Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

My MIL & FIL are supposed to fly to Barcelona and embark on a 2 week Mediterranean cruise (many stops in and around Italy) in late May.  They bought travel insurance for the flights and cruise.  Looks like this sort of event is not covered (surprise surprise), so they're kind of in limbo as to what to do.  They're both in their mid/late 60's, and he's already had open heart surgery, so his general health is not the best.

I think right now the best thing they can do is sit tight and wait for the airlines/cruises to find a solution.  Hopefully they drop their transfer fees and allow passengers to reschedule when it become apparent that this type of cruise can't happen.

A coworker had a family cruise to Alaska scheduled for May on Norwegian Cruises. They have already been told that should they wish, they can postpone anytime through 2022 with no additional fees. I imagine most operators will do the same.

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I'd be really interested in seeing the national figures for deaths attributed to pneumonia, flu, cold, and respiratory illness in February and March compared to December and January. 

As would I. You’d think the “flu is the real worry” people would be screaming if flu deaths were way up compared to most years, whether the increase ended up attributable to CV19 or not. 

All of Italy on lockdown now. Basically the entire country is restricted to "mission essential" travel now. Apparently the trains and airports are still open, FWIW, even in places like Milan. Exactly like we thought it would end up. Everybody gets to stay home for a month or two.

I've spent weeks stuffed into in a cramped fucking hotel room before and it's no fucking good at all. Internet or no, I can't stay like that for long.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

-Italy is also an extremely heavy-smoking population. They also kiss anyone and everyone they greet socially on each cheek with their lips, or brush the cheeks if not with the lips. That's not a stereotype, that's actually a thing. This has to be a big component for spread, right?

Also...

and

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=italian shower

• Like 1

Anyone believe this shit?  Just perusing the COVID19 map and there are no reported cases in all of Turkey even though every one of its neighbors is infected...
v0lRJhg.png

With all of they Syrian refugees, I can't believe that this hasn't caught on there yet.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

Typical American Airlines.  Sales manager wanted to go up there and see 3 or 4 customers anyhow, and called AA.  His RT ticket a few months ago was $380 or something.  No refunds on that of course.  But if he wanted to go for a day or two and salvage part of the RT ticket cost, he could pay $505 for a one way ticket back instead of his scheduled Friday night ticket back. 

Not enough customers in Columbus and surrounding areas to fill 4 whole days. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  I haven't raised it to her, and won't anytime soon, because she can get pretty anxious, but I've got a kiddo in college in Canada.  She's supposed to come home late April.  Looking at likely timelines and talking to some folks with a bit of inside knowledge, we may well be looking at extensive foreign travel bans at that time.  I'm beginning to wonder if we'll have a hard time repatriating her, and if so, what our contingency plans should be (maybe the university will keep a dorm open for stranded students?  Maybe she can stay with one of her local friends, although they aren't in her city -- they are in surrounding provinces), or shit, maybe we spend money and put her up in a hotel for a period.

Just one more thing to worry about.

Buckle up, folks.  There are going to be a lot more tough questions like that one coming our way.

I would have more faith in Canada, rather her school, taking care of her, than having her travel, or try to travel, when shit will probably be really bad.  

13 minutes ago, alincoln said:

When are the mass mandatory quarantines imposed in the U.S. and where?  

I'm expecting Seattle, L.A., D.C. and NYC to all be on lockdown before April

You’re talking about a nation of people that will send their sick kids to school when they can’t get a babysitter.  

You’re talking about a nation of people that will send their sick kids to school when they can’t get a babysitter.  
Which is EXACTLY why a quarantine makes sense. Parents know there will be sick kids at school and will not want to send theirs.

Just now, Mikey4 said:
3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Which is EXACTLY why a quarantine makes sense. Parents know there will be sick kids at school and will not want to send theirs.

Yeah.  The parents will also be at home.  The U.S. will be on lock down in April

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alincoln said:

I'm expecting Seattle, L.A., D.C. and NYC to all be on lockdown before April

My initial worry was That they’d lock down the MTA, but now I don’t think they will unless absolutely positively have to and there is literally no other option. They’ll cancel schools, work remotely, force people to not ride at rush hour, anything before the MTA goes down. I’m all for protecting people over the economy but if you shut down nyc you close the stock market and not sure that will be better in the long run. Or that we can climb out of that hole for a very long time. 

9 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Yeah.  The parents will also be at home.  The U.S. will be on lock down in April

Paranoia among the politicians in D.C. has got to be ramping up   Like somebody said earlier, this could be a blessing in disguise - could force the leaders to actually stop downplaying this shit as less than the flu   

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-shook-hands-congressman-doug-205128928.html

White House officials are mum about a photograph that appeared on Twitter showing Donald Trump shaking hands with a congressman who has put himself in self-quarantine over coronavirus fears.

Rep. Doug Collins of George, a longtime and fierce Trump ally, is spending the next two weeks at home after shaking hands earlier this month with a man who has tested positive for the disease, for which there is no vaccine nor treatment drug. That took place at the Conservative Political Action Conference near Washington.

Mr Trump also attended and shook hands with Matt Schlapp, the event's director, before giving a speech that turned into another campaign rally. Mr Schlapp has reported shaking hands with the infected man, and Mr Collins also had contact. (So, too, did Texas Senator Ted Cruz, a Trump rival-turned-ally. He's also self-isolating in the Lone Star State.)

Edited by atomheartbevo

5 minutes ago, alincoln said:

No work = No money

A lot of Americans don't have much savings.  I'm curious as to how that would work out.

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

russia is more prepared than we are. let this sink in.

The following is a list of countries who have their shit LESS together than we do:

I mean, MAYBE North Korea, because shooting anyone who tests positive seems kinda draconian, ya know?  But other than North Korea.....yeah.

Furk.  This is just gotdamn pathetic.

9 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Now this is gonna start hitting home for a lot of people if similar measures are taken here. 

Not in Murica!   We still have people voluntarily walking onto cruise ships.

17 minutes ago, achooloco said:

My initial worry was That they’d lock down the MTA, but now I don’t think they will unless absolutely positively have to and there is literally no other option. They’ll cancel schools, work remotely, force people to not ride at rush hour, anything before the MTA goes down. I’m all for protecting people over the economy but if you shut down nyc you close the stock market and not sure that will be better in the long run. Or that we can climb out of that hole for a very long time. 

The freak out may be so bad they might be better off just using that as an excuse or whatever you wanna call it....just shut it down for a month.  Like a breaker but for a long ass time.  I'm only half sarcastic here.  That's how bad this is. 

Goddamit take this cloak room shit out of here. 
CR is that way --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

It's not political to point out the irony that attendees of a conference for a group that's been openly downplaying and denying the facts about this virus are now in danger of being infected. They just happen to be a political group.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The following is a list of countries who have their shit LESS together than we do:

I mean, MAYBE North Korea, because shooting anyone who tests positive seems kinda draconian, ya know?  But other than North Korea.....yeah.

Furk.  This is just gotdamn pathetic.

It's obvious propaganda. Potemkin bullshit. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away