CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

IMHO, that is a low risk situation. 

That's where we're at, but I was hoping you or someone had data. I'm having a bitch of a time finding it on google. But I swear I saw somewhere on here someone had posted that the first dose is around 90% effective at stopping hospitalizations. 

Just now, BradInATX said:

That's where we're at, but I was hoping you or someone had data. I'm having a bitch of a time finding it on google. But I swear I saw somewhere on here someone had posted that the first dose is around 90% effective at stopping hospitalizations. 

Don't let the data be paralyzing. We look really fucking good before the dorks get involved. 

25 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Wouldn't that make sense considering the J&J data where it prevented 85% of severe cases in a time the variants are far more rampant? Honestly, at this point it's your MIL's choice because she's the one assuming the risk. But I agree with @Anastasis, seems like a pretty low risk situation. But I'm also an idiot, so take that for what it's worth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I understand that it's pretty low risk. But it's still high risk in a sense, because my MIL is pretty much a "will die if she gets it" type. Tough decision. Hopefully one of the last of this type we'll have to make after a year of them.

If you're really that conflicted as a couple, tell her no and that you'd love to schedule 14 days after dose #2. Personal anecdote: my entire extended family got together for Christmas and Covid ran rampant. Before this idiocy, I told my Mom and Dad we were not going no matter what and they thought I was kind of being a dick about it. They were glad I stuck to my guns. 

If y'all feel strongly about it, stick to your guns and you can always laugh about this 2 years from now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

There isn't data for that because it wasn't tested for 4,6,8,12,20 or whatever weeks after only one dose. It's a guess at this point even for the scientists who created it. What I saw they do feel confident that getting the 2nd dose up to 8 weeks after the first should still be very effective but nothing about only one dose. As far as I've seen anywhere

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

AZN releasing some data on extended interval between 1st and 2nd dose. Analysis focusses on the outcomes after first dose.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3777268

Abstract

Background: The ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (AZD1222) vaccine has been approved for emergency use by the UK regulatory authority, MHRA, with a regimen of two standard doses given with an interval of between 4 and 12 weeks. The planned rollout in the UK will involve vaccinating people in high risk categories with their first dose immediately, and delivering the second dose 12 weeks later.Here we provide both a further prespecified pooled analysis of trials of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 and exploratory analyses of the impact on immunogenicity and efficacy of extending the interval between priming and booster doses. In addition, we show the immunogenicity and protection afforded by the first dose, before a booster dose has been offered.

Methods: We present data from phase III efficacy trials of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 in the United Kingdom and Brazil, and phase I/II clinical trials in the UK and South Africa, against symptomatic disease caused by SARS-CoV-2. The data cut-off date for these analyses was 7th December 2020. The accumulated cases of COVID-19 disease at this cut-off date exceeds the number required for a pre-specified final analysis, which is also presented. As previously described, individuals over 18 years of age were randomised 1:1 to receive two standard doses (SD) of ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 (5x1010 viral particles) or a control vaccine/saline placebo. In the UK trial efficacy cohort a subset of participants received a lower dose (LD, 2.2x1010 viral particles) of the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 for the first dose. All cases with a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) were adjudicated for inclusion in the analysis, by a blinded independent endpoint review committee. Studies are registered at ISRCTN89951424 and ClinicalTrials.gov; NCT04324606, NCT04400838, and NCT04444674.

Findings: 17,177 baseline seronegative trial participants were eligible for inclusion in the efficacy analysis, 8948 in the UK, 6753 in Brazil and 1476 in South Africa, with 619 documented NAAT +ve infections of which 332 met the primary endpoint of symptomatic infection >14 days post dose 2.The primary analysis of overall vaccine efficacy >14 days after the second dose including LD/SD and SD/SD groups, based on the prespecified criteria was 66.7% (57.4%,  74.0%). There were no hospitalisations in the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 group after the initial 21 day exclusion period, and 15 in the control group. Vaccine efficacy after a single standard dose of vaccine from day 22 to day 90 post vaccination was 76% (59%, 86%), and modelled analysis indicated that protection did not wane during this initial 3 month period. Similarly, antibody levels were maintained during this period with minimal waning by day 90 day (GMR 0.66, 95% CI 0.59, 0.74).In the SD/SD group, after the second dose, efficacy was higher with a longer prime-boost interval: VE 82.4% 95%CI 62.7%, 91.7% at 12+ weeks, compared with VE 54.9%, 95%CI 32.7%, 69.7% at <6 weeks. These observations are supported by immunogenicity data which showed binding antibody responses more than 2-fold higher after an interval of 12 or more weeks compared with and interval of less than 6 weeks GMR 2.19 (2.12, 2.26) in those who were 18-55 years of age.

