2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Why is it do you think that so many people here are losing friendships? Is it because they take politics to seriously? Honestly I’m interested to hear this. 

Do you consider politics and morals the same? If you do not then you should understand why people are losing friends.

The amount of thought the average Americans put into politics is almost zero. It’s also something, by and large that they inherited and they hold onto it as a legacy from what they generally thought as they were coming of age. We basically do this as a team sport. 
 I think most of this could simply be handled by saying I guess we see the world a little bit (or maybe even a lot) differently and I’m going to hold onto what I love about you instead of making a mountain out of a molehill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

The emphasis on the Supreme Court has more to do with minimizing legislating from the bench as it pertains to all issues. But as a member of the center right, you knew that already. 

Trump and the current republican party have little-to-no interest in "minimizing legislating from the bench" as it pertains to any issue.  But as a disingenuous poster here, you knew that already.

• Hook 'Em 1

While I personally don't have anyone I'd consider a friend who is a Trumper, I think some of you give the average Trump voters way too much credit with the depth of their thought. Because I can assure you it usually doesn't go deeper than "hurr durr Orange man pie hole go brrrr". Now if you think that person is too dumb to be cordial to, then fair enough, but know that is the majority of our citizenry so you are going to have to be a dick to a lot of people.

Edited by G650
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are you starting from the position that all republicans are morally sound and all democrats are morally corrupt?  It’s easy to get there if so, more difficult if not. 

Oh right, yeah, thanks. It all made sense when I remembered they see it through the lens of "GOP = good and not GOP = bad."

The shitty thing about that kind of braindead, oversimplified thinking is that it's sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. Like, I'm actually now at the point where my positions on any given issue are identical to where I'd have arrived at if I started with the dogmatic belief of "GOP = bad and not GOP = good."

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Given this, why do you think Trumps support from Blacks and Hispanics is higher in 2020 than 2016?

You keep trying this angle, but its just making you look dumb. The support has moved from extreme minority to slightly less extreme minority. Its undercutting whatever idiotic point you are trying to make.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

A lot of “center right” people here disavowing family members over voting for a candidate that at least 45% of the country will be voting for. 

I don't give a shit if 5%, 45%, or 95% support cruel, vindictive shitheels.  I disavow them all.

20 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

do you suck this much naturally or did you have to work to get here?

He's a troll, but he's a good snapshot of the Trumpkin id.

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s what my point has been to brisket for years now. 
trump was the dead cat bounce. He’s turned this country way left of where it would otherwise be. 

Nope.  See the numbers above, 45%.  If you stood here and told me "hey, good news.....55% of your body mass is NOT deadly cancer!".....I don't think I'd be relieved by that supposedly joyous news.  This perspective is fucking nuts.

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I have no problem remaining friends with those with whom I disagree politically.

But disagreeing with me on questions like “should we have a representative government or a dictatorship” and “are non-white people human beings who should have the same rights as white people” goes beyond mere political disagreement. If you’re ok remaining friends with people who answer no to those questions, that says a lot more bad things about you than it does about me.

This.  Want to discuss what you think the appropriate path for long-term transportation planning is?  And maybe we wildly disagree?  Cool, cool.  Want to see if we agree/disagree about how to address ISIS as a threat?  Fantastic.  I'd fucking KILL for that sort of political disagreement again.

But stand up for a man who is, FUCKING LITERALLY AS I TYPE, spewing insane lies like "Biden will cancel the vaccine"....no, I have no place for you in my life.  You support a goddamned psychopath who is normalizing his shitbaggery, and destroying all of our norms and institutions in the process.  These aren't political differences.  They are moral differences, and human differences.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's when I make the phone call that they have alienated their own daughter.  Make it hurt.  My wife's mom is still "well, I guess I'll vote for Trump, but I don't really want to".  We knew that.  Her dad is "I can't see voting for the guy, even though I'm a Republican".  (He has a BA in Art from UT, for fuck's sake.)  If he ends up voting for Trump, that will end it between my wife and them.  She knew she couldn't count on her mom, but her dad?  That will crush her.  And my wife is in many ways an old school Republican.

I don't think I'm going to make that phone call.  I just don't really think it's my place.  This is between them and their daughter.  

And as I said, much of it is out of everyone's hands now, anyway.  If Biden wins, I suspect Mrs.LL will move on.  If he doesn't, then I suspect she won't.  Either way, there's not a damned thing to be done about it now.

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife’s whole family are simple people of the land. Both in-laws grew up farming and ranching, so they are straight ticket team R. My MIL has been pretty brainwashed by Fox, etc because she sits around the house all day with nothing to do. My FIL has a ranch to run and doesn’t have time for any of that shit. He’s told me he doesn’t care for Trump and it’s the racism and “build the wall” stuff that’s turned him off. He’s spent his entire professional career in ag, as a rancher and county extension agent, and he knows how badly the ag industry relies on immigrant labor. He also knows tons of Mexican rancher types personally and enjoys their company. My hope with him is that he votes R in all the down ballot stuff and leaves President blank. 

