Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

It's like the concept of growth is lost on some of you. There's a reason why change is slow. Because old white people are fucking set in their ways. Because to you tradition is more important than being inconvenienced to sing a new song which doesn't offend the players on the field play the sport that you are so fanatic about. This is exactly like what Tom Herman said about the players vs the old white fans. Are the players only purpose to satisfy your entertainment? Do their voices and the value as people not matter? Or do they only matter up to the point where you are inconvenienced?

Are you saying only white people can be set in their ways? That’s racist as fuck you clown. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Well, speaking up and attempting to take a stand is good until you say something stupid.  Imo, they are exploiting and conflating serious issues with invented ones.  Seems to me a real leader would argue the difference between The Eyes and real racial issues.  There are many and this song shouldn't even make the list.  For example the confederate statues or flag which was an actual symbol that represented people pro slavery.  This song does not state or imply anything racist.  That to me would be real leadership.  Right now imo they seem like they are looking for anything something to take up a cause against.  Picking this song seems misinformed and frankly stupid.  It weakens and harms the credibility of real racial issues imo.    

Absolutely.     Speaking up for the sake of speaking up is just a waste of hot air.  Take a stand against something that has some substance.   You're trying to connect those dots with the school song, how it was applied by some misfits decades back, without any merits on its lyrics as they are and otherwise.  Just because we are in a country today where all the shit you can throw against the wall is expected to stick.

Sorry, fellas, that doesn't work.  You'll get support, when merited.  But, when reaching for the sake of reaching, you just lose traction.

• Like 3

There's a yellow rose in Texas, that I am going to see, 
No other darky knows her, no darky only me 
She cryed [sic] so when I left her it like to broke my heart, 
And if I ever find her, we nevermore will part.

[Chorus]

She's the sweetest rose of color this darky ever knew, 
Her eyes are bright as diamonds,they sparkle like the dew; 
You may talk about your Dearest May, and sing of Rosa Lee, 
But the Yellow Rose of Texas beats the belles of Tennessee.

When the Rio Grande is flowing, the starry skies are bright, 
She walks along the river in the quite summer night: 
She thinks if I remember, when we parted long ago, 
I promised to come back again, and not to leave her so. [Chorus]

Oh now I'm going to find her, for my heart is full of woe, 
And we'll sing the songs togeather [sic], that we sung so long ago 
We'll play the bango gaily, and we'll sing the songs of yore, 
And the Yellow Rose of Texas shall be mine forevermore

2 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

[Chorus]

Not racist

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

[Chorus]

Be useful and bring us the shit our high school following jock sniffers, on the recruiting board, can tweet to aTm recruits.  

Edited by RollLeft

Just now, Clintonaldo said:

Texas needs to free the oppressed and offended athletes and let them go study elsehwere on their own dime. 

Tom told their mothers he’d raise men, not sheep. Maybe you should go off somewhere else 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

I will ask again

Does this work with everyone ?

What if the women of Texas wanted MLK's name removed from streets, building, schools and statues taken down because he was a womanizer and adulterer? Would that ever happen?

Don't forget "hoe chasa"

I am really sorry everyone, but I still remember a few months ago. When people were not intimidated and afraid to even speak. What a bunch of scared little ladies we've become. So a few spoiled athletes with a free ride through college are digging around, just trying to find something to be offended about? You mean that same bunch of kids that quit on us last year? The group that watched the Big 12 Championship on TV? They are throwing down ultimatums? Well, don't let the door hit you in the ass. What a bunch of ingrates. I would rather watch a bunch of 2 star walk-ons that at least give the game everything they have. BTW, there is nothing wrong with the school song. That's really a stretch. By that standard just about everything is racist. I say piss on their demands. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:
When a large group of black alumni band together to show their support for keeping The Eyes then we will be able to debate. If that doesn't happen then it would be pretty hard to say there isn't a racial divide on the topic.

I want to hear Earl, Ricky, and Vince. I'll do whatever they want.

Was going to post something to this effect. Let our 3 greatest players discuss it and the majority decision to keep or get rid of it. 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

There's chatter here in OK that the "eyes" situation has triggered ou student groups to once again put pressure on the university to drop "boomer sooner". If y'all could fall on your swords on this one, you'd really have my thanks.

• Like 1

I am really sorry everyone, but I still remember a few months ago. When people were not intimidated and afraid to even speak. What a bunch of scared little ladies we've become. So a few spoiled athletes with a free ride through college are digging around, just trying to find something to be offended about? You mean that same bunch of kids that quit on us last year? The group that watched the Big 12 Championship on TV? They are throwing down ultimatums? Well, don't let the door hit you in the ass. What a bunch of ingrates. I would rather watch a bunch of 2 star walk-ons that at least give the game everything they have. BTW, there is nothing wrong with the school song. That's really a stretch. By that standard just about everything is racist. I say piss on their demands. 

Username check out

31 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Well, speaking up and attempting to take a stand is good until you say something stupid.  Imo, they are exploiting and conflating serious issues with invented ones.  Seems to me a real leader would argue the difference between The Eyes and real racial issues.  There are many and this song shouldn't even make the list.  For example the confederate statues or flag which was an actual symbol that represented people pro slavery.  This song does not state or imply anything racist.  That to me would be real leadership.  Right now imo they seem like they are looking for anything something to take up a cause against.  Picking this song seems misinformed and frankly stupid.  It weakens and harms the credibility of real racial issues imo.    

