Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

What’s the problem with the volleyball program? Is the fan support outgrowing Gregory Gym? I love watching games there, but haven’t been in a few years.

Apparently UT Athletics doesn't "run" Gregory like they do with DKR and the Disch.  So they see opportunities for concessions and other gameday experiences that they can't really control at Gregory.  Seems like CDC or Coach Elliott could throw their weight around and get shit done at Gregory exactly how they want it, but guess not.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck that.
It will cost more to do it in 2 years than it will right now.
Money is not an issue anyway.

The explanation I’ve heard is that until the practice facility is complete, the team is practicing at DKR too often for the surface to be grass. It’ll get worn out.

I’ve heard they practice at dkr more because sark doesn’t like going to the old practice facility because they have to bus over there.

So if that’s true it’s not a money issue, it just needs to wait til we are no longer practicing there.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

The explanation I’ve heard is that until the practice facility is complete, the team is practicing at DKR too often for the surface to be grass. It’ll get worn out.

I’ve heard they practice at dkr more because sark doesn’t like going to the old practice facility because they have to bus over there.

So if that’s true it’s not a money issue, it just needs to wait til we are no longer practicing there.

Makes sense.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

If you are eating a corn dog in a suite you are certainly a guest.  

Never been in a suite, eh, stanco? What do you think they're serving suites? Pheasant? Sushi? 

I watched a Raiders game in the GM's suite in December in Vegas, with the GM and his family. You know what was served? Wings, corndog nuggets, hot dogs, nachos, and tacos. 

I share a loge suite in the SEZ with @SydneyCarton that opens to the dining area for the small suite holders. Along with terrific things like prime rib and top notch salads and vegetables, guess what else they serve? Hot dogs, nachos, tacos, corndog nuggets, etc. All of that shit gets consumed nonstop by people going through the line, before and during the game. 

Astros suites and Texans suites - same shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Never been in a suite, eh, stanco? What do you think they're serving suites? Pheasant? Sushi? 

I watched a Raiders game in the GM's suite in December in Vegas, with the GM and his family. You know what was served? Wings, corndog nuggets, hot dogs, nachos, and tacos. 

I share a loge suite in the SEZ with @SydneyCarton that opens to the dining area for the small suite holders. Along with terrific things like prime rib and top notch salads and vegetables, guess what else they serve? Hot dogs, nachos, tacos, corndog nuggets, etc. All of that shit gets consumed nonstop by people going through the line, before and during the game. 

I sit in the suites on the NEZ side from time to time, and that big bar/dining area is awesome. But they have pretty much the same stuff over there including loading up food trays with hot dogs, hamburgers, and popcorn that they just leave out for people to walk by and grab. The big buffet in the club level is decent, but it is usually fajitas with accompanying flair. 

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I sit in the suites on the NEZ side from time to time, and that big bar/dining area is awesome. But they have pretty much the same stuff over there including loading up food trays with hot dogs, hamburgers, and popcorn that they just leave out for people to walk by and grab. The big buffet in the club level is decent, but it is usually fajitas with accompanying flair. 

Yeah, I wouldn't compare the SEZ food to a nice restaurant, but it is about as good as you will ever get at a sporting event. Every year when I take my kids to one of the games, they get pumped because they know it's going to be one of their best days of eating for the year, and I don't even let them have any cotton candy. 

I'm loling at the image of Stanco assuming everyone in a suite gets their own butler and machine to serve authentic pressed duck, but only after they shot it fresh with a bow that morning. 

Gimme the fajita and nacho fixings all day fucking long, and the unlimited brauts with onions and peppers. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 3

Yeah, I think our stadium has a pretty bang-up job of offering both high-end catering options and conventional gameday fare.  The prices are fucking insane to me, but that's just the nature of the beast.  But anytime we've been in there with the kids, they love the spreads.  And I'm certainly content.  Especially when it's on somebody else's dime.  I don't seek it out anymore, but it also seems like every season there's another cocktail/beer/wine area opening up that's offering something new.  

All that to say, I'm sure we're just a couple of seasons away from a Corndog-Hill Country Winery pairing menu.  The Viognier really brings out the mustard notes...