Interpretation: ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccination programmes aimed at vaccinating a large proportion of the population with a single dose, with a second dose given after a 3 month period is an effective strategy for reducing disease, and may be the optimal for rollout of a pandemic vaccine when supplies are limited in the short term.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

State that has less than 900,000 residents I think. I know it's under a million. If she is going to run for Prez, I cannot vote for someone who treats me, human capital stock, so cavalierly.

Trumpism. Just lie until it becomes truth. 

With my unique approach, I helped so many girls. - R. Kelly

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Cases are returning to pre-Holiday levels.  Shouldn't the Super Bowl be cancelled if we are serious about reducing cases?

I keep seeing these "tips for hosting a safe Super Bowl party" lists ("Don't cheer!"). Hey, I've got a good one. Maybe don't have a Super Bowl Party. 

• Hook 'Em 7

It should be the last surge event before mass vaccination and warmer weather.  Seems like a no-brainer but no one really gives a shit 

Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, spring break, St. Patrick’s, Easter... There’s no shortage of opportunities for it to spread, particularly with newer variants on track to become dominant. I do expect a spring surge. Maybe not winter holiday level, but we have one more coming.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Shit that’s the lowest figure I’ve seen on that answer by a long shot

Fucking right. That actually makes me optimistic. How high would that number be if Trump didn't take credit for the vaccine? Shit, it's arguably the best thing he ever did as President.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

It wasn't avoidable.  We could have done marginally better but go look at deaths per capita in western Europe.  We're not some huge outlier.

We used to be the leader of the free world. Richest country in history, plans for pandemics and the never in history beforehand resources to implement them. 

We were the opposite of that for 4 years and by the time Covid hit, we were actually a huge detriment to the Covid response. I’ll give you one guess why. 

We will never know what we could have done, since we basically did nothing, (slow the testing down people’s!!!), but we do know what we did do. Which was totally shit the bed and killed a whole bunch of people. 

Shame. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Could feasibly be at 70M with at least one dose by end of the month.  More than reasonable to expect 100M with at least one dose by end of March.  

And JNJ should start shipping in late feb/early march. Seeing delivery of 100MM doses by end of June being through around.  We would be deep into general and wide scale vaccination at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

$244.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/medical-debt-is-not-a-vaccine-barrier/73-aec75a0d-90e2-48d9-9a63-242e8869baa1

A 72-year-old from Longmont said he had an appointment for his first COVID-19 vaccine this week, but it got canceled on him because he had medical debt.

Advocacy groups working to ensure access to the vaccine said that once someone is deemed eligible and has an appointment, no financial barrier should stop them from getting the shot.

“I never expected to have to pay up and be square before I could get the vaccine,” Michael Rogan said. “I thought by my being 72 and a cancer patient that I would qualify and it would be no problem.”

Rogan, who lives in Longmont with his partner Liz Kitzerow, said he spent several weeks trying to secure a vaccine appointment. They were finally successful this past week, making an appointment with Boulder Medical Center.

“They called me on Tuesday and scheduled the first and second doses of the vaccine,” Rogan said. “Then on Wednesday, I got a call from someone else in the organization saying that I wouldn’t be able to get the vaccine until I paid my outstanding bill.”

The bill was $243.85 from a previous, unrelated treatment.

"This needs to be paid before you can schedule a vaccine appointment..." an e-mail Rogan received from the health center reads.

Due to the pandemic and his cancer diagnosis, Rogan and Kitzerow said they are not currently working. They admitted to having medical debt due to these circumstances, but Rogan said he was “flabbergasted” that the debt would prevent him from getting a vaccine.

“I know I owe them money, but I don't think it should be tied to [the vaccine],” he said.

“I thought it was totally unethical,” Kitzerow added. “It was my understanding, as well, that everything was free, and nothing standing in the way for Americans to get this vaccine.”

The vaccine is free.

Spoiler

9NEWS contacted Boulder Medical Center Thursday afternoon. That same evening, Rogan got a personal call from the medical center’s CEO.

