Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I remember meeting my cousin’s father in law when I was a first year med student. I get to their house outside Azle and go in and get introduced to the whole family. The dad is wearing these plastic louvered shades over his eyes. I vaguely remembered seeing a late night infomercial for them.

Apparently corrective eyeglasses make your vision worse and if you wear their product you will “exercise” your eyes, and once they are strong enough your eyesight will be normal. They came in many colors and he chose bright red. 

I’m trying to make small talk while he’s sitting in his recliner, and the subject of my studies comes up. I tell him I’m at UTSW in Dallas and he immediately gets this puzzled look on his face. “Why didn’t you go to the osteopath school in Fort Worth” he asks me, sitting there looking at me through those ridiculous goggles. 

Any time I hear about these people questioning science I think about that visit. 

Well why didn't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What was said on Rogan's show that led to someone stalking Hotez?

Rogan on Twitter challenged Hotez to come onto his podcast to debate RFK Jr. Hotez responded that Joe had his contact information and Joe made multiple tweets after that attacking Hotez for being too scared to debate. The next day some crank showed up at Hotez's home and harassed him. 

• Rage+1 3

16 hours ago, bolverk said:

Just <copy> <right click> <paste as plain text> 

That solves the weird formatting and also as an added bonus allows those of us who use dark mode to actually read what you paste without going through hoops.

I guess clicking the toggle button at the top of the screen is such a burden for some people.

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess clicking the toggle button at the top of the screen is such a burden for some people.

That's more steps than just pasting as plain text which should be the default anyways. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

To Rogan (and his listeners), RFKJr is an improved proxy for Alex Jones.  Improved because of the other attributes (fake Democrat, running for President as a Democrat, uncle's head was caved in by Lee Harvey CIA marksmen, the nutter 5G / QAnon / vaxx bullshit).  When RFKJr starts saying shit like the eagle hunts the flea, don't question the government's mutagenics program, and starts selling bone broth (with Vitamin R!), the circle will be complete.

5 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

How does it feel to have your livelihood based on a lie? Why don't you study somethijg more realistic, like Bigfoot or merpeople?

Very few paleontologists get paid to do actual paleo. The paleo part is mostly volunteer career building work. The vast majority of my livelihood has been from teaching human anatomy. 

That said, there actually is a guy at Idaho State that "studies" Bigfoot. Jeff Meldrum if anyone wants to look it up. 

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

We were at the Field Museum on Saturday as part of our family vacation to Chicago. How anyone can see the fossil of Sue and think this was all just made up on a massive scale involving hundreds of museums all around the world is just astounding. But we are stupid, gullible creatures that are prone to believe ridiculous notions if the person telling them is convincing enough. 

It's absurd. It's not even just the ones in museums. Huge stretches of American west are littered with pieces of bone and shattered bone shards. Some areas, there are so many bone and egg shell fragments that you can hardly walk without stepping on something. Most of the dinosaur bearing formations have extensive areas of public land that the public can access. Any creationist that wants to test whether dinosaurs are real need only go out to these formations and see for themselves. Hell, the creationists even own some of these fossil bearing formations. Mark Meadows sold a bunch of dinosaur bearing land in Colorado to Answers in Genesis without disclosing it. 

The amount of people it would take to create that kind of hoax is staggeringly ridiculous. Especially so for a science that has very little pubic funding. Most funding is from donations. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

How does it feel to have your livelihood based on a lie? Why don't you study somethijg more realistic, like Bigfoot or merpeople?

Very few paleontologists get paid to do actual paleo. The paleo part is mostly volunteer career building work. The vast majority of my livelihood has been from teaching human anatomy. 

That said, there actually is a guy at Idaho State that "studies" Bigfoot. Jeff Meldrum if anyone wants to look it up. 

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

We were at the Field Museum on Saturday as part of our family vacation to Chicago. How anyone can see the fossil of Sue and think this was all just made up on a massive scale involving hundreds of museums all around the world is just astounding. But we are stupid, gullible creatures that are prone to believe ridiculous notions if the person telling them is convincing enough. 

It's absurd. It's not even just the ones in museums. Huge stretches of American west are littered with pieces of bone and shattered bone shards. Some areas, there are so many bone and egg shell fragments that you can hardly walk without stepping on something. Most of the dinosaur bearing formations have extensive areas of public land that the public can access. Any creationist that wants to test whether dinosaurs are real need only go out to these formations and see for themselves. Hell, the creationists even own some of these fossil bearing formations. Mark Meadows sold a bunch of dinosaur bearing land in Colorado to Answers in Genesis without disclosing it. 

