Legit kitchen appliances & accessories

52-80

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

If you don't have a good instant read thermometer, Thermapen Mk4 Open Box Sale.

$27 on Amazon 

Lavatools PT12 Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Kitchen, Food Cooking, Grill, BBQ, Smoker, Candy, Home Brewing, Coffee, and Oil Deep Frying https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_1781JT7K2QZK9ZFYJHZ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 1/11/2022 at 12:28 PM, LW Goatman said:

OXO Good Grips Can Opener + Reviews | Crate and Barrel

I found an old school hand crank can opener in a drawer and tossed that electric thing. 

The electric one gets left out on the counter, has a plug, gets dirty, and takes up space. Its also ugly and offers no efficiencies. If it looked like R2D2, that would be cool, but it doesn't. 

Old school hand crank is the way to go. 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:36 PM, Celery Man said:

There are a lot of things i disagree with my wife on when it comes to the kitchen. When we moved into the new house and redid the kitchen, she held the line on "nothing lives on the counter" (except for the coffeemaker, the toaster, and the kitchenaid) and was 1000% correct. I've never seen a need to improve on the OG can opener design.

Also I guess I should eat more salets but I didn't know the pre made ones were so complicated.

Electric can openers got popular in the 50's, when people ate a ton of canned food.  Except for the occasional can of tomatoes (with pull tab), I almost never used canned anything.   When I was a kid, my mom used several cans of something for each dinner.  

Now frozen food is another story.  That's used in my home

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

$27 on Amazon 

Lavatools PT12 Javelin Digital Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Kitchen, Food Cooking, Grill, BBQ, Smoker, Candy, Home Brewing, Coffee, and Oil Deep Frying https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_1781JT7K2QZK9ZFYJHZ9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Champ was the first one to rec the Lavatools on here. Having used both, they're really pretty much identical, I grab them interchangeably. On a budget, the Lavatools are a fantastic choice.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Champ was the first one to rec the Lavatools on here. Having used both, they're really pretty much identical, I grab them interchangeably. On a budget, the Lavatools are a fantastic choice.

it's never failed me and love that it's on my fridge 

$27 on Amazon 

I’ve had this one for at least 5 years. It works perfectly.

Honestly I had a cheap one before I bought a Thermapen and it never really failed me.  I guess it would have eventually crapped out, but I had it a little over a year with no issues other than a few more seconds in the meat.  I bought the Thermapen because everybody on the internet's says it's a must have, and I got it on sale, so I don't have any regrets, but I don't consider it a must have.  I'd definitely recommend something other than a cheap one but it's not going to be some cooking revelation.

22 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Honestly I had a cheap one before I bought a Thermapen and it never really failed me.  I guess it would have eventually crapped out, but I had it a little over a year with no issues other than a few more seconds in the meat.  I bought the Thermapen because everybody on the internet's says it's a must have, and I got it on sale, so I don't have any regrets, but I don't consider it a must have.  I'd definitely recommend something other than a cheap one but it's not going to be some cooking revelation.

I've got a Thermopro.  It's cheap, accurate (so far), and quick enough.  I've had it for about a year.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Thermometer-Grilling-Waterproof-Ambidextrous/dp/B07XXSYLL8/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3A68IV67FO8H8&keywords=instant%2Bread%2Bthermometer&qid=1642608116&sprefix=instant%2Bread%2Bthermomete%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-10&th=1

Doubtless, there are better ones out there.  But I'm not conducting lab experiments.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, dcbc said:

I've got a Thermopro.  It's cheap, accurate (so far), and quick enough.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Thermometer-Grilling-Waterproof-Ambidextrous/dp/B07XXSYLL8/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3A68IV67FO8H8&keywords=instant%2Bread%2Bthermometer&qid=1642608116&sprefix=instant%2Bread%2Bthermomete%2Caps%2C119&sr=8-10&th=1

Doubtless, there are better ones out there.  But I'm not conducting lab experiments.

