COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

10 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Keep an eye on them. Tylenol/Motrin for fever, watch for any sign of increased respiratory rate or work of breathing. Unless your kid has underlying health issues don’t freak out. Kids are resilient. And most importantly, don’t disregard your parental intuition. As a parent, you know when your kid isn’t right and you should act accordingly. Also, take the advice of your doctor and not internet assholes.

Side note and not to derail but something I found interesting is Children's hospital in Dallas actually tracks a mother's intuition.  We had a kiddo there in the summer and the docs did an exam and concluded nothing was wrong but wanted to observe for a couple of hours (little one had a fall and hit his head).  Well, hour goes by and my wife says something is not right so they do a CT scan and found a slight skull fracture.  No immediate issues and no long-term issues for kiddo.  But the hospital said they would log that it was my wife's intuition that helped them diagnose the issue and that they track mother's intuition as an internal metric.  They also said the intuition is almost always correct.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, alincoln said:

The US data is unsurprisingly horrible so you have to look to countries like the UK for guidance.  In the UK (another nation with high obesity levels although not as high as the US), hospitalizations and deaths have remained relatively stable compared to the period before the onset of omicron.  The UK does have significantly higher vaccination rates than the US (45% of adults have had a third shot). 

This dude continues to have the best data interpretation summaries I have seen:

I like his data rundowns as well, but be careful of his interpretations.  He was a big part of spreading the ivermectin nonsense, as well as the vaccine/heart problem bullshit.   He's not a doctor, but rather has a PhD in nursing education.  So he's not even a nurse, just a guy who studied to teach at a nursing college.  He's repeatedly demonstrated a general misunderstanding of the difference between causation and correlation.  I think he's well intentioned and the problem has mostly been idiots taking his statements out of context and running with them, but there's a reason he's the well they keep drinking from.

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Appreciate the responses. He is 9. Has had a slight fever first time today. Played outside, oxygen good. Have a nebulizer also. Hasnt showed any signs of trouble breathing, coughing or snot drainage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Lil Shep has the Covid?  Or his younger brother?

• Like 1

Has anyone here who’s had Covid noticed an increase in tinnitus? I don’t know if I’m just noticing it more or if it has gotten worse. I’ve been to hundreds and hundreds of shows over the last 30ish years and I rarely wore earplugs, so I know some of my issue is self-induced. But I’m wondering if my Covid case a couple weeks ago impacted it.

54 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Has anyone here who’s had Covid noticed an increase in tinnitus? I don’t know if I’m just noticing it more or if it has gotten worse. I’ve been to hundreds and hundreds of shows over the last 30ish years and I rarely wore earplugs, so I know some of my issue is self-induced. But I’m wondering if my Covid case a couple weeks ago impacted it.

What?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

welp...my sister and her bff spent new year's up at dad's ranch in NE TX and apparently had a big ol' covid party cuz they all have it now 😕

mild so far for sister and friend, both vaxxed but not boostered. friend lost taste and smell for two days but that's coming back as of this morning. sister had fever on the way home Wednesday but this morning she's feeling mild allergy-like symptoms. they did at home tests to confirm. 

dad was fine yesterday...and was serving lunch at the local soup kitchen up there 😐 started getting a scratchy throat and dry cough this morning. congratulations dad, you served more than turkey sandwiches to the great unwashed masses in Anderson county 🙄

thank god he got his booster just before thanksgiving! i mean those salt-of-the-earth folks up there basically never acknowledged there even WAS a pandemic. dad was embarrassed about me wearing a mask in Kroger a year ago 😒

anyways...hoping it all pans out okay.

a friend and her family in Nashville also got it over New Year's, also all vaxxed...but they all almost exclusively had stomach issues. no fever or respiratory issues, just massive fatigue and stomach problems.

just so weird!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

I took a look over there on Texags.  Look at this poor fellow.  Refused to get vaccinated.  Things went downhill for him quickly.  Hope he gets better.

image.png.7aeff661d7a31f2f5685d03fce00cc50.png

image.png.5d98f0e952afd89cd97020f35b57e301.png

Another poster was hospitalized a month ago or so. He said was did not regret being unvaccinated (because he recovered), would never get vaccinated (because they believe natural immunity lasts forever), and did not recommend that anyone else get vaccinated (muh freedoms). Dude got several hundred upvotes. 

