Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Purty sure they're like mennonites, but they don't make that great cheese.

If that's true....it would be interesting as hell.  A co-worker and I each had a hellacious cold.  Hers started in January, mine started late November, I think.  The worst part was a lingering awful cough for both of us -- we each went to the Dr. it was so bad.

Can you just post them?  I don't have a NYT subscription.

As for my prediction....let's see what happens with the isolation techniques we're starting to employ, and what we find out as testing ramps up.  I'd like to hope that we've flattened the curve and hopefully the fatality rate.

I do everything from my phone not a computer, so no. I linked it. 

Are you really saying you thought a million Americans would die and we wouldn’t take some drastic measures or just starting to walk it back?  

trying to sound smart here and throw out the term litmus test (NO CR).  we have a lack of litmus.

If you say that something is a litmus test of something, you mean that it is an effective and definite way of proving it or measuring it.
Ending the fighting must be the absolute priority, the litmus test of the agreement's validity. 
Edited by Hmmm

1 minute ago, akhornfan said:

I do everything from my phone not a computer, so no. I linked it. 

Are you really saying you thought a million Americans would die and we wouldn’t take some drastic measures or just starting to walk it back?  

I ran the numbers based on what looked like the rate of infection and the CFR.  Over the course of this disease -- the next year or so -- that yielded a range of from around 250,000 dead to 1.5 million dead.  I'm not walking that back, but I'm also not stubbornly clinging to them.  I want to see what the data shows, based on the new measures that are being taken, over the next few weeks.  We'll know soon enough whether we've taken measures to put us at (or hopefully below) the low end, or not.

In the flue season of 2017-18, we had 80,000 flu deaths -- the most in 40 years.  If we can hold to triple that, I'd think that's a huge win.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Same exact onset. My kid at CPHS had something and passed it along to us. I feel like I have a little asthma now. Nothing too serious. I felt some fatigue yesterday, and a headache the last two days but none today. First cold I've had in a few years.

This is seriously freaking me out.  I traveled the last few weekends for weddings and baby showers.  One of my friends hung out with Charles Barkley at a bar for an hour in Atlanta, who is seeing symptoms and quarantining himself.  I hung out with the same friend that entire weekend.  The last two days ...Headaches,  fatigue, a little congestion,  diarrhea.   Today, burping with slight nausea and a very slight dry cough with more diarrhea.     

What in the fucking fuck.  My symptoms are very mild.  There are times during the day I feel totally fine, then I feel it for an hour or two.  Going to stay in and see a doc if it worsens.

• Like 1

Also, was messaging with our friends in Oslo.  He is in charge of one of the EMS districts (well, their equivalent).  Here's his short report on their lives:

Thank you for asking. I´m glad you are all well. We will definitely have some strange months ahead of us. Here in Norway do most things shut down. School, concerts, movies and all meetings. People must stay home if they don’t have jobs that are important for the safety of the people. The rest must work from home. The girls are all doing fine, but they are a bit worried. I am super busy at work. Almost 24/7. We have difficulties preventing our staff getting into quarantine. I am tonight on-duty leader. Still working while trying to be a bit social with daughter 1. Wife is at work (midwife) and daughter 2 is sleeping over with friends. I hope that you all will stay health and use this time to have some family quality time.

We're supposed to get together with them this summer.  Hope that happens.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My parents are in Belton. I’ve been asking them for over a week to stop going to church for a bit.

Mrs. Brat is still undecided about going to 7:30am Mass on Sunday. At least they quit all that grubbing over each other and are supposedly just waving their love greetings.

However, the Austin Archdiocese Bishop said the religious education classes will resume after Spring Break. Mrs. Brat co-teaches the 1st graders on Monday afternoons. We’ll see if that guy changes his tune in the next week.

Not being a church-goer myself, she is reluctant to let me influence anything that has to do with her devout religious life.

Edited by Armybrat

24 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I needed beef and chicken so I thought:  I'll just swing by Costco on my way home from work.  Bad idea.  They were completely out of chicken.  Thighs, breast, everything.

