Things not going well for Joe Rogan

Parliament

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

At least Spotify is stealing money from musicians for a good cause.

No shit.

I'd like to see the pie chart of Spotify payouts and other obligations to Rogan and 9 bazillion musicians who get next to nothing.  Who's the biggest?  I don't know who's on Spotify.  Foos?  Taylor Swift?  Rogan is surely higher.  What a world.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i think Taylor refused to put her music on Spotify? but i can't remember exactly why. i could be wrong but i think i remember something about that a few years ago...🤔

She's on Spotify

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I do not understand how his content is worth so much, on any platform.  Not that’s it’s worthless in the marketplace, but the numbers are a few orders of magnitude larger than I would have guessed.  Where is the 250 million getting recovered?  Subscriptions that are only for him?  Some sort of advertising?  How much would those ads cost?  People buy enough shit to make that ad buy?  I just don’t understand. 

It’s not just ads, but his listeners buy whatever the fuck he is selling at an alarmingly high rate.  So, worth more per listener than, say a typical TV program with the same number of viewers.  Just another sign that we are the Romans towards the end of their run…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Rogan's house is on Lake Austin....a lake (that is part of a system of highland lakes) that was created by the government for the common good, and is still managed by the government for the common good, specifically including flood control purposes which protect Rogan's multimillion dollar home from being wiped out the next time we get a massive hill country rain event.  

In short, Rogan -- ultimate independent libertarian hero -- is living in a way where a substantial part of his life is made possible and safe almost entirely through both past and ongoing government action.  Metaphorically, his prosperity is protected safely behind a government-built and maintained brick wall, and he makes his living ranting against government bricks.  If you buy what he is selling, you're a fucking sucker.

ah, i see. and for the record, I don't listen to joe. mostly bc podcasts bore the shit out of me, but he's also a moron and I have more self esteem than to listen to that meathead.

A friend's daughter was at out dinner table with her husband whom I only vaguely know. He is the type to make mundane observations as though they're new and insightful. He also makes observations that don't rise to the level of mundane.

"Joe Rogan is going to go down as one of the most important people of our time!" A mildly interesting interchange occurred after this.

Of course, we drift to the subject of Trump.

"Donald Trump is a genius!" Had there been food in mouth, it would have been propelled on everyone on the shock wave of a derisive laugh. 

"Now, I didn't vote for Trump," he says after Trump's lack of genius is easily proven.

"Of course, you didn't." He's not good at irony, either.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Rogan is ok when it comes to comedy conversations with comedians, and one-off clips about interesting subjects. Examples would include Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about galaxies.

basically he's best when he doesn't talk

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

basically he's best when he doesn't talk

That's every host not named Jon Stewart or Conan OBrien. The Jay Leno's and Jimmy Fallon's have made hundreds of millions blazing that trail for podcast chumps.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Haha 1

What would you do if you had $250,000,000?
I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...
No, no, you're missing the point. The point of the exercise is that you're supposed to figure out what you would want to do if you didn’t have to worry  about money and could do anything.
Oh, in that case, I’d choose to spend all day sitting in a windowless studio talking to crazy people about how 5G and Covid vaccines allow the government to control your brainwaves.  Also, I’d watch a lot of UFC.  I mean, like A LOT.  And if I had any spare time, I’d talk to meatheads about UFC, and steroids, and then we’d take steroids and practice MMA together.  Just living the dream, man.
cool-john-oliver.gif

No chicks at the same time
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The fucking stupidity is jaw-dropping.  When you have to completely discard a giant, CONTRARY data point to reach your conclusion, your conclusion is a fucking lie.  This data point, for example -- cases that are a "control," and have nothing to do with "party drugs," a "gay lifestyle," or any of the other batshittery this yahoo is talking about:

between 1978 and 1984, an estimated 12,000 people in the United States acquired an HIV infection from a blood transfusion. Ryan White, who was 13 years old, was diagnosed with AIDS in 1984 after receiving a blood transfusion. 

Or the data point of how the ART "cocktail," specifically designed to address an HIV-caused illness, has been incredibly effective and has taken a disease that was a death sentence and made it functionally a non-issue when it comes to life expectancy:

For people with HIV on ART and with high CD4 cell counts who survived to 2015 or started ART after 2015, life expectancy was only a few years lower than that in the general population, irrespective of when ART was started.

You have to toss these significant, contrary data points in the trash, completely, to reach their conclusion.  It's fascinating that worshippers at the church of "but what about?" never ask "but what about....the facts that tend to gut your hypothesis, how did you consider those?"  I mean, it's fucking "expert witness cross-examination 101."  Anyone who has taken a 4 hour deposition course knows that eliminating alternate causes -- as evidenced by data -- is one of the key things you test any expert on.

