Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

for anyone not watching, the market shot up more than 1000 points while OM was taking questions and finished up 9.36% from yesterday's historic collapse.

The president started talking and it dipped from +800 to +500, with the S&P and NASDAQ roughly doing the same.  Then about 20 minutes in it started climbing all the way up to +1900 and stayed there.  It was something to see.

Friend in Florida (county worker not far from Miami) said testing is increasing there after the Miami mayor got it.  

Speaking of testing, only one Houston area county is releasing numbers

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/only-one-houston-area-county-will-release-number-of-covid-19-tests-performed/285-df63b4aa-381a-4cac-bcf9-cfc754ce4dad

The testing strategy in Montgomery County has been working.

“Ideally, the testing would be like how Montgomery County is doing it,” Keiser said. “You have a problem, you go to your doctor, he orders the test, if it comes back positive, they contact the health department.”

We asked each of the county’s health department’s how many tests have been performed in total since all of this started.

Montgomery County said it has tested 18 people since February.

Seven were negative and the health district is still waiting on the remainder of the results.

The health district said other tests have been performed privately and it does not track those.

Kudos to Montgomery County for being open with the public.  Galveston, Harris, and Fort Bend treating them like it’s super duper top secret

Galveston County health officials say they will only disclose presumptive positive cases and not the total number of tests it has performed.

Health departments in Harris County, Houston and Fort Bend County released a statement saying they will not disclose the number of patients they have tested until this point, claiming the information would “lead to misinformation, which can create unnecessary, often confused, alarmed public reaction.”

Testing in Texas   Ramping up, and we have over 50 cases.  270 processed tests a day capacity  

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/13/texas-coronavirus-cases-state-emergency-greg-abbott/

Abbott also finally clarified the state's testing history so far and current capabilities. In total, he said there have been 220 Texans tested either by a state public lab or by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Another 75 or so Texans were being tested Friday, he said.

The state's testing capacity at public health labs was roughly 270 people per day as of Friday, but he said capacity will expand into the thousands next week as more private labs come online.

There are at least 50 cases of COVID-19 in Texas, with the first instances of community spread happening in the state's two largest urban areas.

Edited by atomheartbevo

After watching the White House press conference I am adding Dr. Deborah Birx to my list of trustworthy folks working on this.

She talked about working with Google to create a web site that allows you to answer some questions, describe your symptoms, decided if you need a test or not, and then get directed to a list of drive through sites to be tested.  The Wal-Mart CEO was there saying that many of their sites are going to have drive through testing in their parking lots.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

The fruit and vegetable section at my local grocery store.  The meat section was just as bad.  This is in Ashburn, VA.

spacer.png

Fortunately, i live in San Marcos, TX, where most of the residents have never even touched a fresh vegetable.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Dang so we're good then?

Everyman not getting bent over no lube at all depends on business confidence while multiple industry sectors (travel, restaurants, sports, etc.) are shut down.

TPTB will remain interested in preventing economic collapse if the market remains confident.

The market knows all.  It corrects, foretells, tracks, and mirrors.

Some people on here have lost a fuckton in the past 2 weeks.  Some don't have a stake at all.  But everyone has a stake in the economic confidence of people that make decisions about employment, layoffs, costs, etc. and anyone that cares about our fellow countrymen needs to be cheering hard right now for hearts and minds of TOP MEN.

7 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The president started talking and it dipped from +800 to +500, with the S&P and NASDAQ roughly doing the same.  Then about 20 minutes in it started climbing all the way up to +1900 and stayed there.  It was something to see.

it was.  we are living in amazing times.

Because people are pointlessly hoarding it and now unavailable to everyone.  

Why do other people need it? Just use a tap

Problem is people hoarding today and the last 3 days weren’t paying any attention to the news or this virus back in early Feb. I’m sorry but there was going to be a run on this once we saw the last place on earth that needs to start a pandemic...started a pandemic

5 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

After watching the White House press conference I am adding Dr. Deborah Birx to my list of trustworthy folks working on this.

She talked about working with Google to create a web site that allows you to answer some questions, describe your symptoms, decided if you need a test or not, and then get directed to a list of drive through sites to be tested.  The Wal-Mart CEO was there saying that many of their sites are going to have drive through testing in their parking lots.

ditto.  Confident with a warm tone and fucking smart.  Willing to use real words with real science answering a question.  The opposite of the angry dot-indian bitch.

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why do other people need it? Just use a tap

Problem is people hoarding today and the last 3 days weren’t paying any attention to the news or this virus back in early Feb. I’m sorry but there was going to be a run on this once we saw the last place on earth that needs to start a pandemic...started a pandemic

I'm not mad just pointing out it was unnecessary.  I only purchase bottle water for coolers in the summer.  

8 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Renee Zellweger can play her in whatever movies are made about this.  

7 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

So am I the only with a calculator open on my desktop calculating and tracking mortality rates?

5 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Nope.  You are not alone.

Ehh, I’m just watching sites like https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com that have nice graphs and the like.   Right now, we are like China early on - we are constrained in our testing for one reason or another.  In another week when we have a lot more capacity and faster turnaround times, we will easily pass up Italy in new cases everyday.  Hopefully our healthcare can keep up.  

1 hour ago, NoName said:

look

you post in the CR already

you post in the CR Coronavirus thread already

just take this there not here - it isn't that hard.

you just keep doing this, so it isn't like you aren't aware - so i guess this is just on purpose after the tenth time or whatever number we are on now...

It's not in their nature....they are insufferable little twits

Welp, that's where my 78-year-old father-in-law lives. But of course he says it's all a hoax to remove Trump and so he hasn't changed his behavior at all.
On the other hand he's a lifetime smoker who recently finished chemo for his throat cancer and refuses to stop smoking so there's a chance he kind of wants to die at this point.

My parents are in Belton. I’ve been asking them for over a week to stop going to church for a bit.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If the feds are saying it could peak in 8-9 weeks, I’m going to guess that may school districts are going to go remote teaching. 

The math is nuts, but if Americans are prepping in large numbers, we may not get below 70-80% reduction in social interaction, but will give it a decent shot.  

Except our grocery stores will become covid distribution centers.  

I can report that the Trader Joe's in The Woodlands is still pretty stocked.  They are out of a few things, but most of the shelves were stocked.  I was only there getting wine for my wife since she will be off next week as well (Conroe ISD).  The Twin Liquors in Creekside was also fully stocked although they have 2 fewer bottle of Bulleit now.  The HEB parking lot didn't seem out of the ordinary for a Friday afternoon either.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I just don't get those of you that are having conniptions about "CR------>"

Admin announced upthread that people who post C/R stuff here are going to have every post thereafter individually moderated for a week and, because he is busy, that means a post made today wouldn't show up until next week at the earliest.  The "conniptions" likely are efforts made to prevent this from taking place.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the feds are saying it could peak in 8-9 weeks, I’m going to guess that may school districts are going to go remote teaching. 

Nearly impossible due to access issues.  Something will have to give if this is the route they go to. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away