Some fuck head had his entire cart full of ground beef.  Told him he was a lunatic and grabbed 4 pounds out of his cart.  Costco employee came up to him and said he couldn't take all the beef.  It's like hurricane Harvey all over again except people are more crazy.

This is going on everywhere.  The level of buying is breathtakingly amazing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

But all the hipsters in Denver got to go to a Post Malone concert last night.  

Hey, some of us still believe this is all blown out of proportion, so whatevs.  Land of the free, home of the dead grannies... or something like that.

Just now, victory88 said:

This is seriously freaking me out.  I traveled the last few weekends for weddings and baby showers.  One of my friends hung out with Charles Barkley at a bar for an hour in Atlanta, who is seeing symptoms and quarantining himself.  I hung out with the same friend that entire weekend.  The last two days ...Headaches,  fatigue, a little congestion,  diarrhea.   Today, burping with slight nausea and a very slight dry cough with more diarrhea.     

What in the fucking fuck.  My symptoms are very mild.  There are times during the day I feel totally fine, then I feel it for an hour or two.  Going to stay in and see a doc if it worsens.

Dude, unless you can't breathe or can't get a dangerous fever under control stay the f home.  What would you do differently if you have it as compared to if you don't?  You should be holed up with netflix and delivery either way.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I ran the numbers based on what looked like the rate of infection and the CFR.  Over the course of this disease -- the next year or so -- that yielded a range of from around 250,000 dead to 1.5 million dead.  I'm not walking that back, but I'm also not stubbornly clinging to them.  I want to see what the data shows, based on the new measures that are being taken, over the next few weeks.  We'll know soon enough whether we've taken measures to put us at (or hopefully below) the low end, or not.

In the flue season of 2017-18, we had 80,000 flu deaths -- the most in 40 years.  If we can hold to triple that, I'd think that's a huge win

My bet is that the numbers you used at the time had almost no validity. Which was the opinion I was trying to hold while being shouted down. I think the post mortem infection estimates are going to be astronomical - making the CFRs we were discussing just seem silly. 

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

SIAP. I’ve seen this shared and it’s from facebook so I can’t 100% vouch for its validity, but the terminology used is correct so I tend to believe it. Just thought I’d share for any medical professionals out there. I hadn’t heard about the cardiomyopathy component. 

DFD5-C323-AD5-C-405-E-B830-67138-F274-F7

4-D7-DBDBD-6-D6-A-4-C86-BCE1-6-C2-F0-C9-

12-D5-E342-0-E35-4-EEA-BC6-A-E2-C9054027

A86-E4-C68-7-C24-438-D-87-C0-BE9-BAAF95-

10342-DE5-CBAA-49-D3-AD5-A-63-DFE277-CF5

F6-A6883-C-AB21-42-B7-9730-7025-ED2-A364

Can we seriously stop posting this shit?

1 minute ago, akhornfan said:

My bet is that the numbers you used at the time had almost no validity. Which was the opinion I was trying to hold while being shouted down. I think the post mortem infection estimates are going to be astronomical - making the CFRs we were discussing just seem silly. 

I hope you're right.  The information we're getting about the crush of hospitals in Wuhan and Italy indicates to the contrary.

I can't tell you how happy I would be for my extrapolations to end up being way high.

Yep, definitely had the shits a couple days and headache. No fever but feeling off generally. I’m very rarely a headache getter.

4 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

I’m trying to wrap my mind around that level of inefficiency at this point in time.

I think that I’m on the tail end of whatever I came down with, but holy shit it was bad. Went a little over 72 hours without a bite to eat. Thank god for simple water.

That was me a month ago.

Are you familiar with the shart thread?

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Purty sure they're like mennonites, but they don't make that great cheese.

If that's true....it would be interesting as hell.  A co-worker and I each had a hellacious cold.  Hers started in January, mine started late November, I think.  The worst part was a lingering awful cough for both of us -- we each went to the Dr. it was so bad.

Can you just post them?  I don't have a NYT subscription.

As for my prediction....let's see what happens with the isolation techniques we're starting to employ, and what we find out as testing ramps up.  I'd like to hope that we've flattened the curve and hopefully the fatality rate.

