Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

So, I have never used a bidet.

It seems shitty water would splatter all over your junk and ass using one.

I realize I must be wrong otherwise people wouldn't use them.

Think I'll stick with TP, wet wipes, and daily showers and call it good.

Me either, but I'm having leftover Tbell for lunch (heated to kill viruses, but probably not bacteria).  Soon.

Just now, closetojumping said:

One of my brothers is an anesthesiologist ... in Houston. I'm suddenly terrified that he works with GreenspointTexas. Maybe he is GreenspointTexas?!? Fuck. No, he has to be a nurse or something. 

Anyway, this caused me to actually ask big brother what he's seeing. He says there aren't any known cases in SE Houston and he's not hearing any rumors of such. Then he went on a rant about WHO being a bunch of handwringing pussies. He worked for or with WHO in Africa and Turkey on some shit after med school. I don't know in what capacity. Just know that he did it for a while. 

So on the spectrum of anesthesiologists opinions it’s probably somewhere in the middle. Phew!

Gotta be a shitty time to be pregnant right now. My sister in law is due in two months... potentially at a time when hospitals are overun by covid patients
I'm due in June. I have thought about getting a midwife jic, but I'll be chatting with my MFM when I go back in a couple of weeks. I'm mainly concerned about allocation of resources and that they haven't become so desperate that they're stealing doctors from other departments. I'm less concerned they would do this with an MFM than an ob but it's better to have the conversation now. I suggest everyone who is expecting address this with their ob at least for peace of mind.

4 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:
1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:
Gotta be a shitty time to be pregnant right now. My sister in law is due in two months... potentially at a time when hospitals are overun by covid patients

I'm due in June. I have thought about getting a midwife jic, but I'll be chatting with my MFM when I go back in a couple of weeks. I'm mainly concerned about allocation of resources and that they haven't become so desperate that they're stealing doctors from other departments. I'm less concerned they would do this with an MFM than an ob but it's better to have the conversation now. I suggest everyone who is expecting address this with their ob at least for peace of mind.

I've been watching pron too long.  I instantly thought of Male-Female-Male threesome videos. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

NCAA has agreed to give spring sports student athletes another year.  How the hell does that work WRT scholarship numbers and recruiting? 

Winter sports are also under discussion for relief.  Some mid major is going to be a fucking hoss in next year's dance with 4 seniors and 4 senior-seniors.  

• Like 2

NCAA has agreed to give spring sports student athletes another year.  How the hell does that work WRT scholarship numbers and recruiting? 
Winter sports are also under discussion for relief.  Some mid major is going to be a fucking hoss in next year's dance with 4 seniors and 4 senior-seniors.  

Damn good point. I’ll start looking researching for my 2021 bracket

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

For those on scholarship, who pays for it? Not a big deal at major schools but mid majors are gonna struggle paying for extra schollies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

For those on scholarship, who pays for it? Not a big deal at major schools but mid majors are gonna struggle paying for extra schollies.

NCAA should front the costs.

• Like 1

Just got the notice that Six Flags will be shutting down. Now my teenagers will have to stop making impromptu trips to Six Flags. I guess they will start going to the mall now. Controlling the little ones are easy but teenagers need to be put in chains.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Italy with 250 new deaths and 2500 new cases today.

Here is what I still don't get. We had our first confirmed  case January 20 while Italy had their first confirmed case January 31, yet everyone says we are two weeks behind Italy. 

• Like 1

I've now had depositions canceled because opposing counsel/and family came down with flu like symptoms, tested negative for influenza, and now have respiratory issues. No corona virus testing available of course. And, I received this update from a lawyer's news service:

BREAKING: Davis Wright Staffer Dies After Leaving Work With Flu-Like Symptoms

A Davis Wright Tremaine LLP executive legal assistant who worked in Washington state and left work Tuesday after reporting flu-like symptoms has died, the firm announced Friday, adding that it will close two of its offices in the state and a third location in Portland.

Edited by Dahobbs
stupid broken quoting

Just got the notice that Six Flags will be shutting down. Now my teenagers will have to stop making impromptu trips to Six Flags. I guess they will start going to the mall now. Controlling the little ones are easy but teenagers need to be put in chains.

Gonna be a ton of professional 16 y/o and younger fortnite players in May

10 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Yeah, they have to expand rosters for one season I would think.

Here is what I still don't get. We had our first confirmed  case January 20 while Italy had their first confirmed case January 31, yet everyone says we are two weeks behind Italy. 