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I think our stadium has a pretty bang-up job of offering both high-end catering options and conventional gameday fare.  The prices are fucking insane to me, but that's just the nature of the beast.  But anytime we've been in there with the kids, they love the spreads.  And I'm certainly content.  Especially when it's on somebody else's dime.  I don't seek it out anymore, but it also seems like every season there's another cocktail/beer/wine area opening up that's offering something new.  

All that to say, I'm sure we're just a couple of seasons away from a Corndog-Hill Country Winery pairing menu.  The Viognier really brings out the mustard notes...

My wife would be fucking there for that event, sir. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Hope DKRTMS doesn’t get to the NFL level…. 
Son saw this concession sign at Allegiant Stadium Sunday:

(these are the regular season prices too)

0BFAA425-4BF8-4223-99D6-14947D278ED1.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Correct, I never have.  Back in the 90s I was invited to the DirecTV suite at Texas Stadium a few times (friend worked there) but I couldnt make it happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I think you are lying about the service in the suites at DKRTMS. You should invite me to join you for a game next fall in order to prove me wrong.

CDC feeling pretty good about his announcements 
- we're gonna break ground on a new practice facility for football in the summer, new DKR scoreboard, Disch additions, gonna try to  figure out a different solution for the National Champion VB program and oh yeah DKR is gonna have grass in 2026.
Surly- for the love of God, you need to fix the padding color around the field at DKR.

What, no love for the alignment of the goal post? Is the still Surly, or another site?
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Post Oak said:

CDC feeling pretty good about his announcements 

- we're gonna break ground on a new practice facility for football in the summer, new DKR scoreboard, Disch additions, gonna try to  figure out a different solution for the National Champion VB program and oh yeah DKR is gonna have grass in 2026.

Surly- for the love of God, you need to fix the padding color around the field at DKR.

jim-carrey-not-funny-its-not-funny.gif

Just pointing out something I haven't seen mentioned in a thread full of dumb complaints, dickbutt. I have nothing but admiration for what CDC has done for gameday upgrades. 

7 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Apparently UT Athletics doesn't "run" Gregory like they do with DKR and the Disch.  So they see opportunities for concessions and other gameday experiences that they can't really control at Gregory.  Seems like CDC or Coach Elliott could throw their weight around and get shit done at Gregory exactly how they want it, but guess not.

Concessions and etc would be great for volleyball program revenue. Also could use the new space for other events that could generate revenue. 

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

I don't think I can eat a Fletchers corn dog outside of the state fair. It just wouldn't feel right.

You can and you will 

• Hook 'Em 1

The trouble is real estate.  There's nowhere on campus to put a new VB venue, however small except an indoor/beach complex where the Caven intramurals/lacrosse fields are.  Or possibly, try to incorporate them into the new practice facility build where the Hicks School of Social Work is.  Otherwise, you gotta go out to East Campus---past the Disch---and that's gonna hurt attendance from students.  It'd help old farts like us because of easier parking.  Obviously the idea is to drive revenue with a little bit of premium seating and massive upselling in concessions/alcohol which Gregory is just simply not built for from a physics standpoint.  I don't know what the fuck RecSports would use that gym for on newly-vacated match days/nights.  I mean, they do one throwback hoops game, maybe a throwback VB match...but otherwise...they don't let anybody use it even with RecSports membership.  If the VB team isn't practicing there, it isn't like there's some massive student outcry for a 3,000 person intramural basketball game.  They just use the existing gyms downstairs.  

I'm guessing this is a decoy so they can work out some arrangement to have hybrid setup where they bring in additional concessions, alcohol sales, seating upgrades, and allow folks to in/out between sets to food trucks, concession carts, even beer guys up and down the aisles.  The relationship can surely be worked out with RecSports.  Shit, there's a way you can just walk into VB matches and basketball games from Gregory Gym.  I did it multiple times the last few years.  You finish a swim or workout and walk up the far east staircase and into the multi-purpose room and then hook left and it takes you that area by the stage on the eastern side of the VB/BB court.  I watched a number of games from there over the years (granted you gotta stand).  So they can certainly work out a new traffic-flow/concession logistical arrangement on just match/game days & nights.  There certainly is being money being left on the table, but building some $20mm facility over by El Chile isn't the answer and they know that.  Unless they want to add it to the upgraded baseball/softball complex amenities being built out between McCombs and the Disch.  But that also would curb student attendance.  I dunno. 

