Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Anyone else surprised by the push-back to the masks?

I understand the thinking behind folks being upset about shuttered businesses, schools, etc.  But masks? You'd think people are being asked to cut off an arm. Such a minor inconvenience.

There was pushback during the 1918 pandemic against masks too.  

Anti-Mask League of San Francisco

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Mask_League_of_San_Francisco

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Guest Lobo

Just spread the rumor that the anti-mask League members of San Francisco did so because it inhibited fellatio.  You'll have every Cletii involved in some Shark Tank show where they figure out how to make N95 masks in their own garages in 20 minutes or less using nothing but a bandana, a vice clamp, some dish soap, and a bag of assorted brads.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

If I may, I think you may be referring to this line of inquiry. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/health/coronavirus-children-transmission-school.html

Studies so far indicate children are carriers, even if asymptomatic. 

There is a study out there suggesting children transmit at 30% the rate of adults when there is equal contact.  It was a pretty thorough methodology. 

Smallish sample for the number of variables.  I think the 3-sigma range was 10-50%.  But that's still a lot even on the high range.

Well for one, the ship didn’t get there until March 30, when half the deaths had already occurred.  Then that kinda ignores the fact that the most of patients we are speaking got infected and sick in the nursing home, before they went to the hospital and were returned to the nursing home.  So the virus was already there.  Not that it makes the situation better but go ahead and blame state officials if it makes you feel better.  You’re allowed to do that on this thread.  Just be sure to blame all of them.

I didn’t blame anybody, you asked what to do with them and I brought up a suggestion.

And half of the deaths by March 30? What? Yea you’re probably right that the virus was likely already in most homes by the time the ship arrived. What about the javits convention center?

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I didn’t blame anybody, you asked what to do with them and I brought up a suggestion.

And half of the deaths by March 30? What? Yea you’re probably right that the virus was likely already in most homes by the time the ship arrived. What about the javits convention center?

NYC deaths per day peaked around April 5.  And maybe you didn’t blame anyone directly, but the whole issue keeps getting usd alternately as an excuse, bludgeon or partisan dog whistle.  I was trying to point out that the issue was complicated, like this whole mess.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

Anyone else surprised by the push-back to the masks?

I understand the thinking behind folks being upset about shuttered businesses, schools, etc.  But masks? You'd think people are being asked to cut off an arm. Such a minor inconvenience.

No.   What's really surprising, is how many of the anti-mask folks look like they might have underlying conditions, and how much the anti-mask people bitch, when, from what I can tell, most of them are not in jobs that require them to wear masks all day.  Or they are in jobs where they can easily take time off to go bitch about masks.

And for fuck's sake, we've got a pretty loose definition of the term "mask", since I've seen everything from N95s down to paper-thin t-shirts being used for them.  So it's not like a "OH MY GOD THIS FANCY MASK IS MAKING IT HARD ON ME", it's like "wrap the thin-ass t-shirt once around your nose and mouth and you're good."  

And don't get me started on folks who don't even cover their noses.

The thing about the stats that's being discussed, anybody have a good guess on actual social distancing?  Because I doubt we ever came close to 70% or whatever number they wanted (some places wanted 90%).  We had too many businesses open, and too many people bored and going out-and-about.

• Like 1

I'm not blaming anyone.  I think it was a complete shit show for everyone to begin with.  I know if the feds would have shut down the government in February.  The United States would have revolted.  Seattle and San Francisco made their decisions earlier than any other city, because of what they saw.  They did it right, but for places that don't really have flare ups how do you just say stay home and keep staying home is my whole issue.  The only person that may have done the right thing in this whole situation was Rudy Golbert when he licked the microphones during his press conference.  That kinda got the entire sports world to say oh shit.  Adam Silver had the balls to do it.  Everyone else just kept flinging poop on each other and when shit hit the fan they pointed fingers.  I just don't like the revisionist history of any of this.  Policy and procedures are written in blood and this is an ugly lesson that we had to learn.  Local governments may be more proactive in shutting down their parts of the region.  Our federal government need to be more proactive on stopping flights from hotspots.  It has all been a shit show and we are still pointing fingers.  Hell on this thread, we've done nothing but point fingers at who is right and who is wrong.  We all are wrong.  I've been working the entire time, so it hasn't hit me financially whatsoever.  My roommate is a bartender and she's been out of work for 2 months.  The unemployment check for her has been great, yet my other buddies haven't seen a dime.  The girlfriend works for HISD and she has worked from home since it started.  This doesn't have a one size fits all for us and we shouldn't treat it as a one size fits all solution.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The thing about the stats that's being discussed, anybody have a good guess on actual social distancing?  Because I doubt we ever came close to 70% or whatever number they wanted (some places wanted 90%).  We had too many businesses open, and too many people bored and going out-and-about.

