Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

More book talk. I laid out pragmatic reasons why the movie Chani would be pissed and not your pretend book Chani that doesnt exist except in a different version. It’s almost 60 years old. It’s the Tom Bombadil LOTR talk all over again.

“Moody, Petulant”? I saw a heart-broken, disillusioned movie character who was privy to Paul’s doubts and thoughts and felt betrayed. Your preconceptions are irrelevant about how badass the book Chani is. Fuck Book Chani. I hope she got killed off.

Your take is just illogical and wrong. Both versions of Chani understood imperial politics and marriages.

Here's a good piece written about it by Dr. Laura Robinson, who is presumably not a misogynist incel neckbeard.

Does Denis Villaneuve Understand the Women of Dune?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

More book talk. I laid out pragmatic reasons why the movie Chani would be pissed and not your pretend book Chani that doesnt exist except in a different version. It’s almost 60 years old. It’s the Tom Bombadil LOTR talk all over again.

“Moody, Petulant”? I saw a heart-broken, disillusioned movie character who was privy to Paul’s doubts and thoughts and felt betrayed. Your preconceptions are irrelevant about how badass the book Chani is. Fuck Book Chani. I hope she got killed off.

Maybe someday you’ll learn to read

Your take is just illogical and wrong. Both versions of Chani understood imperial politics and marriages.
Here's a good piece written about it by Dr. Laura Robinson, who is presumably not a misogynist incel neckbeard.
Does Denis Villaneuve Understand the Women of Dune?

Good try. That's gonna last until next year -- you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Good try. That's gonna last until next year -- you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

you're not wicked smaht.  it is amusing to see you pretend to be though.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Beautifully shot.

I wonder if Oppenheimer played any part in the delay of Dune 2. I know they said it was due to the strike and actors not being able to promote the film, but seems like it could be a little bit to avoid Dune and Oppenheimer going head to head for awards, especially given DV and CN seem to have a bit of a friendship.

5 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Saw it yesterday and loved it. Beautifully shot.

I wonder if Oppenheimer played any part in the delay of Dune 2. I know they said it was due to the strike and actors not being able to promote the film, but seems like it could be a little bit to avoid Dune and Oppenheimer going head to head for awards, especially given DV and CN seem to have a bit of a friendship.

Not a chance. Entirely due to the strike

• Hook 'Em 1

Read the book numerous times. I liked this version of Chani. It’s always better if you know more of their thoughts and hear more conversations but movies have limits. 

Spoiler

If there is to be a 3rd movie, they will struggle to easily get Chani back into the book narrative from where they left her. Or how she left without Paul talking to her.

One criticism that I have is how the Spacing Guild is treated in both movies. In the books, they are the passive, all-powerful element that drives so much of the economic/political storyline.  Here they are the space version of Greyhound bus.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Read the book numerous times. I liked this version of Chani. It’s always better if you know more of their thoughts and hear more conversations but movies have limits. 

Hide contents

If there is to be a 3rd movie, they will struggle to easily get Chani back into the book narrative from where they left her. Or how she left without Paul talking to her.

One criticism that I have is how the Spacing Guild is treated in both movies. In the books, they are the passive, all-powerful element that drives so much of the economic/political storyline.  Here they are the space version of Greyhound bus.

IMG_7763.webp.e967a47c1006fe4a3c7f0e300fbba851.webp

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Reveal hidden contents

They started to lose leverage after all the Guild Busting activities of the middle 20th century, which all came to a head when Space Guild leader Jimmy H'offa got murdered and buried in the sand dunes.

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

She really does it for me.  Florence Pugh and Zendaya not so much. 

zendaya will always be the meth head teenage basket case from euphoria to me

On 3/24/2024 at 12:30 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Reveal hidden contents

🤣

On 3/24/2024 at 12:30 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Reveal hidden contents

Likewise.

It's quite obvious this isn't a straightforward adaptation. In more than a few ways, Denis changes (or presents) the plot significantly. But overall it works for this medium. To me, it's two different takes on the same story. You can argue which one is superior, but I like both for what they are.

With regards to Chalamet, my opinion is that he is possibly the best actor of his age group out there. Whoever expressed bemusement at his physicality is right, he shouldn't be able to carry roles that call for that sort of thing, but he does, and does it very well. I suppose that's part of the point of the profession. The contrast stands out more in The Kingbut even there he was fantastic. At least in Dune, he actually fits the frame of the character in the books, and the style of fighting is more about speed than brute strength, and I never caught myself thinking he was wrong for it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/steven-spielberg-dune-2-brilliant-science-fiction-movie-ever-made-1235953298/

Steven Spielberg had nothing but praise for “Dune: Part Two” while interviewing Denis Villeneuve on the latest episode of the DGA’s “Director’s Cut” podcast. The Oscar winner told Villeneuve that “you have made one of the most brilliant science-fiction films I’ve ever seen,” which is high praise coming from the mastermind behind “E.T: Extra Terrestrial” and “Close Encounters of the Third Kind.” And that wasn’t the only praise Spielberg bestowed upon the “Dune” director.

“It’s an honor for me to sit here and talk to you,” Spielberg said. “Let me start by saying there are filmmakers who are the builders of worlds. It’s not a long list and we know who a lot of them are. Starting with [Georges] Méliès and Disney and Kubrick, George Lucas. Ray Harryhausen I include in that list. Fellini built his own worlds. Tim Burton. Obviously Wes Anderson, Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, Ridley Scott, Guillermo del Toro. The list goes on but it’s not that long of a list, and I deeply, fervently believe that you are one of its newest members.”

