COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

On 8/29/2021 at 7:45 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

I was reading that and thought to myself “men who don’t get life insurance when their spouses are stay at home moms are the worst. 
My wife will have enough to pay off the house and between the kids SSI and what’s left over and earning interest have 100k a year income. Then- she will be able to send the kids to college and have them be debt free coming out of school (that will wipe out the last of her insurance), before having enough to live a frugal but reasonable life on my social security if she keeps the house, or sell the house, downsize into a condo bc she will be old by then and line on $1,000,000 in bank/the interest it draws her going forward along with my social security. 
Of course, if she wants to work after the kids graduate she can certainly do so- she’s not lazy or handicapped or anything like that and once the kids are gone she won’t have any responsibilities toward them. 
All this planning took roughly an hour of writing it all down in instructions, 3 phone calls to buddies (hey, I’m doing my will setting stuff up for in case I die- can you keep an eye on my wife and help her with any financial decisions if I die?) and about $85 a month in term life policies and I’m a great big fat guy and smoker to boot). 
But no this dick head gonna preach about personal responsibility, not have a will and leave his soon to be mother of 4 barefoot and pregnant and penniless. Fucking prick. 
poor lady. 

Can you add pic of your wife, and provide info when you will next be walking under a hanging piano?

But on topic, the dead guy was anything but a man. Spent all of his time working to get remove of mask mandates and fight against the vaccine, all while having more kids and not taking care of them financially. Hopefully the widow can find someone new that can be a better husband and father to her/her kids.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/29/2021 at 5:07 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I think you can probably get a bang maid, if they are live in for free and you don’t ask them to do too terribly much for $1000 or $1500 or so if you mail order it. That’s what I was told anyway. And it makes sense. But that’s light sex work. And light house work. But not near as expensive as you are making it out to be. 

bang maid?  what do I google to learn more about bang maids?

Just now, babysdaddy said:

bang maid?  what do I google to learn more about bang maids?

Dude just get a regular maid, and a sugar baby. Then you can rotate either as often as necessary without adversely affecting the other. 

who wants to fire a good maid because you are tired of fucking her?  Who wants to put up with a shitty maid just because she gives good head?  

no reason to run lean, that’s two jobs. 

• Like 1

637 cases in Travis County today with 583 people hospitalized. Cases still skewing school-age in terms of over representation

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/1 vs 8/31 10 71 97 123 122 90 55 41 20 8 637
% of Daily Change 1.57% 11.15% 15.23% 19.31% 19.15% 14.13% 8.63% 6.44% 3.14% 1.26%  
% of Total Cases 0.72% 4.96% 10.93% 25.72% 20.83% 14.73% 10.84% 6.35% 3.02% 1.89%  

On 8/29/2021 at 1:38 PM, atomheartbevo said:

This should be a lesson for a lot of folks.  The guy I mentioned above, he was only 30.  He should have gotten vaccinated, if only to protect his pregnant wife and kids.

The wife wore masks even as he protested against them, and he refused to see a doctor because he didn't want to be a covid statistic, and he was taking ivermectin.

https://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2021/08/22/texas-covid-delta-variant-hospitalizations-high-mom-fights-save-husband/8196516002/

From a few weeks ago (he had been unconscious since early in August):

If someone has to go on an ECMO are they pretty much fucked? Just found out a coworker’s husband who’s been in ICU for a few weeks is getting put on an ECMO

20 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

giphy.gif

Seriously though. No one gets off of ECMO alive. It’s virtually pointless.

This. When i worked in CVICU for 3 years, I took care of maybe 80-90 ecmo patients. Maybe 10 made it out of the hospital alive… and many missing fingers, toes, a nose here or there, and other things because of all the jet fuel/pressors they were on. 

ECMO is a hail mary trearment, at best

2 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

If someone has to go on an ECMO are they pretty much fucked? Just found out a coworker’s husband who’s been in ICU for a few weeks is getting put on an ECMO

It's definitely a last ditch effort.  My kids' pediatrician had COVID last summer and ended up having to go on an ECMO.  He survived.  He didn't come back to work until January, appears very frail, and tires easily just from talking.  He is a shadow of his former self.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

501 for Waco.  Largest number ever.  I think during the winter wave last year we had 300 on one day.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/99794c05142a466392ad926963ae0db6

About 200 of these cases are school age.RDT_20210901_1727395900217315882267639.jpg.226423fb94f71a7fd4fb695ec2e9a1bd.jpg

Screenshot_20210901-163652_Chrome.jpg

And 25 dead from the weekend through today.  Gee, if only there was a predictable pattern to this like low vaccination rate, full on school reopening with masks optional and a general health status of the population that rivals any state in the southeast. I guess the mayor can order another portable morgue.

• Like 1

So, back to a bigger conversation we had a while back about how much immunity the population really might have.  MAYBE there's some cause for optimism, in the long-term:

(CNN)More than 80% of Americans 16 and older have some level of immunity against the coronavirus, mostly through vaccination, a survey of blood donations indicates.

