Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

CDC said in an interview today that June 2024 is the goal to break ground on the new practice facility and January 2026 is the goal to start the process of putting grass in DKR. 

Those kind of facilities don't take long to build so I'd assume that it would be ready by Spring ball 2025?

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question. During the game Saturday on the YoutubeTV 4k telecast there were no commericals during timeouts- instead we got a silenced endzone overhead shot of Bryant-Denny.

The lightshow looked insane and damn near seizure-inducing- nearly every timeout looked like an NBA game on steroids, for the entire duration of the timeout. I was thinking about the players/coaches on the sidelines- how the fuck do they see what's going on during the timeouts? I was thinking about one of those construction lights inside a tent could be useful- but it looked totally dark on both sidelines.

How was it in person?

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite

1 minute ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Stupid question. During the game Saturday oin the YoutubeTV 4k telecast there were no commericals during timeouts- instead we got a silenced endzone overhead shot.

The lightshow looked insane and damn near seizure-inducing- nearly every timeout looked like an NBA game on steroids. I was thinking about the players/coaches on the sidelines- how the fuck do they see what's going on during the TV timeouts? I was thinking about one of those construction lights inside a tent could be useful- but it looked totally dark on both sidelines.

How was it in person?

its-a-party-leland-townsend.gif

11 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Stupid question. During the game Saturday on the YoutubeTV 4k telecast there were no commericals during timeouts- instead we got a silenced endzone overhead shot of Bryant-Denny.

The lightshow looked insane and damn near seizure-inducing- nearly every timeout looked like an NBA game on steroids, for the entire duration of the timeout. I was thinking about the players/coaches on the sidelines- how the fuck do they see what's going on during the timeouts? I was thinking about one of those construction lights inside a tent could be useful- but it looked totally dark on both sidelines.

How was it in person?

Texas had those installed this past offseason. Coming to DKR starting this saturday night. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

I know...hence my dumb question above about sideline vision during timeouts. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

They pull out those camping  head-lamps and velcro them around their head, under the coach's headsets....  they're kind of ghey looking so everyone quickly takes them off right as the light show is ending and hands them to a student GA, its  all very sus and sketch and very clandestine

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

How was it in person?

I thought it was pretty fun in person, but I did have the same thought about the players seeing anything during timeout huddles.  At least one of the players commented that they couldn't wait to see it in DKR, so it must not have bothered them too much.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, hornbri said:

It looked like some areas of the field were still intentionally lit up. I wish i had got a picture but around the 50 on both sidelines had an area with more light. 

There were areas that we’re lit, but the teams didn’t always meet in those areas. 
image.thumb.jpeg.023d1d24b875ea3b29228fcf0cdc15be.jpeg

Edited by Texas Wahoo
Well - Cash McCoy beat me to it.
  • Hook 'Em 4

Was that at halftime?  I don't know if it'll be quite dark enough at 8:30p for Wyoming game to pull that off.  Drove by the stadium a couple hours ago and they were testing out the new lamps.  But it was impossible to make out the effect obviously given the daylight.  But you could tell there was a fuckton of them.  Should be badass for K-state and Texas Tech later this year anyway.  

29 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I thought it was pretty fun in person, but I did have the same thought about the players seeing anything during timeout huddles.

In my years of playing football, I never needed to see anything in a huddle, except playing on the playground and drawing plays in the dirt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, YGIFS said:

Was that at halftime?  I don't know if it'll be quite dark enough at 8:30p for Wyoming game to pull that off.  Drove by the stadium a couple hours ago and they were testing out the new lamps.  But it was impossible to make out the effect obviously given the daylight.  But you could tell there was a fuckton of them.  Should be badass for K-state and Texas Tech later this year anyway.  

They didn't start any of the light show stuff until it got dark.  I think the phone thing was in the late 3rd quarter, but the first light show aspect was either late first quarter or early second quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Texas had those installed this past offseason. Coming to DKR starting this saturday night. 

I'm sure that our atmosphere team will tread lightly....not overdo it....break it in slowly....while Bob Cole makes subtle reference to some new lighting....

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 5

2 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

How was it in person?

I thought it was annoying af.  Not only the light shows but blasting the canned music. It was a hoe down at a 70's style discotheque cranked up to 11. The band never played during breaks. Don't know how any player could hear the coaches on the sidelines.

Ok, I'm old.  Get off my lawn!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

25 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

I thought it was annoying af.  Not only the light shows but blasting the canned music. It was a hoe down at a 70's style discotheque cranked up to 11. The band never played during breaks. Don't know how any player could hear the coaches on the sidelines.

Ok, I'm old.  Get off my lawn!

