Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Elizabeth Warren is the closest I’ve seen to go straight for the fucking jugular on Trump.

because she'd reverse every gd thing he's instituted and we'd all benefit--even the rich would continue to get richer.  That's the kicker, they can try and get it all at once and more or gradually.    

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Our political landscape was in a much worse place and fraught with more peril in the Articles of Confederation years, when the Alien and Sedition Acts were passed, from about the 1830s through the end of Reconstruction (with the Civil War of course being quite a low point), the Great Depression, and the 1960s.

It is extremely disappointing to me to see where we are now - it’s a lot worse than I thought it was a few years ago - but we’re going to be ok.  It’s a blip on the radar compared to the internal crises we’ve faced in the past, not to mention the external ones like the War of 1812 and WW2.  In a lot of ways we are working ourselves into hysterics because most of us haven’t experienced the really bad shit to put the current situation into perspective.

If some Trumpkins start losing jobs in significant numbers from his policies, I think you will see some of them changing their minds, or at least staying home.  Hit people in their wallet, threaten them with poverty, etc. due to unnecessary trade wars meant to feed Trump's ego, and the whole "IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT" thing doesn't carry a lot of water.  Oh, I know, some will continue to blame Democrats/Obama/aborted gay atheist fetuses, but plenty will figure it out quick.  Plenty of Trump's fanbase are following the markets for one reason or another (either watching their retirement, or are directly involved such as agriculture, manufacturing, etc.), and the people doing market analysis aren't going to blame Obama.

And lest we forget, some of these states were Democrat well within our lifetimes (Texas and Oklahoma being good examples) when they were much less diverse, and the Trump Fan Brigade was alive and kicking during those times, so somebody was voting for those Democrats.  

And we are already seeing lower-level minions in the Trump administration trying to put the fires out, so they know he fucked up, and they are trying to keep things on a steady keel.

I agree - this is going to be a blip on the radar.  A damned big blip, but a blip nonetheless.  The problem is, the GOP, for whatever reason, has decided they don't give a damn about power in the future, and they are trying to loot everything on their way out.  It's going to take a competent person who chooses his staff wisely in 2021 to restore things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, this is admittedly pure conjecture and not worth anything, but if there’s one thing that seems evident about Trump it’s that everyone who teams up with him gets burned for it.  He may be Teflon, but for everyone else he’s like the living embodiment of a Faustian bargain.

With that in mind, it would be fitting, and not particularly unlikely, that the Democrats win Congress this year and then Trump does an about face and starts making deals with them, either to save his skin, to get “wins” or whatever.  Some of his supporters will continue to hold the rope, but if that happens plenty will have the realization that they were used and kicked out to the curb ... just like with any con artist.  

Trumpism isn’t built to last unless we all get down in the muck with him.

Plenty have realized that you will get burned and/or be tainted if you work with or around him.  Look at Trump's difficulty in staffing.  Look at the morons he has working for him - not the best and brightest in the GOP (Rick-fucking-Perry and his meat processing degree in charge of our nukes, Betsy Airhead DeVos running Education, Pruitt, etc.).

And I have no doubt that Trump will happily work with Democrats.  He grew up working with and around Democrats.  He made comments about gun control that should have scared the shit out of gun owners.  

For all of his bluster about the Democrats, much of it is part of the image that he crafted during his campaign.  In the end, he's quite comfortable with Democrats, and Ivanka and Jared in particular have some left-leaning tendencies.   

My only long-term concern is that when the Democrats get in, if they have somebody like Pelosi behind the scenes, they will go full-tilt on not only "correcting" what Trump and the GOP did, but they will take the opportunity to over-correct.  And with the coming demographic changes, it will be damned hard for the GOP to have any significant power in the future.

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

And of course Canada will pay for it. 

Nah, the Mexicans will pay for that one, too. Trump is the artist of the deal. He's got this.

We'll have to find somebody else to pay for the wall between the US and Europe.

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Nah, the Mexicans will pay for that one, too. Trump is the artist of the deal. He's got this.

We'll have to find somebody else to pay for the wall between the US and Europe.

Guatemala. Just keep working his way down Central and South America.

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If some Trumpkins start losing jobs in significant numbers from his policies, I think you will see some of them changing their minds, or at least staying home.  Hit people in their wallet, threaten them with poverty, etc. due to unnecessary trade wars meant to feed Trump's ego, and the whole "IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT" thing doesn't carry a lot of water.  

Blaming the Dems (or the queens and the coons and the reds and the Jews) carries all the water they need. Trumpists have demonstrated confirmation bias at every turn. If something bad happens, it can't be Trump because he only does good. If something (apparently) good happens, it must be Trump defeating the haters and the libs who want to destroy our country.

Last weekend I was driving in from Fredericksburg. One of the landowners on 290 had posted a large, handmade sign over his mailbox.

The Democrats will destroy this country just to spite President Trump!

They see what they want to see.