Hell all the restaurants and bars in Kemah and Seabrook have been open for a week now with none of the social distancing.  They have crowds of 300-500 plus at a time.  They will happily pay the 1000 fine if they make 35k in sales a day.  I don't go out of respect to my co-worker who runs the other board next to me.  He's 70 I'm 36.  I won't die but I would feel like shit if he got sick and it was due to me because I wanted to go have a drink

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

I'm not blaming anyone.  I think it was a complete shit show for everyone to begin with.  I know if the feds would have shut down the government in February.  The United States would have revolted.  Seattle and San Francisco made their decisions earlier than any other city, because of what they saw.  They did it right, but for places that don't really have flare ups how do you just say stay home and keep staying home is my whole issue.  The only person that may have done the right thing in this whole situation was Rudy Golbert when he licked the microphones during his press conference.  That kinda got the entire sports world to say oh shit.  Adam Silver had the balls to do it.  Everyone else just kept flinging poop on each other and when shit hit the fan they pointed fingers.  I just don't like the revisionist history of any of this.  Policy and procedures are written in blood and this is an ugly lesson that we had to learn.  Local governments may be more proactive in shutting down their parts of the region.  Our federal government need to be more proactive on stopping flights from hotspots.  It has all been a shit show and we are still pointing fingers.  Hell on this thread, we've done nothing but point fingers at who is right and who is wrong.  We all are wrong.  I've been working the entire time, so it hasn't hit me financially whatsoever.  My roommate is a bartender and she's been out of work for 2 months.  The unemployment check for her has been great, yet my other buddies haven't seen a dime.  The girlfriend works for HISD and she has worked from home since it started.  This doesn't have a one size fits all for us and we shouldn't treat it as a one size fits all solution.

Fucking rules, man!

8 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

My roommate is a bartender and she's been out of work for 2 months.  The unemployment check for her has been great, yet my other buddies haven't seen a dime.  The girlfriend works for HISD and she has worked from home since it started.  This doesn't have a one size fits all for us and we shouldn't treat it as a one size fits all solution.

Your roommates girlfriend or yours ? Either way, do you mind giving us a pic of them kissing ?

Edited by UTGrad98
pics

I remember Austin/Travis County estimating a reduction of 50 percent or better. Not sure if based on location data, business closures, our what. People really complied at first. Honestly the general public really exceeded my expectations. We had a solid four to six weeks where the vast majority were committed. I live in an area where ambient highway blouse from 360, MoPac, and 183 is always around. I remember being stunned at how quiet it was. You could hear the ring of your ears. That was the window to flatten the curve, which was accomplished, and prepare for the long haul, which is obviously tbd. At this point you have more people getting restless, which manifests itself in different ways.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It doesn't really pique Js1's interests if underaged and disadvantaged women aren't involved.  

Reminds me of the bitch about your family thread during the holidays. give me the good stories 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Reminds me of the bitch about your family thread during the holidays. give me the good stories 

spacer.png

I love her.   After she had the series on telling people to clear out a bunch of shit In their houses, she started up a company to sell her fans more expensive shit to put in their houses.  Fucking brilliant.  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

No.   What's really surprising, is how many of the anti-mask folks look like they might have underlying conditions, and how much the anti-mask people bitch, when, from what I can tell, most of them are not in jobs that require them to wear masks all day.  Or they are in jobs where they can easily take time off to go bitch about masks.

And for fuck's sake, we've got a pretty loose definition of the term "mask", since I've seen everything from N95s down to paper-thin t-shirts being used for them.  So it's not like a "OH MY GOD THIS FANCY MASK IS MAKING IT HARD ON ME", it's like "wrap the thin-ass t-shirt once around your nose and mouth and you're good."  

And don't get me started on folks who don't even cover their noses.

I wear a 3m n95 respirator at work all day. I have been since 3/13 when DC declared a state of emergency and nba season was postponed at multiple outpatient clinics in northern VA.

When the patients bitch and moan about wearing a mask; I like to point out that it's much easier to breathe through provided 

surgical masks then through a ventilator. I mostly acheive compliance.

• Like 4

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/18/857997341/new-coronavirus-vaccine-candidate-shows-promise-in-early-limited-trial?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

New Coronavirus Vaccine Candidate Shows Promise In Early, Limited Trial 

A vaccine manufacturer is reporting preliminary data suggesting its COVID-19 vaccine is safe, and appears to be eliciting in test subjects the kind of immune response capable of preventing disease.

