Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Russia only has 50 cases because

A. They are not testing

B. Anyone with flu symptoms is shot in the face

Yeah, maybe I should've thought that one through a little more before hitting "ENTER"

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, since I'm all but positive that every such company is either entirely in China or depends on parts from China....not looking good, there, chief.

Now, I DO wonder if we can come up with a design to create makeshift ventilators using off-the-shelf parts.....engineering students and steely-eyed missile men, get to work!

motherhumping this

COCKRELL HOLLA

20 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Do tell. She strikes me as the angry Indian person who wanted to become a physician but was not able to and the closest thing she could do was marry a physician.

lol.  You have her nailed.  I’ll elaborate later 

This plan is actually really damn good if we can follow through.  

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Singapore took immediate and decisive action

That is 100% (and the only reason) why it is doing "just fine" - just in case people read this as weather related

Australia has 156 cases and 3 deaths, its plenty warm there.  

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, since I'm all but positive that every such company is either entirely in China or depends on parts from China....not looking good, there, chief.

Now, I DO wonder if we can come up with a design to create makeshift ventilators using off-the-shelf parts.....engineering students and steely-eyed missile men, get to work!

spacer.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If testing is so unimportant, why is the president spending so much time during his national address to talk about it? Hmm, it's almost like it's our best tool for tracking the spread and state of the viral spread across the nation. 

Not hearing a ton of specifics and/or action items on how we'll weather the storm. 

Hell, president just interrupted himself saying he doesn't think we'll have 4 and a half million sick. Holy shit he still doesn't think it's real. 

His speech is going off the rails. Buckle up, day traders. 

Actually, bringing in the CEOs of all these corps, and not talking off a teleprompter, is actually making him look dare i say it slightly competent.

Pence knobslobbing him is tacky.

And your points about where the fuck is the cavalry are true.

But this is a 180 from Tuesday night.

/THE ABOVE IS NOT POLITICAL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

This.  Every time someone has the "coronavirus panic" intrude on their life, they come here to bitch about it and proclaim how over-reactive it all is with no basis for that other than their own annoyance or perhaps pain in the case of their stock portfolio.

So let me start by acknowledging -- the media often does play upon our fears to get clicks, viewers or to sell papers.  They are probably doing it right now.  Now my response -- so fucking what?  The media capitalizing on a threat does not mean there is no fucking threat.

Our media holds no sway over China, Italy or any of the other countries further along in their outbreak.    Italy had less infections three weeks ago than we have now, and their healthcare system is now overwhelmed.  They had 2,547 new infections and 250 deaths yesterday as they continue to ride the wave of exponential growth.  Their case fatality rate is closer to 5% than what we have seen elsewhere.  They did not shut down their economy and society because of something Rachel Maddow, Sean Hannity or Chris Cuomo said.  They did it because the effects of not doing it are worse.

Our media certainly holds no sway over our President.  He finally quit trying to say this is just the flu that no one should be concerned about.  He now seems to be taking this seriously, a change that I hope delivers a new urgency of action at the federal level.  He didn't close off travel with Europe because of Rachel Maddow or Chris Cuomo.  He did it because this is a serious threat that requires serious action to combat.

This is not a hoax.  It is not overblown.  The threat is real.  Experts within the fields of public health, virology and infectious diseases -- all of them with advanced degrees and decades of practical experience -- have been sounding the alarm for weeks now.  They are finally being heard.  But you had to wait a little longer than normal for your privileged first-world convenience, so now we have to go through the cycle of refuting ignorant bullshit for the 5 billionth time.

Fuck you.  And by you, I mean the proverbial whoever the fuck still believes this is much ado about nothing fueled by the media you.  Follow the suggested measures to limit transmission for the sake of everyone else's elderly family members if not your own.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention.html

Good points. Everyone should be heartened by the leadership being shown by industry, government and in health care today with the announcement on the White House Lawn

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Australia has 156 cases and 3 deaths, its plenty warm there.  

...if you are here saying on March 13, 2020 that you think there are only 156 cases in a country of 24.6 million I don't know what to tell you.

