Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Random thought: yesterday we started getting glimpses of medication cocktails that SoKo is using which MAY be contributing to their lower CFR relative to similarly affected countries.  One of the protocols involves combining the old malaria drug chloroquine with Zinc.  Zinc is a 2++ ion that apparently shuts down the RNA polymerase that the virus requires to effect its virulence.  The RNA polymerase works inside infected cells.  Zinc ion can't easily cross into cells (cytosol).  Choroquine is an ionophore that picks up Zinc ions and carries them into the cells where they disrupt the RNA polymerase.  Chloroquine apparently increases the cytosolic concentration of Zinc x10 relative to taking Zinc alone.

Where I'm going with this is that apart from an acute intervention for very sick patients, could this be a prophylactic strategy for all vulnerable health care staff?  Start taking some dose of Chloroquine once or twice or more per week with daily Zinc to have it already waiting there with boosted intracellular levels to disrupt onset of illness and severity, i.e. don't wait until the first wallop from being infected?

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hate said:

And given the amount of international travel that occurs in and out of China, the virus was certainly present in North America much sooner than originally thought. 

And some of the "flu" cases and deaths from this past season were probably Covid-19.

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Okay, so then is the premise that this bug isn't nearly as lethal as the official numbers have been indicating?

This is what I am wondering.  I'm not in the "no big deal" camp at all, but I'm assuming that the virus has been preset in North America for at least 11weeks (that is most likely conservative).  Given the rapid spread of this virus and the impact it's had on places like Italy, shouldn't we now be seeing the results that Italy began experiencing a couple of weeks ago?  Like I said, I'm not in the "do nothing" camp and I think it has been wise to cancel the events that have been canceled, but I am cautiously optimistic that it isn't going to be as bad here as it has been in China and Italy.  I'll throw in the disclaimer that all bets could be off if this next week turns into a shitshow like Greenspoint and Nueces Rat whatever seems to hoping for.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Random thought: yesterday we started getting glimpses of medication cocktails that SoKo is using which MAY be contributing to their lower CFR relative to similarly affected countries.  One of the protocols involves combining the old malaria drug chloroquine with Zinc.  Zinc is a 2++ ion that apparently shuts down the RNA polymerase that the virus requires to effect its virulence.  The RNA polymerase works inside infected cells.  Zinc ion can't easily cross into cells (cytosol).  Choroquine is an ionophore that picks up Zinc ions and carries them into the cells where they disrupt the RNA polymerase.  Chloroquine apparently increases the cytosolic concentration of Zinc x10 relative to taking Zinc alone.

Where I'm going with this is that apart from an acute intervention for very sick patients, could this be a prophylactic strategy for all vulnerable health care staff?  Start taking some dose of Chloroquine once or twice or more per week with daily Zinc to have it already waiting there with boosted intracellular levels to disrupt onset of illness and severity, i.e. don't wait until the first wallop from being infected?

Now talk to us like we don't have a medical degree

4 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Drive-thru testing in SA.

Hope the fatties don't confuse these locations with Beer-n-all or Whataburger drive-thru.

If we have to drive to Bogota just to get tested, then there’s going to be a serious run on gas stations.  I’m leaving the daycare to fill up

Pro tip, if Vic Mackey writes 500 words on why you're right you should probably change your mind. But yeah, this part should make things obvious even to most dunderheads:

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

China didn't quarantine 75 million people and shut down their economy because of the fucking media, social or otherwise. The goddamn thing was barely a whisper before that happened. Italy hasn't shut down their entire country save for grocery stores and pharmacies because of the medial. Iran hasn't built mass graves and gone begging for money because of the goddamn media. South Korea isn't testing the entire damn country because of the fucking media. 

Add the NBA, MLB, etc. if you think "ALL GOVERNMENTS R DUMB LOL". Countries are willingly costing themselves a total of probably around a trillion dollars in GDP so far and huge corporations and sports leagues are costing themselves untold billions of dollars in revenue.

If you really think that's only because of social and traditional media then you're an idiot.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Did last week and it's still going to take another week to get here. Anything you order now is going to take 2-3 weeks. 

I was able to find n99 masks and replaceable filters on Amazon prime somehow earlier this week. It's impossible now. 

33 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

This here.  We know how many are dying from COVID, but we have no clue how many people have it.  It's hard to get an accurate fatality rate without the denominator.

just stop with the math already!!

8 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Now talk to us like we don't have a medical degree

Chloroquine plus zinc may be even more effective at halting or mitigating coronavirus infection when loading is present before actual infection than when started after infection is symptomatic and typically severe.

Pro tip, if Vic Mackey writes 500 words on why you're right you should probably change your mind. But yeah, this part should make things obvious even to most dunderheads:
Add the NBA, MLB, etc. if you think "ALL GOVERNMENTS R DUMB LOL". Countries are willingly costing themselves a total of probably around a trillion dollars in GDP so far and huge corporations and sports leagues are costing themselves untold billions of dollars in revenue.
If you really think that's only because of social and traditional media then you're an idiot.
Truth. It's also because they're trying to undermine *****.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

After trying to tell everyone over the past 3 weeks that this was coming and to prepare, ive learned two things:

1) people are clueless about the world around them

2) 99% of people over the age of 55 or 60 that ive talked to dont even believe this is even a thing or counter with “its not gonna be that bad... the media is just overblowing this.”

i shrug and continue to buy brisket and post oak

Describes my parents In Austin. Sigh. Not sure how I can convince my dad to stop going to fucking church  Or stations of the cross but here we are. Anyway the diocese will do the right thing and cancel services this wknd?

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

2) What the fuck is your post actually meant to imply? That the hospitals are already overloaded in Houston, so they're grabbing surgery centers with new patients coming in hot? Like in a movie?

the "using ASCs as field hospitals" is a solid move due to the fact that many of them are already set up generally as a tiny hospital with a waiting area/check in area and then behind closed doors ORs, pre-op and recovery rooms - vs doing something like building out the Astrodome or building hospitals in convention centers. 

Depending on how big they are it makes sense to start there

re: pending admissions at first, I read that as he has to go because of pending admissions but now that I re-read it it looks like he is hinting at pending admissions for his ASC from this which would be very, very, very unlikely they would start filling up there vs in a hospital.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Something interesting that may come from all of this self quarantining (and something I thought about as a result of the lol thread) is that there is going to be a new generation of "boomers" in 9-11 months as a result of all the self quarantining.  There isn't much else to do other than drink and fuck.

spacer.png

20 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Pretty sure he’s an anesthesiologist. 

One of my brothers is an anesthesiologist ... in Houston. I'm suddenly terrified that he works with GreenspointTexas. Maybe he is GreenspointTexas?!? Fuck. No, he has to be a nurse or something. 

Anyway, this caused me to actually ask big brother what he's seeing. He says there aren't any known cases in SE Houston and he's not hearing any rumors of such. Then he went on a rant about WHO being a bunch of handwringing pussies. He worked for or with WHO in Africa and Turkey on some shit after med school. I don't know in what capacity. Just know that he did it for a while. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away