Moderna, Inc., of Cambridge, Mass., developed the vaccine in collaboration with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. The results reported Monday come from an initial analysis of a Phase I study primarily designed to see if the vaccine is safe.

The company reports no serious side-effects; however, modest side-effects included redness at the injection site, headache, fever and flu-like symptoms, although none of these lasted more than a day.

The first 45 volunteers for the vaccine trial were divided into three groups, with each group getting a different dose of the vaccine. All groups got an initial shot, followed by a booster shot a month later.

In addition to safety, the company also looked at the vaccine's ability to induce antibodies to the coronavirus — what's known as its immunogenicity. It did, for all subjects at all dose levels. In addition, eight of the subjects were tested for the presence of neutralizing antibodies that prevent the virus from infecting cells in the laboratory. All eight did.

The Food and Drug Administration has given Moderna the green light to begin a Phase II study expected to enroll an additional 600 volunteers — half older than 55 — to provide additional immunogenicity data. The company hopes by July to begin a Phase III study, aimed at showing that the vaccine can actually prevent disease.

The Moderna vaccine is made using messenger RNA, or mRNA, a molecule containing the genetic instructions to make a protein on the coronavirus surface that is recognized by our immune systems. Although mRNA vaccines have been studied for several years, so far none has been licensed by the FDA.

The advantage of mRNA vaccines over more traditional vaccines is they can be made quickly. The company says it was just 63 days from the time Chinese scientists revealed the genetic sequence to the time a vaccine was injected into the first volunteer.

Moderna's is one of about a dozen COVID-19 vaccine candidates that have begun studies in humans.[/spolier]

[/Quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

The CEO of Moderna has been dumping stock since that announcement. And our sitting vaccine Czar has $10m in call options in Moderna as well. 

I hope that the news turns out to be as good as the early preliminary data looks, but this doesn't feel unlike a pump and dump

Just now, Captainant said:

The CEO of Moderna has been dumping stock since that announcement. And our sitting vaccine Czar has $10m in call options in Moderna as well. 

I hope that the news turns out to be as good as the early preliminary data looks, but this doesn't feel unlike a pump and dump

Do you even phase 1 N=8 bro. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Kids = asymptomatic carriers = spread to more vulnerable population = goodbye flattened curve if the krakens are released all at once.

Shutting schools/daycare was a primary component of slowing the spread and not overwhelming the hospitals.

The lack of childcare is an automatic stabilizer in the reopening. Just economic facts. Not an advocacy point. 

I think Australia has done a prelim study showing elementary kids have little to no symptoms and they're barely contagious.

Yup: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/children-unlikely-to-transmit-coronavirus-says-study-cited-in-pms-push-to-reopen-schools

He's 70 I'm 36.  I won't die but I would feel like shit if he got sick and it was due to me because I wanted to go have a drink

Last week I had a COVID+ patient with no comorbidities, in their early 30s, who was stuck on the ventilator. They might live; they might not. You might not die, but you also might.

No value judgement. I just don't want people thinking their age is necessarily protecting them from the worst of Corona. It can get anyone.
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

84%

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well this seems like great news. 

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/texas-soon-to-hire-around-5000-workers-contact-tracers-to-help-track-covid-19-pandemic/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Close to 50,000 Texans have tested positive for COVID-19 since March, and state leaders said they haven’t been able to contact every Texan who has tested positive.

The Department of State Health Services said they’d need a team of around 4,000 to 5,000 workers, including contact tracers, to contact those who have tested positive. Other jobs include case managers and epidemiologists.

Workforce Solutions Rural Capital Area is working to turn some of these temporary opportunities into long-term solutions by teaming up with its higher education partners to come up with a course or training program that will lead to careers in these fields.

At present, those interested in becoming a contact tracer are required to take a free online Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health course. Those interested in applying do not have to have a medical background.

WSRCA officials said they’re looking for people who at least have a high school diploma, as well as communication and computer skills. Hourly pay ranges between $14 to $19, and benefits WSRCA officials said will depend on the employer which could be the state department, a local agency or a hospital. Officials are working to finalize the details to be able to fill the job positions.

“We need to make sure that we can have these positions filled so that we can mitigate any type of outbreak that happens in our community and really quickly identified what happened, what causes to happen, and how can we prevent that from happening again,” Diane Tackett, WSRCA’s chief operating officer said. “This is very critical for us and it’s a high priority for us to really recruit quickly and get those positions filled.”

In Travis County, Workforce Solutions Capital Area officials said they’re working with Austin Public Health to figure out when they will begin to assist in hiring to help fill contact tracing jobs.