"Sir, you contend that Mr. Jones got wet because aliens developed a giant precision-targeted sky bucket, and dumped water directly on his head.  Did you consider the following evidence in reaching that conclusion [show him a NOAA document showing widespread rainfall over the entire area that day because there was a fucking hurricane]?"  Goddammit.  Rogan is such a stupid piece of shit.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The fucking stupidity is jaw-dropping.  When you have to completely discard a giant, CONTRARY data point to reach your conclusion, your conclusion is a fucking lie.  This data point, for example -- cases that are a "control," and have nothing to do with "party drugs," a "gay lifestyle," or any of the other batshittery this yahoo is talking about:

Or the data point of how the ART "cocktail," specifically designed to address an HIV-caused illness, has been incredibly effective and has taken a disease that was a death sentence and made it functionally a non-issue when it comes to life expectancy:

You have to toss these significant, contrary data points in the trash, completely, to reach their conclusion.  It's fascinating that worshippers at the church of "but what about?" never ask "but what about....the facts that tend to gut your hypothesis, how did you consider those?"  I mean, it's fucking "expert witness cross-examination 101."  Anyone who has taken a 4 hour deposition course knows that eliminating alternate causes -- as evidenced by data -- is one of the key things you test any expert on.

"Sir, you contend that Mr. Jones got wet because aliens developed a giant precision-targeted sky bucket, and dumped water directly on his head.  Did you consider the following evidence in reaching that conclusion [show him a NOAA document showing widespread rainfall over the entire area that day because there was a fucking hurricane]?"  Goddammit.  Rogan is such a stupid piece of shit.

GettyImages-3069544-688x1024.jpg

I remember 6-7 years ago when Weinstein was a reasonable guy.

All of these people started off in this space of being totally reasonable people who were pushing back against some legitimately batty things going on in left wing spheres, but have gone so completely red pilled that they're driving the crazy train in the other direction now.

The grift pays good I guess.

I am just glad we have a well informed comedian, game show host and MMA enthusiast out there discrediting the word of millions of elitist scientists and doctors across the globe who are getting rich off fake research, tests and vaccines.

• Haha 1

Yeah, it's just a total coincidence that a fair amount of media/podcast people who were normal enough just suddenly went off the deep end about the time it became a proved-out business model that spewing inanities could result in millions of dollars.  I mean, this kinda shit has always existed in our civilization, but once you demonstrate the digital scale of it, you think it's just by chance that so many people flipped over to crazy-town in order to curry favor with sponsors and donors?  

At least at Surly, we've had the decency to be fucking lunatics the whole time.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Bottom line: Rogan is just the latest illustration of a massive intellectual collapse or devolution in 50-60% (or more) of the US population.

How/Why?

Not sure when it "began," but it accelerated after the Apollo moon landings, secularism's great technological triumph for all to see.

1) TV has long been accelerating the collapse -- especially with endless shows celebrating every kind of idiocy, supernaturalism, UFOs, Ancient Aliens, conspiracy theories, and presenting anti-intellectualism/anti-science as a virtue, etc. 

--  Why did I say 50-60%? Because I have met far too many people on the "Left" (or libs or dems) who believe in array of conspiracy theories and general anti-science beliefs. All in the name of being "anti-capitalist" or "anti-corporate" and embracing cultural relativism. Meaning that all beliefs are "relative" and there are no universal standards for empirical truths -- except, of course, for the belief in anti-capitalism.

-- The first anti-vaxxers I ever met (or even heard about) were leftist/liberals at UT-Austin around 1990.

2) Followed by social media platforms, which are empowering idiocy far beyond TV and are literally overrunning our secular education systems. 

3) Underneath much of this is religion, of course, especially the unchecked proliferation of evangelicalism-fundamentalism-creationism since the 1970s. 

4) The failure of art, science, and secular philosophy to develop a meaningful narrative for a shared destiny in the wake of Apollo moon landings, Hubble telescope, and the cosmology of the big bang. For example, Hollywood cranks out endless space monsters and Star Wars rebel-tribal battles, nowhere enough 2001 or Star Trek quest for knowledge and understanding.

-- The failure to develop a widely embraced narrative to unity humanity as a single species, sharing a tiny planet with all other life forms, hurtling around a spiral galaxy in a universe of two trillion galaxies stretching across 100 billion light years. 

5) The first 4 are anchored in humanity's narcissism (collectively and individually), which might be impossible to overcome, as we all want the universe to revolve around us and our little existence, to make us feel super-special with an important or eternal destiny. Thus, consumerism, social media, and religion fit the bill.

Bottom line, I think America is devolutionary toast, long-term, and will drag down the rest of the world. 

Final stop: Planet of the Apes (1968 version).

And the evolution starts all over again.

