CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

A flag mask over the mouth is extremely distasteful to me. It displays (for me) all of the selective choices regarding American and world history that people make when advancing their pet cause. Who was it, George Carlin? Someone posted a video of him here where he mentioned the protestors overseas that light themselves on fire. If you want a haircut or to protest that bad, then singe it off Karen. The Nazis sure did to their victims.

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

And they are already severely outgunned if they truly are trying to protect against government oppression. None of those fuckwads stand a chance against a drone or tank.

They want to play dress up and intimidate people all while making it inherently more dangerous for the population at large.

Yeah it's always good for a chuckle when the bubbas start talking about their AR15 being a check on the federal government. 

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Client friend's business is next door to one of the Mi Cocina's here in Dallas.  He said it is crazy over there.  2 plus hour wait all afternoon, people lined up for their Corona-ritas.

That fucking sounds good, of I didn't have to wake up at 4 in the morning I'd make on myself.

uh, has this been discussed yet?  did i miss it?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/30/politics/trump-intelligence-community-china-coronavirus-origins/index.html

President Donald Trump contradicted a rare on-the-record statement from his own intelligence community by claiming Thursday that he has seen evidence that gives him a "high degree of confidence" the novel coronavirus originated in a laboratory in Wuhan, China, but declined to provide details to back up his assertion.

The comments undercut a public statement from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence issued just hours earlier which stated no such assessment has been made and continues to "rigorously examine" whether the outbreak "began through contact with infected animals or if it was the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan."

"Yes, I have," Trump said when asked whether he's seen evidence that would suggest the virus originated in the lab. Later, asked why he was confident in that assessment, Trump demurred.

"I can't tell you that. I'm not allowed to tell you that," he said.

This thread moves fast, so I may have missed this.

All roads into Gallup, New Mexico, are closing over "uninhibited" COVID-19 spread

New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham invoked the state's Riot Control Act on Friday to essentially lock down the city of Gallup after its mayor requested that she do so on Thursday. Under the act, all roads leading into Gallup are now closed off "to mitigate the uninhibited spread of COVID-19 in that city."

"Effective at 12 p.m., May 1, all roads into Gallup are closed. Businesses in the city of Gallup will close from 5 p.m. through 8 a.m. Vehicles may only have a maximum of two individuals. Residents of the city should remain at home except for emergency outings and those essential for health, safety and welfare," Grisham's office said in a press release.

Gallup, a city of nearly 22,000 people about 100 miles west of Albuquerque, has been particularly affected by the coronavirus. As of Friday, McKinley County, where Gallup is located, had 1,027 confirmed cases and 19 deaths, according to the New Mexico Department of Health. The county now has the highest number of cases in all of New Mexico, which has 3,411 cases in total. 

So I’ve been thinking about the post trump loses the election world lately. Because he will lose. Then he will starts talking about illegitimate votes and whatnot then will eventually have to back down.

My question is what do we do with the trumpkins? While many of them are old and will eventually die what do we do with the younger White uneducated males that 40 years of republican policy has now rendered useless? 

Because let’s not forget that our only problem is not just trump.  For forty years nihilistic neo republicans have set in place what we have today, which was a crap servitude society unequal even before the virus hit, selling and profit in to the world, and exposed the calamity of it all.

Before the virus hit, every day I walked in Austin I saw increasing homelessness all over the place. The republicans like the sack would tell you that was because of their own bad choices. The fact that the sack would say that proves it wrong. In fact, we had designed a society that ensure that would happen. The virus only exposed it. 

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I'll be the first to admit, I am awful at spotting photoshop on the internet.  Is that real?  Does her sign really say that?  Who the hell was she directing at that?  I mean, who is she gesturing towards/who is that guy to her left looking at?  I'm willing to entertain this is staged only because I don't want to believe this type of hatred is already brewing 6 months out of the election.

Here's a fun exercise.  Talking with my neighbors, what are we gonna do to replace the handshake in Western Society?  The two kiss Euro thing, the Latin American hug, the bro half-hug/handshake, etc.  None of those are gonna be back in style in a few months.  They're all gone for at least 50 years, maybe forever.  The elbow bump thing while topical, is just too silly for everyday use.  We may as well just nod.  I don't see us taking on the bow, although it could work well.  Here's my very simple and elegant question...I bet dollars to donuts that at least 50% of Trump supporters would be in favor of bringing back the Bellamy Salute as the new social/business physical interaction, if you reminded them that it did in fact have its roots in the U.S. in the 1920's and 1930's (which is true, BTW).  Half of them would go for it if they knew it was American by background.  That's where we are.

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

My question is what do we do with the trumpkins? While many of them are old and will eventually die what do we do with the younger White uneducated males that 40 years of republican policy has now rendered useless? 

That is your new Republican Party. They'll win so much you'll get tired of winning.

Garden variety terrorists usually risk death like a soldier. As you state, these are pussified terrorists more akin to furries than fusiliers. 
There are doubtless genuine American terrorists out there such as the skinheads who enlist to learn about weapons and explosives. Timothy McVeigh serves as an example. These guys parading around like fools likely worship that murderer but wouldn't dare face law enforcement or the Army no matter how much they cream themselves dreaming about it.
I've never been a soldier, but I've made a point of learning second hand that actual combat is nothing like playing with your GI Joe.
Basic training at Fort YouTube.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'll be the first to admit, I am awful at spotting photoshop on the internet.  Is that real?  Does her sign really say that?  Who the hell was she directing at that?  I mean, who is she gesturing towards/who is that guy to her left looking at?  I'm willing to entertain this is staged only because I don't want to believe this type of hatred is already brewing 6 months out of the election.