They’ve had at least one poster die - a rural physician in North Texas, I believe, who caught COVID on the front lines during the winter surge. They had a whole memorial thread where everyone was posting “gig ‘em” or some aggy nonsense. Someone suggested that they honor his memory by taking the surge seriously and practice masking and social distancing. The thread turned into total uproar as though someone had just pissed on his grave.

I just do not understand how they have comprehended the experience of the past two years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

I took a look over there on Texags.  Look at this poor fellow.  Refused to get vaccinated.  Things went downhill for him quickly.  Hope he gets better.

image.png.7aeff661d7a31f2f5685d03fce00cc50.png

image.png.5d98f0e952afd89cd97020f35b57e301.png

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3263974/1

I read that whole thread…and then some…and then I noped outta there.  We have/had our own brand of ‘just asking questions’ but place is 70%+

image.gif.371d8bf62982eb961fc3af35331a4e8e.gif

21 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Side note and not to derail but something I found interesting is Children's hospital in Dallas actually tracks a mother's intuition.  We had a kiddo there in the summer and the docs did an exam and concluded nothing was wrong but wanted to observe for a couple of hours (little one had a fall and hit his head).  Well, hour goes by and my wife says something is not right so they do a CT scan and found a slight skull fracture.  No immediate issues and no long-term issues for kiddo.  But the hospital said they would log that it was my wife's intuition that helped them diagnose the issue and that they track mother's intuition as an internal metric.  They also said the intuition is almost always correct.

Did I ever mention the time that my wife thought my son was having appendicitis and his appendix was about to burst so we rushed him to the ER (against my advice and at her insistence) where they promptly diagnosed him as being constipated? That cost me about $3,500 IIRC. We have an entire thread here dedicated to mother's intuition. They should go track that motherfucker and then get back to me.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I mentioned it on the vaccine thread, but it popped up for me with the vaccine.  I noticed it a little bit, but the booster really made it worse.

There is nothing definitive or peer reviewed out there, but there are some indications that vaccines/COVID can cause tinnitus in rare cases.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

If you have school age kids that do not have an underlying condition and/or BMI>40 you are in a pretty much worry free zone in terms of Covid mortality. Not saying they won't get sick/feel like shit, just that they are highly unlikely to die from it.

Can I set up a coffee between you and my ex wife so you can explain all this to her?  For some reason she doesn't listen to me.

3 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

They’ve had at least one poster die - a rural physician in North Texas, I believe, who caught COVID on the front lines during the winter surge. They had a whole memorial thread where everyone was posting “gig ‘em” or some aggy nonsense. Someone suggested that they honor his memory by taking the surge seriously and practice masking and social distancing. The thread turned into total uproar as though someone had just pissed on his grave.

I just do not understand how they have comprehended the experience of the past two years. 

They are aggy football fans.  Everything is always going to improve in two years.  Just have to be patient and have faith.

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Three deaths for the week ending Jan 7th

40 to 49 (1)

50 to 59 (1)

70 to 79 (1)

Below are mortality rates for Travis County Pandemic to date by age group:

<1 year old (0%)

1 to 9 (0%)

10 to 19 (0.007%)

20 to 29 (0.051%)

30 to 39 (0.151%)

40 to 49 (0.466%)

50 to 59 (1.156%)

60 to 69 (3.475%)

70 to 79 (7.198%)

80+ (14.129%)

If you have school age kids that do not have an underlying condition and/or BMI>40 you are in a pretty much worry free zone in terms of Covid mortality. Not saying they won't get sick/feel like shit, just that they are highly unlikely to die from it.

On other hand if you are >80 and say "Fuck the vaccine" you have a real good chance of dying.

It is beyond frustrating that our leadership and heath care professionals who are on tv all the time don't explicitly state this enough where everyone can understand the actual risks.  There is a sizeable part of our population who truly believes if they get Covid it's 50-50 on whether they end up on a ventilator.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stringer said:

I mentioned it on the vaccine thread, but it popped up for me with the vaccine.  I noticed it a little bit, but the booster really made it worse.