It's the electorate.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Blaming the Dems (or the queens and the coons and the reds and the Jews) carries all the water they need. Trumpists have demonstrated confirmation bias at every turn. If something bad happens, it can't be Trump because he only does good. If something (apparently) good happens, it must be Trump defeating the haters and the libs who want to destroy our country.

Last weekend I was driving in from Fredericksburg. One of the landowners on 290 had posted a large, handmade sign over his mailbox.

The Democrats will destroy this country just to spite President Trump!

They see what they want to see.

It's the electorate.

Absolutely this. Unless Trump is still president in 2023 and the job market has cratered, the reign of that communist Kenyan will be too recent and will occupy all the space in these peoples' minds.

I'm not as much onboard with Brisket that everything is fucked and the plane has crashed into the goddamn mountain, but I'm so pessimistic about these elections coming up. So many of the southern swing districts have been gerrymander so perfectly, and the secretaries of state (see the Ohio SC ruling just today) have done an efficient job at suppressing generally democratic minority votes, that it is going to take an immense turnout and trust in vulnerable voting systems that conveniently haven't been addressed in many places.

Edited by GSU&UT

11 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

I'm not as much onboard with Brisket that everything is fucked and the plane has crashed into the goddamn mountain, but I'm so pessimistic about these elections coming up.

The plane hasn't crashed into the mountain, yet. But we're below 10,000 ft in the middle of a thunderstorm and the pilot has turned off the radar and autopilot because he can tell how we're are doing just by his touch and feel.

Did I mention he ordered the fish for dinner?

Edited by RPM
  • Like 3

The plane hasn't crashed into the mountain, yet. But we're below 10,000 ft in the middle of a thunderstorm and the pilot has turned off the radar and autopilot because he can tell how we're are doing just by his touch and feel.

I hope he doesn’t think about what happened that day over Macho Grande.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, RPM said:

"Good luck. We're all counting on you."

• Like 1

here's some excerpt clips from the tl;dr comments Hugo posted a few pages back.  

The article itself gets more into how Russia is meddling in other democracies around the world, and how now is when we need to be standing with our democratic allies, watching each others' backs from just this sort of tampering. 

I know it was a long read, but it really lays out what Russia is doing, which in turn points out how Trump is laying out the red carpet and protecting these actions.    But all of this gets washed out by one term "Deep State!" 

All these Qanon idiots keeping this alive are too blinded by their need to have just one of their conspiracy theories come true.   And Russia planted that crap too.  

I can only hope that sooner rather than later the voters here wake up to what is going on and how easily they are being influenced and divided.  Somebody has to figure out a way to expose the errors in their logic while still leaving them a way to back out without losing face.    

I think they would abandon trump fast once they accept he's been using them.  And hopefully there is enough chagrin from being duped that they learn something from it.  Or enough of them do to reduce the power base that put him in office to begin with.  I think we are seeing the beginnings of that.  His shtick is wearing thin with more and more of his supporters. 

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Theo Huxtable said:

Hopefully Kudlow dies. I don’t mean that as an exaggeration. I really mean it. While I would feel sad for his family, humanity would be much better off. Go heart attack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

C'mon man, thats pretty low.

1 minute ago, tchookem said:

Do you not think that the world would be better off if a few key people were no longer alive?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sure but I don't think Kudlow reaches that threshold.

Sure but I don't think Kudlow reaches that threshold.
You're probably right, but for a guy that was supposed to be another "voice of reason" in the administration, he's been pretty silent as his boss has gone forward with policy he used to criticize.

Maybe a retirement with an honest public assessment as he leaves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Btw. He got schooled - legitimized KimJongUn, basically rehashed 1992 and 2004 while he gave a major concession in stopping joint military exercises.

Basically exactly what Moscow and Beijing wanted.

Well done dotard.

He also got totally played with an old car sales trick.  If something kind of wants something, take it away and make them want it more.

Btw. He got schooled - legitimized KimJongUn, basically rehashed 1992 and 2004 while he gave a major concession in stopping joint military exercises.

Basically exactly what Moscow and Beijing wanted.

Well done dotard.

This is an unreasonable take at this point in time. I hate the guy’s guts but you have to acknowledge that what happened today is at least a very positive first step towards a tough goal. It may all mean nothing a year from now, but at this point it has to be acknowledged as progress.

7 hours ago, tchookem said:

Do you not think that the world would be better off if a few key people were no longer alive?

if by "a few key people" you mean trump and everyone on the planet who supports him, then yes, the world would be immediately and exponentially better off

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is an unreasonable take at this point in time. I hate the guy’s guts but you have to acknowledge that what happened today is at least a very positive first step towards a tough goal. It may all mean nothing a year from now, but at this point it has to be acknowledged as progress.

Depends on what the long term strategic goal is. If it is to get the Kim's out of control of NK and to put it in the hands of the people, then that is highly unlikely now. If it is to just relieve tensions in the area, then sure, this is a good thing. Problem is that it looks like to relieve tensions, we need to back out of the area which impacts other long term strategic goals. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear