2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nah.  To get to frivolous you really need to have no good faith belief that you have standing or an actual chance at winning. I don't think this rises to that level. 

have you seen how many of these jared woodfill has already lost?

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

City people get told a story by a farmer whose combine burnt to the ground. He blames those nasty Antifa fuckers of arson because of his Trump flags.

And she calls them out for being rubes

I loathe the bullshit JD Vance-esque white trash empathy stories. 

"Jed has a confederate flag painted truck, thinks that Hillary should be hung from Mt. Rushmore and doesn't think the N word is racist BUT he grew up drinking Mountain Dew, so maybe we should hear his side of the story." 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

They addressed on CNN this AM.  You can go in and invalidate your ballot and vote in person.

You just show up to your polling place. The record will show that you requested an absentee ballot. You fill out a provisional ballot. Those get counted last and are cross referenced to make sure the person’s vote wasn’t already counted. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

SIAP. Remember the NY real estate agent filmed yesterday tearing up Biden signs and yelling at the woman filming?  He's gone from his job that he had for 20 years.

https://www.inman.com/2020/11/02/corcoran-drops-agent-caught-trashing-biden-signs-in-viral-video/

In recap, he wasted his day tearing down Biden signs in a state in which Biden is coasting towards a big victory, got fired, and possibly ruined future job prospects. When someone asks him how his weekend went, he has quite the response.

I've been thinking about this guy...

He had a really good job that allowed him to own a house in a very nice area, had a wife and kids... and he probably pissed all that away now... because of an election?

It's seriously frightening how fucked up some people are.  Especially, how do you explain that to your kids?  "Daddy, why do we have to move?"  "Dad, why do I have to go to a different school now?"

One thing possibly worth noting is that I've seen a handful of polls recently that show Biden with extremely similar margins to what Clinton pulled in places like CA, NY, IL...etc.

Suggests that if Biden really does end up winning the PV by 6+, then it won't have been the result of simply running up the score with a couple extra million votes in the solid blue bastions, but rather from actively cutting into Trump's vote share in red and swing states.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, The Dog said:

they said they would, but that Raffi dude thinks they'll get denied on all appeals.

Raffi is a well-known federal appellate lawyer in Houston.  If he thinks the appeals will get denied, then I'd trust his assessment.

Pouring them out on standing is undoubtedly the right call.  It's conceivable that Trump or Cornyn might have standing, but some rando from Montgomery County doesn't have a personal stake in the outcome of the case.  "I really want my preferred candidates to win" does not create standing.

Beyond that, Judge Hanan really buttoned up his holding.  But it's not done for appellate purposes.  As @Brisketexan knows, once the court dismisses on the basis of subject-matter jurisdiction, that's it.  The case is over.  The court can't do anything on the merits.  It doesn't have jurisdiction to do anything on the merits.

But in saying that he would find that the plaintiffs aren't entitled to injunctive relief because the voting was legal, he's telling the plaintiffs that there isn't much point in an appeal.  The most the Fifth Circuit could likely do is hold that the plaintiffs have standing and remand it down to the district court for a judgment on the merits.  And he just told the plaintiffs "don't bother." 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've been thinking about this guy...

He had a really good job that allowed him to own a house in a very nice area, had a wife and kids... and he probably pissed all that away now... because of an election?

It's seriously frightening how fucked up some people are.  Especially, how do you explain that to your kids?  "Daddy, why do we have to move?"  "Dad, why do I have to go to a different school now?"

We're all human and our emotions can get the best of us. I'm sure we've all done things we wish we could take back. Everyone needs to practice taking a breath and counting to 10. Especially in a time when any of us could become internet famous in the next 10 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

This thread is moving so fast for a Monday I cannot keep up, so a string of posts, sorry not sorry:

40 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

red-hot-banana-pants

Rep for you and RED HOT BANANA PANTS is my vibe today, whoooo-hooooo!

34 minutes ago, Mole said:

In a sane world I’d be considered conservative since I believe in an objective reality and morality — I’ll have none of that moral relativism that I heard so much about years ago.

Interpretations may vary, but right is right, wrong is wrong, and truth is truth. This statement can’t be squared with the current Trump movement. To embrace this movement is to reject the very foundations any functioning society. Policy isn’t even a relevant discussion since we’ve gone full Pontius Pilate “what is truth?”

Empathy is right. Caring for other Americans is right.  I am still fiscally reluctant to take risks and paying down debt when the economy is flourishing seems like a practical thing to do. It's how we got rid of our debt. I don't see either of those much looking back at what I left.

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Shouldn't "no standing" have been decided very early this morning then, so they could skip all the bullshit arguments about whether a tent is a structure?

I'm sorry, are we talking about lawyers here?  It's like Sky Masterson talking about being such a gambler he'll bet on which raindrop on a window reaches the bottom first.