Rogan said the medical center apologized and told him this was an error in vaccine policy. Rogan said the medical center would try to get him on the vaccine list for the next day.

“It’s a light at the end of the tunnel,” Rogan said.

Friday morning, Rogan said he was scheduled to get the vaccine that day. He also said, when the medical center called him Thursday night, the center told him they would review the details of his medical debt and work with him on finding solutions.

Adam Fox is the Deputy Director of Colorado Consumer Health Initiative, a non-profit advocacy group that works to ensure equitable and affordable access to healthcare in Colorado.

“As it stands, there should be no copay, no out-of-pocket that anybody faces to receive the vaccine,” he said. “It doesn’t matter what insurance you have, or if you’re uninsured, you should be able to receive the vaccine at no out-of-pocket cost to yourself.”

Fox called what happened to Rogan “egregious” in the context of a global pandemic when the goal is to vaccinate as many people as quickly as possible.

“It’s really important, especially when it comes to vaccine, once you’re eligible to receive it and you are able to get an appointment time, you should encounter no additional barriers to receiving that," he said. "And if you do, you need to reach out to us at the Colorado Consumer Health Initiative, the Colorado Division of Insurance, or the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, because something has gone wrong.”

When you’re eligible, you’re eligible. And it’s fair to question any barrier standing between you and the COVID-19 vaccine.

Polis sent a statement by e-mail Thursday night:

“The Governor had been clear that there should be no barrier to receiving the vaccine and the state has been very clear with providers about providing the vaccine to Coloradans in the most efficient way possible. We hope this is just a minor misstep and the person is invited back to get their vaccine right away. We are working with providers across Colorado to remove barriers to accessing this life-saving and crisis-ending vaccine."

• Rage+1 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:26 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nope, we could have led to contain the virus early and prevented many of the deaths in Europe...But we disbanded our pandemic response team years earlier because it was part of the Black man’s administration. We are the economic and military superpower on this planet and we said fuck it when it came time to act like one.  The idea that this wasn’t avoidable also ignores all the countries that successfully contained the virus. 

Moreover, I know it’s easy to blame China and they share most of the responsibility, but just for laughs, let’s say this thing was an actual biological warfare attack...What does it say about our defenses against that?  What conclusion can be drawn from our vulnerability to this type of warfare? We have basically outed ourselves as a weak nation, not capable of protecting our own population on the same level as other developed countries. Some superpower we have here. Or maybe the superpower part is only to serve as protection for the existing wealth and power in this country. Fuck the actual people, they’re expendable.

/rant

I will never forget the much maligned Fauci response in one of his earliest interviews prior to the pandemic surging. His relating the experience of when it looks like you are doing too much it is probably just barely enough, because the virus is always one step ahead. That the complaints in that regard are better to suffer through than to look back in hindsight with regret that one didn't do enough.

Here we are.

• Like 1

Could feasibly be at 70M with at least one dose by end of the month.  More than reasonable to expect 100M with at least one dose by end of March.  

Yep and based on polling only about 130mm are going to take it right away. We're going to be in "if you want it you can find a shot with a small amount of effort" territory by April, and "they'll be knocking on doors trying to give it out" by June.

Wife and I booked Vegas for early May last night. Can't wait. Fuck a pandemic.
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yep and based on polling only about 130mm are going to take it right away. We're going to be in "if you want it you can find a shot with a small amount of effort" territory by April, and "they'll be knocking on doors trying to give it out" by June.

I expect pretty much everybody in the US who really wants a vaccine to have gotten it by 4/15.  The main risk to society now is the anti-vaxxers (and people in poor countries) incubating variants that might be vaccine-resistant.  I am not all that worried about that, but if that happens I will probably go (fully) insane.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

Wife (pregnant af) / FiL and my dad all have appointments for their first shots in the coming weeks. MiL already has her first and will be getting her second dose next week I think. 

things are gaining momentum and it’s the first time I’ve felt semi optimistic about all this mess since...well, the beginning. Biden admin is taking concrete steps to get shots in arms and the results are evident within my own orbit. Long way to go but I’m encouraged. 

that vanity fair article makes my piss boil. In a just world these miserable fucks would be flayed, flogged, and forced to dig graves for the victims of their boundless negligence. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

We were looking at Kauai flights last night. Credits to burn!

• Like 1