Well they seem to be doing a pretty good job making people talk about racism and likely will end up with some change.  Certainly are making a lot of people who think they can define racism uncomfortable.  

We're not gonna break through that 5 loss season average with your attitude, sir.

56 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I'm on board with so many things that need to change in this country but cutting The Eyes of Texas as our school song is something I'm willing to fight against.

It’s essentially gone. No way it survives now 

5 minutes ago, Sandman said:

There's chatter here in OK that the "eyes" situation has triggered ou student groups to once again put pressure on the university to drop "boomer sooner". If y'all could fall on your swords on this one, you'd really have my thanks.

Man if I never had to hear that song again in the Cotton Bowl I’d gladly give up the Eyes...

8 minutes ago, Loather said:

texags may be more your speed  

Let’s talk about their threat of not participating in recruiting visits. What the fuck man. Our rivals are just going to love that. We have our own fucking players sabotaging our recruiting efforts. No need for others to negatively recruit when our guys are doing that. Destroy Texas football even further. Lincoln Riley is smiling his ass off.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Jcsatx said:

Well they seem to be doing a pretty good job making people talk about racism and likely will end up with some change.  Certainly are making a lot of people who think they can define racism uncomfortable.  

If you reread the thread title it may help you not make points no one is arguing.    

It’s both cringey and amusing to read all of the really generic (“slippery slope”/“these entitled athletes”/“shut up and dribble”) whining and bitching posts on here in the voice of a really generic, uneducated hick that probably looks like this:

7589f16c308be43c985d47136a1e953d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, mdleast said:

It’s both cringey and amusing to read all of the really generic (“slippery slope”/“these entitled athletes”/“shut up and dribble”) whining and bitching posts on here in the voice of a really generic, uneducated hick that probably looks like this:

7589f16c308be43c985d47136a1e953d.jpg

I thought stereotyping was bad. 

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Since when, 2 days ago? I've never heard of it being a point of contention among athletes at UT. 

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, i'm still not on board. as far as i can tell nobody here had even heard of this fact until just now. i mean, who exactly has the song been hurting? the answer of course is 'nobody'. in fact, it's a decades old tradition that has been about unity and togetherness, often shared together by 100,000+ people of all types races, religions, and ethnicities. for decades the song has brought people together and been one of the hallmark traditions of the University of Texas, and has been hurting/negatively affecting exactly no one. but we now find out that the guy who wrote it was a racist and suddenly we need to get rid of this time honored tradition that's been a right of passage for both and fans and players for generations? no, i can't get on board with that. its misguided and gratuitous. everything else they've asked for makes sense, but this request is too big an ask for too insignificant a reason. 

My thoughts exactly. If they’re upset about the school song,  then why are they now just bringing it up? Why didn’t they bring it up in the past?

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. You seem upset a certain segment is finally demanding change of all the racist history this country has and want to drop the program for a fucking song? Good lord. Grow a fucking pair of nuts.

This movement is now real. Get used to it. All that racist bullshit can take a hike. No matter how much history is behind it. If you get upset about songs being taken away, you need to step back and examine your life in general. 

What is your connection to the University of Texas?

• Like 3

Just now, Longboard Horn said:

My thoughts exactly. If they’re upset about the school song,  then why are they now just bringing it up? Why didn’t they bring it up in the past?

I can't speak for the current players, but this issue has come up at least a couple of times over the past ten years. 

Before that I don't think anyone knew some of the real history. 

I remember that previous tales about the Eyes history was that it was originally a silly song made in jest that played off of one of the Univ presidents favorite lines "The Eyes of Texas are upon you". And then evolved to become a beloved song over the years. 

The whole minstrel thing was either purposely or inadvertently omitted from past historical descriptions, as far as I can remember. 

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

If you reread the thread title it may help you not make points no one is arguing.    

I guess I was too subtle for you.  In your opinion this is not an important example of racism.  In their opinion it is.  Maybe you’ll be able to help them define “important” racism.  

I have been %100 behind the push for the movement as it’s been evolving in our country.  But....

The eyes of Texas are upon you...all the live long days.

The eyes of Texas are upon you...you cannot get away.

Do not think you can escape them...they rise so early in the morn’.

The eyes of Texas are upon you...til Gabriel blows his horn.

I’m just now t sure what I’m missing as the racial innuendos in this song.  Open to listening, but I need an explanation.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn01 said:

Look it’s real simple here guys. I, as a white male, am not offended by my racist school song. But I AM offended that other people are offended.

I mean until today I didn’t even know it was racist. What am I supposed to do, take the time to learn about racism?!?

I mean, why can’t a bunch of unpaid black players suck it up and sing my special football Texas stalking song in front of thousands of white fans? It’s the only time my dad and I have any real emotional connection. OK!

What’s next? Thomas Jefferson? George Washington? Stephen F Austin? Grandpappy? You’re telling me I need to face the troubling racist elements that goes all the way back to the founding of this country?

What am I supposed to do? Look to find common ground, bridge the gap and heal old wounds. Even make small sacrifices to build a better country and quit kicking this can down the road.

I don’t think so. No special blackface football song. No America.

You can always be governor of Virginia.  

• Like 2

I'll get negged for this, but next up are they going to demand to ban white people from attending the games? What about the white players? White coaches?
Where does it stop? Everything can be racist if you try hard enough.
Your post is so intellectually bankrupt that I'm stunned that you didn't work in the official catchphrase of the intellectually bankrupt -- "slippery slope."
  • Like 1