The amount of people it would take to create that kind of hoax is staggeringly ridiculous. Especially so for a science that has very little pubic funding. Most funding is from donations. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We've spent $8 trillion on Ukraine?  I mean, I get political hyperbole but no brain would allow that to drivel out of someone's mouth.  Could it?

I know this is a pretty far left forum and this won't be popular---but JFK was an incredibly overrated President.  Ted Kennedy was a total fuckup from the word "go."  But Bobby was brilliant, and passionate, and an actual leader.  He was by far the best of that whole crap-tastic family.  No telling what he could have done for this country.  I've long admired him.  But what the fuck with RFK, Jr.?  If something happens to Biden and he ends up being the Democratic nominee, get fucked.  How the fuck is this shitshow polling so high already?  

I'm of two minds on this issue.  Totally agree that having an expert/doctor/scientist on the same debate stage as a loon somewhat legitimizes the loon's position.  Plus lots of scientists aren't exactly skilled debaters, which is a legit oratory skill.  However, I think it might be a better tactic to develop debate skills and shoot down the bullshit directly to the bullshitter.  Jon Stewart is not an expert at anything, but he's very good at shooting down bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

No apology necessary.  I just know from experience that the Kennedy family still is held near and dear to folks on the left.  So my preamble was probably off the mark, as usual.  I just think the family is mostly shit aside from Maria Shriver and what coulda been with Bobby. 

I mean, Joe Rogan and RFK, Jr. forming an alliance to advocate for a Qanon conspiracy on vaccines that was supposedly addressed by his cousin, JFK, Jr. who runs our shadow government in exile?  I have no fucking idea where I am politically any more.  Any luxury of discussing my views on Hayek or classical liberalism or Austrian economics all went out the window in 2016.  I'm just here because I cannot fucking believe how en vogue stupidity and hatred got.  

I mean seriously, Joe Rogan?  He had one funny bit about tigers swimming and now he's dispensing medical advice to millions?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There are 2 real options:

(1) there was a world-wide conspiracy of hundreds of thousands (maybe 10s of millions) of health professionals and scientists to overblown the virus, death counts and then hide the negative effects of the vaccines (when many vaccines have proven extremely effective over that past 100+ years). This was done for reasons.

Or

(2) the medical profession and scientists were all doing their job to the best of their ability.

#1 is the clear answer to me, but hey I’m just asking questions.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, Todd Gack said:

I'm of two minds on this issue.  Totally agree that having an expert/doctor/scientist on the same debate stage as a loon somewhat legitimizes the loon's position.  Plus lots of scientists aren't exactly skilled debaters, which is a legit oratory skill.  However, I think it might be a better tactic to develop debate skills and shoot down the bullshit directly to the bullshitter.  Jon Stewart is not an expert at anything, but he's very good at shooting down bullshit.

Maybe but the crazy side just floods the zone with bullshit comments and tangents. Watch Newsome on with Hannity. Newsome was great at circling back on stupid points Hannity made and not letting him get away with drive by comments. Not every person can be that quick on their feet. Not every person is Newsome or Jon Stewart. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The most annoying thing about RFK Jr. is how fucking boring a conspiracist he is. He could actually make a pretty compelling case that the CIA assassinated his father and uncle, or he could go real crazy and go all in on the QAnon shit about JFK Jr. still being alive. But no, he's just a basic bitch crank replacement-level "AIDS isn't real and vaccines cause autism" dipshit.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I just know from experience that the Kennedy family still is held near and dear to folks on the left. 

Interesting. My feeling is that they've slipped from relevancy. Ted Kennedy is long dead, and he was tarnished. I doubt most people under the age of 55 or 60 give them a second thought, but, like you, I'm just guessing.

Ronald Reagan was at least as deeply revered by the right, but I suspect that that is fading as well. I guess the icons on the left and right have become Obama and Trump respectively. The Bush dynasty is thankfully over and they never attained anything near Kennedy reverance.

Again, just my own experience.

Yeah, I guess it's just my age bracket...the Kennedy family still seems unncessarily relevant.  but hey, leave it Joe fucking Rogan of all people to give them a new marketing push.  Sadly, the only times I hear about Reagan are when anti-Trumpers (like myself) say he started all this.  Say what you want about the man, but he loved the United States.  Folks like Trump and Rogan could fuck one about this country, it's just a vehicle to grift the stupids.  The Bush Question is curious.  I know it's not gonna sit well with many on here, but that family isn't done yet.  