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

While I personally don't have anyone I'd consider a friend who is a Trumper, I think some of you give the average Trump voters way too much credit with the depth of their thought. Because I can assure you it usually doesn't go deeper than "hurr durr Orange man pie hole go brrrr". Now if you think that person is too dumb to be cordial to, then fair enough, but know that is the majority of our citizenry so you are going to have to be a dick to a lot of people.

Yes. This is exactly The point I was trying to make above. 

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It's not a matter of thinking like a republican or a Democrat- it's a matter of keeping your own caucus together. If you control the Senate by a 50/50 margin with Harris acting as the tie breaker at all times it severely limits what you can accomplish from a partisan perspective.  You gonna get the Green New deal passed if you need the vote of Manchin or Siema?  I don't think that's really likely.  

You will be able to accomplish only whatever about 100% of your party wants to accomplish. With a wider than 50/50 margin in the Senate what was the GOP able to accomplish?  Tax cuts and that's about it. They couldn't even repeal Obama care with all three branches of the government. In a 50/50 world the dems will see the same thing happening when trying to govern, I would imagine. You aren't going to have all 50 Senators in line to pack the courts, or admit PR or DC as a state or green new deal or any of the other really ambitious desires of the party. Hell, I don't even know that you can roll back the tax cuts- but that might be possible. Public option?  Not super likely. Not with 50 senators.  52 or 53? You can probably get some shit done then I'd think. 

My point was that every time Republicans thought it was worth the political price they decided to go with 51 votes and history be damned.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

TBH, amongst the things that I worry about amidst all of the forthcoming legal protests and shenanigans are MAGAdiots pointing to things like this and screaming "voter fraud- fake ballots!" rather than "Our candidate was so terrible that everyone decided to show up and vote against him".

(Oh, and my staunch Republican in-laws will not be voting for Trump. They'll be writing someone in <I suggested me>, but they can't "honor God and vote for that man". My father, the ordained minister and his seminary trained teacher wife both voted for Trump weeks ago via mail. That certainly makes it easier for me not to need to go to the trailer for the holidays this year)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Nope.  See the numbers above, 45%.  If you stood here and told me "hey, good news.....55% of your body mass is NOT deadly cancer!".....I don't think I'd be relieved by that supposedly joyous news.  This perspective is fucking nuts.

Did you literally just compare Trump voters to cancer?

fd5457e8-1ad8-4d30-8f82-d9878efcd189_tex

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'm willing to give it a try.  Any job worth doing is worth doing well.

Oh, and I don't need to be a dick to them.  I'm just cutting them entirely out of my life.  And devoting all of my political efforts to marginalizing them and making sure their voices never, ever, ever, have primacy in our body politic again.

• Hook 'Em 1

I know one Trump voter that is a single issue voter -- abortion.  Nothing else really matters to her.  I don't really hold it that much against her and can remain friends as I know she is otherwise a pretty reasonable person, even though I am kind of conservative on certain issues but disagree with her on abortion.  

1 minute ago, NWBuck said:

TBH, amongst the things that I worry about amidst all of the forthcoming legal protests and shenanigans are MAGAdiots pointing to things like this and screaming "voter fraud- fake ballots!" rather than "Our candidate was so terrible that everyone decided to show up and vote against him".

(Oh, and my staunch Republican in-laws will not be voting for Trump. They'll be writing someone in <I suggested me>, but they can't "honor God and vote for that man". My father, the ordained minister and his seminary trained teacher wife both voted for Trump weeks ago via mail. That certainly makes it easier for me not to need to go to the trailer for the holidays this year)

Some people look at the candidate and then the policy, and some look at the policy and then the candidate, and some look at the policy only. 
I could never look past trump to care about the “policy” he espouses. 

• Like 2

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown will declare emergency, ready National Guard ahead of election

Bracing for the possibility of political violence stemming from Tuesday’s election, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown is declaring a state of emergency in the Portland area and readying National Guard troops for potential deployment.

Brown announced Monday that she’d use her authority to declare an emergency from 5 p.m. Monday until 5 p.m. Wednesday. It’s the second time in two months that the governor has declared an emergency in preparation for possible violence. In this case, Brown and law enforcement officials said they will also guard against efforts to dissuade people from casting ballots.

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/11/02/oregon-gov-kate-brown-will-declare-emergency-ready-national-guard-ahead-of-election/

I will say this.  In my 50 years on the planet, I have never seen so many predictions of violence on an election day.  Well, not in this supposedly first world country, anyway.