Either way, assuming that this thing is going to stop based on temp is the wrong thing to take away from any of this

3 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

I just flew back from Miami this morning. I can tell you nobody there is acting like there is a pandemic. It’s spring break and people are acting like it.

Before you say it, here you go, dirtbags...

f53af9cc1733db9920c10c84f25c6eea.jpg

x,x,1

• Like 1

Someone I know got tested this morning. She had no problem getting a test, she made one call and they had her come to the doctors building, she drove in the garage and they came out and swabbed her nose through the crack in her window. Test results back in 2 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, NoName said:

...if you are here saying on March 13, 2020 that you think there are only 156 cases in a country of 24.6 million I don't know what to tell you.

Either way, assuming that this thing is going to stop based on temp is the wrong thing to take away from any of this

Im agreeing with you.  Its warm there, and they have cases and death.  Hoping warm weather will stop it is wishful thiinking.  

From President Fenves, his wife has it:

Dear Longhorns,

Today, we canceled classes at UT and closed the university. My main concern at this time is the health and well-being of UT students, faculty, staff and community members. We took this action because the first case of COVID-19 (coronavirus) within our UT community was confirmed this morning. 

It is difficult for me to write this because the person who tested positive is my wife Carmel. And a second member of my family (who works at UT) is presumed to have COVID-19 as well. I have now been tested for the virus, and the three of us are in self-isolation. 

Carmel and I have compiled a list of individuals who might have recently been in close contact with us. UT Health Austin nurses will be reaching out to those on the list who are affiliated with UT to screen them per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. 

If you have had close contact with me or my family members or another person with COVID-19 and you are not exhibiting symptoms, we strongly recommend that you self-isolate starting today. You should continue to do so until it has been 14 days since your last contact. If you develop symptoms at any point, please contact your primary care physician. If your symptoms are urgent, please call 911 or seek care immediately at the closest emergency facility.

Regardless of whether you are showing symptoms, please remember to take preventive measures and be cautious when traveling and interacting with people. This includes washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and avoiding shaking hands and other physical contact. 

Last week, Carmel and I traveled to New York City for several events with alumni and students. We returned home on Saturday afternoon. After the trip, Carmel started exhibiting mild flu-like symptoms. She tested negative for the flu yesterday and was then tested for COVID-19. This morning at 5:30 a.m., we received the news that she had tested positive. This news came several hours after local health officials had announced two other, separate cases in Travis County.

Under normal circumstances, I would not describe the details of an individual’s illness. However, given the widespread impact of COVID-19, Carmel and I want to share this information with you so members of our community can take proper precautions.

We had been anticipating that someone in Austin or at UT would test positive for COVID-19 in the coming days or weeks, and we will be making modifications for the rest of the semester. The university is working around the clock to adjust to this rapidly evolving situation, and I suggest you check our website frequently to stay informed.

Sincerely,

Signature of President Gregory L. Fenves
Gregory L. Fenves
President

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Lmao the president telling us how important precautions are as he touches the mic everyone has inches from their face and shakes everyone's hands. Very good leadership by example. 

CR is that way fuckface.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

Singapore took immediate and decisive action

That is 100% (and the only reason) why it is doing "just fine" - just in case people read this as weather related

Oops. Poorly written. I meant to say that COVID is doing fine in Singapore despite its location on the equator and warmer temps, the city still required incredible action to stabilize its infection rate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Good points. Everyone should be heartened by the leadership being shown by industry, government and in health care today with the announcement on the White House Lawn

Indeed, much better than saying its just the flu and no big deal and otherwise trying to downplay it.  Here's to hearing fewer words and seeing more action from our federal government in the near future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lmao the president telling us how important precautions are as he touches the mic everyone has inches from their face and shakes everyone's hands. Very good leadership by example. 

look

you post in the CR already

you post in the CR Coronavirus thread already

just take this there not here - it isn't that hard.

you just keep doing this, so it isn't like you aren't aware - so i guess this is just on purpose after the tenth time or whatever number we are on now...

• Like 5

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away