That Joe Rogan believes that there is a strong chance that JFK, Jr. is still alive and doesn't ask his cousin about it is beyond proof we are living in a simulation.  How do you talk with somebody for that long and not ask, 'Hey, 'member that time your cousin faked his own death in a plane crash to re-establish your family's political dynasty?'  That would literally be all I could talk about.  And none of those dumbasses takes that as a massive red flag.  "Oh hi Jesus, thanks for returning from the dead again.  I have so many questions about how you pulled all this off but I'm sure my listeners would rather talk about pandemic masking."  

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

No apology necessary.  I just know from experience that the Kennedy family still is held near and dear to folks on the left. 

Not sure how you are defining left (Bernie Bros?, moderate Dems?, Anti-Trumpers? - not exactly a monolith), but I don't think the Kennedy's (or Reagan or the Bushes for that matter) mean much to the average American today.  We live in a social media fueled bubble boosted along by reality TV distracting greater and greater numbers of uneducated simps, and oh yeah, large scale political tribalism where facts and reason don't matter.  RFKJr is an anomalous snail, puttering along the sidewalk compared to what his family meant 40-60 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I guess it's just my age bracket...the Kennedy family still seems unncessarily relevant.  but hey, leave it Joe fucking Rogan of all people to give them a new marketing push.  Sadly, the only times I hear about Reagan are when anti-Trumpers (like myself) say he started all this.  Say what you want about the man, but he loved the United States.  Folks like Trump and Rogan could fuck one about this country, it's just a vehicle to grift the stupids.  The Bush Question is curious.  I know it's not gonna sit well with many on here, but that family isn't done yet.  

That Joe Rogan believes that there is a strong chance that JFK, Jr. is still alive and doesn't ask his cousin about it is beyond proof we are living in a simulation.  How do you talk with somebody for that long and not ask, 'Hey, 'member that time your cousin faked his own death in a plane crash to re-establish your family's political dynasty?'  That would literally be all I could talk about.  And none of those dumbasses takes that as a massive red flag.  "Oh hi Jesus, thanks for returning from the dead again.  I have so many questions about how you pulled all this off but I'm sure my listeners would rather talk about pandemic masking."  

jeb-bush-please-clap.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, as I've admitted...I was thinking through my personal lens of having studied political history for a great deal of my life.  I forgot most people don't give fuck one about any of those political dynasties.  Still to see a shitty standup comic and a man who is 5% of what his father was, dispense an agenda for America is just fucking surreal.  

I hope and wonder when the Trump family's significance will fade like the stars at dawn.  

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Not sure how you are defining left (Bernie Bros?, moderate Dems?, Anti-Trumpers? - not exactly a monolith), but I don't think the Kennedy's (or Reagan or the Bushes for that matter) mean much to the average American today.  We live in a social media fueled bubble boosted along by reality TV distracting greater and greater numbers of uneducated simps, and oh yeah, large scale political tribalism where facts and reason don't matter.  RFKJr is an anomalous snail, puttering along the sidewalk compared to what his family meant 40-60 years ago.

I don't even know how to define left any more.  I consider myself left of center, and have voted almost exclusively for Democrats in the last 4 election cycles, but I think more than anything I just really fucking hate the modern Republican Party.  I'm not a Bernie Bro, I'm not particularly woke, but I also don't feel threatened by that particular movement at all, despite other straight white males telling me I should be.  I detest the anti-trans legislation running around the right wing circles, and am just turned off by the whole culture war in general.  As a straight white male that grew up Catholic and still sort of relates to it, I have never once in my life faced any sort of existential threat from the alleged gay agenda.  

I also think a lot of the left is more concerned about protecting people's feelings as opposed to bringing about tangible policy changes that will actually help poor people and racial minorities.  A good example of this would be how little the Dems have done federally to legalize weed and end the drug war.  That alone would take such a burden off of Black America and lead to actual improved racial relations and help restore trust between the American people and a lot of their institutions.  Obama had multiple chances to do something here and didn't.  Biden seems on the same track.  They do things like pass Juneteenth as a Federal holiday (which I fully support) and then act like they really did something to help those communities while just whistling past the lowest hanging fruit on the tree.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Maybe but the crazy side just floods the zone with bullshit comments and tangents. Watch Newsome on with Hannity. Newsome was great at circling back on stupid points Hannity made and not letting him get away with drive by comments. Not every person can be that quick on their feet. Not every person is Newsome or Jon Stewart. 

I saw the Newsome interview.  And I'd seen him before on Maher's show - he never came across to me as a skilled debater the few times I caught him.  He was more of a standard calculated political in the Bill Clinton mold.  Having said that, I totally agree - he was obviously extremely well prepared for Hannity's style of questioning.  As is Stewart with his guests.  

