Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

There's a lot of racist stuff that a lot of people think is harmless (e.g. "all Asians are good at math") that is actually harmful, but in ways they don't understand.  This is worse than that though, because we know this is some of the exact type of rhetoric that led to the Holocaust. If you're a decent person who says something that you didn't realize is harmful, you might listen to an explanation of why it's harmful and go "oh, ok, sorry, I won't do that again." But if you're a stupid asshole, you double down with "derrrr idiots of course Jews like money! it's not offensive! Why can't people say stuff like this anymore!?"

• Hook 'Em 5

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Parliament said:

He defends Andrew Tate:

I'm not sure I would call it defending. I didn't listen to the whole thing, so maybe there are Rogan statements I missed but here is what I took out of it.

• Rogan thinks Tate's public persona is a bit of an act, like a heel in wrestling. I can see that. This is confined to what Tate says in terms of how to treat people (men and women) not his actions.
  • Rogan take the safe position that if Tate did what he's been accused of, he should go to jail. To me, given what Tate has said about running webcam businesses, I would give the odds of him, committing these crimes, as high. That being said, I don't see him being convicted since I assume money can buy his freedom.

It’s not at all going out on a limb to say someone guilty of human trafficking and possibly rape should be in jail. What a hero. 

Also, how much of an act can it be if you’re trafficking women? Like Tate’s not really much of an abusive misogynist when the camera is off?  lolk. Rogan probably felt like he had to say something with a soft touch at least bc a significant portion of their audiences overlap.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

It’s not at all going out on a limb to say someone guilty of human trafficking and possibly rape should be in jail. What a hero. 

Also, how much of an act can it be if you’re trafficking women? Like Tate’s not really much of an abusive misogynist when the camera is off?  lolk. Rogan probably felt like he had to say something with a soft touch at least bc a significant portion of their audiences overlap.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not sure I would call it defending. I didn't listen to the whole thing, so maybe there are Rogan statements I missed but here is what I took out of it.

• Rogan thinks Tate's public persona is a bit of an act, like a heel in wrestling. I can see that. This is confined to what Tate says in terms of how to treat people (men and women) not his actions.
  • Rogan take the safe position that if Tate did what he's been accused of, he should go to jail. To me, given what Tate has said about running webcam businesses, I would give the odds of him, committing these crimes, as high. That being said, I don't see him being convicted since I assume money can buy his freedom.

Thanks for listening so I don’t have to. Anyway, acting like a hateful piece of shit misogynist and encouraging others to do so is not really at all different from just being a hateful piece of shit misogynist, you don’t get points just because you don’t really “believe” it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Pancho said:

Are these the same guys? I keep hearing this guy complain about not being able to stop his wife from divorcing him. I feel like he a rogain are the same person, are they not?

Rogan's been married about 15 years so doesn't seem like it. 

To me Rogan always seemed like a guy who waded into the political bullshit waters but who had no idea what any of it was really about. He likes doing comedy, his show, and combat/outdoor sports and that's about the extent of his knowledge. 

I don't think he's a nefarious character like the alt right jagoffs and republicans in general. Just a generally clueless dude outside of his bubble of expertise. 

4 minutes ago, safe sex said:

He may not have started out being intentionally nefarious, but I feel like there has been enough of a pattern at this point.

He certainly lending the size of his platform to some specific voices / interests. Hard to argue that he's not aware of that, at least on some level.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Naw, you don't platform the most pernicious antivaxxers if you aren't trying to be a conservative pundit. 

Oh he really believes the antivax stuff. He lived it. I'm not sure if he's ever been vaxxed for covid or not but I don't believe so. Then last year he apologized for any vaccine misinformation that a guest on his show propagated. What hard core republican shit bag apologizes for anything? 

He just doesn't strike me as the same as them. 

58 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Oh he really believes the antivax stuff. He lived it. I'm not sure if he's ever been vaxxed for covid or not but I don't believe so. Then last year he apologized for any vaccine misinformation that a guest on his show propagated. What hard core republican shit bag apologizes for anything? 

He’s different than them, but he’s very comfortable profiting from the whole right wing grift.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

saying that he listens to his lawyers better than the other assholes is not saying much

He wasn't under threat of legal action. If that was the case then trump and fox and every right wing podcaster with a big following would have been sued to shit for the bleach and pool cleaner shit they were all spewing. They weren't. 

I think it's important to tell the difference between people I disagree with and people I disagree with who are nefariously attempting to cause harm for their own gain. To me there's a big difference between a guy who is vocally against the vaccine and doesn't take it and these other shit heads who are vocally against the vaccine but jumped up to be first in line to get it ASAP

On 4/28/2023 at 1:48 PM, Hermanator said:

They guy sunk a fuck ton of money in a comedy club in Austin, and then only invited people like Roseanne Barr to do comedy. Looking at the roster of folks now, lets see.