I’m part with you and part we’ve conducted 1% of tests we should have done by now. Then there should be hundreds if not thousands of undocumented deaths from mid-late February in the U.S.

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One of my brothers is an anesthesiologist ... in Houston. I'm suddenly terrified that he works with GreenspointTexas. Maybe he is GreenspointTexas?!? Fuck. No, he has to be a nurse or something.

I always assumed Greenspoint was a nitrous oxide cylinder rep displaced from Dallas to account for his unhinged hatred of Houston sports teams. 

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

Honest question, because I honestly don’t remember.  We had just had a child at this time, and not getting much sleep or watching much TV. 
Are these legit numbers for H1N1?

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.“

If so, was it just lack of heavy Facebook, social media presence, that people didn’t freak?  
Or were people freaking?

Any sports, festival concert or school cancellations?

the old site had a 6 page thread on it.

the City of Austin early in the spring had nearly a dozen confirmed DEATHS, and didn't cancel shit.

H1N1 was even worse in the Fall.

Times have definitely changed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, they have to expand rosters for one season I would think.

A lot of freshman will benefit from redshirting.  Either don't count Super Seniors against the limit or don't count any redshirts. 

Also, great time to experiment with increasing scholarships and roster sizes. 11.7 is still dumb af.

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Every single thing you posted was wrong. 

Swine flu fatality rate was .03 percent.

Regular seasonal flu fatality rate is .1 percent

Based on data from multiple countries, Covid-19 has a fatality rate between 1% and 3%. And, it has a significantly higher need of hospitalization than either flu variation. 

Swine flu was talked about. Swine flu was treated seriously. A health emergency was declared within a month of it being found here. Millions of tests were ready a month later. The primary issue with Swine flu was that 1) it hit the younger hardest and 2) it tended to require a higher hospitalization rate than regular flu. 

The corona virus hits the elderly hardest, and it appears to hit really damn hard, like 15% fatality rate for those over 80 hard. Worse, it spreads easily, lasts on surfaces for a long time (possibly several days), and it is a completely novel virus to humans, meaning no inherent immunity whatsoever to it. If corona virus spreads to the same extent that swine flu did (and at this point we have every reason to think it will absent drastic measures), 70 to 100 million will be infected. That means over 1 million dead compared to 10 thousand for swine flu. That means millions or tens of millions of hospitalizations as opposed to 200,000 for swine flu. 

So yeah, it deserves a little bit more attention than regular season flu or swine flu. 

China didn't quarantine 75 million people and shut down their economy because of the fucking media, social or otherwise. The goddamn thing was barely a whisper before that happened. Italy hasn't shut down their entire country save for grocery stores and pharmacies because of the medial. Iran hasn't built mass graves and gone begging for money because of the goddamn media. South Korea isn't testing the entire damn country because of the fucking media. 

This.  Every time someone has the "coronavirus panic" intrude on their life, they come here to bitch about it and proclaim how over-reactive it all is with no basis for that other than their own annoyance or perhaps pain in the case of their stock portfolio.

So let me start by acknowledging -- the media often does play upon our fears to get clicks, viewers or to sell papers.  They are probably doing it right now.  Now my response -- so fucking what?  The media capitalizing on a threat does not mean there is no fucking threat.

Our media holds no sway over China, Italy or any of the other countries further along in their outbreak.    Italy had less infections three weeks ago than we have now, and their healthcare system is now overwhelmed.  They had 2,547 new infections and 250 deaths yesterday as they continue to ride the wave of exponential growth.  Their case fatality rate is closer to 5% than what we have seen elsewhere.  They did not shut down their economy and society because of something Rachel Maddow, Sean Hannity or Chris Cuomo said.  They did it because the effects of not doing it are worse.

Our media certainly holds no sway over our President.  He finally quit trying to say this is just the flu that no one should be concerned about.  He now seems to be taking this seriously, a change that I hope delivers a new urgency of action at the federal level.  He didn't close off travel with Europe because of Rachel Maddow or Chris Cuomo.  He did it because this is a serious threat that requires serious action to combat.

This is not a hoax.  It is not overblown.  The threat is real.  Experts within the fields of public health, virology and infectious diseases -- all of them with advanced degrees and decades of practical experience -- have been sounding the alarm for weeks now.  They are finally being heard.  But you had to wait a little longer than normal for your privileged first-world convenience, so now we have to go through the cycle of refuting ignorant bullshit for the 5 billionth time.