The survey, led by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, also indicates that about twice as many people have been infected with the virus as have been officially counted. More than 39 million Americans have been diagnosed with coronavirus infection since the pandemic started in 2020.

The team, led by the CDC's Dr. Jefferson Jones, set out to determine how close the US might be to some kind of herd immunity -- although they do not claim to have any kind of handle on that yet.

They worked with 17 blood collection organizations working in all 50 states plus Washington, DC, and Puerto Rico to test blood covering 74% of the population. In the end, they tested about 1.4 million samples.

In July 2020, before any vaccine was available, 3.5% of samples carried antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19. That rose to 11.5% by December, they reported in the medical journal JAMA. By May, 83.3% of samples had antibodies to the virus, most of them from vaccination.

And while in July 2020, blood surveillance indicated the US was only counting one infection out of every three true infections, that fell to one in two a year later.

This was all pre-Delta, the researchers caution. Plus, they didn't measure the other part of the human response -- one involving cells known as T-cells -- and one that might induce broader immunity. But knowing who has antibodies can help inform public health efforts.

"Several large studies have shown that among individuals who are seropositive from prior SARS-CoV-2 infection, COVID-19 incidence is reduced by 80% to 95%, similar to vaccine efficacy estimates," they noted.

"The study will continue until at least December 2021, and results will be made available on the CDC's website," they wrote.

So, takeaways: BEFORE this Delta spike, we were at over 80% of adults having some level of exposure (and thus some level of immunity/resistance).  This tracks with our expectations that we were underreporting overall cases (to be expected -- not everyone who is sick, especially the asymptomatic, gets tested).

So, MAYBE between 1) this Delta burn, 2) a slow burn of increased vaccinations, and 3) approval (soon, we hope) of vaccines for kids, we can get CLOSE to the kind of numbers that present "herd immunity."

Again, we won't eliminate COVID, it is and will continue to be endemic.  But we can keep outbreaks relatively manageable and small, both in numbers and duration.  Maybe.  I dunno.  I'm typing something hopeful, so there's probably something wrong with me.  Maybe I have the rona in my brain.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, MAYBE between 1) this Delta burn, 2) a slow burn of increased vaccinations, and 3) approval (soon, we hope) of vaccines for kids, we can get CLOSE to the kind of numbers that present "herd immunity."

I've semi given up hope for herd immunity assuming new variants will come and go and we'll deal with mild to moderate infections but it does seem if we can continue to increase antibodies we can hopefully reduce the strain on hospitals in the near term.  Would be great if we are living through the last big hospitalization surge.

• Hook 'Em 2

720 cases today in Travis County with 582 hospitalized (third straight day <600 so that is good)

Still skewing higher in school age band than their normal pandemic to date share.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
Cases 9/2 vs 9/1 10 56 95 152 175 96 61 47 20 8 720
% of Daily Change 1.39% 7.78% 13.19% 21.11% 24.31% 13.33% 8.47% 6.53% 2.78% 1.11%  
% of Total Cases 0.73% 4.98% 10.94% 25.69% 20.86% 14.72% 10.83% 6.35% 3.02% 1.88%  

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

720 cases today in Travis County with 582 hospitalized (third straight day <600 so that is good)

Still skewing higher in school age band than their normal pandemic to date share.

Cases 9/2 vs 9/1 10 56 95 152 175 96 61 47 20 8 720
% of Daily Change 1.39% 7.78% 13.19% 21.11% 24.31% 13.33% 8.47% 6.53% 2.78% 1.11%  
% of Total Cases 0.73% 4.98% 10.94% 25.69% 20.86% 14.72% 10.83% 6.35% 3.02% 1.88%  

damn, if there were just something, anything we could do to mitigate the exposure risk. anyone have any suggestions?

Just now, crash_davis said:

damn, if there were just something, anything we could do to mitigate the exposure risk. anyone have any suggestions?

I don't know what can be done. I have heard that people can smear a combination of snake venom, horse paste and fish tank cleaner on their faces as well as up their ass for guaranteed protection. At least that is what the Facebook group called "Gravy Seals for Covid truth" says. I have not tried this myself.

I decided for the radical approach of getting a vaccine and wearing a mask when asked/at stores etc

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Of course we can’t really know how much immunity is in the population because, for some fucking reason, we recalcitrantingly refuse to do a true random sampling and measure antibodies. I mean, it’s trivially simple but no, can’t do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

Of course we can’t really know how much immunity is in the population because, for some fucking reason, we recalcitrantingly refuse to do a true random sampling and measure antibodies. I mean, it’s trivially simple but no, can’t do that.

Umm….I think the article I cited is about a study that did just that?

20 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

found out today that my company has lost 19 people to covid. crazy.

7 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:
20 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

That is crazy. How many employees is the company overall?