Tony Hinchcliffe - 

In May 2021, Hinchcliffe was videotaped insulting Peng Dang, an Asian American comedian who had introduced Hinchcliffe after performing the previous set at Vulcan Gas Company in Austin. Hinchcliffe referred to Dang as a "filthy little fucking chink", followed with a series of Asian stereotypes in a mock Chinese accent, and lashed out at audience members who laughed at Dang's jokes, branding them as "race traitors". The video was later shown on Twitter, resulting in heavy backlash against Hinchcliffe.[19] Hinchcliffe was reportedly dropped by his agency WME and removed from two scheduled shows with Joe Rogan in Austin due to the controversy.[20][21]

In an interview with Dang, Vulture reported that during his set, Hinchcliffe stated that Chinese people came to Austin because of the bats and criticized offended audience members for "believing he was serious".[22] Dang said that he did not receive any apology from Hinchcliffe following the incident.

So this guy was REMOVED from a tour with Rogan in 2021, and now Rogan gives him a half dozen comedy shows in Austin. 

Doug Stanhope - 

Doug Stanhope (born March 25, 1967)[1] is an American stand-up comedian, author, political activist and podcast host. His stand-up material favors caustic and often obscene observations of life in the style of Bill Hicks and Bill Burr, which he delivers while consuming alcohol. Politically, he has favored libertarianism and once endorsed the Free State Project, a proposed political migration of at least 20,000 libertarians to a single low-population state to foster libertarian ideas.

No pattern here either, I guess. 

• Rage+1 3

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Stanhope is not a political activist.

Do I trust your opinion over Wikipedia, which has cited instances of his political behavior? The point is, the guy is inherently political. After a dozen minutes of research, I've also seen him say child abuse isn't so bad, rape is ok in some situations, etc. 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do I trust your opinion over Wikipedia, which has cited instances of his political behavior? The point is, the guy is inherently political. After a dozen minutes of research, I've also seen him say child abuse isn't so bad, rape is ok in some situations, etc. 

I’ve listened to a lot of his stand up, audiobooks, and podcasts over the years.  He just says shocking things for laughs.  The guy is pretty clearly an apolitical drunk comedian.  He’s gone on record more than once saying he was briefly interested in Libertarianism, but got over it quick.

I think Rogan has very much embedded himself into right wing media.  His long time friendship with Doug Stanhope is not an example of it.

I actually think I have a better handle on Stanhope than Wikipedia.  I will add that I kinda quit following comedians since COVID.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

In the 1500’s jesters could get away with a lot of insults that would get other members of court in trouble. But they were court jesters and were otherwise social pariahs. They were seen as pets.

Flashforward to now with all these comedians wanting to insult others AND want the exclusive invites, premium acting jobs, and the luxuries of fame.

You shouldnt be able to have both: infamy and respect. Do you want to critique society or be part of it? How can you critique the power elite if you are part of it?

Joe Rogan and other comedians lament a time when they could get away with a lot. But society is in a new place and is fractured. And, how long will “too soon” jokes be funny? Since they’re no longer cutting edge, they lose value. Though they can still be funny given context.

The off-putting insults of others misery are now part of a very real path to dystopia where the value of human life is diminished. Its not as funny all the time.

Simply put: Rogan is now more Alex Jones than Bill Hicks. He’s sold out and has aligned with a power elite.

Are you Lenny Bruce, willing to go to prison for free speech? Or, are you Greg Gutfeld, telling unfunny jokes and acting victimize when other people exercise their free speech to complain about you?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would have pegged Doug Stanhope as the definition of Surly’s wheelhouse

He's friends with Joe Rogan, hang the man. Would rather be on Epstein's personal calendar than be known as a friend of Joe "Fear Factor host turned mega millionaire podcaster who things seem to be going well despite ardent wishes and thread titles" Rogan.

Joe Rogan? That guy is pure evil.

• Fuck You 10

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Stanhope is not a political activist.

6 hours ago, safe sex said:

Stanhope is a weed activist as far as I'm aware,  but anyone proclaiming libertarianism is pretty suspect

46 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

TIL I’ve been getting Dougs Stanhope and Benson mixed up.

I thought he pitched for the Orioles 

• Drool 1

Stanhope is pretty blatantly left wing. He seemed drawn to the surface aspects of libertarianism that many leftists were drawn toward in the late nineties and early 2000's. Then he got a glimpse of the people running the party and abandoned it pretty fast. He wrote about how idiotic one of their conventions was and it was a hilarious piece.

Tony Hinchecliffe just sucks. It's a pretty dreary era for standup. The guys currently selling out large theaters and small arenas are unwatchable to me. Bert Kreischer might be the worst I've ever seen and he seems to be at the top of the heap right now. Fat guy takes his shirt off. That's pretty much the entire bit. 

Rogan's standup is mainly screaming punchlines, a lot of physical comedy and humping the stool jokes. His comedy blows and he often doesn't even understand when his guests make jokes. He got confrontational with Theo Vonn about whether or not his friend really had a wooden shirt until theo had to inform it was a joke. Watching Joe rogan with an absurdist like Hannibal Burress is impossible. Joe simply doesn't understand.  

Roseanne is probably the biggest name he's had at that club and she sounds like she's seriously over medicated. She's gone. 

The edge lord guys are just boring and self important. 

Marc Maron's last special was the last set that has even remotely moved the needle for me in a long time. It was okay.  The funniest touring comic I've seen in the last three years was Maria Bamford. Really funny and she sells 50 tickets a show at the most. 

• Hook 'Em 3