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't give a shit if 5%, 45%, or 95% support cruel, vindictive shitheels.  I disavow them all.

He's a troll, but he's a good snapshot of the Trumpkin id.

This.  Want to discuss what you think the appropriate path for long-term transportation planning is?  And maybe we wildly disagree?  Cool, cool.  Want to see if we agree/disagree about how to address ISIS as a threat?  Fantastic.  I'd fucking KILL for that sort of political disagreement again.

But stand up for a man who is, FUCKING LITERALLY AS I TYPE, spewing insane lies like "Biden will cancel the vaccine"....no, I have no place for you in my life.  You support a goddamned psychopath who is normalizing his shitbaggery, and destroying all of our norms and institutions in the process.  These aren't political differences.  They are moral differences, and human differences.

You are overthinking this. I own a business that I have nothing to do with managing other than talking to The two people in charge of the thing. They have total autonomy. I was there on Friday (I spend approximately 12 hours a month there, by agreement with the manager so she can have a day and a half off). They spent 10 minutes dissecting their Halloween costumes. One of them was shawty and the other one was batty and they were trying to explain it to their manager. 
they are voting for Trump. They brought this up. I can promise you there isn’t anything evil (or thoughtful) about their choice of vote. One of them said something about being pro life and another one said they thought Biden was too old. I can promise you they gave a million times more thought to their Halloween costumes. 
This is most of America. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm willing to give it a try.  Any job worth doing is worth doing well.

Oh, and I don't need to be a dick to them.  I'm just cutting them entirely out of my life.  And devoting all of my political efforts to marginalizing them and making sure their voices never, ever, ever, have primacy in our body politic again.

I mean, thats pretty much my strategy. But I have to a least acknowledge my neighbors when I pass.

10 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

My point was that every time Republicans thought it was worth the political price they decided to go with 51 votes and history be damned.

But the universe of what they picked from was extremely limited. I’m not arguing this as a matter of principle just as a political fact. 

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The amount of thought the average Americans put into politics is almost zero. It’s also something, by and large that they inherited and they hold onto it as a legacy from what they generally thought as they were coming of age. We basically do this as a team sport. 
 I think most of this could simply be handled by saying I guess we see the world a little bit (or maybe even a lot) differently and I’m going to hold onto what I love about you instead of making a mountain out of a molehill. 

Racism, sexism, rape aren’t molehills. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

One of them was shawty and the other one was batty and they were trying to explain it to their manager. 
they are voting for Trump. They brought this up. I can promise you there isn’t anything evil (or thoughtful) about their choice of vote. One of them said something about being pro life and another one said they thought Biden was too old. I can promise you they gave a million times more thought to their Halloween costumes. 
This is most of America. 

Cool.

I don't give a fuck if you support and enable evil because you're a true believer, or because you are lazy and stupid.  If you support and enable evil, you have inflicted harm and you're culpable for your choice.  I don't give a fuck if your grandma only supported Hitler because his Brown Shirts made sure her trash was picked up on time -- she voted for a goddamned anti-semetic madman who anyone could see was going to be horrific for Germany.  Fuck your grandma to hell.  "My trash got picked up" doesn't balance out "and you know, the Final Solution."  

I don't give a fuck what your excuse is -- I don't accept it.  Stop doing and enabling evil shit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are overthinking this. I own a business that I have nothing to do with managing other than talking to The two people in charge of the thing. They have total autonomy. I was there on Friday (I spend approximately 12 hours a month there, by agreement with the manager so she can have a day and a half off). They spent 10 minutes dissecting their Halloween costumes. One of them was shawty and the other one was batty and they were trying to explain it to their manager. 
This is most of America. 

Too old is a bullshit cop out. One is 77 and the other is 74 and just had a Covid hospital stay. It’s not the true reason. 

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Some people look at the candidate and then the policy, and some look at the policy and then the candidate, and some look at the policy only. 
I could never look past trump to care about the “policy” he espouses. 

Well, it doesn't really matter, because he espouses no policy.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Here is one issue that I think crystallizes how this board is not nearly as “right of center” as it declares itself to be. 

RBG death/ACB appointment. 

A lot of right of center voters have for years pulled the lever in large part because of an emphasis on the composition of the Supreme Court. When the opportunity presented itself for the Senate to follow through on its mandate, almost everyone here acted like it was the end of the Republic.

Almost unanimous disapproval here of a move that ended up polling relatively well (I shared a poll then that showed plurality of voters approved of her appointment).  

