certainly CAN be.  It really depends on how it's stated.  

Anyway, one of the main problems with cloaking up a thread like this, is the dozens or even hundreds of response posts-- like this one-- that then muck up the thread, while we discuss whether someone is cloaking or not.

So for best practices, if you think you want to use the term "BANNED WORD" or "BANNED WORD" or "BANNED PHRASE" or "BANNED PHRASE" or anything else that is politically charged and, frankly, incredibly childish, like these examples-- then either DON'T.  Or, take it to the CR, where it belongs.

Thank you for your support.

We are at over 700 cases, and 27 deaths.   Boy, that CDC site sure seems to be lagging.....that’s not suspicious at all.

Meanwhile, Italy is publishing spreadsheets full of data everyday about their numbers, their testing, their cases, broken down by regions and cities, etc.   And South Korea is posting detailed reports of where infected people had visited.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

49 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The example I gave had nothing to do with how the president, or any government agent or agency, is handling the event.  It was obviously CR bullshit and it was also obviously completely unnecessary and undesired on this forum.  I didn't bother to document every single instance, but there have been many.

I don't agree with many/most/all things the Federal government is doing and saying right now.  And yet I still have zero desire to hear CR bullshit.  I don't go to that Forum for precisely this reason.

Did you actually read the exchange that you are referencing? A tweet from a Dr was posted and presented as unbiased advice. Further examination of tweets from said Dr show that he is in fact very biased in favor of BANNED NAME, hence his account is "BANNED WORD", which is without dispute. No one implied that "BANNED WORD" meant backwoods or dumb, that was YOU.

• Like 9

The testing frequencies are reactive right now when they should be proactive.  The numbers for covid-19 balloon so fast that within weeks the only option is to shut it all down.  Most of our country hasn't accepted it yet because we're not thinking in terms of exponential growth curves, but unfortunately shutting it down in a few weeks very well could be too late to avoid a major national health care crisis.  It's encouraging to see that there are a lot of signs that businesses and universities are thinking ahead right now.

We'll have to reduce the "E" in the equation.  The first of 4 total vids in the thread below:

Edited by triplehorn

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

This, I do not disagree with.  And I don't think it's necessarily political to state things like that.

But, it certainly CAN be.  It really depends on how it's stated.  

Honestly, it’s pretty easy to just post the tweets of politicians/leaders, and video clips of our leaders and their actions, and we don’t even need to provide commentary.  

49 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well then I'll defend myself - I haven't called anyone BANNED WORD or spoken about politics in this thread. And I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth. 

It's not CR to discuss how the decisions to downplay the dangers of the disease by flaunting them publicly, or how a tax cut will do anything to help Americans right now to get access to testing or medical care. That's what my post mentions that you held up as the example of bad behavior. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

That’s why I read your post as “stop CRing” rather than CRing itself. 

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Honestly, it’s pretty easy to just post the tweets of politicians/leaders, and video clips of our leaders and their actions, and we don’t even need to provide commentary.  

Yup,. it sure is.  And pretty embarrassing in most cases, too.  

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Neighbor’s kid that goes to UT was told that they are prepping to go all online for a while, if not the semester, if necessary.   Nothing set in stone just yet, but the staff member he talked to gave off vibes that they were not confident in how the situation is being handled by the government, so they are being proactive in having an online option    

But if/when that happens, I’m sure there will be plenty saying “those tsips are idiots, it’s just like the flu, and I never gave no flu to my favorite sheep, and they never gave no flu to me!”

We got an email from the provost yesterday afternoon:

Recent events related to COVID-19 have many departments and faculty discussing strategies for the continuity of teaching in the event that circumstances temporarily disrupt our ability to deliver traditional face-to-face instruction.  Preparations in regard  to continuity of teaching serve us and our students well even if we do not need to use these plans immediately.  Ideally, a 30-day contingency for teaching remotely would help in planning for any number of situations that may arise.  One suggested approach would be to consider what may be done now to smooth the path to a transition to remote instruction.  Brushing up on TRACS, the university’s legacy learning management system, learning a few basics about Canvas, the university’s recently adopted learning management system, and Zoom, Texas State’s free-to-use desktop videoconferencing system, are good places to begin, if appropriate.  For additional resources, please use the following websites: 1) the Office of Distance and Extended Learning’s (ODEL) Teaching Continuity Guide web site, and 2) the Information Technology Assistance Center’s (ITAC) Teaching, Learning, and Working Remotely at TXST website.  Both ODEL and ITAC are prepared to assist faculty who want to develop skills in and use remote teaching tools. 

I had just told my students that I didn't expect to see them in person after spring break.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Johns Hopkins shenanigans.

Location of cases no longer visible below the state level with the exception of the boat in Oakland.

Maybe. Maybe also trying to deal with that thing crashing and showing incomplete data a lot of the time.  It’s too much detail for the Chromebook it’s being run on. 

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Johns Hopkins shenanigans.

Location of cases no longer visible below the state level with the exception of the boat in Oakland.

betting they keep seeing huge spikes in the AM now that the word is out about it

the mobile version was working decently well for me yesterday when they were having issues... 

https://arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away