• Hook 'Em 1

Raffi is a well-known federal appellate lawyer in Houston.  If he thinks the appeals will get denied, then I'd trust his assessment.
Pouring them out on standing is undoubtedly the right call.  It's conceivable that Trump or Cornyn might have standing, but some rando from Montgomery County doesn't have a personal stake in the outcome of the case.  "I really want my preferred candidates to win" does not create standing.
Beyond that, Judge Hanan really buttoned up his holding.  But it's not done for appellate purposes.  As [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] knows, once the court dismisses on the basis of subject-matter jurisdiction, that's it.  The case is over.  The court can't do anything on the merits.  It doesn't have jurisdiction to do anything on the merits.
But in saying that he would find that the plaintiffs aren't entitled to injunctive relief because the voting was legal, he's telling the plaintiffs that there isn't much point in an appeal.  The most the Fifth Circuit could likely do is hold that the plaintiffs have standing and remand it down to the district court for a judgment on the merits.  And he just told the plaintiffs "don't bother." 
Agree with all of this. However, I think he left the door open for a challenge on election day drivethrough votes by the correct plaintiff.

Wonder how Harris County responds, i.e., whether they will have drivethrough voting tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We're all human and our emotions can get the best of us. I'm sure we've all done things we wish we could take back. Everyone needs to practice taking a breath and counting to 10. Especially in a time when any of us could become internet famous in the next 10 minutes.

Username checks out.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Can we talk about this again for just a sec?

One of the things I see on right leaning message boards is sneering references to the "Hollywood Cabal," the librul elite, the latte drinking, tree hugging Cali weirdos, the East Coast artsy fartsy crowd, well you get the idea. W/O going into the discussion for why that is and why it has been a 'thing' for a very long time, I'd like to say that I am happy to see some of that group stepping up and getting a little more visible. Celebs recording GOTV announcements may have chosen a more generic message, but even that can reach millions.

My response when I see that is 

uhh we elected a fucking reality tv star as president.  That usually shuts that line of “reasoning” right down

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'm sorry, are we talking about lawyers here?  It's like Sky Masterson talking about being such a gambler he'll bet on which raindrop on a window reaches the bottom first.

It actually was the right move for the court, and what most any court would have done.  Let the full record on the injunction request be developed, and then let them know 1) I'm pouring you out on jurisdiction, and even if you get sent back down here, 2) I'll pour you out on the substance.

I've been the frustrated defense lawyer in that case -- the other side fails on jurisdiction, kill this quickly.  But the court makes us develop the whole case and put on our evidence.  Extra work, but gives the court a more buttoned up case.

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

That's this area here:

image.thumb.png.c1e61a431138541aa266f5fb3f41f9fe.png

Blue = more Biden donations; Red = more Trump donations (not total $). 

Winter Haven is not in FL-15.

Weird, right?  It's almost like Biden is going to win this election and was always going to win this election.  Odd that we keep getting more data points that say this. Who fucking knew?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

These seem like the kind of words that would be written by a "Nice Guy", thanks Eddie!  What are you doing on this site?

2 minutes ago, APMP said:

Wonder if Harris County can put up some garages overnight around tomorrow's drivethrough voting spots. Garage gotta be a building right?

Well the language at issue is in the part of the code about early voting. I don't know that the same language is in the part of the code applicable to election day.

Just now, Storm the Field said:

Yet another final prediction:

I'll note this has 279 EVs being Safe, Likely or Lean D. Another 71 are Tilt D.

Biden could drop every single Tilt D and Toss Up state and would still win.

Fuck that. It's not a prediction if you leave 63 electoral votes blank.  Fucking make a call dude (not directed at you directed at Jacob- whoever the fuck that is).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

#lolwhat?

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Well the language at issue is in the part of the code about early voting. I don't know that the same language is in the part of the code applicable to election day.

The judge quoted a law that apparently says Election Day requires a building. Early voting said something about a structure.  run-offs require a edifice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The judge quoted a law that apparently says Election Day requires a building. Early voting said something about a structure.  run-offs require a edifice.

The SoS of Texas and Harris County addressed this early on by agreeing that the mobile structures need to be attached to a building. And be attached, they meant adjacent or on the same property. The Drive Thru voting location a mile from my house is a huge set of tents with flaps, and it's operated at a normal polling location. NRG is the same way. It's all bullshit.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve done some election law and can tell you, in a state with many poorly written statutes, the election code may be the worst. Lots of vagueness which leads to counties having to guess what the Leg meant. It’s not fair they get held to some strict scrutiny. They’re usually doing the best they can with what they’ve got.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea that’s what pollsters are supposed to do lol

I was just referring to the fact that he said prediction.  It's not a prediction if you leave 20% of the thing unaccounted for.  

I'm going to predict that Texas is up 8 at the 12:32 mark of the 4th quarter this Saturday.  Whaaaaaa?

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I was just referring to the fact that he said prediction.  It's not a prediction if you leave 20% of the thing unaccounted for.  

I'm going to predict that Texas is up 8 at the 12:32 mark of the 4th quarter this Saturday.  Whaaaaaa?

Too specific. You should predict that Texas will be up by exactly somewhere between 6 and 15 points. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Duh.  Because Obama!

• Haha 1