Well, I'll also point that your prediction was made at a time when we were doing absolutely nothing (and insisting on continuing to doing nothing). If anything, his post just proved that your initial assessment was likely accurate. He was the one saying "no big deal." Clearly, the CDC doesn't agree (nor does anyone else at this point). 

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I hope you're right.  The information we're getting about the crush of hospitals in Wuhan and Italy indicates to the contrary.

I can't tell you how happy I would be for my extrapolations to end up being way high.

We have evidence of a 7% fatality rate in a first world (okay, maybe not fully first world other than GDP) country. Italy is currently reporting 1,266 deaths and 1,439 recoveries. 

image.png.13690965d9005526eb8683bd1d38374f.png

Your estimates were fine.The US will probably be significantly better than Italy for many reasons, but then again you weren't predicting a 7% CFR for the US.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Dude, you literally just posted CDC information that agreed with Brisket - if we do nothing this shit gets real bad. The cognitive dissonance on display here is amazing. Your original take was that this is no big deal and is just the flu. How in the blue fuck can you come back now, hours after a national emergency was declared, and fucking claim you were right? I really really really really hope that you're right now, that our response is enough to prevent the worst from happening. But man, what a fucking ass you are. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Why aren’t we actually seeing more real reports from people on the ground? This ‘from a colleague’ shit is helping nothing. 

You mean like this: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/

Or this?: https://abcnews.go.com/International/iran-coronavirus-led-shortage-supplies-reliable-information/story?id=69533340

Or this?: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-family/dying-a-desperate-death-a-wuhan-familys-coronavirus-ordeal-idUSKBN2080NY

Or this?:https://www.thelocal.it/20200311/hospitals-are-overwhelmed-italian-doctors-describe-the-struggle-of-fighting-the-coronavirus-outbreak

I mean if you don't want to know then you won't know. But it's being reported. In areas that did not implement sufficient measures in time their hospitals were and are being overwhelmed and therefore unable to treat all the patients who need it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Bottled waters super cheap. What’s your problem with that?

Truth.  I got a case to go with my new bidet.  I ain't usin' that there turlet water with it.  Got to give the bottle a good squeeze to get the pressure up though.  Will mention that in my Amazon review.

35 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Apparently one of the biggest side effects to being within a TV or smart phone of the coronavirus is a scorching case of hypochondria. Not just picking on you, victory88, as there’s a ton of it on this thread. You’re going to be fine. 

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Truth.  I got a case to go with my new bidet.  I ain't usin' that there turlet water with it.  Got to give the bottle a good squeeze to get the pressure up though.  Will mention that in my Amazon review.

Bottled water is also a makeshift anal douche 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Anyone able to tell me when this has happened? For those who lived in Islamic countries I think you will notice the change in intonation. And for the record, I love hearing the call to prayer. 

Good.  Yesterday I saw a video of them licking a wall to show it was safe.  It’s good to see they are now grasping the importance of the situation.  

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Apparently one of the biggest side effects to being within a TV or smart phone of the coronavirus is a scorching case of hypochondria. Not just picking on you, victory88, as there’s a ton of it on this thread. You’re going to be fine. 

It could be the really spicy pastor tacos I ate...

52 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Hey, some of us still believe this is all blown out of proportion, so whatevs.  Land of the free, home of the dead grannies... or something like that.

So the herd is being culled of boomers & people willing to pay money to see Post Malone & all his auto-tuned glory live?

Ok.

There are still a lot of people conjecturing about their illnesses in the last few weeks. I have been seeing a viral syndrome likely associated with adenovirus infection. There have been viral confirmations of this both at TDH and with our local system lab. I have not personally seen any of these progress to pneumonia or ARDS so I don’t think we saw Covid 19 prior to March.

Here’s a link to CDC information on the symptoms. They’re going to look really familiar. Now you know why diagnosing mild Covid clinically is such a bitch.

Adenovirus symptoms

• common cold or flu-like symptoms
  • fever
  • sore throat
  • acute bronchitis (inflammation of the airways of the lungs, sometimes called a “chest cold”)
  • pneumonia (infection of the lungs)
  • pink eye (conjunctivitis)
  • acute gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach or intestines causing diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and stomach pain)

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away