Both organizations said they will use the National Dislocated Worker Grant funds from the Texas Workforce Commission to cover part of the wages for these jobs. WSCA said they will be able to use those funds to cover 100% of the wages for the positions for up to one year.

At present, the Texas Workforce Commission said there are thousands of jobs available and people can apply online.

Edited by B00M

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

There wasn't one girl in that beach video who should be seen in public wearing a swimsuit.  That clip will keep my ass away from Galveston for the rest of my life. 

That’s not even Galveston. That’s Bolivar, which is in Galveston County but makes Galveston proper look like Monaco. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

Last week I had a COVID+ patient with no comorbidities, in their early 30s, who was stuck on the ventilator. They might live; they might not. You might not die, but you also might.

No value judgement. I just don't want people thinking their age is necessarily protecting them from the worst of Corona. It can get anyone.

Rarity though right?  

14 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Rarity though right?  

The National Center for Health Statistics has counted 499 deaths under the age of 35 from a total of 60,304 Covid-19 deaths (lags other numbers due to the additional review). It also has counted an additional 1,040 deaths in the 35-44 age bracket and 2,979 deaths in the 45-54 age bracket. I'd say the death numbers alone are enough to say it isn't a rare event, but individual risk is pretty low. 

Guest Lobo

I assume NCHS (who by god, by title alone, should be quite accurate) is basing those numbers off the roughly 92,000+/- that have died thus far? 

That makes me feel a hint better, I thought my bracket was making up more like 5% of all deaths.  But yeah, as aggregate, this thing is wiping out way more people under 65 than I think most Americans realize.  Never mind what we're passing along to our own parents.  

Just now, Lobo said:

I assume NCHS (who by god, by title alone, should be quite accurate) is basing those numbers off the roughly 92,000+/- that have died thus far? 

That makes me feel a hint better, I thought my bracket was making up more like 5% of all deaths.  But yeah, as aggregate, this thing is wiping out way more people under 65 than I think most Americans realize.  Never mind what we're passing along to our own parents.  

No, it is based on the death certificates it has reviewed to date. Those total 60,304 Covid-19 deaths. It it behind the other counts just because it takes time to submit and review death certificates. 

Relative percentages from the NCHS data are as follows:

Row Labels Sum of COVID-19 Deaths Percentage of Deaths
All sex 60,304 100.0000%
Under 1 year 4 0.0066%
1-4 years 2 0.0033%
5-14 years 7 0.0116%
15-24 years 65 0.1078%
25-34 years 421 0.6981%
35-44 years 1,040 1.7246%
45-54 years 2,979 4.9400%
55-64 years 7,343 12.1766%
65-74 years 12,695 21.0517%
75-84 years 16,360 27.1292%
85 years and over 19,388 32.1504%
Grand Total 60,304 100.0000%
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The National Center for Health Statistics has counted 499 deaths under the age of 35 from a total of 60,304 Covid-19 deaths (lags other numbers due to the additional review). It also has counted an additional 1,040 deaths in the 35-44 age bracket and 2,979 deaths in the 45-54 age bracket. I'd say the death numbers alone are enough to say it isn't a rare event, but individual risk is pretty low. 

Pretty rare to me

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

No, it is based on the death certificates it has reviewed to date. Those total 60,304 Covid-19 deaths. It it behind the other counts just because it takes time to submit and review death certificates. 

Relative percentages from the NCHS data are as follows:

Row Labels Sum of COVID-19 Deaths Percentage of Deaths
All sex 60,304 100.0000%
Under 1 year 4 0.0066%
1-4 years 2 0.0033%
5-14 years 7 0.0116%
15-24 years 65 0.1078%
25-34 years 421 0.6981%
35-44 years 1,040 1.7246%
45-54 years 2,979 4.9400%
55-64 years 7,343 12.1766%
65-74 years 12,695 21.0517%
75-84 years 16,360 27.1292%
85 years and over 19,388 32.1504%
Grand Total 60,304 100.0000%

I don't want to sound ungrateful to the good people at NCHS, but 60,000 deaths was 3 weeks ago.  If they need 3 weeks to review the date of birth and date of death on a certificate and then do the maths, I'm more than happy to help.  The idle brain power and computing capacity in this country right now is nearly infinite.  They should outsource some of this shit so we can get close to real time data.  I know there's more to do it than calculating age, but this seems like a time to start using outsourcing.  You can strip the name off the certificate and just scan them out to local agencies for review.  I dunno, but we just went through a half decade in this country talking about "Big Data" and how all these computers were gonna model shit for us and let us see into the future with so much more precision.  And here we are, every government agency at every level dragging us on everything that involves data.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away