That was my question , what music did they play? Was this when they played Alabama's Fiddle in the Band Song? Or was this an ongoing thing during longer TV timeouts and quarter breaks, once it was dark

On 8/23/2023 at 1:05 PM, Hookem2147 said:

CDC said in an interview today that June 2024 is the goal to break ground on the new practice facility and January 2026 is the goal to start the process of putting grass in DKR. 

aggy already has grass in their locker room. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

The real question remains, how can we use our lights for advertising purposes?

The lights will spell out "Taco Bell" in Naval signal lamp style.  Afterwards, you'll either pass out from a stroke or diarrhea.  Dealer's choice.  And the last thing you'll hear as you sink into the abyss is Bob Cole's voice reminding you that there's still one more free taco in it for you...

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Should be badass for K-state and Texas Tech later this year anyway.  

We'll be big 11am and like it

The lights will be just another act in the fucking circus that is Texas gameday.  We wouldn't want anyone to enjoy watching the game and listening to the band.

Edited by WBT
  • Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I didn't think it was that big of a deal.  I'm sure the players don't really notice.  That Dixieland Delight or whatever was...weird.

I guess they reserved the fuck Auburn for only when they play Auburn?  That's what go Dixieland Delight banned for several years.

56 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

I guess they reserved the fuck Auburn for only when they play Auburn?  That's what go Dixieland Delight banned for several years.

No, they added all the additional lyrics including LSU and Tennessee too.

Spoiler

Spend my dollar (ON BEER),
Parked in a holler 'neath the mountain moonlight (ROLL TIDE),

Hold her uptight,
Make a little lovin',
A little turtle dovin' on a Mason Dixon night,
Fits my life, oh, so right,
My Dixieland Delight.

-------------

Spend my dollar (ON BEER),
Parked in a holler 'neath the mountain moonlight (ROLL TIDE),
Hold her uptight (AGAINST THE WALL),
Make a little lovin' (ALL NIGHT),
A little turtle dovin' on a Mason Dixon night (F**K AUBURN),
Fits my life (AND LSU), oh so right (AND TENNESSEE, TOO),
My Dixieland Delight.

Read More: What Are Alabama Fans Saying During 'Dixieland Delight'? | https://tide1009.com/what-are-alabama-fans-saying-during-dixieland-delight/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Edited by jTower

How was it in person?

That’s to keep the tooth-less one’s engaged, or they’d start start throwing shit in the field.

Hook’em!!!
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Oh yea…..they’ll flip the switch on our new lights Sat night!

56 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ok grandpa. Time to collect your walker and head back to the rest home.

You were doing lots of “game watching” and listening to the band during TV timeouts were you? 

Remember when MOST fans enjoyed Don’t Stop Believing, or Jump Around interludes designed to get the fans into the game? Now we’ll do that under burnt orange lighting. Oh, the humanity. 

most fans, particularly the young loud ones that don’t coif their blue hair and yell at people in front of them to sit down, want and love these changes. I’m sure there’s plenty of space and less of a Circus aspect to sitting on your couch in front of your 42 inch flat screen. 

smackdown live what GIF by WWE

These same people will bitch and moan that DKR doesn't have much of an atmosphere but since CDC has implemented all these changes to student section, gameday, etc it has become a much louder place. I think SEZ being build the way it was helps keep sound in better as well and reflect it. 

All in all gameday atmosphere is better now than it was even during the 2000s run IMO

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Dudes, check the website y’all are posting on. We are Texas fans and it is our God-given right to be pissed off about anything and everything. Game day atmosphere too lively? Fuck ‘em. Game day atmosphere not lively enough? Double fuck ‘em. 

Just for your information, I regularly attend almost one home game a year, and donate upwards of $10 a month to TOF. So if you think about it, the athletic department really kinda owes me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

In my years of playing football, I never needed to see anything in a huddle, except playing on the playground and drawing plays in the dirt.

I remember forming a wall between our QB and the other kids on defense so he could draw up the play and they couldn't see.  We took it very seriously if they tried to peer over/under us.  I think my little league team invented the holding your glove up to your face when we'd meet on the mound with coach so the other team couldn't see what we were saying.  

And now, 30-40 years later?  I give my social security number out probably twice a week to anybody who asks and seems legit.  

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

That was my question , what music did they play? Was this when they played Alabama's Fiddle in the Band Song? Or was this an ongoing thing during longer TV timeouts and quarter breaks, once it was dark

It was mostly a mix of country and southern rock - played loud.  Sweet Home Alabama, Dixieland Delight, think I remember AC/DC Thunderstruck. They played the music every break.  Added the flashing lights when it got dark. I tuned it out after a while.

• Hook 'Em 1