I don't think it is photoshopped. Here are photos from a Chicago station, (https://www.wbez.org/stories/photos-hundreds-gather-downtown-to-protest-stay-at-home-order-extension/a7def14c-b547-44db-a5a0-84d6af097a04)and while the photo above was not in their collection, there are a variety of signs the protestors carried. The one that struck me was the one that said:

"Please Cover Your Face....Try A Paper Bag."

This wasn't a sign, but look at the social distancing in Lansing....not.

Protesters occupy the state capitol building during a vote to approve the extension of Governor Gretchen Whitmer's emergency declaration/stay-at-home order in Lansing, Michigan, April 30, 2020.  REUTERS/Seth Herald

At many of the protests, former and current off duty healthcare workers counter protested. It could be that the woman was gesturing toward someone that was with the Twitter account holder or in a similar occupation as he lists RN after his name.

54 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So I’ve been thinking about the post trump loses the election world lately. Because he will lose.

I don’t see it happening as much as I want it to and as much as I’m praying.  I don’t know how anyone can be confident he will lose when Republicans/Conservatives and Trump will use every dirty trick to stay in power including asking for Russia’s help and suppressing the vote of Blacks and Latinos. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I don’t see it happening as much as I want it to and as much as I’m praying.  I don’t know how anyone can be confident he will lose when Republicans/Conservatives and Trump will use every dirty trick to stay in power including asking for Russia’s help and suppressing the vote of Blacks and Latinos. 

Because the American economy is going in the toilet and will stay that way for at least a year.

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

These people are fucking nuts. 

When people start marching on state capitals while armed the question isn't what is wrong with these people.  The question is what is wrong with these state governments.  No one ever marches on a state capital carrying a weapon if they feel like the government is actually carrying out the will of the people.  This only happens when the people feel that the government is not carrying out their will.

• Fuck You 19

13 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

When people start marching on state capitals while armed the question isn't what is wrong with these people.  The question is what is wrong with these state governments.  No one ever marches on a state capital carrying a weapon if they feel like the government is actually carrying out the will of the people.  This only happens when the people feel that the government is not carrying out their will.

This has gotta be a troll job.

Nobody could possibly be this deliberately ignorant.

• Like 4

Trump administration wants to know if universities are taking money from China that they don't know about, including the University of Texas. Curious this article just came out same day WH said they'll block Fauci from speaking to the House committee.

U.S. Probes University of Texas Links to Chinese Lab https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB13sOvn?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

18 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

The amount of people tells you that their ideas are shit and it’s only a small number of people who actually are upset with the state governments.  Surely they taught you common sense at fucking cow ass Kay-state.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

Pretty sure this was also the Catholic Church's opinion of Galileo.

So now you're backing science over politics? Pick a fucking side and stick with it already.

• Like 7

You've confused the will of AstroTurf for the will of the people.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Trump administration wants to know if universities are taking money from China that they don't know about, including the University of Texas. Curious this article just came out same day WH said they'll block Fauci from speaking to the House committee.

U.S. Probes University of Texas Links to Chinese Lab https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB13sOvn?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

I'm torn on this. On one hand, the US needs to have a presence in China through CDC/WHO in order to have a proper response (or any response for that matter) when COVID type shit happens again. On the other hand, the Chinese can not be trusted because they spy and steal American technology. At the end of the day, it's equally fuck Trump (and his supporters) and fuck communist China (especially you Winnie the Pooh!).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Historically the 2d Am. was viewed strictly as a public right.  Berger court changed all of that.

I think you mean historically it was ignored, at least judicially.  I don't believe the Burger court ruled on the Second Amendment.  The first decision to explicitly hold it an individual right was Heller, which was decided by the Roberts court.

• Like 1

This is all a literal dress rehearsal for the shit they're gonna pull after Trump is defeated/dies/resigns later this year.  The mass shootings this nation has endured are nothing compared to what's next.  
I actually didn't vote for Obama in the first term because I didn't think this country was ready for a black president.

Turns out I was correct, but instead of him ending up like MLK; it's been a bunch of passive aggressive bullshit, Fox news watching and Cosplay.

These " men" are cowards Donny.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm torn on this. On one hand, the US needs to have a presence in China through CDC/WHO in order to have a proper response (or any response for that matter) when COVID type shit happens again. On the other hand, the Chinese can not be trusted because they spy and steal American technology. At the end of the day, it's equally fuck Trump (and his supporters) and fuck communist China (especially you Winnie the Pooh!).

The biggest mistake Democrats are doing is allowing trumpkins to claim this narrative and twisting it to their benefit. Democrats can't see past their hatred for trump, or his clusterfuck of a response to all this, but the Chinese government needs to pay for this. This is, what, the 3rd novel virus to originate from exotic wet markets in 20 years? Now obviously isn't the time to start pointing fingers but I really hope when the dust settles, sanctions/ tariffs are applied until this shit stops. Peoples health and  the global economy shouldn't have to be gravely endangered because one country won't properly regulate markets. 

• Like 1