Fuck you.  And by you, I mean the proverbial whoever the fuck still believes this is much ado about nothing fueled by the media you.  Follow the suggested measures to limit transmission for the sake of everyone else's elderly family members if not your own.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention.html

• Like 6

God I hate people so fucking hard.

This chick is under medical investigation, monitoring by the health authorities, and brings this shit to Bee Cave. Stupid and fucking clueless. 

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200313/new-info-man-in-60s-woman-in-30s-test-positive-for-coronavirus-in-austin

The woman was tested Wednesday at St. David’s Emergency Center-Bee Cave and was released the same day to self-quarantine, said St. David’s HealthCare President David Huffstutler in a statement.

Before the woman’s COVID-19 diagnosis, health officials were monitoring her after Montgomery County officials alerted the city that she had been under medical investigation in the Houston area.

She alerted health officials of mild symptoms and was tested outside of a hospital, Escott said. The people she is staying with have so far exhibited no symptoms or mild symptoms.

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

But they're broke.

*stifles giggle*

Probably shouldn't have advertised that their rainy day fund could cover the $1 billion in lost revenue from cancelling March Madness. 

42 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Maybe there are thousands of undiscovered dead bodies laying around. Have you ever thought of that?

It's funny you should mention that. I was doing some work in Iran just last week and they had bodies stacking up everywhere. 

41 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is what I am wondering.  I'm not in the "no big deal" camp at all, but I'm assuming that the virus has been preset in North America for at least 11weeks (that is most likely conservative).  Given the rapid spread of this virus and the impact it's had on places like Italy, shouldn't we now be seeing the results that Italy began experiencing a couple of weeks ago?  Like I said, I'm not in the "do nothing" camp and I think it has been wise to cancel the events that have been canceled, but I am cautiously optimistic that it isn't going to be as bad here as it has been in China and Italy.  I'll throw in the disclaimer that all bets could be off if this next week turns into a shitshow like Greenspoint and Nueces Rat whatever seems to hoping for.

Right. I get that Italy has completely shut the fuck down and that China was welding doors closed on apartment buildings and such. It's clearly a big fucking deal, particularly for the hospital overload. But how contagious is it really? Should we assume that there are 500 million infected in China? 2-5 million in Italy? I feel like there's some sort of disconnect becoming apparent between either how contagious it really is and how deadly it really is. The uncertainty of what the size and scope of this is, is maddening. 

To that point, Italy's an open society. When do we start getting at least some social media confirmation of the hospitals being overrun? I figured that would have started last week and be pouring into everyone's feeds by now. 

It would be nice if we could at least start pinning some believable data down. If Italy's got doctor death squads roaming through their hospital hallways picking who survives, I assume we'll get to see something visual from someone regarding the absolute overload at some point. My mistake might be that that is happening and I'm not on social media and assuming that it would all be getting posted here. 

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This is gonna be bad, but one-ply toilet paper?  Jesu man, this is not the end of humanity.

One ply Scott’s brand was all that remained on the shelves of H-E-B Mueller this morning, rejected even by the anuses of the panicked and desperate. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's funny you should mention that. I was doing some work in Iran just last week and they had bodies stacking up everywhere. 

Right. I get that Italy has completely shut the fuck down and that China was welding doors closed on apartment buildings and such. It's clearly a big fucking deal, particularly for the hospital overload. But how contagious is it really? Should we assume that there are 500 million infected in China? 2-5 million in Italy? I feel like there's some sort of disconnect becoming apparent between either how contagious it really is and how deadly it really is. The uncertainty of what the size and scope of this is, is maddening. 

To that point, Italy's an open society. When do we start getting at least some social media confirmation of the hospitals being overrun? I figured that would have started last week and be pouring into everyone's feeds by now. 

It would be nice if we could at least start pinning some believable data down. If Italy's got doctor death squads roaming through their hospital hallways picking who survives, I assume we'll get to see something visual from someone regarding the absolute overload at some point. My mistake might be that that is happening and I'm not on social media and assuming that it would all be getting posted here. 

Entirely possible that fatality and hospitalization rates have been overestimated but transmission rate has been underestimated. As for Italy, there were definitely reports of places running out of hospital beds.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/italy-coronavirus-patients-lombardy-hospitals/2020/03/12/36041dc6-63ce-11ea-8a8e-5c5336b32760_story.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/

Edited by Huckleberry

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away