The Democratic response has been to threaten packing the Court. Judging the room from my experience, that would have overwhelming approval here, from this “right of center” group. 🙄🙄🙄

The problem I have with it is the absolute fucking lies by the Republican senators. If the senators had stood by what they said when they refused to give Obamas nominee a vote,, there wouldn’t have been enough votes to confirm. They are lying sacks of shit that can’t be trusted and regardless of whether I think Berrett would’ve otherwise been a good judge, they shit all over the process and I have no respect for them at this point. If you are OK with a win at all cost philosophy, get ready to be bent over with no lube when you inevitably are in the minority.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Too old is a bullshit cop out. One is 77 and the other is 74 and just had a Covid hospital stay. It’s not the true reason. 

It was a 24 year old wearing a Halloween costume that said “batty” with a picture of a black bat on it that was a server for the last 6 years and is working in her first office job. How much thought do you think she’s putting into this?  
I’m sure it’s something she heard a parent say- or heard on the news or some other old or more politically engaged person say. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Racism, sexism, rape aren’t molehills. 

They definitely aren't, but Wulaw is actually making a salient point here for once. There is a massive subset of our populace that had no clue they are supporting these things, or at least has so much cognitive dissonance they can't see it.

I realize this sounds impossible to believe for a moderately sentient human, but it is actually the case.

I'm not saying friend or support these people, but be aware they exist.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, it doesn't really matter, because he espouses no policy.

What are you talking about? He's going to announce his policy in a few weeks and it's going to be the best policy you've ever seen. He's done more policy for your policy than any policy ever has.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, G650 said:

And I'm fine with that.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s not how they view it. It just isn’t. There’s not any rea thought put into it and to the extent there is they have a different world view than you. 

Cool.  I didn't MEAN to drive my car right over your family.  I just like to listen to the radio, tuning it constantly and not watching the road at all.  I think that's what's really important when driving, I just have a different worldview than you pussy libtards who "watch where you're going" and "pay attention to the road."  I don't put any more thought into it than that.  No intent at all to crush your children beneath my wheels, why are you so bent out of shape?

I. Don't. Give. A. Single. FUCK.  what their goddamned excuse is.  I don't care if you do damage because  you're mean, or because you're ass-blastingly stupid.  Damaged is damaged.  I hold them responsible for their actions.

Party of personal responsibility and all that, right?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s not how they view it. It just isn’t. There’s not any rea thought put into it and to the extent there is they have a different world view than you. 

I don’t care. That’s what they support. They are either stupid, bigoted, or ignorant. Being ignorant is no excuse for bigotry when we have all the resources in the world. We can have a different worldview. That’s not what the issue is. 

20 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

My wife’s whole family are simple people of the land. Both in-laws grew up farming and ranching, so they are straight ticket team R. My MIL has been pretty brainwashed by Fox, etc because she sits around the house all day with nothing to do. My FIL has a ranch to run and doesn’t have time for any of that shit. He’s told me he doesn’t care for Trump and it’s the racism and “build the wall” stuff that’s turned him off. He’s spent his entire professional career in ag, as a rancher and county extension agent, and he knows how badly the ag industry relies on immigrant labor. He also knows tons of Mexican rancher types personally and enjoys their company. My hope with him is that he votes R in all the down ballot stuff and leaves President blank. 

You just described both sides of my family tree. You and I differ on what we hope for as far as their voting, but it is an interesting  dichotomy - people who are otherwise conservative but can’t get worked up about illegals because they’re not only a fundamental part of that economy for 100 years, but also (over time) like another extension of the family. My grandad’s head hand, Jesse, and his family had Thanksgiving dinner with us every year; he was a pallbearer at his funeral.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool.  I didn't MEAN to drive my car right over your family.  I just like to listen to the radio, tuning it constantly and not watching the road at all.  I think that's what's really important when driving, I just have a different worldview than you pussy libtards who "watch where you're going" and "pay attention to the road."  I don't put any more thought into it than that.  No intent at all to crush your children beneath my wheels, why are you so bent out of shape?

I. Don't. Give. A. Single. FUCK.  what their goddamned excuse is.  I don't care if you do damage because  you're mean, or because you're ass-blastingly stupid.  Damaged is damaged.  I hold them responsible for their actions.

Also, why bother voting if you're that uninterested? Seems like *cough* bullshit *cough*

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You are a fucking loon right now and your analogies suck. If you intentionally run over my family you are guilty of murder. If you do it bc you aren’t paying attention and are a dipshit it’s vehicular manslaughter. There is an entire universe of colors in the crayons box other than black and white. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

They definitely aren't, but Wulaw is actually making a salient point here for once. There is a massive subset of our populace that had no clue they are supporting these things, or at least has so much cognitive dissonance they can't see it.

I realize this sounds impossible to believe for a moderately sentient human, but it is actually the case.

I'm not saying friend or support these people, but be aware they exist.

I’m aware they exist. That doesn’t change my point in the slightest. Ignorance isn’t an excuse. 

• Like 1