That's the one I had.  No regrets with the Thermapen because I've wasted more money on a lot of dumber things that didn't even work, but the faster speed and tighter degree tolerances hardly come into play with my BBQ. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I've got a Thermopro.  It's cheap, accurate (so far), and quick enough.  I've had it for about a year.

sir, anything posted on the here must be throughly researched !!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

I had forgotten about this contraption until the tortilla toaster controversy arose. My wife does have this iron grate that fits over the cooktop eye. Useful for a quick tortilla heat or to char some peppers.

2440-Santa_Fe_School_of_Cooking_Grill-Me

https://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Detailed/42.html

Looks cool, but don't the juices drip down onto the stovetop.

• 3 weeks later...

We like the OXO compost bin for catching food scraps. Its the same we see on Kenjis videos. 

Theres absolutely nothing special about it, but it has a lip on the lid so you can operate it with one hand. 

When I redo the kitchen im considering building a cutout on the countertop for compost, with some way to close it off for the smell

• 4 weeks later...

serrated bread knife.  the most underrated knife in the kitchen.  can use to carve up big roasts.  can use for delicate jobs like tomatoes - the serrations catch and cut the skin, letting you slice through the thing.  because of the design, it rarely gets dull.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Need a new blender, help me out. Gf was making some balsamic dressing and somehow broke the plastic bottom and shit is everywhere. This is my venting space for now 

After years of using the plain Oster type, I ordered this 2 years ago. 

It fuckin’ rocks!

Blenders for kitchen, 1450W Professional Countertop Blender with 68 oz Tritan Pitcher and 8 Adjustable Speeds, Smoothie Blender Maker for Shakes, Crushing Ice and Frozen Fruits https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09C24R5TY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MP3WR76J087VVSPYXQ7D

• Hook 'Em 1

You get what you pay for. Cheap blenders will die quickly. I have a vitamix and it’s like having an Evinrude on the counter. You can grind wheat into flour with it. It can make soup and ice cream too.

I also have a Ninja as well and it’s only a slight point below the Vitamix. It’s great.

I got one of these and it’s incredible. It’s indispensable in the kitchen. Blendjet 2. Portable, rechargeable. Don’t buy a knockoff on Amazon. But is not available on Amazon. I use it for coffee drinks, smoothies, nut grinding, sauces, cocktails. Easy to clean.

https://blendjet.com/products/blendjet-2?wickedsource=google&gclid=Cj0KCQiAip-PBhDVARIsAPP2xc2vVN11hHP1J98cIvsWz0D00P1T0U9YpSoCqeMseg94uHmeKA-iWpAaApFBEALw_wcB&variant=32478639390786

• Hook 'Em 2

probably similarish (not portable) to the blendjet, we have one of these 

https://www.amazon.com/Nutribullet-Superfood-Nutrition-Extractor-NBR-0601/dp/B07CTBHQZK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EDTEPLFN518T&keywords=bullet+blender&qid=1653662591&s=home-garden&sprefix=bullet+blende%2Cgarden%2C89&sr=1-3

1098808_Gray?wid=1000&hei=1000&op_sharpe

I... also have an oster blender, a cuisinart food processor, and a mini cuisinart food processor. I'm sure there are cases where you need the conventional blender but i haven't put together the Oster in years and couldn't tell you with complete confidence where the fuck it even is in my kitchen. For something like that dressing, I'm using the bullet every time. Mojo verde, romesco sauce, blending up chipotles in adobo, making popcorn salt, nuts, etc - bullet. I made a shake out of frozen berries, bananas, milk, oats, and yogurt every day for a couple of years and it was the bullet every morning. So much less of a pain in the ass to use and clean the a normal blender. The little tabs on the plastic cup break off occasionally, but you can easily buy replacement pieces.

mini cuisinart food processor seems stupid to me, but the wife likes it either because it's functional or cute. I would use the bullet for whatever I might use that for.

