Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

33 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

I think that I’m on the tail end of whatever I came down with, but holy shit it was bad. Went a little over 72 hours without a bite to eat. Thank god for simple water.

fwiw, late last week I had a single episode of obvious diarrhea out of the blue.  Nothing else. It crossed my mind wondering if it was a sentinel symptom of something, and did see that mild or minimal diarrhea can be associated with this coronavirus.  Over the past 3-4 days, last two days for sure, I've had mild upper airway restriction which I can't recall the last time I had, slight runny nose, a minimal cough, and a vague sensation of pressure or heaviness deeper in the middle of my chest.  No real obvious fever but the last 3 nights sleep has only been 5 hours and waking up with my legs feeling hot.  Kiddo has had something as well this week and I've been lobbying to keep him home from school all week (not at school today going forward).  The teacher has been out with sickness since Tuesday, no word on her condition.  Covid-19 is here in the community and around the state.  Part of me hopes this is a milder covid-19 infection and I can join the herd.  Who the hell knows.  I'd go get a test right now if it didn't inconvenience anyone.  

Also I shifted all work to virtual Monday this week thinking I needed to protect myself.  Could be it was the other way around.  Been loading on Zinc since last weekend as well.  

Edited by triplehorn

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm letting my daughter have four other girls over tonight because my wife already said OK, but I'm not thrilled about it and this is going to be the last time for a while. 

I got 4 kids in my living room now playing video games.  I am not thrilled about it either.  

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So italy’s fatality rate climbed above 7%... awesome

Yes it’s alarming that the death rate has increased among confirmed cases, but confirmed cases are usually the worst cases.  The denominator in that death rate calculation is likely off by an order of magnitude.  You know this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Now you know what ESPN will be running during the sports hiatus.  

Overwatch league has canceled the live events, but will be showing online matches starting next weekend. They have been on ESPN in the past I think 

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

how many ventilators and icu rooms do we have nationwide?

We have to remember; healthcare is a profit center here.

We aren't going to have lots of "extras" lying around, or deadweight as I have heard it refered to.

Hospitals are required only to prep for small outbreaks, think meningitis, that last a couple of weeks at most.

Sustained outbreaks of large magnitude have almost zero planning, and even less funding for testing and contingencies.

If you have ever been around contigency planning in US healthcare, you know what I am talking about. The last head of CP I met had 1.5 staff and wore two other hats for the hospital. She had the political backing, and manpower, to write up 80% of the CPs needed but test none of them.

Edited by pacman

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So italy’s fatality rate climbed above 7%... awesome

Thats going to be one of those things thats hard to nail down.  Actual death rate vs death rate attributed to lack of medical capacity.  People are dying over there because they are out of resources to treat them.  In the end it doesnt matter, but it will be one of the ways things get spun.  

8 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

fwiw, late last week I had a single episode of obvious diarrhea out of the blue.  Nothing else. It crossed my mind wondering if it was a sentinel symptom of something, and did see that mild or minimal diarrhea can be associated with this coronavirus.  Over the past 3-4 days, last two days for sure, I've had mild upper airway restriction which I rarely get, slight runny nose, a minimal cough, and a vague sensation of pressure or heaviness deeper in the middle of my chest.  No real obvious fever but the last 3 nights sleep has only been 5 hours and waking up with my legs feeling hot... Part of me hopes this is a milder covid-19 infection and I can join the herd.  Who the hell knows.  I'd go get a test right now if it didn't inconvenience anyone. 

I’ve had a nearly identical experience for the last few days and have been wondering if I have it. It’s unlikely, as there aren’t any confirmed cases in the city yet. I know there are about 5 presumptive positives in local hospitals right now. Ohio claiming they have 100,000 cases makes me wonder if I do. 

I know I couldn’t get tested right now if I wanted to.  I’ve definitely found myself hoping it’s a mild covid. 

Went to the Costco in Frisco TX this morning and wandered around a few minutes and left.  There were 4 lines to check out that went from the check out in the front of the store to the back of the store and then looped around multiple aisles.  Must have been at least an hour wait just to check out.  Told the wife not to come to Costco and just go to Kroger for some food.  She called me from Kroger and said all of the ground beef, ground turkey, chicken breasts, etc.. were sold out (toilet paper also).  She started freaking out and I told her just get what you can and go home.  I headed over to Tom Thumb and they had limited amounts of meats, etc... The guy from Tom Thumb said get what you can because we won't get another truck until Sunday.   People are panicking up here in the Dallas suburbs.  I got 10 boxes of pop tarts so I am set for the weekend at least.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

These kind of numbers can get dangerous if they continue to hold and get widely reported.  At some point younger folks are going to start wondering why they are shutting down their lives for something that attacks folks who right wrong or otherwise they frankly are going to be perceiving as the types of folks all diseases typically prey on.  