There is nothing definitive or peer reviewed out there, but there are some indications that vaccines/COVID can cause tinnitus in rare cases.  

I got my booster two days before I got Covid, so the timing is basically the same for me. 

I’ve felt like crap for two days. Finally had raised temp today. Not official “fever” per the nurse. I tired to explain that I normally run cold. Home Covid test was negative. I think allergies because I’ve had this kind of reaction to cedar before. New symptom for me though is that when I cough (not that frequently as of yet) it feels like how broken ribs feel. The feeling is across my chest. I figure maybe I coughed in my sleep last night and my chest is sore. No idea really though.
It’s been almost five months since my Pfizer booster. Oxygen levels are fine so I’m hoping it passes soon like you other fully vaccinated.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

It is beyond frustrating that our leadership and heath care professionals who are on tv all the time don't explicitly state this enough where everyone can understand the actual risks.  There is a sizeable part of our population who truly believes if they get Covid it's 50-50 on whether they end up on a ventilator.

If we were better than what we are I would agree with you. 

Started feeling bad Tuesday all of sudden.  Fever, bad aches, bad headache and slight congestion.  Got tested and positive, but symptoms only lasted till Thursday afternoon and tested negative today.  Seems to be a theme with lots of the omicron cases.  My first case of Covid, so I’m glad I never went thru maybe losing my taste for months.   

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/ut-omicron-projections-covid-19-cases-will-peak-in-the-next-few-days/

Interesting data from UT about the potential peak.

The University of Texas at Austin COVID-19 modeling consortium has run updated omicron projections which show the United States will likely hit its peak number of cases in the next few days, but that we could see a healthcare surge well beyond what we’ve seen previously in the pandemic. 

The consortium put out 16 projections last month that showed how the U.S. might fare against the omicron variant, but at the time much of the information about omicrons characteristics were unknown. Now, the consortium has rerun those projections as more data has been collected.

The good news: Even in the most pessimistic projection, researchers believe COVID-19 cases will peak within the next week. Some models showed the peak could even happen within the next few days. 

Surges and peaks in case numbers typically supersede trends in hospitalizations and deaths, which could peak several weeks after case numbers do. Projections showed case numbers might go down as dramatically as they spiked.

“The model is predicting that after this wave subsides then the numbers of cases will be extremely low because there will be some sort of immunity in the population,” Anass Bouchnita from the COVID-19 modeling consortium said. He noted that could change if another variant forms.

The bad news: Of those updated projections, the most pessimistic — which assumes omicron is as transmissible as delta but significantly more evasive of immunity and vaccines — shows we will experience the largest healthcare surge to date.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t  want to read all of that small type on my phone, but I looked enough to see that it appears to be a nationwide projection. 
i feel like the entire nation doesn’t go through this on the same way and at the same time, and more granular regional breakdowns might be better able to identify localized peaks and health care stresses in a way that is more helpful to the people in those regions. 

did I miss that in the projection page?

I have the cron. 75% of my daughter's class this week is out.  the last 2 days headache, sneezed for a half a day.  Did not get tested. Head is kinda hurting like the 1st round which was brutal. So mild. Can we wrap up this disease? I am dirty unvaxxed but natural immunity. I got banned by a psycho lady for saying natural immunity is as a good as vax.  then she got the covid with 3 shots.  I was right all along.

Edited by Passive Aggressive Coach
  • Fuck You 31

2 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

I have the cron. 75% of my daughter's class this week is out.  the last 2 days headache, sneezed for a half a day.  Did not get tested. Head is kinda hurting like the 1st round which was brutal. So mild. Can we wrap up this disease? I am dirty unvaxxed but natural immunity. I got banned by a psycho lady for saying natural immunity is as a good as vax.  then she got the covid with 3 shots.  I was right all along.

So you’ve has it twice and the vaxxed person once? But you were right?

3 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

It apparently infected your brain.  I recommend a lobotomy.  Or two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

image.gif.f1b73a5fe5c922398644924071fea034.gif

• Haha 3