Have we talked about garlic presses? We didn't have one for a long time and that was stupid. That little oxo homie ends up in the dishwasher most nights.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

probably similarish (not portable) to the blendjet, we have one of these 

https://www.amazon.com/Nutribullet-Superfood-Nutrition-Extractor-NBR-0601/dp/B07CTBHQZK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EDTEPLFN518T&keywords=bullet+blender&qid=1653662591&s=home-garden&sprefix=bullet+blende%2Cgarden%2C89&sr=1-3

1098808_Gray?wid=1000&hei=1000&op_sharpe

I... also have an oster blender, a cuisinart food processor, and a mini cuisinart food processor. I'm sure there are cases where you need the conventional blender but i haven't put together the Oster in years and couldn't tell you with complete confidence where the fuck it even is in my kitchen. For something like that dressing, I'm using the bullet every time. Mojo verde, romesco sauce, blending up chipotles in adobo, making popcorn salt, nuts, etc - bullet. I made a shake out of frozen berries, bananas, milk, oats, and yogurt every day for a couple of years and it was the bullet every morning. So much less of a pain in the ass to use and clean the a normal blender. The little tabs on the plastic cup break off occasionally, but you can easily buy replacement pieces.

mini cuisinart food processor seems stupid to me, but the wife likes it either because it's functional or cute. I would use the bullet for whatever I might use that for.

Have we talked about garlic presses? We didn't have one for a long time and that was stupid. That little oxo homie ends up in the dishwasher most nights.

Ended up with a bullet at a Holiday office gift exchange 5 or so years ago.  Was a little disappointed, but oh well.  I, like you, own a regulat blender that hasn’t been used since that day. 

On 5/28/2022 at 10:14 AM, tx 3 putt said:

whatever they stock at costco

They often have a vita mix deal at costco. Vita mix blenders last a long time and they're durable and the most powerful. If you need a replacement part you call their hq in Ohio. They are awesome - the oxo of blenders.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/28/2022 at 11:14 AM, tx 3 putt said:

whatever they stock at costco

On 5/29/2022 at 1:00 PM, Chopper said:

They often have a vita mix deal at costco. Vita mix blenders last a long time and they're durable and the most powerful. If you need a replacement part you call their hq in Ohio. They are awesome - the oxo of blenders.

These.  Costco's Vitamix are usually on sale and include extra accessories you won't get at other stores. If you don't want to go the Vitamix route, they have other high quality blenders cheaper than you'll find elsewhere.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:21 PM, tx 3 putt said:

$27 on Amazon 

Necrorep for the Lavatools Javalin.  Had mine for four years now, and it still works great.  

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2022 at 10:14 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 5/26/2022 at 9:21 PM, Zepol87 said:
Need a new blender, help me out. Gf was making some balsamic dressing and somehow broke the plastic bottom and shit is everywhere. This is my venting space for now 

Vitamix. The last blender you'll ever buy.

This. My BIL got me one a few years ago, thought it was overkill. It’s amazing. It’s like a food processor and blender all in one without the PITA of cleaning a food processor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I also just want to say that Kitchenaid Mixers are THE SHIT!

And if you're kind of handy, you can get some really damn cheap. Case in point, I now have procured 3 of them for a grand total of $75 to get them in working order.

The first one was a K5SS (the holy grail of Kitchenaids - the solid state version of their first gen K5A, from the 70s-80s, it still says Hobart) I got at a garage sale for $10. It needed some TLC and I didt some pictures of the restoration of it on the old site. It went from that yuck almond to bronze. I'm about to paint it black soon. More pictures of this one soon.

Next I got a tilt head artisan for free. The catch was that the gears were stripped. That was a $10 part. And a super easy fix, it's literally the most common kitchenaid mixer video on YouTube. That ended up being a gift for my niece.

Finally about 3 weeks ago I got a Professional 5 Plus, also free. In this case the planetary fell off it. That was a slightly pricier part of $50, but still a far cry from the $450 this mixer usually runs. And also not a majorly complex fix. And this one is in great shape, I'm a little torn which to make my primary, this one or old trusty.

And let me also just say, if you have a kitchenaid and don't have a meat grinder - what's wrong with you? Hands down the best thing I might have in my kitchen. Forget store ground meat, you can do your own for much cheaper and much leaner. Plus I've made breakfast sausage in it that is better than anything from the store.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1