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2

Bottom line: Rogan is just the latest illustration of a massive intellectual collapse or devolution in 50-60% (or more) of the US population.
How/Why?
Not sure when it "began," but it accelerated after the Apollo moon landings, secularism's great technological triumph for all to see.
1) TV has long been accelerating the collapse -- especially with endless shows celebrating every kind of idiocy, supernaturalism, UFOs, Ancient Aliens, conspiracy theories, and presenting anti-intellectualism/anti-science as a virtue, etc. 
--  Why did I say 50-60%? Because I have met far too many people on the "Left" (or libs or dems) who believe in array of conspiracy theories and general anti-science beliefs. All in the name of being "anti-capitalist" or "anti-corporate" and embracing cultural relativism. Meaning that all beliefs are "relative" and there are no universal standards for empirical truths -- except, of course, for the belief in anti-capitalism.
-- The first anti-vaxxers I ever met (or even heard about) were leftist/liberals at UT-Austin around 1990.
2) Followed by social media platforms, which are empowering idiocy far beyond TV and are literally overrunning our secular education systems. 
3) Underneath much of this is religion, of course, especially the unchecked proliferation of evangelicalism-fundamentalism-creationism since the 1970s. 
4) The failure of art, science, and secular philosophy to develop a meaningful narrative for a shared destiny in the wake of Apollo moon landings, Hubble telescope, and the cosmology of the big bang. For example, Hollywood cranks out endless space monsters and Star Wars rebel-tribal battles, nowhere enough 2001 or Star Trek quest for knowledge and understanding.
-- The failure to develop a widely embraced narrative to unity humanity as a single species, sharing a tiny planet with all other life forms, hurtling around a spiral galaxy in a universe of two trillion galaxies stretching across 100 billion light years. 
5) The first 4 are anchored in humanity's narcissism (collectively and individually), which might be impossible to overcome, as we all want the universe to revolve around us and our little existence, to make us feel super-special with an important or eternal destiny. Thus, consumerism, social media, and religion fit the bill.
Bottom line, I think America is devolutionary toast, long-term, and will drag down the rest of the world. 
Final stop: Planet of the Apes (1968 version).
And the evolution starts all over again.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Joe Rogan had on a guest (and his lawyer) who had been incarcerated on drug charges and for attempted murder for 25 years.  It was supposed to be 50 but advocacy by the lawyer’s organization got him out earlier. Anyway, he went on Rogan to talk about turning his life around and volunteering with the homeless and how his sentence had been inhumane. Now he’s been arrested for shooting a guy then chopping him up and taking the head home to store in a freezer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/03/08/sheldon-johnson-collin-small-body-parts-freezer/72893473007/

• Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

6 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Joe Rogan had on a guest (and his lawyer) who had been incarcerated on drug charges and for attempted murder for 25 years.  It was supposed to be 50 but advocacy by the lawyer’s organization got him out earlier. Anyway, he went on Rogan to talk about turning his life around and volunteering with the homeless and how his sentence had been inhumane. Now he’s been arrested for shooting a guy then chopping him up and taking the head home to store in a freezer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/03/08/sheldon-johnson-collin-small-body-parts-freezer/72893473007/

Hold on, man.  Dude just didn't want the head to go bad.  You have to use a freshly severed head right away, or freeze it.  Everyone knows that. So maybe dial down the criticism a bit, okay?

• Haha 2

Maybe his home isn't big enough to share with an entire homeless person, so he's storing the head to be defrosted later, when he has a bigger home.

In the meantime, at least the head has a home with all utilities paid, including air conditioning!

• Haha 1

"Police said officers responded to Small's Bronx home to conduct a welfare check on Tuesday night and found a headless torso in the apartment.  Responding paramedics pronounced the victim dead at the scene ..."

I guess it's a good thing EMS was there, because you never know.

uh oh lol GIF by IFC

• Haha 1

headless torso?  

im not a medical examiner or homocide detective, but that can’t be a term.  It’s either a head or a torso.  Or as my med school professor; John Mulaney called it; “the top part”

The AIDS - gay lifestyle - party drugs causation conspiracy theory is so fucking offensive. Especially when you remember the fact that Reagan flat out ignored the public health crisis and the US didn’t do shit until straights caught it from transfusions and from sanctity of marriage bullshit when fucking 100 basketball groupies while being Magic. Fuck Rogan in his steroid ass.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Especially when you remember the fact that Reagan flat out ignored the public health crisis and the US didn’t do shit until straights caught it from transfusions and from sanctity of marriage bullshit when fucking 100 basketball groupies while being Magic. Fuck Rogan in his steroid ass.

Not to mention IV drug users.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rogan's a shit head, but that clip is pretty obviously cut to make it sound like he's applying his belief that the Biden Administration is incompetent is due to their diversity.  That tweet is a bit disingenuous.

Of course they could all run intellectual circles around the haze of resin and supplements that comprise his brain matter.

• 3 weeks later...