It's an uncomfortable conversation we may ultimately get to...

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I wonder how quickly companies that make ventilators can scale up.  Seems like an opportunity to do something great for humanity and make a little $ at the same time.

how many of them are manufactured in the States vs (Southeast) Asia?

1 minute ago, heso said:

I’ve had a nearly identical experience for the last few days and have been wondering if I have it. It’s unlikely, as there aren’t any confirmed cases in the city yet. I know there are about 5 presumptive positives in local hospitals right now. Ohio claiming they have 100,000 cases makes me wonder if I do. 

I know I couldn’t get tested right now if I wanted to.  I’ve definitely found myself hoping it’s a mild covid. 

exactly, lucky ones will get this early, have resources available, survive and be immune for the rest of the go.

later cases, may not have the infrastructure available to recover, even if they could hav done so like their peers who got it earlier.

How refreshing! A blog post with a) useful advice, and b) citations! Outside of funny memes, it's probably the most useful thing I've seen on Facebook in days.

Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

Put simply, medics found that severely ill flu patients nursed outdoors recovered better than those treated indoors. A combination of fresh air and sunlight seems to have prevented deaths among patients; and infections among medical staff.[1] There is scientific support for this. Research shows that outdoor air is a natural disinfectant. Fresh air can kill the flu virus and other harmful germs. Equally, sunlight is germicidal and there is now evidence it can kill the flu virus...

Doctors who had first-hand experience of open-air therapy at the hospital in Boston were convinced the regimen was effective. It was adopted elsewhere. If one report is correct, it reduced deaths among hospital patients from 40 per cent to about 13 per cent.[4]

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Thats going to be one of those things thats hard to nail down.  Actual death rate vs death rate attributed to lack of medical capacity.  People are dying over there because they are out of resources to treat them.  In the end it doesnt matter, but it will be one of the ways things get spun.  

That may be the hallmark of this epidemic, though.

Even in S. Korea, which by all accounts is a best case scenario, they have patients that have died at home waiting in line to get a room in the hospital.

It's never been thought the virus in a vacuum is particularly deadly, though much more so than the flu.

It is it's level of contagiousness, including during the time before symptoms, and that 10+% are serious enough for an extended hospitalization.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Welp, that's where my 78-year-old father-in-law lives. But of course he says it's all a hoax to remove Trump and so he hasn't changed his behavior at all.

On the other hand he's a lifetime smoker who recently finished chemo for his throat cancer and refuses to stop smoking so there's a chance he kind of wants to die at this point.

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

After trying to tell everyone over the past 3 weeks that this was coming and to prepare, ive learned two things:

1) people are clueless about the world around them

2) 99% of people over the age of 55 or 60 that ive talked to dont even believe this is even a thing or counter with “its not gonna be that bad... the media is just overblowing this.”

i shrug and continue to buy brisket and post oak

I’ve been surprised how many older people I have run into, who have an almost fatalistic view about things.    It’s like “you’ve put over 60 or 70 years into staying alive, you keep up with all your meds, you’ve fought off serious illnesses. but you are asked to stock up and stay away from other people for a month, and you’ve decided you need to visit people or stores you haven’t visited in months, basically the equivalent or playing in traffic.”

4 minutes ago, Somnio said:

That may be the hallmark of this epidemic, though.

Even in S. Korea, which by all accounts is a best case scenario, they have patients that have died at home waiting in line to get a room in the hospital.

It's never been thought the virus in a vacuum is particularly deadly, though much more so than the flu.

It is it's level of contagiousness, including during the time before symptoms, and that 10+% are serious enough for an extended hospitalization.

A shitload of olds are gonna die...Hardly anyone healthy and young. We just need to understand this and minimize the losses the best we can.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

She’s so worthless.  Really nothing political with this take - having dealt with her in the past...She’s a pompous POS hack.  

They are incompetent by design...meant only to destroy and erode trust

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away