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/21/2024 at 8:31 AM, utee94 said:

If people are getting the simple message "Paul is bad" from the movie, or the book, then they've missed the actual message as badly as you possibly can.

What? This is FULLY the correct and intended message of the story. It's not a simple message for sure, but...Paul is not only actually bad, he's fully aware that he is, in fact, the bad guy and has a full understanding of the devastating consequences his actions are going to have.

Spoiler

He literally compares himself to Adolf Hitler during his holy war.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure I agree with that, but it gets philosophical.

Spoiler

The movie doesn't/can't explain this, it's way too nuanced for a short film, but the book keeps Paul's internal struggle as a topic nearly all the way through.

What Paul does (actions) certainly be construed as bad, but especially in the book he accepts it only after trying to reject it for most of the book, and then seeing that the alternative, the "stagnation" path, leads to far worse for humanity. If anything, he's a begrudging messiah.

Where it gets philosophical is the "do the ends justify the means?" If your answer is yes, Paul is good. If your answer is no, Paul is bad.

Saw it last night, absolutely loved it. What an experience, hadn't seen a production like that in a while. I think my initial reaction is definitely driven by DV and the movie the team made, it's a spectacle. The story is intriguing too, but honestly I rewatched the first one last week and I still didn't have all the houses and characters and relationships down, but I was at least sucked in by the end of Part 2. I'm fully in now. 

Maybe I'm in the minority but I also came out with a healthy respect for Timmy, his temperament change over the movie was well-played. Also, I could not care less about all the Chani comparisons. I thought Z was fine. DV asked her to film a bunch of scenes just staring at Paul, or scowling at him, and that's what she did. What's all this discussion about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I also came out with a healthy respect for Timmy, his temperament change over the movie was well-played.

Shouldn't be in the minority. His performance was great before "that scene" and Oscar-worthy at bare minimum after.

• Hook 'Em 2

I saw him first in Beautiful Boy and thought he did really good. Then the following year with The King I thought he had the potential to be a big star. Watching him in Dune makes me want to watch The King again.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Levi said:

I saw him first in Beautiful Boy and thought he did really good. Then the following year with The King I thought he had the potential to be a big star. Watching him in Dune makes me want to watch The King again.

I posted in the Netflix thread about it. I rewatched it last week. He’s really good in it and the movie is pretty solid. It is also a movie that benefits from great A/V.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Levi said:

I did exactly that. Rewatched The King

On 3/28/2024 at 8:17 AM, Sam Lin said:

Not sure I agree with that, but it gets philosophical.

Reveal hidden contents

The movie doesn't/can't explain this, it's way too nuanced for a short film, but the book keeps Paul's internal struggle as a topic nearly all the way through.

What Paul does (actions) certainly be construed as bad, but especially in the book he accepts it only after trying to reject it for most of the book, and then seeing that the alternative, the "stagnation" path, leads to far worse for humanity. If anything, he's a begrudging messiah.

Where it gets philosophical is the "do the ends justify the means?" If your answer is yes, Paul is good. If your answer is no, Paul is bad.

Exactly, all of this.  I was speaking to the nuance. The message is not simple.

10 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

which part of the movie? Paul gave several speeches.

hehe...fair enough. 

Spoilered in case:

Spoiler

The one where he finally accepted that he needed to be the messiah, and informed all the Fremen that he was stepping up.  "Your mothers warned you about my coming..."  Found a link for part of it at least: 

Edited by morehornsepower
  • Hook 'Em 1

Solid flick. Would not pay full theater prices to see again tho.  The ahole on my row who decided to take his socks and shoes off may have had something to do with that.

I was really hoping for some Lawrence of Arabia type shots in there, but alas, I those days are behind us.

6 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Solid flick. Would not pay full theater prices to see again tho.  The ahole on my row who decided to take his socks and shoes off may have had something to do with that.

I was really hoping for some Lawrence of Arabia type shots in there, but alas, I those days are behind us.

You could just about watch Dune 1 and 2 in the runtime of Lawrence of Arabia

Proud Of You Yes GIF

https://ew.com/denis-villeneuve-s-third-dune-movie-is-officially-happening-8608521

Sometimes, dreams do come true. That’s as true for Paul Atreides as it is for Denis Villeneuve, who now gets to make his third Dune movie. Legendary confirmed on Thursday that they are currently developing a third movie in the sci-fi franchise based on Frank Herbert's original novels and are also in talks with Villeneuve to adapt Annie Jacobsen’s nonfiction book Nuclear War: A Scenario after that.

Villeneuve first told EW in 2021 that his goal all along was to make three Dune movies. Dune: Part Two completed the adaptation of Frank Herbert’s original 1965 sci-fi novel, but Herbert wrote five sequels before his death in 1986 (his son Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson have since added to the franchise with many additional books). The first of Herbert's sequels, 1969’s Dune Messiah, is what Villeneuve wants to adapt for his third movie in this series.

"I always envisioned three movies," Villeneuve told EW then. "It's not that I want to do a franchise, but this is Dune, and Dune is a huge story. In order to honor it, I think you would need at least three movies. That would be the dream. To follow Paul Atreides and his full arc would be nice."