There are levels of crazy and yes, some of them expertly assert bullshit, strawman, pivot, etc and they do it fast so you don't have time to address every point.  RFK doesn't strike me as that and I think someone can prepare well enough to debunk his claims on a long-form style podcast.  I think he could be pinned down and made to at least stumble through a tepid defense of his vaccine/autism correlation.  And admit that correlation =/= causation.  Kinda similar to what Mehdi Hassan did to Taibbi on his show.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't even know how to define left any more.  I consider myself left of center, and have voted almost exclusively for Democrats in the last 4 election cycles, but I think more than anything I just really fucking hate the modern Republican Party.  I'm not a Bernie Bro, I'm not particularly woke, but I also don't feel threatened by that particular movement at all, despite other straight white males telling me I should be.  I detest the anti-trans legislation running around the right wing circles, and am just turned off by the whole culture war in general.  As a straight white male that grew up Catholic and still sort of relates to it, I have never once in my life faced any sort of existential threat from the alleged gay agenda.  

I also think a lot of the left is more concerned about protecting people's feelings as opposed to bringing about tangible policy changes that will actually help poor people and racial minorities.  A good example of this would be how little the Dems have done federally to legalize weed and end the drug war.  That alone would take such a burden off of Black America and lead to actual improved racial relations and help restore trust between the American people and a lot of their institutions.  Obama had multiple chances to do something here and didn't.  Biden seems on the same track.  They do things like pass Juneteenth as a Federal holiday (which I fully support) and then act like they really did something to help those communities while just whistling past the lowest hanging fruit on the tree.

The problem here has less to do with what people on the left generally want and more to do with how insanely fucking old most elected Democrats are. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, as I've admitted...I was thinking through my personal lens of having studied political history for a great deal of my life.  I forgot most people don't give fuck one about any of those political dynasties.  Still to see a shitty standup comic and a man who is 5% of what his father was, dispense an agenda for America is just fucking surreal.  

I hope and wonder when the Trump family's significance will fade like the stars at dawn.  

When Don Sr dies 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

No apology necessary.  I just know from experience that the Kennedy family still is held near and dear to folks on the left.  So my preamble was probably off the mark, as usual.  I just think the family is mostly shit aside from Maria Shriver and what coulda been with Bobby. 

I mean, Joe Rogan and RFK, Jr. forming an alliance to advocate for a Qanon conspiracy on vaccines that was supposedly addressed by his cousin, JFK, Jr. who runs our shadow government in exile?  I have no fucking idea where I am politically any more.  Any luxury of discussing my views on Hayek or classical liberalism or Austrian economics all went out the window in 2016.  I'm just here because I cannot fucking believe how en vogue stupidity and hatred got.  

I mean seriously, Joe Rogan?  He had one funny bit about tigers swimming and now he's dispensing medical advice to millions?  

We welcome any of your views on Hayek. I'll start, she's hot. 

Salma Hayek Post GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When Don Sr dies 

Agree. I think the Trumps will fade away pretty quickly once he's gone. Melania actively wants him to die, Jared and Ivanka figured out the Trump name is a liability in polite society, Eric is barely a sentient being and Don, Jr. doesn't have the cult of personality that his dad does.

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I just went down a large rabbit hole on the Atrazine conspiracy theory. Apparently there is a study that says 10% of frogs change from male to female after exposed to Atrazine. Mind blown. 

Wasn't that the main plot point of "Jurrassic Park"  ??

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

We've spent $8 trillion on Ukraine?  I mean, I get political hyperbole but no brain would allow that to drivel out of someone's mouth.  Could it?

I know this is a pretty far left forum and this won't be popular---but JFK was an incredibly overrated President.  Ted Kennedy was a total fuckup from the word "go."  But Bobby was brilliant, and passionate, and an actual leader.  He was by far the best of that whole crap-tastic family.  No telling what he could have done for this country.  I've long admired him.  But what the fuck with RFK, Jr.?  If something happens to Biden and he ends up being the Democratic nominee, get fucked.  How the fuck is this shitshow polling so high already?  

If consciousness and knowledge of worldly happenings somehow continue after death, I'd wager very few people/ghosts in history have ever been more ashamed of their offspring than RFK Sr. is. 

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Agree. I think the Trumps will fade away pretty quickly once he's gone. Melania actively wants him to die, Jared and Ivanka figured out the Trump name is a liability in polite society, Eric is barely a sentient being and Don, Jr. doesn't have the cult of personality that his dad does.

Jarvanka faded away even before his term expired. It was all transactional for them and they had already gotten what they wanted. Wonder where they learned that from.