First World Longhorn problems, amirite?    

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Remind me what are the plans for the bubble after the new practice facility is complete? Assume they have something planned otherwise could consider it for a VB facility location.

The bubble and the fields get sucked up into TxDoT's Capital Express project.  UT chose to give it up rather than fight.  Or so I heard.

https://my35capex.com/projects/i-35-capital-express-central/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wonder where visiting fans will be seated? I think I read where it's a SEC rule that they have to have a lower section allotment or something of that nature?

The visiting team has a buffer of their fans behind their benches.  IIRC    Otherwise opposing teams are just assigned a section.  Up in a corner in my experience.

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I assume there is some kind of compensation or favor down the road?

9 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Like a handjob? UT would be lucky to get a handjob out of the deal.

In my experience, TxDOT does not give out handies.

However, they do fuck you in the ass anytime they have the chance.

They’re usually the 800 lb gorilla due to funding and their legislated  place in the pecking order of land use and civil infrastructure. Only folks that Trump them are the railroads. Don't fuck with the railroads. They are the real swinging dicks in civil infrastructure.

The real question is whether UT gets to place one of the freeway caps and would ‘own’ the land. (like Dallas has and I think is putting in another one)

Thats the only way UT can expand its footprint and connect East campus to central campus. That would be huge. While no buildings could go on it, a large campus green space for tailgating and giving the campus continuity would make building on the east not the island that it is now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Picture is like looking at ticket sites without "show fees" switch on.

It must be something, because I can tell you that the Loge Box seats I'm paying for sure as shit don't come out to $98 dollar a game per ticket, much less $91. It is a vast multiplier of that. So, clearly something is missing and/or that chart is complete bullshit. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wonder where visiting fans will be seated? I think I read where it's a SEC rule that they have to have a lower section allotment or something of that nature?

The released the 2024 Seating Chart earlier this week. It's available here or see the screenshot below.

The have spread out the visitors more than last year (they were mostly in 119-122 last season. It also seems like there is more - the visitors are in Sections 1, 32, 131, 132 this year (in addition to the tops of 103, 104, 106, 107, and 119).

My guess is that most will be in the 32/131/132 sections, and the 103-119 visitor sections will mostly be "single game tickets" for the visitors who don't sell out their allotments. 

Screenshot2024-02-15at8_47_44AM.thumb.png.3d25f618a9972189d285934db77a01a7.png

23 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I will never understand people that go to a game or a movie and have to eat.

Fuck that. All I need is beer. I will eat after the game. 

I see these people eating a huge plate of BBQ or something an hour and half before kickoff. I would be miserable if I did that.

Same with a movie......you can't wait for 2-1/2 hours to eat something?

Popcorn is fine but I see people with a tray full of shit and of course they are always fat fucks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

In my experience, TxDOT does not give out handies.

However, they do fuck you in the ass anytime they have the chance.

They’re usually the 800 lb gorilla due to funding and their legislated  place in the pecking order of land use and civil infrastructure. Only folks that Trump them are the railroads. Don't fuck with the railroads. They are the real swinging dicks in civil infrastructure.

The real question is whether UT gets to place one of the freeway caps and would ‘own’ the land. (like Dallas has and I think is putting in another one)

Thats the only way UT can expand its footprint and connect East campus to central campus. That would be huge. While no buildings could go on it, a large campus green space for tailgating and giving the campus continuity would make building on the east not the island that it is now

Speak of the devil. 

https://thedailytexan.com/2024/02/07/university-city-of-austin-plan-highway-caps-for-more-space-as-part-of-i-35-expansion/

Here’s an article about it.

(and I do realize how not kosher it is to quote your own post. Sorry)

• Hook 'Em 5