4 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I bet they all caught it from that one dude at a Team Building event.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Umm….I think the article I cited is about a study that did just that?

No random sampling. Same as the “Texas Cares” thing that I just got tested for. It’s voluntary. Probably 90% of Austin (or any Texas city) has no idea that Texas Cares is a thing. No, to do it right you have to randomly select say 1000 people in the city, go knock on their door and request a blood sample.

59 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The only thing that can stop illness from COVID is Good guys with COVID. 

A victim of collision on the open sea
Nobody ever said that life was free
Sank, swam, go down with the ship
But use your freedom of choice

I'll say it again in the land of the free
Use your freedom of choice
Your freedom of choice

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

I hear you but it feels pretty crazy to me.

We are now requiring everyone to be vaccinated.

A company that size is self insuring medical and life insurance policies even though they’ll use an insurance company to manage the front end.

19 x $1M in medical care if they all spent weeks in the ICU plus any life insurance payouts are in addition to an average year of expenses.

Yeah, damn right they’re gonna require the vaccine.

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

No random sampling. Same as the “Texas Cares” thing that I just got tested for. It’s voluntary. Probably 90% of Austin (or any Texas city) has no idea that Texas Cares is a thing. No, to do it right you have to randomly select say 1000 people in the city, go knock on their door and request a blood sample.

Holy shit, people are losing their minds about wearing a mask and it being government overreach.  What do you think would be the reaction if people were knocking on doors, asking for blood samples? 

7 minutes ago, Stringer said:

Holy shit, people are losing their minds about wearing a mask and it being government overreach.  What do you think would be the reaction if people were knocking on doors, asking for blood samples? 

The reaction wouldn’t be good, but the government employee should open with “look, we already listen to all your calls and read all your emails and text messages, so how about a vial of blood?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn94 said:

In my friends and coworker circle I have lost 7 people so not that crazy, would have been 9 but 2 cousins out in Abilene that weren't supposed to make it are looking better now but not released from the hospital.

Side note: My sister tested positive and she is vaxxed but company says her and her bf have to stay home for 2 weeks. She just texted me saying she doesn't have that much PTO left. I thought all companies got extra time to give PTO to employees that are quarantining. I know my company has 80 hours for each employee but evidently they don't. I thought this was a thing for all companies?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Yeah, Texas Cares isn't random.  There's an economic factor (based on where the clinics are and who can take time out to get it done) and it's going to skew a few ways - you have people taking the test thought they had covid and want to know, you have people who are vaccinated and want to know what their levels are at and if they need a booster, etc

For the people who have done the study and had a positive COVID infection result, does it give you any antibody information resulting from that infection.  I know of an antivax type who had long haul COVID and whose "lung doctor" told her her prior infection probably would adequately protect her going forward.  Now I don't think any doctor told her any such thing, but if there were a way she could attach a number to that level of protection she claims, maybe it would at least cause her to adjust other habits and social distance a bit.  She's a nice person, but I'm not going to try to teach Egypt a lesson, as another friend of mine likes to say.  She was antivax long before COVID for dumb reasons.

For the people who have done the study and had a positive COVID infection result, does it give you any antibody information resulting from that infection.  I know of an antivax type who had long haul COVID and whose "lung doctor" told her her prior infection probably would adequately protect her going forward.  Now I don't think any doctor told her any such thing, but if there were a way she could attach a number to that level of protection she claims, maybe it would at least cause her to adjust other habits and social distance a bit.  She's a nice person, but I'm not going to try to teach Egypt a lesson, as another friend of mine likes to say.  She was antivax long before COVID for dumb reasons.

Yes. It will give you results for vaccine antibodies and Covid antibodies. My SIL got Covid last October (she’s a nurse and as best we can tell, she got it from work). She then got the vaccine in late December. Her results showed both. The spike antibodies (from vaccine) were about 650 (Pfizer vaccine). Her Covid antibodies were 2.2 I think. But I don’t know that there is really good qualitative data on the level of protection those two types of antibodies provide, or how protection from one antibody compared to the other. I’ve seen references of being recovered from Covid and having vaccine provides higher protection, but not any specifics on that increased protection.

58 minutes ago, shadetree said:

I’ve seen references of being recovered from Covid and having vaccine provides higher protection, but not any specifics on that increased protection.

Thanks.  I've seen that too.  This person isn't getting the shot and she's not too outspoken about it.  But if it ever came up, I'd love to be able to tell her she can go find out how much protection she has from getting it in May 2020, if only to see her come up with some dumb reason that she's sure it's fine.

Continued poor news via NYT. Texas has bounced back to the previous new case highs. School openings?

I included their heat map because East Texas has finally officially fallen victim to the spread of COVID from AR and LA. The real fear is whether those high new case counts will flow into Houston and/or DFW.

Capture - Copy (4).JPG

Capture2 - Copy.JPG