The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

It would annoy me not to be able to use Carplay. Waze, Spotify, text messaging, etc etc work really well with Carplay even though the interface is looking really dated.

I'm not sure how long I'll hang onto the Benz. As someone put it earlier in the thread, the technology is so busy that it's tiring. Having 90% of the interaction done with a touchscreen/touchpad/steering wheel touch controls just isn't great. Sometimes physical buttons are just better. And the big one: the Burmester stereo just does not sound as good as the B&O in the old Audi. I notice it every single time I drive it. Weird that would be a deal-breaker but shame on me for not testing it more thoroughly before I bought it.

But my wife got a ticket going 94 mph in it so she seems to like it.

22 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Rivian comes with free LTE. So you can stream Spotify, Amazon music, tidal, etc for free. Satellite not needed 

Eh, I get it though. If I'm driving way out in West Texas where LTE sucks, I'd like the option of Satellite radio (not to mention the sports coverage which is where it really shines IMO). And with the "Adventure Vehicle" name (that's what Rivian calls them), you'd think that they would want to have backups for people who actually use them in places without LTE coverage. 

I did see that they are supposed to add SiriusXM in 2024, not sure if it will be a "streaming" version or if they have the hardware already built in to get the actual satellite signal. 

Pulled over for the 2nd time in 7 months for no front plate. Still just a warning this time but I imagine the next time it happens I'll have to do a fix-it ticket using a tow-hook mount
I have my plate in the tow hook. The front splitter is way too low for a bracket under.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

What are you supposed to do without cell service

Sometimes I wonder how any of us over 40 were able to go anywhere without phones.  Paper maps, AM/FM radio/cassettes and beating the shit out of your siblings while your mom threatened to murder you ifyou didnt calm down

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, midtown said:

Sometimes I wonder how any of us over 40 were able to go anywhere without phones.  Paper maps, AM/FM radio/cassettes and beating the shit out of your siblings while your mom threatened to murder you ifyou didnt calm down

I'm always retrospectively amazed how good we were at having so many teenagers manage to congregate in one spot for a party.

I've forgotten what it was, but I was telling my son something we didn't have, I think it was maybe streaming services, an he looked at me like I had three heads.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

What are people listening on XM/Sirius that they find indispensable?  Is it just live sports broadcast?

I've tried it on web and in countless car rentals over 2 decades and could never find a channel that could hold my attention for more than a few minutes. Always preferred my own downloaded programming, and now with the ubiquity of phone based streaming, i'd figured it would be their death knell.

• Like 1

It's worth between $0-$5/month.

I pay $6 for it somehow. For the last 2-3 years. lol.

I like uninterrupted jazz, salsa jazz, house music, and pitbulls station on the weekends (basically like going to a club). All of these stations have professional DJs selecting songs and the music usually slams. I find a ton of new music by listening to SiriusXm. I’m never in the sports stations. I also pay for Spotify (I love all types of music).
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, texas08 said:

I pay $6 for it somehow. For the last 2-3 years. lol.

I like uninterrupted jazz, salsa jazz, house music, and pitbulls station on the weekends (basically like going to a club). All of these stations have professional DJs selecting songs and the music usually slams. I find a ton of new music by listening to SiriusXm. I’m never in the sports stations. I also pay for Spotify (I love all types of music).

you had me at pitbull

On 11/16/2023 at 10:58 AM, Okie State said:

My kids can't comprehend that we used to have to watch a show when it aired or we just missed it.

I think that is where the conversation started.

23 hours ago, 52-80 said:

What are people listening on XM/Sirius that they find indispensable?  Is it just live sports broadcast?

I've tried it on web and in countless car rentals over 2 decades and could never find a channel that could hold my attention for more than a few minutes. Always preferred my own downloaded programming, and now with the ubiquity of phone based streaming, i'd figured it would be their death knell.

I don't listen to any sports on Sirius, but it's pretty much the only music I've listened to in the car for, shit, 10 years, maybe longer. I can live in between channel 6 and say 39 basically continuously and always have something playing that's acceptable. Beyond that, it's all that works where there is no cell or terrestrial radio. Up in the mountains, and it's the backbone of marine weather and internet today.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, elfenix said:

saw a cybertruck in the wild yesterday turning onto saint st from west alabama.  saw one of the new hummers being towed by an F350 down allen parkway today. 

My son is a big fan of the Hoonigan youtube channel and we were watching some videos the other night and their "This vs That" drag series had a Hummer EV racing a new Raptor R. That Hummer was very impressive. 

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

It is MASSIVE. I saw one driving around my area a month or so back. I was surprised how large it is… no way that thing holds a long charge.

Prominent YouTube car channel got one when they came out.  It does a lot of cool shit, but he had issues charging it lots of times.  and very slow to charge iirc.  Could also have just been a dumbass used to fueling up lambos 2x a day to having something you actually have to give thought to tripping him up.   But it had some cool off-road features.  

• 2 weeks later...
I'm bidding $100.  Don't tell anybody.  It says no reserve.

He came over Friday to watch the GT game and was telling me about the arrangement he made with Sotheby’s. I think Sotheby’s could eventually be a player but it sounds like they have some bumps to iron out. But he did manage to move the six wheeled Rover, the Lusso, and the old Rolls.